PDA

View Full Version : Winter Stories?

nfpgasmask
12/15/2008, 08:42 AM
How is everyone doing today?

I know its a bit knarley today here in Reno, cold and lots of snow, but I know it is much, much worse out there in other spots.

Bart

nocturnalVX
12/15/2008, 08:50 AM
No snow, but very cold... it's 8 outside right now (warming to a high of 12 later). :eek: We are supposed to get some light snow in the next couple of days. Orlando is lookin' better all the time!

VCrossfan
12/15/2008, 09:10 AM
Cold, light snow but there's just enough on the streets for some of the Idiots that use the "Summer " tactic of Driving/Texting and There Starbucks end up on the floor. It's fun to watch there expressions when they finally grab the wheel with BOTH hands..

nfpgasmask
12/15/2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I saw a wrecked white Isuzu Rodeo this morning off on the side of the hwy. Crumpled front end and both air bags deployed....probably slid off into the median. 4x4 does not mean you won't slide...

I would love to see Moab right now.

Bart

MSHardeman
12/15/2008, 09:37 AM
It's was -1 when I woke up this morning and we'll be hitting a high of 22 today. We got almost a foot of snow over the weekend, and more is supposed to be coming today. The roads are in TERRIBLE shape right now, but luckily everyone is driving very slowly and giving each other a lot of room for braking.

The snow sucks on the roads but it was SWEEEEEEET on the mountain yesterday. Nothing like 18 inches of fresh, light, dry Colorado powder. Who's up for a few runs?

Looks like Moab is a little chilly and snow is in the forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Moab&state=UT&site=GJT&textField1=38.5733&textField2=-109.549&e=0

Triathlete
12/15/2008, 09:56 AM
I suffered through a 2+ hour ride yesterday...It ONLY got up to 57 and was raining off and on!:rolleyes: I actually had to break put my arm warmers!:eek: I hate southern Arizona "winters".:bwgy:

tom4bren
12/15/2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, it's pushing 60 here today. Bright & sunny. Don't feel much like Christmas.

Scott Harness
12/15/2008, 11:16 AM
30 today with a little sleet...70's by Thursday Texas winters last just a few days at a time. kind of yo-yo's. It rarely stays cold for very long.

CrnCnn
12/15/2008, 11:56 AM
I'm a bit nervous because I only have my driver side CV installed. I am pretty sure my one axle will not help me since I have no locker.

Todd Adams
12/15/2008, 12:39 PM
No snow, but very cold... it's 8 outside right now (warming to a high of 12 later). :eek: We are supposed to get some light snow in the next couple of days. Orlando is lookin' better all the time!

I flew into Chicago last Monday and noticed you had some snow. When I left Salt Lake we had none but when I called Linda to check in she informed me there was 8" on the drive. Got another 10" Saturday and more on the way, should be measuring in feet by the end of the week. Did I mention traffic sucks in Chicago?
Todd

crager34
12/15/2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I saw a wrecked white Isuzu Rodeo this morning off on the side of the hwy. Crumpled front end and both air bags deployed....probably slid off into the median. 4x4 does not mean you won't slide...

I would love to see Moab right now.

Bart

Just a very light dusting of snow around town and not in all parts. The La Sals look great and very big.

I was in Denver over the weekend and drove back on Sunday and it was snow packed from around Idaho Springs to almost Grand Junction. I was in a little Honda Civic though.... better gas mileage.

crager34
12/15/2008, 12:44 PM
The snow sucks on the roads but it was SWEEEEEEET on the mountain yesterday. Nothing like 18 inches of fresh, light, dry Colorado powder. Who's up for a few runs?

Marc;

It's either Telluride or Aspen this weekend for me.... you got room I got the rum. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
12/15/2008, 01:22 PM
I'm a bit nervous because I only have my driver side CV installed. I am pretty sure my one axle will not help me since I have no locker.

I think you will be ok. I only dropped into 4x4 once and it was just cause I felt like it. I haven't really needed yet.

