PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 $10 Rebate

Dare2Dream
12/18/2008, 05:37 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but just a heads up on this:

"Due to the impact of Hurricane Ike on our raw material suppliers, there is limited availability of Mobil 1. If you are finding the product out of stock in your area, please know that we are working quickly to get a full selection of Mobil 1 motor oils back in stock.

To show our commitment to our most loyal customers during this time, we are offering a $10 online rebate toward a future Mobil 1 purchase."

More info here:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?threadid=1085953

rowhard
12/18/2008, 06:57 PM
Dare2Dream, thank you for the early Christmas present

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/18/2008, 07:21 PM
Good find....just a head's up that it's for next year between April 1st & August 31st.

kpaske
12/18/2008, 08:01 PM
Hmm... don't think I can wait four months for an oil change... can someone remind me in April?? ;Db;

Thanks for the heads up D2D...

iamironman
12/18/2008, 09:55 PM
Simple to just download the form and wait to use it in april

:bwgy::bwgy::bwgy:

Riff Raff
12/18/2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm. I really like the synthetic motors oils, but they are just too damn expensive (coupon or no coupon). Given the choice of changing my oil less frequently with synthetic oil; or, changing my oil more often with regular oil-- I'll choose the latter. Frequent oil changes are the key to long engine life, so economically it's more cost effective to use regular motor oil. Fresh short-term regular oil is way better than dirty long-term synthetic oil.

Brian Drinks
12/19/2008, 08:06 AM
Hey me myself i use castrol high milege everytime with a 130,000 miles on it i dont know if it makes a different or not but thats what i use.

kpaske
12/19/2008, 09:46 AM
Simple to just download the form and wait to use it in april

:bwgy::bwgy::bwgy:

Yeah, sure - like I'll remember a $10 coupon in four months... BUT, I thought of a solution - I'll download the form and email it to my work account, then I'll attach it to a Microsoft Outlook reminder set for April 1st. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin 'bout!! ;Db;

Dare2Dream
12/21/2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that's way too long in the future to burden one's memory, but outlook or other calendars work well, or maybe someone can revive this thread at that time :cool:

Cobrajet
12/21/2008, 06:50 AM
I've printed out two copies of the rebate form and will post on my refrigerator. Reviving this post in April is a good idea, but won't help in April if the PDF is no longer available for download. Download and print it now, and put it in a place you will remember or you may be out of luck. You need to register on the site and provide vital information that is pre-printed on the form (including your registration number), so I imagine that this offer will not be available at that time.

Dare2Dream
04/03/2009, 11:18 PM
It's amazing how fast time flies, back then April seemed to be a lifetime away for me ...

I hope some of you can take advantage of this Mobil 1 deal.

etlsport
04/04/2009, 05:39 AM
was just thinking about bumping this thread.. although there was 5qts of castrol synthetic + K&N oil filter for 25 at advanced auto.. so i went with that

Gussie2000
04/04/2009, 06:29 AM
It's amazing how fast time flies, back then April seemed to be a lifetime away for me ...

Thanks for remainding us,my oil insn't due yet however i'll purchase a six pack bottle & storade 'till time is up

VCrossfan
04/04/2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the reminder, mines in the Frig somewhere...

pbkid
04/04/2009, 04:38 PM
was just thinking about bumping this thread.. although there was 5qts of castrol synthetic + K&N oil filter for 25 at advanced auto.. so i went with that

really? im gonna have to go down to advanced to look into that..

etlsport
04/04/2009, 08:54 PM
yep.. week before they had 5qts mobil 1 + mobil 1 filter for 30... i tried to get it 3 times but they were always out of the filter that fit the vx

but so far im really liking this castrol.. no real performance benefits.. maybe slightly higher gas mileage (like .5mpg) but i really feel like its improved the sound of my vx.. smoother sounding exhaust note somehow

Osteomata
04/04/2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah I did the Castrol Syntec + K&N filter on the wife's 98 Saab 900 Vert today, but not before I popped into WalMart to grab my 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for the $10 discount. I won't be changing oil for a few months, but I'll be ready for it now!

- Os

Gussie2000
04/05/2009, 09:46 AM
Greetings !

Good thread though.

I'll share this info to all of us but more alike for all the fellow VX'ers that suffers with the lil valve/lifters tapping as well as i do.

