PDA

View Full Version : I'm Buying An Ironman!!!!!

killinformula
12/16/2008, 05:32 PM
So i went to the dealer and fell in love with it and told him i would take it, now just going through the loan crap to finalize the deal... its:
1999 white
$6,600 out the door
Car only has 4 things i need to fix:
1) driver side door when shut is a tad off on top... can i reposition it?
2) the iron man plastic on the hood needs to be retaped so it stays down
3) there is an air sound inside the car from the air fan or vent or something... what could that be it is on the drivers side... should i be worried about it?
4) the back door has a 2 in ch cut in the paint looks like a knife was taken to it (its not what happened but thats what it looks like) and a tad bit of rust is visible about 1 cm by .5 cm

other than that she doesnt lek, engine is real nice... and the interior is PERFECT!

please let me know how to fix those first 3 problems

Gussie2000
12/16/2008, 06:03 PM
So i went to the dealer and fell in love with it and told him i would take it, now just going through the loan crap to finalize the deal... its:
1999 white
$6,600 out the door
3) there is an air sound inside the car from the air fan or vent or something... what could that be it is on the drivers side... should i be worried about it?
4) the back door has a 2 in ch cut in the paint looks like a knife was taken to it (its not what happened but thats what it looks like) and a tad bit of rust is visible about 1 cm by .5 cm

other than that she doesnt lek, engine is real nice... and the interior is PERFECT!

1) The door can be absolutetly fixed,just check the web for local body shops.

2) The IRONMAN logo can be remove & add a new one,call & ask for merlin at saint charles isuzu & let him know you're a new VX'er & belongs to the board;He'll provide you with a good deal,shipping free included ;)

3) The sound you refering to can be a clogged vent conduit or something partially blocking the free air flow,my 2nd thought an conduit that is partially closed/open & is not engaging a 100% when you change the flow set ups just make sure they find the cause of the sound.

Since you'll need to have full insurance 'till the loan is paid off you can have the insurance pay for new paint,comprehensives claims doesn't raise you premiums. I did it,i bought my VX in november last year,three weeks later some jerk scratched the left fender with some kind of key so to say.
The insurance pay off a full painted VX in silver original color :p

But if you have a extra cash you can have just the rear door painted.It shouldn't cost big $$ because 68 % of the rear door is covered with the poly cladding.My paint job for the whole car was $ 1500 ($ 200 cash back by the body shop) so make the maths.

Even though the dealers says that they "always" service their cars you better play safe & have your VX serviced as soon as possible or at least check up trans fluid level & conditions as well as differencials,T-case & engine.
Another advise is to keep a close eye on the engine's oil level;Depending on how many miles you'll conmmute you should check the level twice a week & have a extra bottle in the trunk.

I hope every thing goes smoothly & from now let me welcome you to the VX universe :)

killinformula
12/16/2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you very much for all the information... i am stoked! I am going to get all her fluids checked asap, and then i am going to start diagnosing that air sound.... i felt like i was in a concept car when i sat in it! it was such a cool feeling and this is my first car to buy as well, i have been dving around my formula that my parents bought me 8 years ago when i turned 16

Gussie2000
12/16/2008, 06:47 PM
Thank you very much for all the information... i am stoked! I am going to get all her fluids checked asap, and then i am going to start diagnosing that air sound.... i felt like i was in a concept car when i sat in it! it was such a cool feeling and this is my first car to buy as well, i have been dving around my formula that my parents bought me 8 years ago when i turned 16

Love to know that there's another new VX'er with us.

The board provides you with almost all the info you need,.

Take your time & read any topics that you think is important,don't feel shy to ask all questions need to be answered.