Did I mention traffic sucks in Chicago?
Todd

LOL, yeah, it's absolutely horrible there. It can easily take hours just to go across town, depending on how bad it is. And throw in some winter weather, for get about getting anywhere in a timely manner. :)

Bart

pbkid
12/15/2008, 02:11 PM
It's was -1 when I woke up this morning and we'll be hitting a high of 22 today. We got almost a foot of snow over the weekend, and more is supposed to be coming today. The roads are in TERRIBLE shape right now, but luckily everyone is driving very slowly and giving each other a lot of room for braking.

Looks like Moab is a little chilly and snow is in the forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Moab&state=UT&site=GJT&textField1=38.5733&textField2=-109.549&e=0

i think im riding copper tomorrow mark...wanna join us??

MSHardeman
12/15/2008, 03:37 PM
i think im riding copper tomorrow mark...wanna join us??

Jack, I think I'm going to stick close to home because the roads are terrible right now, but I do need to board the Front Range sometime soon.

Marc;

It's either Telluride or Aspen this weekend for me.... you got room I got the rum. :rolleyes:

Darrin,

I heard that they opened up a lot of new terrain in T-ride so I can't wait to get out there, and it sounds like they got a lot of snow this past weekend too. I have an air matress that you are always welcome to so come on out.

pbkid
12/15/2008, 04:36 PM
alright, well i ride copper tuesdays and thursdays during school....and any day im not working during break so let me know if you ever make it down that way...

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/15/2008, 11:05 PM
It was in the Fifties in Erie, PA region today but dropped to 25 tonight with high of 30 tomorrow. bouncy, bouncy, bouncy temps.

Had to drive my VX to work as my Ram was getting rear drums/brakes/inspection & I had to go into work early.

Got my 2" spacers from Independent4X.com today...(for intermediate lift hopefully preceding permanent lift)...still working on getting diff drop brackets....

Hooked on paperbacks titled after the "Mass Effect" video game....can't puttem down! "Mass Effect Revelation"....."Mass Effect Ascention"

Thank God for my X-Box 360!!!

Ldub
12/16/2008, 06:40 AM
Cold, light snow but there's just enough on the streets for some of the Idiots that use the "Summer " tactic of Driving/Texting and There Starbucks end up on the floor. It's fun to watch there expressions when they finally grab the wheel with BOTH hands..

That's odd...we have a surplus of those too. As a matter of fact, I almost got T-BONED, TWICE, in a three block stretch...both of them blew through stop signs because they were involved in activities OTHER than driving. :upsetgray
Were it not for my paranoia, & Suzys extraordinary sure footedness, I'd have been making a trip to the body shop...:sighwgray

That was Friday, Saturday was a good day. Jim came into town & we spent the afternoon mapping out routes to Moab, drinking lots of coffee & playing video games. Probably the closest either one of us will come to tearin' it up on a MX bike again...but man, back in the day...:cool:

Saturday evening/Sunday morn turned into the first blizzard of the season.
All the usual symptoms...bitterly cold below zero temps, snow, wind, etc.

Char & Adam (two of my neighbors in the building) came down to "Larryland", and we spent a fun filled afternoon having many "adventures in mixology", watching movies (the MST3K treatment of "I was a teenage werewolf" was by far, the hit of the day), turned out to be one of the greatest blizzard parties of all time...:thumbup:

Yesterday, Suzy dragged belly all the way through & out the parking lot. Only had to stop & back up for another run at it a couple of times...then helped the same two neighbors dig their vehicles out...ahhhhh, life is good in the vast frozen wasteland...:cool:

This morning is still twelve below zero...:_snowplow

etlsport
12/16/2008, 07:05 AM
yea there is a severe lack of driving ability around me too.. we had an unexpected snow of about 3-4 inches overnight.. i woke up to 4 cars off the road within 1/4 mile or less and a few skid marks up into my yard

then a couple weeks later.. we got about 1/2 inch around 9pm.. on my drive home.. saw 3 accidents within 5 miles of my house.. i hardly even slowed my driving down.. just didnt accelerate in turns lol

nfpgasmask
12/16/2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah, its all about stopping and turning out here. Going straight is no big deal, but trying to stop going down hill or braking on turns gets interesting.

