PDA

View Full Version : What's this black button for?

VX KAT
12/27/2008, 08:15 AM
Found a black push button switch on the black driver's side kick panel. Anybody know what it's for? Nothing in owner's manual. Is it OEM or a mod somebody made? Pic in my gallery.
:confused:

Y33TREKker
12/27/2008, 08:26 AM
Passenger side ejector seat? :p

If you bought it used, you might just have to ask the previous owner. It could be anything.

Ldub
12/27/2008, 08:31 AM
It's not OEM, hidden like that, I'd guess that it might be an ignitoin cut out, installed as theft prevention.

VX KAT
12/27/2008, 08:53 AM
From used car dealership...didn't know squat....

My guess was kill switch too since it was hidden and probably could be pushed using the foot. I'll try it out today. I pushed it yesterday just because that's natural when you see a button..."gee, what's this, let's push it"...car wasn't on. Haven't started it since, so I was thinking yesterday, boy, that was dumb, shouldn't have pushed that button w/o knowing what it does. We'll see if car starts today! (OTHERWISE it dang well should start as I installed a red top battery Wednesday!).

Y33TREKker
12/27/2008, 09:15 AM
What does the wiring connect to?

rureadyto69
12/27/2008, 10:39 AM
if it has an alarm i could be for that to shut it on and off thats what mine has down there

mdwyer
12/28/2008, 10:34 PM
This isn't the keyfob programming button, is it? I know that is down there somewhere, but I've never been able to (or had to) find it.

etlsport
12/29/2008, 04:00 AM
nah, there are no buttons stock on that kick plate, its definitely aftermarket.. more than likely for an alarm of some kind

the stock button on the factory alarm is on a black box under the dash.. it doesnt really even look like a button, it looks more lilke a hole in the box that is green on the inside

VX KAT
12/30/2008, 11:52 AM
I tinkered with it just a little so far, found it's connected to a white wire behind the kick panel, but haven't followed it. I turned car on, pushed black button----nothing. Turned car off, pushed black button, tried to start...it started....not sure if I'm doing it correctly or not...or even what it is, but being so hidden, it must have something to do with an alarm or kill switch.

I just ordered a Remote for the factory alarm system (I did find the black box down there with the green button). After I get the remote, I'm going to play around some more to try to figure out what the black button does. It's on the far edge of the kick panel , way up under the dash, so it's as hidden as it could possibly be.

Am I testing the kill switch function in the right order?

iamironman
12/30/2008, 05:56 PM
Am I testing the kill switch function in the right order?

Does it work when you do that order??
ummm... then I guess it's the right order....

Marlin
12/30/2008, 06:04 PM
nah, there are no buttons stock on that kick plate, its definitely aftermarket.. more than likely for an alarm of some kind

the stock button on the factory alarm is on a black box under the dash.. it doesnt really even look like a button, it looks more lilke a hole in the box that is green on the inside

That black button is definitely for an aftermarket alarm. All alarms come with some button feature, for valet,programming, over riding the alarm and so on and are almost always placed somewhere in the foot area of the driver's side on a kick panel. Under the hood there may even be a siren somewhere, or marks where it once was and possibly a control module under the dash if it was a nicer alarm.

pbkid
12/30/2008, 07:43 PM
ya, most likely an alarm....

if you wanna trace it without taking your car apart try this and see if there is any results of siren chirps....

turn ignition on then immediately off, within 10 seconds, hold the button for 3-5 seconds... if there is a chirp then there is an aftermarket alarm...(even if there isnt a chirp there still could be aftermarket, but this will tell you if everything is hooked up)

however, if you do this, then you have entered programming mode, so dont push the button anymore or you may cause some problems....just dont touch it and it should chirp again, and so exiting programming mode..

just a quick way for you to check...
granted, dont rely on if it doesnt chirp it not having an alarm, it could be disconnected or missing parts....definately look at it deeper to see if its just remnants of an alarm...

Waderizer
01/02/2009, 07:12 PM
maybe its a self destruct button, naa who'd wanna destroy a vx....

kpaske
01/03/2009, 12:43 AM
Guys, I am sooo going to install a black button in some conspicuous place when I sell my VX and not tell anyone what it's for. Muuuuuhahaha!!! ;Db;

Marlin
01/03/2009, 07:09 AM
maybe its a self destruct button, naa who'd wanna destroy a vx....

I know exactly who.........

The countless owners of Jeep Wranglers that are still miffed about having a Vx pull them out of the mud:flame:

VCrossfan
01/03/2009, 07:27 AM
I know exactly who.........

The countless owners of Jeep Wranglers that are still miffed about having a Vx pull them out of the mud:flame:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/thumbs/80cnv0017.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3220)

mdwyer
01/03/2009, 09:13 AM
Guys, I am sooo going to install a black button in some conspicuous place when I sell my VX and not tell anyone what it's for. Muuuuuhahaha!!! ;Db;

My house came with at least three light switches that connect up to who-knows-what. I figure I should install a couple more before I sell it.

VCrossfan
01/03/2009, 11:27 AM
My house came with at least three light switches that connect up to who-knows-what. I figure I should install a couple more before I sell it.

LMAO X 2

kpaske
01/04/2009, 10:41 PM

Or a few dummy electrical outlets just for good measure. ;)

Y33TREKker
01/05/2009, 10:27 AM
Like this one maybe? :smilewink

Mystery Light Switch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV0GGspZAos&feature=PlayList&p=C2363E8F2735C79D&playnext=1&index=11)

don moore
01/06/2009, 10:41 AM
i love that comercial

VX KAT
01/16/2009, 09:07 PM
Solved the mystery of the "black button"....when I had my fog lights installed, shop found that it was an after market alarm, (Brand was Automate, ever heard of it?), siren's gone, chopped wire at harness, cut wire to LED. Who would go through trouble of taking apart dash (which guy told me was a pain), chop out the alarm system?....Previous owner wanted to keep it before he traded it in? Guy also noted that several screws were missing to various parts in the dash....sounds like somebody took a shortcut when reassembling dash.

OEM Keyless remote arrives tomorrow, hope the OEM system still works!

alanbradley
01/17/2009, 05:30 AM
Solved the mystery of the "black button"....when I had my fog lights installed, shop found that it was an after market alarm, (Brand was Automate, ever heard of it?), siren's gone, chopped wire at harness, cut wire to LED. Who would go through trouble of taking apart dash (which guy told me was a pain), chop out the alarm system?....Previous owner wanted to keep it before he traded it in? Guy also noted that several screws were missing to various parts in the dash....sounds like somebody took a shortcut when reassembling dash.

That all sounds very familiar. I had to have the aftermarket alarm removed when it started to smoke. It cost me £60 and there was a LOT of wire to remove as someone had tried to fit a remote start at the same time. Later I found the same type of alarm for sale on e-Bay for £30...

Of course, on removal the car didn't run properly and it was discovered that every single wire between the steering column and the rest of the car had been cut and then bodged, that the engine was probably running with the wrong earth and that - in many ways - the car had been thoroughly ****** over at some point in its life. Got it (almost) all sorted though and the difference it made was huge!

A