PDA

View Full Version : Wheel locks..

etlsport
12/16/2008, 08:25 PM
well i finally managed to lose my wheel lock key.. knew it was a matter of time, luckily i found out because i was cleaning out my glove box and i know it used to be in there.. so this is just a friendly reminder... make sure you know where your wheel lock key is! not having it could make changing a tire very difficult.. and who wants that on a cold icy road?

also if you havent done it.. you should send in your registration card for your wheel locks to McGard.. will make ordering a new key much easier.. and if you dont have your registration card.. might be a good idea to take the stock wheel locks off.. and get a new set that you can register so that if you need to, you can always re-order

Just a friendly reminder.. dont want anyone stuck out there!

Riff Raff
12/18/2008, 11:28 PM
Some other good advice is to always loosen the wheel lock lug first when removing a wheel from the hub; and, tighten the wheel lock lug last when replacing a wheel on the hub. Otherwise, the removed "torgue pressure" from the other lug nuts will make it nearly impossible to remove the wheel lock lug, and may cause you to strip/mar the key pattern on the wheel lock lug and/or wheel lock key itself.

tom4bren
12/19/2008, 09:03 AM
You can put the key in your lug wrench (the one that came with the VX) & tape in place. You'll always be able to find it. Of course, so will the thief.

nfpgasmask
12/19/2008, 09:09 AM
Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart

circmand
12/19/2008, 09:14 AM
If mechanics would just put the damn things back I would not have that problem

etlsport
12/19/2008, 09:17 AM
Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart

$45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol

nfpgasmask
12/19/2008, 09:19 AM
$45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol

You know, I think that number is in my head cause I had to pay for next day air. I lifted and lost the key, and 3 days later was my appointment to get my new tires mounted and then the following week was Moab so I wasn't taking any chances!

I think the key was $14.99 but I paid like $30 for FEDEX next day air.

Bart

etlsport
12/19/2008, 09:30 AM
I think the key was $14.99 but I paid like $30 for FEDEX next day air.

Bart

oof.. i woulda told em to put it on a carrier pigeon.. lol

nfpgasmask
12/19/2008, 09:36 AM
oof.. i woulda told em to put it on a carrier pigeon.. lol

Yeah, well, they kinda had my nads in a vice, it was really bad timing for me to loose the lock, with Moab a week away! I had to do it.

Bart

etlsport
12/19/2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, well, they kinda had my nads in a vice, it was really bad timing for me to loose the lock, with Moab a week away! I had to do it.

Bart

yea i know what you mean, i woulda paid it in your situation probably.. still cheaper than paying someone to get the wheel locks off then buying a new set at the store

taylorRichie
12/19/2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe I'll just order a spare key now, and put it in the garage toolbox. Maybe hide them around the vehicle too... ;)

I keep mine in the Jackstowage. The stock lug wrench doesn't work with my wheels so I have a separate 1/2" Drive set that I keep in the VX..

LittleBeast
12/19/2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe I'll just order a spare key now, and put it in the garage toolbox. Maybe hide them around the vehicle too... ;)

I keep mine in the Jackstowage. The stock lug wrench doesn't work with my wheels so I have a separate 1/2" Drive set that I keep in the VX..

You know stating on a public forum for the world to see where you keep your wheel lock key on a very unique easy to spot vehicle with your location in your profile might not be the smartest thing in the world..... ;)

tom4bren
12/19/2008, 11:38 AM
"You know stating on a public forum for the world to see where you keep your wheel lock key on a very unique easy to spot vehicle with your location in your profile might not be the smartest thing in the world..... "

But if you have 'offset from hell' they will assume your rims won't fit anything else & won't bother with you.:)

BTW - I don't keep mine in the lug wrench anyway (I need a 12" extention just to get tom my lugnuts) - it was just an idea.

kodiak
12/19/2008, 12:32 PM
I’m surprised no one has come up with some kind of tether to attach the key to the lug wrench.:rolleyes:

VX KAT
01/01/2009, 11:17 AM
My VX has 1 lug on each wheel that has no chrome cap & is corroded. Thought it's obviously a locking lug because there's 1 on each wheel. Couldn't find the key, searched the car completely. Used car dealer absolutely no help..."try looking in the glove box, center console or by the jack"...DOH! Like we didn't think of that! Took it to Big O tires to find out how much to drill it off or whatever they have to do....they said it was NOT a lock, just missing it's chrome cap. What's the probability that precisely 1 on each wheel would loose it's cap? Or that 4 caps would be lost and previous owner put 1/wheel? A 19mm fit but because it was missing it's cap, an 18mm fit perfectly. He DIDN'T loosen it.

1) Big O guy said Isuzu lugs are "notoriously" bad for cross threading and then impossible to get off. Any truth to that?
He didn't sell lugs anyway so he had no real reason to say that to sell us some, so we decided to go get 24 new lug nuts before he proceeded removing those 4 lugs.

2) What brand do you guys recommend?

3) What brand of locking lug do you recommend most McGard...Gorilla?

