PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a VX with 101K?

killinformula
12/15/2008, 02:08 PM
I can get a pretty good deal for a VX with 101K, but i am concerned about reliability, the car is MINT, but i was reading the forum with the engine failure posts and was wondering if it was worth it. I am currently driving a 1996 formula and trying to sell it to buy the VX, but i dont want to go from my reliable, fast (cammed, geared with every possible bolt on) car to a car i will worry about.
Please shed some light on this for me, i am new to the boards and definetely new to the car, considaring i just found out the existed yesterday!

Braden

The VX has to be one of the coolest designs in my opinion, and the red/black interior is pretty freaking sweet!

tom4bren
12/15/2008, 02:14 PM
She's just getting broke in. There are plenty of members here with that many miles & more. Just keep an eye on oil consumption & keep all the fluids changed at the posted intervals (there are how2's here on it).

The choice is yours but with the rarity of the VX, you should probably take the plunge sooner rather than later.

pbkid
12/15/2008, 02:22 PM
what exactly are you considering a good deal???
what year and color is it??

the year and color could definately change the value...

in my opinion, if it has lasted that long then most likely it isnt a lemon...

just make sure you keep an eye on the oil...(check it every time you fill up on gas)....and keep the PCV valve clean...

killinformula
12/15/2008, 02:35 PM
silver and under 6K... i would say it is a sweet deal. and it is a 2001

I also found one with 108K in beautiful condition i can walk out the door for 6,600.... it is white and a 1999.

both have the hood with the black on them.

both interiors are spotless.

good deal?

pbkid
12/15/2008, 04:39 PM
they both sound like a good deal...

it seems to me that if VX's have engine problems they happen from 70k to 90k
(seems to be the trend)....

so i would say its probably safe...

also, this is a great community of information and parts...so it makes the rarity of getting parts and info a lot easier...

i definately wouldnt have a VX still if i didnt find this site...(would have traded it for an STI when i blew my motor up)

nfpgasmask
12/15/2008, 04:44 PM
My 2 cents:

If those VXes are clean and running good and strong, I would say go for it. However, try to get maintenance records on them. I'm not saying this is the case, but you never know if one of those VXes did have an engine failure and have rebuilt or swapped engines. And not that that is horrible, if they are running good and look clean and nice, why not?

I will probably consider a 2nd VX down the road and if I can get one for under $6k, it's a done deal!!!

Justin, if you can't get $9k for you VX, I think you should just keep it. :p

Bart

Scott Harness
12/15/2008, 04:51 PM
For those prices I'd buy BOTH:eek:

lasturbo
12/15/2008, 04:57 PM
Get a pre-purchase inspection for "piece of mind" with a compression test! At least you can have a "list" of possible needed repairs/issues and can walk away at that point or use it as a negotiating tool....my 2 cents.:grino:

killinformula
12/15/2008, 05:51 PM
Hey guys i appreciate the information. I think you all would have died to see what this guy sold last saturday. he had a 1999 silver in mint, and i mean MINT condition with 78,000 miles he sold for 5,500 flat!!! he didnt know what it was he just thouhgt it was a POS. But h he searching for one for me, and he said he would give me a similar deal on one he has found. I called to buy the 1999 today to only be dissapointed that when i was calling him he was at the bank withdrawing the $ from the guy who just bought it hahaha talk about a slap to my face. I will let you all know tommorrow what happens on whether we settle on a deal for the 2001. I hope to be joining you all!!!!

killinformula
12/15/2008, 05:52 PM
the only reason i think these cars are going so cheap are because no one knows what the heck they have!!! and for a dealer to be ignorant that is a deal waiting to happen!

don moore
12/15/2008, 06:11 PM
i picked up mine for $8k...it had 117k on the odot.
premo condition..very nice .it has full recordes since new...I smile evertime i see it:p

pbkid
12/15/2008, 06:42 PM
well killinformula....if its any condolence(sic)....

i have a silver VX and if i did it over again i would have an ironman :eek:

so dont be too sad to get an ironman....(if you wanna trade we can talk)...:)

killinformula
12/15/2008, 08:05 PM
well killinformula....if its any condolence(sic)....

i have a silver VX and if i did it over again i would have an ironman :eek:

so dont be too sad to get an ironman....(if you wanna trade we can talk)...:)

what makes an iron man, the 1999 is listed as an iron man, but is it a color option or what?