I have to say though, I feel that my BFG M/Ts are performing WAY better in the snow than my previous BFG A/Ts.

Another weird thing, is I dropped into 4x4 yesterday on my lunch brake cause I was having some fun plowing through some snow banks in the parking lot at work. I stopped for lunch and parked the VX still in 4 low. When I got back in, my ABS light was not lit for the first time in probably 6 or 7 months, and I could feel the ABS working again. It kept working for almost my entire ride home from work, and then came back on. So weird.

Bart

mdwyer
12/16/2008, 08:56 AM
I was in Denver over the weekend and drove back on Sunday and it was snow packed from around Idaho Springs to almost Grand Junction. I was in a little Honda Civic though.... better gas mileage.

Awww... you could have made it to the Colorado Colors Meetup! ...except it got cancelled because of the... snow.

Techy-D
12/16/2008, 09:49 AM
Might not be cold or snowy to you other folks, but we've been in the Teens to 20's for a few days and a few inches of snow, with more on the way (They think up to a foot and 1/2 on Sunday!!!). It's been nice with WAY LESS traffic on the road, and as long as I take it real easy, I've had almost no problems on my 40 mile round trip each day on the backroads. I tried to power out of a small slide Sunday Morning, but ended up sliding into a small ditch and then keeping going and driving back out (no damage at all), but it was good to learn my lesson early and in a safe spot. I use to live in Spokane, so this isn't new to me, but for some reason it's just way more slipery down here, and most folks don't seem to know what to do with it.

don moore
12/16/2008, 10:33 AM
yup 15 today and the roads are all ice...weeeeeeeeeeee..... opps..hehe:rolleyes:

Ldub
12/16/2008, 12:25 PM
One thing to always remember during winter driving...well ALL driving, but especially when slippery.
Leave a couple of car lengths in front of you when stopped in traffic, this has "saved my bacon" more than a few times, the last time was on perfectly dry pavement when I noticed a benz coming up behind me WAY TOO FAST...of course the "driver" was otherwise occupied in conversation...:rolleyesg

When I heard her brakes lock up, I was REAL glad I had somewhere to go...I watched in my rearview as I pulled away, & she sat there & SHOOK. I was nearly a block away before she started moving again.

Oh yeah...always remember to bring a towel.

Scott Harness
12/16/2008, 01:55 PM
Char & Adam (two of my neighbors in the building) came down to "Larryland", and we spent a fun filled afternoon having many "adventures in mixology", watching movies (the MST3K treatment of "I was a teenage werewolf" was by far, the hit of the day), turned out to be one of the greatest blizzard parties of all time...:thumbup:

I wanna do a blizzard party at "Larryland":cool:

kodiak
12/16/2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, when I’m driving in the snow I spend more time looking behind me then ahead of me. I almost got hit today because some one thought there F150 4x4 was some kind of a snow ninja. He did a left turn out of a parking lot to fast and started to slide sideways right towards me. I pulled forward and he missed me by 2 feet.:mad:

Ldub
12/16/2008, 03:29 PM

Well, you'll have to watch the weather a week in advance, & start driving due north at just the right time...:smilewink

But once you've cleared that obstacle, you, my Friend, have a standing invitation to any "doin's" at ANY time of the year... except for that one week in May when I won't be home...:naughty:

VehiGAZ
12/17/2008, 06:39 AM
Nothing like 18 inches of fresh, light, dry Colorado powder. Who's up for a few runs?

ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! ME!!!

Our ski house (rental) in VT is still without power since last week's ice storm, so I don't know if we can make it up there this weekend at all.

I got a brand new Burton Supermodel in the basement crying for snow. And we're trying to plan out a ski trip for February - Steamboat maybe... a direct flight from NYC is like $270 right now.