You were like in a concept car,actually you was,The VX was a halo concept in 1993 at the tokio car show,originally isuzu didn't had intentions to mass produce this car,but the excitement was so hugh that isuzu decide to manufactured bit more than 4000 world wide.
Just a lil bit of info
Best regards K-machine :)

VCrossfan
12/16/2008, 06:49 PM
1999 white
$6,600 out the door

Congrats...Your "air sound" could be your drivers door being a tad off

pbkid
12/16/2008, 07:19 PM
congrats and welcome to the fam...

now, put in for time off in may for playing in moab with the rest of us :eek:

it will really amaze you what these things can do...

killinformula
12/16/2008, 07:22 PM
you know when i was looking for a car i told myself i wanted one that i wouldnt modify.... well i think i shot myself in the foot... these things just look so sweet with better rims/tires, and a ton of metal around it!

don moore
12/16/2008, 07:27 PM
I was thinking the same as VCROSSFAN on the air sound...:p

wecome to the crazy world of VXs

pbkid
12/16/2008, 07:27 PM
lol...just wait till you get a round or two in moab...

last year one of the members got so excited that we lifted his VX in the parking lot of the hotel...

killinformula
12/16/2008, 07:33 PM
soo what exactly is an iron man does it have anything else that a regular vx doesnt?

Gussie2000
12/16/2008, 07:34 PM
lol...just wait till you get a round or two in moab...

last year one of the members got so excited that we lifted his VX in the parking lot of the hotel...

Jajajajaja that had to be totally crazy.
But as i said,it's part of the fun to own a VX :)

Gussie2000
12/16/2008, 07:37 PM
soo what exactly is an iron man does it have anything else that a regular vx doesnt?

The ironman edition doesn't differ from the rest of the others VX's.

But the reason there's an ironman VX edition is because isuzu sponsored the famous triathlon back in the 90's that was named so.

The logos on the hood insert,the recaro seats,the rear fenders & floor matts makes all the difference,but this edition was the most expensive of all VX's

don moore
12/16/2008, 07:39 PM
The IRON MAN version goes faster and is stronger and goes farther then the rest.........hehe:p

Gussie2000
12/16/2008, 07:44 PM
The IRON MAN version goes faster and is stronger and goes farther then the rest.........hehe:p

By the way k-machine,if you want type isuzu vehicross on youtube.com browswer & look at the add that last about 29 seconds when the VX were introduce in 1999.
I guess that's why mr don says that

killinformula
12/16/2008, 08:44 PM
By the way k-machine,if you want type isuzu vehicross on youtube.com browswer & look at the add that last about 29 seconds when the VX were introduce in 1999.
I guess that's why mr don says that

holy crap i just watched about every video! i am addicted.... DARN YOU ALL!!! i have to say i have been searching for about 3 months for a car... this is how my process went to finding my Iron man

volvo c70, jetta 1.8t, passat 1.8t, passat v6, jetta v6, hyundai sonata, hyundai xg350, hyundai santa fe, kia sorento, suzuki grand vitara, suzuki xl-7, mitsubishi montero, toyota 4 runner, jeep grand cherokee, jeep liberty, isuzu rodeo, isuzu trooper..... VX!!!!!!

and i kid you not i almost purchase one of each car while looking!!!i passed on 17 cars... i have reaped the benifits of patience.... and am so glad i found this car...

the fisrt time i have ever heard of one was last sunday and i bought one thursday! how crazy is that!

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/16/2008, 09:41 PM

I was thinking the same as VCROSSFAN on the air sound...:p

That's exactly what I was thinking!;)

killinformula
12/16/2008, 09:51 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking!;)

it does it while idling too... so it wasnt the wind.... what else sucks air or makes that sound?

Ldub
12/16/2008, 10:11 PM
it does it while idling too... so it wasnt the wind.... what else sucks air or makes that sound?

Cooling (think radiator) fan clutch?...:smilewink
Pop your hood & listen...:_wrench:

iamironman
12/16/2008, 11:24 PM
The ironman edition doesn't differ from the rest of the others VX's.

But the reason there's an ironman VX edition is because isuzu sponsored the famous triathlon back in the 90's that was named so.

The logos on the hood insert,the recaro seats,the rear fenders & floor matts makes all the difference,but this edition was the most expensive of all VX's

Nuh UH!!! It was named after ME!!!! IAMIRONMAN!!! DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN DANANANANA NA-NA-NAAAAA....

VehiGAZ
12/17/2008, 08:28 AM
DARN YOU ALL!!!

Shut up. You did it to yourself - just like we all did!!! :)

Welcome to the board!