LittleBeast
12/15/2008, 10:22 PM
what makes an iron man, the 1999 is listed as an iron man, but is it a color option or what?

Yes the "Ironmans" are white with red and black interiors, and the "Ironman" logo in various places on it. If you want a white one from the factory this would be your only option.

killinformula
12/15/2008, 10:58 PM
Yes the "Ironmans" are white with red and black interiors, and the "Ironman" logo in various places on it. If you want a white one from the factory this would be your only option.

if the silver one doesnt pan out i will be getting the iron man... they both look like cool cars so i am stoked i just hope i get one that will last me another 30K miles with no engine problems

LittleBeast
12/16/2008, 10:08 AM
if the silver one doesnt pan out i will be getting the iron man... they both look like cool cars so i am stoked i just hope i get one that will last me another 30K miles with no engine problems

Engine problems are the last thing you should be worried about. Only a select handful of VX's have ever had engine issues. I would say if it was taken care of and you take care of it, no worries, but if you ever have tranny work done, make sure the transmission case is filled up correctly or you will have issues.

crager34
12/16/2008, 10:26 AM
Just buy it already!! :p

don moore
12/16/2008, 10:27 AM
all white VXs were ironmans and all ironmans were white......they didnt make a white vx without the ironman stuff...just one and it was pearl white.:)

LittleBeast
12/16/2008, 10:36 AM
all white VXs were ironmans and all ironmans were white......they didnt make a white vx without the ironman stuff...just one and it was pearl white.:)

Didn't I just say that? ;)

don moore
12/16/2008, 10:39 AM
NO.. you said it in a different way....hehe..
lol :p

Scott Harness
12/16/2008, 02:04 PM

Don't quote me,but surely you could buy a white vx without the Ironman package...?

LittleBeast
12/16/2008, 02:06 PM
Don't quote me,but surely you could buy a white vx without the Ironman package...?

Nope unless it has been painted after it was purchased as an Ironman, and guess what no factory Ironmans (white VX) were made with the grey/black interior either. One of these days I will buy a VX with the Grey/black interior and paint it white, but that is the only way you are getting that combo.

etlsport
12/16/2008, 02:10 PM
Nope unless it has been painted after it was purchased as an Ironman, and guess what no factory Ironmans (white VX) were made with the grey/black interior either. One of these days I will buy a VX with the Grey/black interior and paint it white, but that is the only way you are getting that combo.

might be easier/cheaper to swap the interior from an ironman out with someone with a gray interior wanting a red one.. only hard part of that job is the steering wheel

there have been people who bought ironmans and removed all of the badging so they look like any other vx (except painted white of course) floor mats and seats also said ironman though (for the most part.. i think in 01 a few had seats w/o ironman embossing)

Doomer
12/16/2008, 08:25 PM
Another option to consider, as I found out when I just purchased mine, is you can buy warranties for used cars now. Since this is my first 4WD, and I have heard many horror stories about when the 4WD goes bad, I bought a 4 year/unlimited mileage bumper-to-bumper warranty with mine. Most banks/credit unions offer them, even on my 1999 IronMan.
My son was a service manager for Toyota, and he said why not? It's cheap (well, not that cheap) peace of mind. All dealerships, not just Isuzu honor them.
Hey, it even covers the window issue! I hope to never use it, but it helped me be more confident in buying the VX.
They offer different levels of coverage for different prices. Just some food for thought....Robert

killinformula
12/16/2008, 08:30 PM
i bought an iron man today!

killinformula
12/16/2008, 08:32 PM
Just buy it already!! :p

read previous post :bwgr:

Ldub
12/17/2008, 06:35 AM
It's cheap (well, not that cheap) peace of mind. All dealerships, not just Isuzu honor them.
....Robert

???...what's this "Isuzu dealership" you speak of ...???

:razzgray:...:smilewink...:rotate:...:smilewink... :razzgray:

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:34 AM
i looked on the carfax and it had a window issue already that was taken to the dealer.... i am going to research it and see what it is because i have seen a few threads about it.

Doomer
12/18/2008, 12:07 PM
Ldub...it appears to be a high priced parts store!:smilewink

Mark B
12/18/2008, 04:16 PM
I have 3 Isuzu's
1999 Amigo, 2002 Rodeo Sport and 2001 VX
They are all in good condition and run excellent with regular maintenance.
I fell Isuzu makes a very dependable engine for my 2 cents.