Ldub
01/01/2009, 11:35 AM
My VX has 1 lug on each wheel that has no chrome cap & is corroded. Thought it's obviously a locking lug because there's 1 on each wheel. Couldn't find the key, searched the car completely. Used car dealer absolutely no help..."try looking in the glove box, center console or by the jack"...DOH! Like we didn't think of that! Took it to Big O tires to find out how much to drill it off or whatever they have to do....they said it was NOT a lock, just missing it's chrome cap. What's the probability that precisely 1 on each wheel would loose it's cap? Or that 4 caps would be lost and previous owner put 1/wheel? A 19mm fit but because it was missing it's cap, an 18mm fit perfectly. He DIDN'T loosen it.

1) Big O guy said Isuzu lugs are "notoriously" bad for cross threading and then impossible to get off. Any truth to that?
He didn't sell lugs anyway so he had no real reason to say that to sell us some, so we decided to go get 24 new lug nuts before he proceeded removing those 4 lugs.

2) What brand do you guys recommend?

3) What brand of locking lug do you recommend most McGard...Gorilla?

My guess would be that the PO lost the key & the original locks were replaced with whatever they could find that would fit.
My experience with Isuzu studs, is that the earlier (1st gen Trooper) ones were more prone to stripping than the ones on the VX.
I only ever use a socket & ratchet (no air tools) to change mine, no problems so far & I've probably had my wheels on & off at least twenty times in the last 4 1/2 years.
I know it's overkill, but I have three McGards in each wheel...:rolleyesg

My theory is that maybe it'll slow the thievin' bastiges down enough for me to catch them doing it...:naughty:

deermagnet
01/01/2009, 12:29 PM
What brand do you guys recommend?

KAT, the part # for the nut is 8-97229-212-0. Get four new ones and they'll be a perfect match for $30-35 total. Does Tim's in Prescott or Power in Scottsdale still carry Isuzu parts? Check 'em out. They may have 'em in stock. If not, it's the same exact nut as a Honda Passport. Give the Honda parts guy that number and his system will instantly convert it to the Honda number and see if it's in stock.

It's also the same nut on an Axiom, Rodeo, Trooper, and Amigo. If you stop by a junk yard they should have dozens of 'em.

Mark

VX KAT
01/01/2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, Tim's is the authorized Isuzu service place..1 of only 2 in AZ, we got REAL lucky with it being like 20 miles from us, and actually was a partial factor in me getting the VX...we can't fix things, (well, except for windows and lug nuts) so having the authorized place close sealed the deal for me I had my transported here from Virginia. I grew up in PGH, PA and was so afraid of rust, but the Tim's mechanic said I was in great shape as far as rust!

Thanks for the part number, that will help. Ldub said the cross threading wasn't so much of a problem in the VX, so maybe I'll just replace the 4. When we see how hard or easy it is to get ALL of them off, I'll decide if I'm going to replace all or just the 4. NAPA wanted $98 for 24!!! I found Gorilla Acorn budge nuts-24 at sfxperformance.com for $24.90....seems too reasonable since most are around $3+ each. :confused:

etlsport
01/01/2009, 04:09 PM
ive always used mcgard wheel locks, never had any issues with them.. i have been thinking of changing to spiked lugs for a cool look, and they require deep sockets to remove, so a little tougher for theives

Ldub
01/01/2009, 04:45 PM
Just a FYI...I tried a set of locking lugs from Autozone a few years back, & within two days they were showing signs of rust...:sighwgray

Returned em' & bought McGards...they cost more, but they're worth it.

Cobrajet
01/01/2009, 05:22 PM
I lost the cap off of one of my lugs last February. I think water got in through a crack and then froze behind the cap pushing it off. I bit the bullet and ordered five sets of McGard lugs (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=mcg-64012) from Summit. The others has slight rust on the edges and I didn't want one lug to stand out. Now I've got 19 spares...

snowtrooper1966
01/01/2009, 06:04 PM
When I had the new Nittos put on the Dragon during my trip to San Diego Thanksgiving, I had locked the glove box since I had my checkbook and cash in there forgetting:

A) the wheelock key was in there
B) they were gonna need it
&
C) they had the freaking key to the glovebox anyway!

They never even called to remind me how stupid I was, which I appreciate tremendously. They figured it out on thier own and my dough was unmolested....
What can I say? The eighties were really good to me;)
Best,

Kelle
09/29/2011, 08:42 AM
I saw post saying I could get one from McGuard but don't know what to order. I am getting new tires put on in two weeks. Help!

nfpgasmask
09/29/2011, 08:49 AM
You mean you have wheel stud locks but you do not have the key? Yes, you can order one from McGuard, but you need the number that came with the key, should be in a little black plastic sleave. If you've lost both, I'm not sure you can get a replacement. You might have to have a tire shop chisel them off.

Bart

MSHardeman
09/29/2011, 10:24 AM
I lost my wheel key too a while back, and like Bart said, you will need to go to a tire shop to have them removed. They must have some kind of socket with some teeth on it that just grabs the wheel lock. It took them about two minutes to remove my wheel locks, and they didn't charge me anything. The bit that they use did put some big divots in my wheel locks, but since I didn't have the key I was going to replace them anyway.