WormGod
12/17/2008, 08:28 AM
With 108k on the clock already, baby her, for now. She is so very used to the previous owner that any sudden change in driving style can hurt it FAST. It's not an old wive's tale. It's like a new girlfriend that you met at church.... you need to slooooowly move around the bases before you run for home. Don't treat her like you met her at a loose bar or you may end up with a case of the "WHY ME?!" in the morning. ;)

Be gentle....

iamironman
12/17/2008, 09:16 AM
With 108k on the clock already, baby her, for now. She is so very used to the previous owner that any sudden change in driving style can hurt it FAST. It's not an old wive's tale. It's like a new girlfriend that you met at church.... you need to slooooowly move around the bases before you run for home. Don't treat her like you met her at a loose bar or you may end up with a case of the "WHY ME?!" in the morning. ;)

Be gentle....

LOL...... 2 funny (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=15zh6qq&s=5)

:)

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:31 AM
my loan went trhough so i am picking the car up today most likely.... then i will check whats going on with the sound....

a quick question when i opened the door the dome light didnt come on... and i tried to find a switch to see if it had a "on when door open" kinda thing and couldnt find one... any info on this? or do i just have a dead light?

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:33 AM

Be gentle....

yeah i am going to check her fluids and watch her every move for now... she will most likely not be offroading other than dirt roads for camping or hunting... she will be babied for quite some time

johnnyapollo
12/17/2008, 10:02 AM
Mash on the light with your hand - if it comes on then the door activation switch may be bad - check the other door and see if it comes on there. If the doors and mashing doesn't make it come on it's prolly the bulb.

-- John

tom4bren
12/17/2008, 10:09 AM
Or sump'n else. Mine hasn't worked in months & I've never figgered out what the problem is (it's not the bulb & no bad fuses).

kodiak
12/17/2008, 11:22 AM
I'm just guessing, but perhaps that VX has an aftermarket air filter - rumor has it they make a louder sucking sound when there is more air moving through.

I second that! :_iamwiths I have a K&N that makes a pretty harsh sucking sound, but with my custom exhaust it just sounds right.:cool:

killinformula
12/17/2008, 02:06 PM
Since you'll need to have full insurance 'till the loan is paid off you can have the insurance pay for new paint,comprehensives claims doesn't raise you premiums. I did it,i bought my VX in november last year,three weeks later some jerk scratched the left fender with some kind of key so to say.
The insurance pay off a full painted VX in silver original color :p

Can i have them fix my door, the air problem, the paint and the cladding on the hood?
How will it not raise my premium?

Gussie2000
12/17/2008, 04:56 PM
Can i have them fix my door, the air problem, the paint and the cladding on the hood?
How will it not raise my premium?

In order to have a comprehensive claim done & processed by the insurance company there's have to be a physical damage such as scratched paint finish,body damage or a broken cladding not related to accidents

Those kind of claims doesn't raise your premiums.

If you hood cladding is broken you can process a claim for that.Some times a police report needs to being filled depending on the extend of the damage.I guess you would not need to filled a report with the police.The ironman hood logo is covered if the hood insert it self is damaged,the door have to shows signs of being forced open or vandalized in order to consider that a comprehensive damage.

It works like a health insurance,where you pay a premium for medical expenses & services related to you as a covered individual.

I believe the driver's door hinges should be inspected at a body shop & they'll be able to find a solution for the door.

About the rear door paint scratch also check with a body shop to find out how much can be the cost to restore the finish.If the cost is somehow high for you the body shop can work in your favor to have a paint job done & paid by the insurance company.

A VX paint job isn't so expensive as a regular car because half of the car is poly cladding covers.

Comprehensive is a coverage that is offered to pay damages ocurred to your car when the causes of that damage was related to vandalims such as broken in window,natural disasters such as flooding,paint and/or body damage such as hitting a light pole,etc.

killinformula
12/17/2008, 06:30 PM
thank you! i will think about it, i will mention it to them after running around and seeing how much it will cost.

for some reason the abs light is on in the car... just took her home, so i am going to have to look into that.

The air sound is the air filter!! holy crap its loud, i may buy some sound deadning mat and place it around it. the door i can hear at 70 mph and will need to be repositioned, the dome light wont come on, and i am going to get my fluids checked and changed this weekend.