A technical data released by isuzu regarding the 3.2 & 3.5L engines with DOCH direct attack tapped recommends the use of 0w-30 synthetic oil instead of the OEM 10w-30 for isuzu made SUV's presenting this problem several times to get clogged valves & lifters working again within isuzu recommeded specs if no physical damage haven't be found after proper inspection of the engine by qualified technicians.

The recommedations comes after they find out that the 0w-30 synth oil helps the engine's valves train perform better.

This tapping seems to be more found on the left or the passenger side of the engine where you can gently hear the hamming-kind-of knocking.

Personally i had my engine tear apart last year to find what is causing the tapping,after three week of work the mechs were unable to find any physical damage,valves,lifters,rods,pulleys,cam shaft,crank shaft,etc was all professionally inspected & every thing were all within isuzu specs.

My engine works perfectly,no hesitation,no loss of power,no knocking sensor pop in up any thing & no engine light related to it.

There was a bit of procedures done before they came up with this conclusion about using this 0w-30 oil viscosity,they also claim that it did help reduce the tapping in 78 % of the treated engines;But again,this ONLY apply to isuzu engines that aren't suffering this tapping because of worn valves/outter specs lifters or any thing related

I've been trying to retreat the web address which i found at rock auto's web site links,but is so many of them cannot recall exactly which is the right one.

I'm well aware that this topic has been up on the table several times,however giving it a try wouldn't hurt at all.

SlowPro48
04/06/2009, 08:55 AM
...A technical data released by isuzu regarding the 3.2 & 3.5L engines with DOCH direct attack tapped recommends the use of 0w-30 synthetic oil instead of the OEM 10w-30 for isuzu made SUV's presenting this problem several times to get clogged valves & lifters working again...

Dude, I think all that 45mph vibrating you're subjecting yourself to has got you addled! ;)

Our engine can't have "clogged" or sticking lifters - because it doesn't have any lifters! (Thus the Direct Attack moniker) If your valves are tapping/ticking, you just need to have the valve lash adjusted. Are you SURE they checked your valve clearances? Did they pull the valve covers off? If not, you might want to get that checked again. In the good ol' days of rockers with screw adjusters we used to say "a noisy valve is a happy valve" since it's better to be a little loose that a little tight (cost you a smidgen of power but that's better than burned valves) With the VX, however, you wouldn't want to be *too* loose since we have SOB not SUB shims. The Shim is Over the Bucket, not Under it, which makes adjusting the valve clearance easier but the downside is there's the potential that at high revs the shim will get spit out if there's too much clearance. Then you have a disk of really, really hard metal bouncing around in the top end and that's not a good thing. I imagine it would look like a very expensive foosball game, where the ball is the shim and the cam lobes are the little kicker-men. There would have to be a lot of clearance for the shim to make it over the lip of the bucket though so performance would suffer long before you got to the point of destruction. Who knows - it might even be a self regulating thing - i.e., if there's enough valve lash that the shim would pop out at high revs, the engine won't rev that high. Engineers can be smart like that sometimes.

I hope you find that bulletin. I'd like to read it. I think the VX manual stated a valve check/adjustment interval of 60,000 miles but then Isuzu backed off that and said no need to delve under valve covers unless there is a noise or performance issue. Sweet! That means it can wait until timing belt change.

One thing though - you said it was a "hamming-kind-of knocking". Did you mean hammering? Because I hate to tell you if it's a lower pitched hammering/knocking sound, that's NOT valve train noise - and it most definitely won't be helped by that watered-down 0W oil!

Knigh7s
04/06/2009, 09:53 AM
For those of you that were slacking (like I did), here is the rebate form from the linked site (http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=15480967&postcount=46).

ScottinMA
04/06/2009, 06:09 PM
For those of you that were slacking (like I did), here is the rebate form from the linked site (http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=15480967&postcount=46).

THANK YOU!

