PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for

mugen42
12/16/2008, 06:37 AM
This is kind of a follow up to the "Should I buy a VX with 101K?" thread, which I found very helpful.

I am looking for a VX to handle my daily commute (under 20mi per day) and occasional over the road, off the road trips. No real heavy use, but I need it to be reliable.

My questions are when looking at a VX in the 70K to 110K mile range, what should I look for? Should I be concerned about all the talk about blown engines (and what was the cause)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

etlsport
12/16/2008, 06:57 AM
This is kind of a follow up to the "Should I buy a VX with 101K?" thread, which I found very helpful.

I am looking for a VX to handle my daily commute (under 20mi per day) and occasional over the road, off the road trips. No real heavy use, but I need it to be reliable.

My questions are when looking at a VX in the 70K to 110K mile range, what should I look for? Should I be concerned about all the talk about blown engines (and what was the cause)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

the cause was lack of oil.. there is debate as to what causes the engine to burn oil.. but the fact is that like 7/10 vx engines burn oil to some degree.. keep an eye on it.. i check mine every gas fillup, and have been running strong from 39k to 75k where im at now.. and i dont exactly baby my VX.. in fact tom has threatened to kick me out of the "club" multiple times after hearing what ive done to my vx ;Db;

just use the search function.. there have been at least a dozen threads on what to look for in the last 6 months

mugen42
12/16/2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks! I'll spend more time looking it up today (waiting for the snow to stop). Sounds like the original engine or a replacement is nothing to fear, as long as you know.

Thanks again-
Chris

tom4bren
12/16/2008, 10:49 AM
"tom has threatened to kick me out of the "club" multiple times after hearing what ive done to my vx"

And you started taking me seriously ... WHEN???

Just stop parking in tadpole ponds.

LittleBeast
12/16/2008, 01:53 PM
"tom has threatened to kick me out of the "club" multiple times after hearing what ive done to my vx"

And you started taking me seriously ... WHEN???

Just stop parking in tadpole ponds.

Tom please learn how to click on the "quote" button next to the person you want to reply to, geez, I know you are an old fart and all, but clicking "quote" instead of cutting and pasting what the person said sounds a lot easier to me. But then again you are an "out there" kinda guy, with your wheels and tires looking like they were stuck on by a 5 year old trying to make a rollerskate! ;) LOL, just kidding of course for anyone that doesn't know the many jabs back and forth between the offset king and myself.