How do i work the cd player, it doesnt take cds, it lights up and all and i hear the motor working to select a cd, but is there a special way to insert the disk or do i just shove it in, because thats not working haha

Gussie2000
12/17/2008, 07:08 PM
thank you! i will think about it, i will mention it to them after running around and seeing how much it will cost.

for some reason the abs light is on in the car... just took her home, so i am going to have to look into that.

1) One of the ABS sensor are off,so call your dealer & let them have that sensor replace at onces.

The air sound is the air filter!! holy crap its loud, i may buy some sound deadning mat and place it around it. the door i can hear at 70 mph and will need to be repositioned, the dome light wont come on, and i am going to get my fluids checked and changed this weekend.

2) Tomorrow check the air filter housing to see if the cover are air tight closed along the whole intake, the filter cover comes with 4 clamps to keep it in place,also check the intake black plastic pipe,also the filter it self to make sure is not damage.That sound could be a air leak,if you cannot find the source of the problem have the dealer's repair shop solve the issue.

How do i work the cd player, it doesnt take cds, it lights up and all and i hear the motor working to select a cd, but is there a special way to insert the disk or do i just shove it in, because thats not working haha

3) This CD changer is proune to fail,how ever in order to know if it works you must select the CD feature at the tape's deck,then all lites should turn on,after that press the the eject button at the CD changer console to make sure that there's no other CD's inside,after that press the number (1) button,that specific button will blink about 3 or 4 times,when that same lite turn amber it means you can go ahead & carefully place the cd,,don't force it in,the CD changer would actually "grabb" the Cd & slide it in to play.

Another detail i fail to aknowledge you is that if you what to play a Cd in the slot # 4 you just press that specific button,the CD will process your command & play the CD,also if you wnat to remove that CD you press the button the CD is placed on & then press the reject the button onces you had the CD out you can go ahead & put another CD in that same slot.whenever a slot is empty i think the lite will remain amber color to notify you that the slot's empty

Along with the owners manual at the globe box there should be a 4 pages manual to show you how the CD changer works,if is not there then let me know,i'll look into mines this weekend & write you back,but first take care of that air leak,the ABS sensor & the door.

If the CD changer don't work few of the fellow VX'ers have their own removed & stored with no use so you can make a deal for one.

4) the dome light can be easy as a blown bulb to a broken wire in the line,to know if the wires are bad you should take the VX to an audio shop & have them test the wiring for shorts with a multimeter tester,also check the fuse box at the very left side of the dash board,if you haven't noticed there's a fuse box cover,there's the fuse related to the doom light,another possible cause of the non dome light is the switch it self that may be have loose contact properties.

kodiak
12/17/2008, 07:46 PM
the door i can hear at 70 mph and will need to be repositioned.

WHAT!!!!!! Does it have a roof rack? If so then problem solved, that’s a common issue.

killinformula
12/17/2008, 07:51 PM
3) This CD changer is proune to fail,how ever in order to know if it works you must select the CD feature at the tape's deck,then all lites should turn on,after that press the the eject button at the CD changer console to make sure that there's no other CD's inside,after that press the number (1) button,that specific button will blink about 3 or 4 times,when that same lite turn amber it means you can go ahead & carefully place the cd,,don't force it in,the CD changer would actually "grabb" the Cd & slide it in to play.

Another detail i fail to aknowledge you is that if you what to play a Cd in the slot # 4 you just press that specific button,the CD will process your command & play the CD,also if you wnat to remove that CD you press the button the CD is placed on & then press the reject the button onces you had the CD out you can go ahead & put another CD in that same slot.whenever a slot is empty i think the lite will remain amber color to notify you that the slot's empty

Along with the owners manual at the globe box there should be a 4 pages manual to show you how the CD changer works,if is not there then let me know,i'll look into mines this weekend & write you back,but first take care of that air leak,the ABS sensor & the door.

i think i am just going to repalce the whole audio system. i actually found wires throught the car for a sub and what not... they are preran, so i will try to see what they can hook up to.

i do not have an owners manual but if you wouldnt mind letting me know some more info or sending a copy of some pages to me i would greatly appreciae it.

as you said my first priority is the ABS, the door, and silencing the airfilter.

killinformula
12/17/2008, 07:53 PM
WHAT!!!!!! Does it have a roof rack? If so then problem solved, that’s a common issue.

the door is not shutting all the way and i can hear and feel the air coming in.... yes it has a roof rack and its quiet...

also the windows i noticed do not like to stay in the track... is that what the common window issue is? if so i dont mind buying the window brackets i saw earlier today as long as i have the use of my windows.

