PDA

View Full Version : My Red Top's DEAD

BeeVenom
12/23/2008, 12:07 PM
Any suggestions on battery replacement. My Optima Red Top died after not that many years, about 4-5 years. I'm questioning whether or not i should get a RedTop again. What do ya think?
Scott

ZEUS
12/23/2008, 12:22 PM
I used to swear by the Optimas years ago but I don't have anything good to say about them anymore really - I have had red tops and yellow tops. The 1st one I bought I later replaced and that one is coming up on it's 6th year and in that time I bought 3 other ones. All of those later purchases failed me - most lost their charge and the ability to hold a charge. The warranty isn't as good as it used to be either... that should tell you something.

etlsport
12/23/2008, 12:57 PM
ive been told that die hard platinum batteries are made up similarly to the optimas.. and they have a 4 year warranty.. no experience with them though

but ive had my optima blue top for a while.. 2 years i think with no issues at all

circmand
12/23/2008, 01:52 PM
and replace more often on a regular schedule it is cheaper.

kpaske
12/23/2008, 03:12 PM
I used to swear by Optimas as well - I used to run a blue top, but after two of them each failed on me after sitting for just a few weeks (this was supposed to be their strong point!), I'm now using an AutoZone Duralast Gold. While these too have had their issues (they always seem to die on me right when it gets REALLY cold in the winter), AutoZone's 3 year warranty (with free replacement) makes it worth it - 3 to 4 batteries in 3 years time for less than the price of one Optima. This year I bought a trickle charger to use during the really cold months, so we'll see how well that works.

rowhard
12/23/2008, 04:07 PM
I am so happy to see these post, and the negative input on these optima batteries. I have thought about switching to one just because, then I would see the price and think, nah, can't really justify that now. I will just stick with the tried and proven lead acid battery. If I should end up, upside down, a battery leaking would be the least of my worries.

Solitude
12/23/2008, 04:44 PM
Dura Last Gold,

tomdietrying
12/23/2008, 05:37 PM
I bought the Opitima Red about 4 years ago at Sears. It only lasted 2 years 11 months. Sears told me the Optima changed hands recently and the quality control is not what it used to be. Anyhow, the Optima was still under warrenty. I paid $20, and got the Die Hard Platnium w/ a four year warrenty.
It's only been a year, but I've been really happy with it so far.
Peace.
Tom

psychos2
12/23/2008, 11:36 PM
I have a blue top in my vx. It was a batt that had been in a boat for 4 years and was getting a new batt. Charged it up and put it in the vx and 3 years later still going strong. My vx sat most of the summer probably 4 or 5 weeks at a time,started every time. shawn

Cobrajet
12/24/2008, 06:02 AM
I've been a fan of Sears Diehard batteries for decades. I wanted to get one for my '82 Mustand GT, but the best I could get was Plus Start. It's been in the car for over a year, and even though the Mustang sits out in the cold untouched for weeks/months, it always starts. I bought a Plus Start for my daughter's Echo yesterday (Christmas present) for $50. The Diehard in my VX dies a couple months ago just days after the free replacement warranty expired. Got it replaced with another for the cost of the analysis plus $10.

nfpgasmask
12/24/2008, 08:35 AM
Wow, I have been using the same Optima Red Top since 2004 or 2005. When I bought my VX, I pulled the Optima battery out of my Xterra and put it in the VX. Been going good ever since. *knock on wood* Maybe I got one of the old (good) ones? :confused:

Bart

Chopper
12/24/2008, 10:33 AM
I too have Optima Red Top batteries in everything....never a hitch. I have run them down using the radio for hours, but no problem jumping it and charging it on the ride home. Mine are all a few years old at least....so I don't know:_confused

VehiGAZ
12/24/2008, 12:28 PM
Any suggestions on battery replacement. My Optima Red Top died after not that many years, about 4-5 years. I'm questioning whether or not i should get a RedTop again. What do ya think?
Scott

4-5 years is about how long ANY battery is going to last.

My recommendation is to buy a battery with the longest warranty you can find.

I use Costco's Kirkland batteries - 100% warranty for the first 3 years, then prorated for the next 2 years after that. I just replaced my 2-year old battery 2 weeks ago - jumped the VX, drove it to Costco, pulled it out, walked in to get a new one, then popped it in right in the parking lot - free (although the customer service chick wanted to refund my original purchase price, which was no good for me since the prices went up).

newthings
12/24/2008, 12:40 PM
At the risk of jinxing myself, I have had the same yellow top in the VX since 2003 and a red top in my wife's Safari van since 2003.
Roy

Brian Drinks
12/24/2008, 01:40 PM
Hey i had my red top since 2004 and it die on me last month do to a dead cell but it was still under warranty so autozone prorated,i just had to pay like $30 something to get another NO COMPLANTS.