PDA

View Full Version : Can a water pump fall off?

ChicagoKelly
12/25/2008, 12:52 PM
Been hearing a slap, slap, slap sound under the hood of my 99 VX. Figured it'd be a belt replacement which I'd do asap. Today I'm heading out of town on Christmas when I hear a loud "crack" sound, like a heavy rock hitting the windshield. My battery light suddenly goes on and I lose my power steering.

Opened hood and drive belt fell right off in my hands. Belt in great shape - no fraying or wear I could see.

Heres the photos. The fan clutch appears to have worked loose. The 3 bolts holding it to engine were all the way out and ready to fall into road. The fan blades are up against the radiator filter and were about to be driven THROUGH the radiator. I dont see any water pump anyplace. Could it have fallen off when I heard the clunk?

Just had WHOLE ENGINE replaced 10 months ago for $7500+ of my hard earned money. While replacing engine, mech also replaced Water Pump and timing belot.

Seems that a water pump shouldnt just "fall off" like that, am I right? What do you guys think might've happened here?

Please let me know! Thanks - Kelly

http://www.idsight.com/images/vehicross/vehi1.jpg
<P>
http://www.idsight.com/images/vehicross/vehi2.jpg

psychos2
12/25/2008, 01:24 PM
The water pump is behind the timing belt cover. The fan clutch mount is just bolted to the front of the motor. shawn

ChicagoKelly
12/25/2008, 01:40 PM
thanks psychos2!

i wonder how the fan clutch could just come "loose" like that tho? Is that common? I didn't hit anything so this is really weird.:confused:

THANKS for any info!!

rowhard
12/25/2008, 05:08 PM
Well, if the bolts were not stripped or sheared, I'd say the mechanic you paid 7500 bucks to FAILED to torque them.

iamironman
12/25/2008, 05:15 PM
thanks psychos2!

i wonder how the fan clutch could just come "loose" like that tho? Is that common? I didn't hit anything so this is really weird.:confused:

THANKS for any info!!

SABOTAGE' !!! It's them thar RUSSKIES!!! A sleeper cell is in your village!! Manchurian Candidate!!! One phone call...
a whispered code trigger... and they go out looking for VXes...
They're jealous the US got more VXes than they did!!!
IT'S A CONSPIRACY (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2iiu989&s=5) I tell YA!!! :bomb::bomb: :eek::eek:

What? who me?? No... I'm not bored.... why you ask??

don moore
12/25/2008, 05:45 PM
looks like the fan had a cracked blade..maybe from a bad install..from a used one or instaling and coming contact with some thing.. the crack wouldnt show. but the pic showed were it was cracked .and then the give away crack.and the sound you heard might be the blade coming off as it turned..and that vibration of a missing blade would shake and maybe just maybe.. cause the bolts that were on to tight or to loose..would bend or do what happened..
thats just my guess..

sorry ..
is it me ..does the pictures seem very big
????

ChicagoKelly
12/25/2008, 06:01 PM
thanks. i wanted to make the pics smaller but couldnt figure out how to do it!

so if i just tighten the fan clutch back on and reattach the serpentine belt, i should be fine sounds like.

thanks for your help!!!

VCrossfan
12/25/2008, 06:08 PM
$7500 for an engine replacement ,,they should not have replaced the Timing Belt/Water Pump because it should all be "BRAND NEW" AT THAT COST. And if your water pump falls off this means your motor has stopped, as it is part of the Timing Belt route. Sound like they snugged the clutch fan bracket bolts during re-assembly (and forgot to go back and torque them) and it's taken 6 months for them to finally work there way out. Sorry to hear about it and any garage with a good rep will take care of it...Good Luck

psychos2
12/25/2008, 11:13 PM
thanks. i wanted to make the pics smaller but couldnt figure out how to do it!

so if i just tighten the fan clutch back on and reattach the serpentine belt, i should be fine sounds like.

thanks for your help!!!

You will need to replace the fan as one of the blades is missing. And as long as none of the bolt holes are stripped you can just reattach the fan clutch. shawn

VehiGAZ
12/26/2008, 08:54 AM
If the fan lost a blade first, the resulting vibration could have caused anything to fall off.

If not, we'll chalk this episode up in the "con" column on whether you should replace a working water pump "while you're in there" for another job (i.e., T-belt).

Y33TREKker
12/26/2008, 10:06 AM
Is it just me, or is your timing belt cover missing?

psychos2
12/26/2008, 12:53 PM
Is it just me, or is your timing belt cover missing?

No it is not.

and for vehigaz, the timing belt and wp have been replaced. The fan assembly is not attached to the pump,the pump is behind the timing cover.The only issues are whether the bolt holes are stripped and that the fan has to be replaced. shawn

ChicagoKelly
12/26/2008, 07:00 PM
thanks so much you guys! it sounds like i could just buy the fan clutch and fan blade from St Charles and bolt them on myself, right? (as long as the bolts aren't stripped) is there any special equipment i'd need to get the serpentine belt on? i'm just wondering how'd i'd get that on and make sure its tight. THANKS!!

Solitude
12/27/2008, 03:45 PM
Well, if the bolts were not stripped or sheared, I'd say the mechanic you paid 7500 bucks to FAILED to torque them.

You may need to pressure check your cooling system, thats alot of damage to the radiator