Gussie2000
12/17/2008, 07:55 PM
i think i am just going to repalce the whole audio system. i actually found wires throught the car for a sub and what not... they are preran, so i will try to see what they can hook up to.

i do not have an owners manual but if you wouldnt mind letting me know some more info or sending a copy of some pages to me i would greatly appreciae it.

as you said my first priority is the ABS, the door, and silencing the airfilter.

Also check the ebay.com web site,i sure there's owner's manual for sale,it doesn't matter if is 1999,2000 or 2001,all comes with the same info

I believe moncha (administrator) have the manual for download right here on the board

Gussie2000
12/17/2008, 08:02 PM
the door is not shutting all the way and i can hear and feel the air coming in.... yes it has a roof rack and its quiet...

also the windows i noticed do not like to stay in the track... is that what the common window issue is? if so i dont mind buying the window brackets i saw earlier today as long as i have the use of my windows.

Yes,the windows is the most comom issue the VX's came along with beside the oil burning.

There's fixes for the windows,the most common is widening the tracks the windows rolls up & down,i did it & it works perfectly,I also removed some of the black rubber on both sides of the tracks.

In order to do that you must remove the door panels & you can see them right front of you

kodiak
12/17/2008, 08:12 PM

Well, ok then.:rolleyes: Mine’s not, my roof rack sounds like a samurai sword being swooshed thru the air right at 70mph. It lets me know I’m speeding.:p

killinformula
12/17/2008, 08:51 PM
Well, ok then.:rolleyes: Mine’s not, my roof rack sounds like a samurai sword being swooshed thru the air right at 70mph. It lets me know I’m speeding.:p

hahah good analogy... yea i can see how they could be very loud...

tomdietrying
12/17/2008, 09:11 PM
Killinformula,
Sounds like you got a great deal. All you need now are to get some 18" chrome wheels with some 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and you'll be set.
BTW - I think I know a guy who can hook you up.
Peace.
Tom
p.s. It's always great to see another Texan with a VX. Last, I think the guys on the board would agree you got the coolest color for a VX.

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:16 PM
Killinformula,
Sounds like you got a great deal. All you need now are to get some 18" chrome wheels with some 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and you'll be set.
BTW - I think I know a guy who can hook you up.
Peace.
Tom
p.s. It's always great to see another Texan with a VX. Last, I think the guys on the board would agree you got the coolest color for a VX.

Hey whats going on man! i see you are in dallas, my brother lives right off of live oak and ross area in downtown... maybe one day i will see you on the street.... send me a pm about the tires and wheels, you have sparked my interest!

pbkid
12/17/2008, 09:27 PM
BTW...if you dont need the roof rack you can make $350-400 for that baby...

its a very precious commodity...

Gussie2000
12/17/2008, 09:29 PM
Hey whats going on man! i see you are in dallas, my brother lives right off of live oak and ross area in downtown... maybe one day i will see you on the street.... send me a pm about the tires and wheels, you have sparked my interest!

Oh that's good news. :)
K-machine,you got one of veteran Vx'ers right there with you,i guess things would be getting better for you soon :)

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:43 PM
Oh that's good news. :)
K-machine,you got one of veteran Vx'ers right there with you,i guess things would be getting better for you soon :)

sad thing is i am moving in 3 weeks back to my college town... my internship is ending, but i will be back in fort worth in the summer again for the job... i wish i could find someone in college station texas but i have never seen a vx there

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:50 PM
BTW...if you dont need the roof rack you can make $350-400 for that baby...

its a very precious commodity...

thanks for the info! i think for now i will keep it... never know when it will be needed! do some vx's not come with a rack or something?

pbkid
12/17/2008, 10:06 PM
ya it was an option and its highly saught after...

seems like everyone likes to add to the roof and this is what is needed....there are limited amounts of them out there so everyone likes to have one...