PDA

View Full Version : Your village has a new idiot!

TheGanzman
12/21/2008, 06:35 PM
At least it looks that way. I've found an '01 Black/Black-Grey VX out of IL - 76K mi., stone stock, never off-roaded, pampered/babied by non-Forum owner who just lost his job. Everything works, including the CD changer; driver's window hangs up occasionally. Uses under a quart of oil per 3K miles, all there including the roof rack and cargo net; missing the remote "clickers" and roof rack "filler plugs". My buddy checked it out this weekend and gave me the thumbs-up, so I had him give the guy $1K down on a (probably too much) $10K purchase price. I kinda felt sorry for the guy losing his job, being a single parent w/a 14 year old, so I couldn't bear to work him down any more. It may be 2-3 months before I have it back here in SoCal - don't wanna "spring it" on the wife unit for awhile. Meanwhile, it'll live in my buddie's Mom's carport in Carbondale IL under a (to be supplied) cover. Got a coupla questions for you mooks:

- Didn't ALL '01's come stock w/the keyless entry/alarm system? If so, other than buying a couple remotes, what will be involved to get the clickers to "mate" with the host?

- Since the stock 18" wheels are chrome-plated over aluminum, has anyone here sandblasted or otherwise removed the plating and just run the aluminum/polished aluminum wheels?

- Have many of you painted the cladding to match the body? If so, how has the durability been, long-term?

I'll not likely mod it too much, but AM planning on the Tone rear-view mirror camera/monitor, and the Tone trailer hitch (so I can haul my bikes); I'll also install some Ravo aluminum pedals and shift knobs. O.K. - MAYbe a CF dash kit too; exterior-wise, IMHO Isuzu got it pretty damned good right outta the box! I'm stoked - this'll be my daily driver when I turn in my Chrysler 300C SRT8; couldn't BRING myself to buy anything new! Thought about getting another used Wrangler (loved my '99!), but I decided to go with something alittle "different" this time around - plus I think the VX will be a bit more practical than the Jeep for daily driving/hauling tasks; certainly COOLER looking! Not likely I'll "see myself" twenty times/day like I did with my Wrangler either!

pbkid
12/21/2008, 07:15 PM
nice!!! welcome to the fam... :cool:

Triathlete
12/21/2008, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the addiction!

Strip those wheels and powdercoat them black!:cool:

If you search this site you will find some posts on programming the remote. You should be able to get the remotes for pretty cheep through St. Charles Isuzu (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewarticle&id=13). Ask for Merlin tell him you heard about him here...10% discount and free shipping.

Cladding has been painted by several members. Do a quick search and you should find several threads.

Hmmm! maybe you should plan a road trip in May to go pick it up with a detour through Moab where you can meet up with 20+ VX enthusiests for a little wheel time in The new ride and find out just what that bad boy is really capable of!:bwgy:

kodiak
12/21/2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome!!:_beer:

The keyless entry in the VX is pretty common, You can find remots that will work from Isuzu Toyota and Lexus models. If you do a search on eBay for “BAB237131-013” you’ll find one pretty quick.

tomdietrying
12/21/2008, 10:07 PM
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to our (and now your) villiage!

Peace.
Tom

tom4bren
12/22/2008, 05:18 AM
Your color choice is probably the only one that this forum would support for painted cladding. Most here seem to like the contrast between the other colors & the black cladding.

Don't worry about having paid too much, quite a few members did (myself included). That's what the addiction is all about.

Springing it on the 'wife unit'. Try what I did. Tell her you bought it for her ... HMMM ... didn't work for me either.

Typically, sandblasting off a chrome finish is difficult. It can be done but be prepared to spend a significant amount of time working at it. I seem to remember a couple of members finding shops that can refinish rims. If I find the thread, I'll let you know.

Good luck & congratulations on your purchase.

VCrossfan
12/22/2008, 08:34 AM
:thumbup:Welcome:thumbup:...... On your wheels if your chrome is holding good and you want to PowderCoat them you only need to sandblast the shine off to promote adhesion (a nice haze) it doesn't need to be totally removed:luck: I think a Gun Metal Gray would look nice...

TheGanzman
12/22/2008, 09:47 AM
Update - Well, something has come up (wife's year-end bonus, that she's gotten since THE BEGINNING OF TIME, is not gonna be given out) - my fun money is gonna be diverted temporarily to pay year-end property taxes.:(

The good news - if anyone is looking for a super-clean Ebony/Black-Grey VX, call James in IL: 217/440-8788. He's a great guy, and his VX is near spotless - if he could keep it in his HOUSE instead of his carport, I believe he would!:) It's got 76K miles, everything works including the windows and the CD changer, and it uses minimal oil. Gots the roof rack too!

I'm gonna hold off buying for NOW, but don't count me out! In a few months, I'll be "healed" again financially, and there will be a black VX in my future! Thanks to all for your support and answers; I'll still be here pesterin' you guys!:bwgy:

VCrossfan
12/22/2008, 10:08 AM
:luck: