PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper support completely rusted off.. need help against dealer

killinformula
12/22/2008, 09:09 AM
So after going to the dealer to have them change the brakes, while on the jack i took an even closer look at the car to discover that the front bumper (the metal bar) was completely rusted off the brackets that bolt to the frame! i showed the dealer and he was like, well we will have to talk about it after x mas, well i found a replacement front bumper for 133 (can i get it cheaper???) bucks online and called him today to tell him that he needed to order it and iw ould even come in with the cladding off and all he had to do was bolt it up, but he said "wait you want me to pay for it" and i said plainly "yes", so he says he will get back to me on it... What can I do? i talked to the DMV and if he doesnt comply i am going to tell him i am going to file a complaint, and if he doesnt bend, i will. It just pisses me off to see that, please help me out with this problem!

Thanks guys/gals

braden

Y33TREKker
12/22/2008, 09:29 AM
Well that's definitely an attempt to take advantage of the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty. I'm not sure how common it is for the bumper supports to rust off, (although I do remember hearing of a similar incident awhile back), but I'm curious what it was that the DMV told you. Are you saying that you bought the VX from this dealer, and the bumper supports are one of the inspection items required by law to be fixed before a vehicle can be sold in a particluar state?

Or are you just trying to get it replaced under warranty?

killinformula
12/22/2008, 09:42 AM
no the bumper is not part of the inspection, it would just be a complaint against the dealer, for not informing me about the problem. car is not under warranty, it is just a matter of state laws informing the buyer of what they are getting and problems with the car that are there under purchase

lasturbo
12/22/2008, 09:59 AM
It sounds like if the "dealer" you bought the car from has to perform a valid "safety inspection," and part of the inspection is to make sure the bumpers are compliant, you may have a case then. Request the inspection report if they stated they did perform one. Each state is different but it sounds legit. Mine is the same way on the right side but not severe to affect the mounting of it (just the end tube portion is mission) and seems common for the east coast or snow VX's from past board talk. Good luck!

WILLY
12/22/2008, 10:13 AM
Well if u bought it used with no warranty, it is an as is sale,metal rusts,u will prolly have to suck it up like the rest of us.

vt_maverick
12/22/2008, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately I'm with WILLY - I would be very surprised if the state went with you on this one, especially if you bought it without a warranty (aka "as-is"). Severe rust is not altogether unexpected for a 9 year old vehicle, depending on where/if it was garaged and how it was driven. If I were you I'd try to negotiate with the dealership to split the cost with you, offer you some free MX, etc. rather than threaten to go to the state to get it completely covered. Chances are you either won't win or you'll have to spend at least the next six months fighting over what sounds like only $133. If you didn't inspect the underside at all before you bought and it only costs you that much to fix, consider yourself lucky to have learned the lesson cheaply.

lasturbo
12/22/2008, 12:33 PM
killinformula, please send me the link for the $133.00 bumper reinforcement cuz a factory one is about $230.00. Thanks!!

nfpgasmask
12/22/2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it sounds like it all depends what you have in the fine print of the deal you made with the dealer. If you signed away for it anywhere and it says "sold as is" than you may be SOL.

Bart

killinformula
12/22/2008, 03:05 PM
killinformula, please send me the link for the $133.00 bumper reinforcement cuz a factory one is about $230.00. Thanks!!

I called every one of the places that have them online for 132 or 133 bucks and they say in 2 weeks they will have them in, i think they are the same company, even though they are different sites... or they just both dont have it and never will... one site is http://www.automotix.net/bodyparts/1999_2001-isuzu-vehicross-bumper_reinforcement-i012505.html

lasturbo
12/22/2008, 04:38 PM
I called every one of the places that have them online for 132 or 133 bucks and they say in 2 weeks they will have them in, i think they are the same company, even though they are different sites... or they just both dont have it and never will... one site is http://www.automotix.net/bodyparts/1999_2001-isuzu-vehicross-bumper_reinforcement-i012505.html

Yeah,
I have not tried this one yet but the past ones said the same thing. "Not in stock" and no eta or 2 weeks. I guess if you get it or vice versa for me, let me know cuz I am down for one as well!!
BTW, welcome to the family too. I came aboard with my 1999 VX in July of 2008 w/135k.:bwgy:

killinformula
12/23/2008, 11:06 AM
Spoke with the dealer today and he agreed to pay for the part... getting one off another board member. Thanks for all the help and information guys.

tom4bren
12/23/2008, 11:26 AM
If this part continues to be a problem for folks, I can check with 'welder guy' to see how much he would charge to fab some. Lemme know.

killinformula
12/23/2008, 11:44 AM
If this part continues to be a problem for folks, I can check with 'welder guy' to see how much he would charge to fab some. Lemme know.

I work at an aerospace plant as a designer and our weld shop is full of peopel who do side work to make extra $, i talked to a guy yesterday who offered to do it for 20 bucks, hes a good friend of mine and very talented... he said material for a good steel would be around 30-40 bucks. i think the design is important as far as bends due to fitment but as well as it not buckling under a front impact. There would definetely be a neeed for a bow like bend or a copy of the original, a standard bumper reinforcent that is a rectangle just wouldnt due since the reinforcement is bolted to but separated from the body

tom4bren
12/23/2008, 11:57 AM
Understood. I'm not going to do anything unless someone is interested. Mine is in good shape so he could use that as a guide for fabbing a prototype.

towerat
12/25/2008, 07:43 PM
I would be catious in building these to sell lawers love that sort of thing I would hate to see your friend get in trouble because of a over zelous lawer.

tom4bren
12/29/2008, 07:35 AM
I don't make any money on it so implied liability would be hard to prove.

Woodsman
12/30/2008, 08:50 AM
I have the same problem- we took off the front cladding to sort out peeling paint (caused by filling in a dent over the original paint?) and found the bumper badly rusted. Not yet a safety hazard I hope but needs sorting before it does fall off. In the UK, Isuzu dealers seem to even less helpful than those in the states. Has anyone got the Isuzu original part number? If we can quote this we may get some help in sourcing a replacement.

VX crazy
12/30/2008, 10:57 AM
I have the same problem- we took off the front cladding to sort out peeling paint (caused by filling in a dent over the original paint?) and found the bumper badly rusted. Not yet a safety hazard I hope but needs sorting before it does fall off. In the UK, Isuzu dealers seem to even less helpful than those in the states. Has anyone got the Isuzu original part number? If we can quote this we may get some help in sourcing a replacement.

Isuzu part number is 89714 35345

Woodsman
12/31/2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the instant response, mate

Talk about good service! This shows the value of this site.

Cheers