Gussie2000
04/06/2009, 06:32 PM
Dude, I think all that 45mph vibrating you're subjecting yourself to has got you addled! ;)

Our engine can't have "clogged" or sticking lifters - because it doesn't have any lifters! (Thus the Direct Attack moniker) If your valves are tapping/ticking, you just need to have the valve lash adjusted. Are you SURE they checked your valve clearances? Did they pull the valve covers off? If not, you might want to get that checked again. In the good ol' days of rockers with screw adjusters we used to say "a noisy valve is a happy valve" since it's better to be a little loose that a little tight (cost you a smidgen of power but that's better than burned valves) With the VX, however, you wouldn't want to be *too* loose since we have SOB not SUB shims. The Shim is Over the Bucket, not Under it, which makes adjusting the valve clearance easier but the downside is there's the potential that at high revs the shim will get spit out if there's too much clearance. Then you have a disk of really, really hard metal bouncing around in the top end and that's not a good thing. I imagine it would look like a very expensive foosball game, where the ball is the shim and the cam lobes are the little kicker-men. There would have to be a lot of clearance for the shim to make it over the lip of the bucket though so performance would suffer long before you got to the point of destruction. Who knows - it might even be a self regulating thing - i.e., if there's enough valve lash that the shim would pop out at high revs, the engine won't rev that high. Engineers can be smart like that sometimes.

I hope you find that bulletin. I'd like to read it. I think the VX manual stated a valve check/adjustment interval of 60,000 miles but then Isuzu backed off that and said no need to delve under valve covers unless there is a noise or performance issue. Sweet! That means it can wait until timing belt change.

One thing though - you said it was a "hamming-kind-of knocking". Did you mean hammering? Because I hate to tell you if it's a lower pitched hammering/knocking sound, that's NOT valve train noise - and it most definitely won't be helped by that watered-down 0W oil!

Hi Knight7s Thanks for you replay,however it seems you didn't understand the whole thing didn't you ?

I don't know if the 3.2 & the 3,5L comes or not with lifters,actually i never meant to debate that,i appretiate your input & knowledge about engines neither if the lifters/valve train can be clogged or not,as i wrote it was a research done by some well aknowledge people,not me,talking about how the thick or heavier oil can cause knocking issues & what can be done to correct it,i just tried to put it in simple words.

That's why i'm trying to find where i read the articule,so every body,including you can also learn something about it & even applied if you work as a mechanic.

And the answer aboout if the shop did check to see if the valve clearance are within specs is yes,they did;They tear the WHOLE engine to see if the crankshaft had any broken,twisted or bend rods & all that stuff that move the engine,i went several times,every time they guys went deeper i was able to see with my own eyes.

I never had any issues with the engine,but just so curious about it,even though,another guy went saturday morning at the shop while i was changing the VX's differential fluids,the guy drives a 2001 3.2L rodeo with the SAME tapping on the same bank,the mechanic placed both trucks facing each other,runned the engines just for all of us to listen the tapping,it was like an orquestra playing a nice melody TAPI-TAPI-TAPI-TAPI-TAPI :cool:

The guy neither had any issues with his engine,but also intrigued about it.

My toy just hit 48K so if is about adjusting the valve clearance then i'm way far from having that done.

The mech say : Gustavo,i think you may have to live with it or get a new engine,which in many cases end up be worst then the old one,you truck run just perfect,no oil pressure loss,no hesitation,no knock engine light.

So what ? i've been married for 34 years with my wife & she never learn how to cook good :eek::eek: Am quite sure yo can handle this he quoted

SlowPro48
04/07/2009, 08:02 AM
Tapi, tapi, tapi but only 48K, eh? Well it wouldn't be the tappet-less valves then. Have you tried tightening the EGR thingy? People have reported that it sometimes works loose and makes noise.

And thanks for that rebate form, Knigh7! I'm going to use it to buy Mobil 1 for the first time ever. Not for use in the VX though - it seems to like Rotella just fine. I'm gonna mix it 50/50 with Rotella and try the resulting semi-synthetic blend in the street bike...

Gussie2000
04/07/2009, 08:39 AM
Hey slow regarding the valve lash adjustment aren't those valves self adjusted ?

PittVXr
05/22/2009, 03:43 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread. I picked up a 5 Qt. bottle of Mobil 1 5W-30 today at Wal-Mart for $22.00. Time to send off for the rebate.

Cobrajet
05/22/2009, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread. I picked up a 5 Qt. bottle of Mobil 1 5W-30 today at Wal-Mart for $22.00. Time to send off for the rebate.Definitely! I bought 4 jugs last week, and sent two rebates this morning. Maybe I'll get the rebates back before I retire...