I got a whole set of lug nuts and wheel locks from McGard:
http://www.mcgard.com/Applications/AutomotiveSearch/default.aspx?QToK=1JXwwiJ7iq0ZQx59oK1ZwQ%3d%3d
The VX uses a cone seat style lug nut and wheel lock. I ordered the "cone seat lock" part number 24196 and they worked perfectly.

Riff Raff
09/30/2011, 04:51 AM
ive always used mcgard wheel locks, never had any issues with them.. i have been thinking of changing to spiked lugs for a cool look, and they require deep sockets to remove, so a little tougher for theives

Sorry to burst your bubble, Eric; but professional wheel thieves nowaday's use freon spray or a fire extinguisher to freeze the locked wheel stud ice cold and then hit the specific wheel lock with a hammer, thereby breaking the entire stud off along with the locking lug. Wheel locks today just keep honest people honest (and help you sleep a little better at night, but only a little).

In regards to the factory OEM wheel lock "key" for our VX's--- one "key" fits ALL other factory VX's with the OEM locking lug. Fellow member "MARLIN" discovered this fact while combing over wrecked VX's in various junk yards and used his OEM wheel lock "key" to take off other VX factory OEM wheels from other VX's. Thus; if you order a "key" from Merlin of Isuzu, then the "key" you receive will fit your lugs (one "key" fits all VX's with factory OEM rims).

:bgwb:

nfpgasmask
09/30/2011, 07:55 AM
In regards to the factory OEM wheel lock "key" for our VX's--- one "key" fits ALL other factory VX's with the OEM locking lug.

I'm not so sure about that. When I lost my wheel lock, CrnCnn brought his over from his VX and it did not fit. I think Marlin got lucky. They probably use like 20 different ones and he just happened to have the same one as someone else....if all the wheel locks were the same, what would be the point?

Bart

Ldub
09/30/2011, 09:19 AM
I'm not so sure about that. When I lost my wheel lock, CrnCnn brought his over from his VX and it did not fit. I think Marlin got lucky. They probably use like 20 different ones and he just happened to have the same one as someone else....if all the wheel locks were the same, what would be the point?

Bart

Yep...pure happenstance...:yesgray:

I have three sets on mine as a "might slow them down just long enough" measure, & two of them are keyed alike. There are only so many patterns out there, no matter what McGards website says about infinite patterns, it's not economically feasible to tool up for such a large array of product.

Etfren
09/30/2011, 01:20 PM
Yup, I had 3 sets and all the keys only worked with one set of lugs. Marlin just got lucky with his set.

So Larry, you have 3 locking lugs and 3 normal per wheel? That should slow 'em down a bit for sure.

Riff Raff
09/30/2011, 06:19 PM
Whoopsy; sorry gang about the mis-information about the wheel lock key fitting all VX's, as it's apparent that I was in error. It looks like I assumed based upon MARLIN's happenstance experience and we all know what "assume" means. My bad; thanx for setting the record straight.

:flower:

etlsport
09/30/2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, Eric; but professional wheel thieves nowaday's use freon spray or a fire extinguisher to freeze the locked wheel stud ice cold and then hit the specific wheel lock with a hammer, thereby breaking the entire stud off along with the locking lug. Wheel locks today just keep honest people honest (and help you sleep a little better at night, but only a little).

What?? ive never heard of a single instance of this. it doesnt even make sense. you would ruin the wheels/finish. even a CO2 fire extinguisher wouldnt have enough juice to make 4 wheel locks that cold. and freon spray? it would be harder to find it and buy it than to just go buy the wheels yourself.

there are much easier way to steal wheels. I have a set of wheel lock removers that i use in the shop that can have a set of 4 wheel locks off in 5 min flat

VX KAT
09/30/2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I recall Marlin just lucked out on his set being all the same.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20998&highlight=locking+lug

PittVXr, I'm with you, mine never came with any.....:waag:....I still need to buy the McGard ones.

Kelle
10/14/2011, 08:06 AM
I got lucky! I AGAIN went through the box of things I had taken out of my VX when it went in to get a new motor and found mine! WHEW! I am going to guard that thing with my life! LOL

atilla_the_fun
10/14/2011, 08:14 AM
What?? ive never heard of a single instance of this. it doesnt even make sense. you would ruin the wheels/finish. even a CO2 fire extinguisher wouldnt have enough juice to make 4 wheel locks that cold. and freon spray? it would be harder to find it and buy it than to just go buy the wheels yourself.

there are much easier way to steal wheels. I have a set of wheel lock removers that i use in the shop that can have a set of 4 wheel locks off in 5 min flat

I tested some locks (like master locks) using liquid nitrogen, which gets much much colder than anything you can buy commercially and found that even when completely submerged for minutes, the steel in those locks was still strong enough to survive countless whacks with a giant hammer.

Everything you see, like in the fourth fast and furious, or people breaking locks with cold sprays - its really just for the movies. I can't even imagine how much "freon" it would take to even dent the steel used in our wheel lugs and bolts.