PDA

View Full Version : Spider Spikes

JAFO
12/15/2008, 03:21 PM
I went by Les Schwab today to get chains today. They said that they didn't have chains that would fit my 255/55 R18 tires but that they had Spikes Spider.

I have see people driving around with the hubs on the front of there cars before but don't have any experience with them or chains for that matter.

Does anyone have any experience with Spikes Spiders?

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/images/styles/quickThumb.jpg
http://www.spikes-spiders.com/images/styles/091_new1.jpg

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

mdwyer
12/16/2008, 08:42 AM
Haven't seen those before. I've been keeping an eye out for info on AutoSocks (http://www.autosock.co.uk/) though.

At the very least, I've lived in Colorado all my life and I've never used chains. On the other hand, I have had to use the shovel and tow-strap from time to time...

Techy-D
12/16/2008, 09:56 AM
Totally new to me also. I've never needed to use chains, but Had to carry some for years (driving through the passes). I don't think they were even the right size, but had some. :)
I wonder if these would meet the requirements for the passes? or if they have any real advantages over chains? I'm thinking I should get a set of something for my VX (More travel through the mountains coming up).

JAFO
12/16/2008, 10:11 AM
The advantage is that they are faster and easier to apply than chains. They say that you can install a pair of Spikes Spiders in less than one minute. Also you do not have to lay down on the ground to access the back of the tire like chains. And they don't get tangled up.

The disadvantage is price. Les Schwab wanted $300 a pair for my 255/55 R18 tires. At the time I didn't know they made more than one model so I didn't ask which model they where quoting me a price for.

Below is a link to the installation videos. It looks really easy to use.
http://www.spikes-spiders.com/videos/

don moore
12/16/2008, 10:24 AM
they are as big as a spare tire...in the bag
i saw them also at the tire store..look kool.but cost to much for the little use

crager34
12/16/2008, 10:29 AM
Chains?? Where we are going, we don't need...... ok, hold on.... that doesn't sound right.

Anywho....chains on a VX? Must be some serious snow up there or your trying to drive to the top of Mt. Hood. :p

JAFO
12/16/2008, 10:54 AM
Haven't seen those before. I've been keeping an eye out for info on AutoSocks (http://www.autosock.co.uk/) though.

At the very least, I've lived in Colorado all my life and I've never used chains. On the other hand, I have had to use the shovel and tow-strap from time to time...

Those Autosocks look really nice. They are more affordable approximately $50 a pair and fit in a little bag that you can put under the seat. I am going to look into these more.

Chains?? Where we are going, we don't need...... ok, hold on.... that doesn't sound right.

Anywho....chains on a VX? Must be some serious snow up there or your trying to drive to the top of Mt. Hood. :p

I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and this is my second day driving in snow. So I am probably being over cautious.

But in Portland they kept saying on the news that chains are required and it is suppost to snow twice more with several days in between each snow storm. I thought that this might make it icy.

They keep showing that Portland youtube video recorded a couple years back on the news and I don't want my VX to be a pinball :)

don moore
12/16/2008, 10:59 AM
thats why we have a car with rubber all around ...like a bumper car....lol j/k

Techy-D
12/16/2008, 11:47 AM
The advantage is ...

The disadvantage is price. Les Schwab wanted $300 a pair for my 255/55 R18 tires. At the time I didn't know they made more than one model so I didn't ask which model they where quoting me a price for.

Looks like I should keep an eye open for chains (Yeah, I'm cheap), and I don't really anticipate needing to put them on. It's just a requirement, sometimes in the passes, that you have them with you. Around here, it's more of a "keep it very slow and plan ahead" type thing. With the exception of the other guy hitting you, you should be good (Unless there is one of those rare times they require chains on I-5, like last weekend). But, that's just my opinion.

Triathlete
12/16/2008, 12:03 PM
I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and this is my second day driving in snow. So I am probably being over cautious.

Phoenix got snow yesterday! Some places up to 2 inches!:eek:

Bieredalsace
12/16/2008, 03:09 PM
Those Autosocks look great for icy surfaces and i could have used them many many times...but I doubt they would be much help in
8" and up snow...IMHO

mdwyer
12/16/2008, 06:31 PM
Those Autosocks look great for icy surfaces and i could have used them many many times...but I doubt they would be much help in 8" and up snow...IMHO

That's my impression, too. I've also got the impression that they aren't actually recognized by the powers-that-be as 'chains'. So if you are legally required to have chains, and you put on socks, they'll still ticket you.

I'm not sure, though. It's been years since I last looked into the socks. I don't think they're right for most of us, though. I suspect they're best for people who get caught in the snow with summer tires. My friend tried to go over Independence Pass (12,095 ft.) in a snow storm with summer tires on his sporty VW and darn near killed him self. HE would have benefitted from socks, I think.

pbkid
12/16/2008, 07:15 PM
um maybe i shouldnt be putting this up on the web...but i was doin some donuts in the VX the other day and a cop pulled up to give me a ticket....

just took off up a hill....there was no way he was getting anywhere near me lol....

(i dont know why i felt i needed to say that except that you most likely wont need chains on a VX unless its required by law)

VehiGAZ
12/17/2008, 08:15 AM
Spide Spikes are supposed to work well, according to two different people I've talked to about them in VT, but they are very bulky and very expensive.

Todd Adams
12/17/2008, 09:09 AM
Speaking as one that has used chains on my VX I doubt anyone needs them if you are running some type of all terrain or off road tires. I carry a set with me and have never needed them for snow. Ice is a different matter and I have used them for very slick icy conditions that no one should be out in anyway. I have a full set for both the VX and the Jeep but never used on the Jeep and only 2 or 3 times on the VX.

So what have I used them for you ask? Rescue work during winter Association events where chains make the difference. Last year I went out on a truck rescue with the VX. I had the chains with me but never put them on. I was one of three vehicles out of 16 that actually made it to the stuck trucks. In some places we were plowing though 4 foot drifts with the average snow depth at 18”. I am running the new BFG MT’s which are a 1000% improvement over the old MT’s in the snow. There must be a compound change since the tread is not much different. Back when I was running 33” BFG MT’s on the Jeep I always had to chain up on winter runs.

If you live in an area that is prone to ice storms and have to go out then chains are the way to go but you need a full set. Keep in mind you can not drive very fast with chains and there are all the other crazy’s out there to contend with so you would be better off staying home anyway.

I am not sure about all the DOT regulations in every state but for the most part it is either chains or four wheel drive not both as it is here in Utah. If conditions get so bad as to require chains on a 4x4 then the roads get closed anyway. Save your money and by a set of all terrains. I highly recommend the Pro Comp AT’s for snow. I have a set on our Dodge and they been unstoppable.

Bulldoggie
12/18/2008, 11:07 AM

It's not the snow, that is a problem :rolleyes:

It's the ICE and freezing rain......:eek:

Having a spare set of rims with studded tires mounted may be more of a hassle, but it is the choice of many of my friends

Bulldoggie
12/18/2008, 11:23 AM
I remember going to a Basketball game (roads clear)

After the game, everyone went outside to find freezing rain!

About a half of an inch of smooth clear ice everywhere.

No one could get out of the parking lot because of the speed bumps.

It was funny at the time, because I had walked to the game.

Todd Adams
12/18/2008, 04:35 PM
If just for ice get these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000VAMSXG/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive
Much cheeper and they work good, just not as durable as chains.
Todd