MSHardeman
12/17/2008, 06:00 PM
VehiGAZ, get out here NOW. We've been getting hammered by snow and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. We had a little break today, but it's supposed to start snowing again tonight, and it's not supposed to let up until after the weekend some time. I don't know how Steamboat is fairing, but it's all good in the Aspen valley.

Scott Harness
12/19/2008, 08:30 AM
AHH! 75 today that's more like it! BOO...30 forcast for Sunday:(

Kenny
12/19/2008, 08:50 AM
Larry, I hear you're getting dumped on - snow that is. We're not seeing the snow too much, but holy @#$% it's cold. -28F, but -48F with the windchill.

Even in my garage, my navigation screen is a bit funky in the morning. But how sweet it is to have underground parking at work!:)

But I gotta say, the Optima redtop gel battery is amazing when I was starting the VX in the mornings before the garage. Being from the eastern states, the car does not have a block heater - but it only took a minute to warm up. But what really drove me nuts back then was after driving a block the windshield started to ice up on the inside, had to pull over and wait another few minutes for the defrost to catch up.

All in all, I find the the VX laughs at winters (when she has the right tires on).

Cheers,
Happy holidays.:grinr::gring::grinb:

That's odd...we have a surplus of those too. As a matter of fact, I almost got T-BONED, TWICE, in a three block stretch...both of them blew through stop signs because they were involved in activities OTHER than driving. :upsetgray
Were it not for my paranoia, & Suzys extraordinary sure footedness, I'd have been making a trip to the body shop...:sighwgray

That was Friday, Saturday was a good day. Jim came into town & we spent the afternoon mapping out routes to Moab, drinking lots of coffee & playing video games. Probably the closest either one of us will come to tearin' it up on a MX bike again...but man, back in the day...:cool:

Saturday evening/Sunday morn turned into the first blizzard of the season.
All the usual symptoms...bitterly cold below zero temps, snow, wind, etc.

Yesterday, Suzy dragged belly all the way through & out the parking lot. Only had to stop & back up for another run at it a couple of times...then helped the same two neighbors dig their vehicles out...ahhhhh, life is good in the vast frozen wasteland...:cool:

This morning is still twelve below zero...:_snowplow

Scott Harness
12/19/2008, 08:59 AM
Okay,Okay I won't whine anymore.:gring:

taylorRichie
12/19/2008, 10:34 AM
I'm in the midst of a big one right now... with no sign of letting up...

Looking at 6+" at my house today...

First time I'll get to test out the VX in snow...

:)

Todd Adams
12/19/2008, 11:53 AM
This is what this tread reminds me of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gLjfE_3Y&NR=1

kodiak
12/19/2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, it's pretty bad out there today.

I'm in the midst of a big one right now... with no sign of letting up...

Looking at 6+" at my house today...

First time I'll get to test out the VX in snow...

VehiGAZ
12/19/2008, 12:41 PM
Snowing good here in CT too. Work shut down, so I putzed around until the back section of the parking lot was empty, then did some donuts ebfore heading home. :-)

The ride home was nasty - fine for the VX, but crippling for others.

circmand
12/19/2008, 01:33 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ldub
12/19/2008, 03:33 PM
Larry, I hear you're getting dumped on - snow that is. We're not seeing the snow too much, but holy @#$% it's cold. -28F, but -48F with the windchill.

Even in my garage, my navigation screen is a bit funky in the morning. But how sweet it is to have underground parking at work!:)

But I gotta say, the Optima redtop gel battery is amazing when I was starting the VX in the mornings before the garage. Being from the eastern states, the car does not have a block heater - but it only took a minute to warm up. But what really drove me nuts back then was after driving a block the windshield started to ice up on the inside, had to pull over and wait another few minutes for the defrost to catch up.

All in all, I find the the VX laughs at winters (when she has the right tires on).

Cheers,
Happy holidays.:grinr::gring::grinb:

Yep...going out in a bit to "provision up" for tomorrows blizzard party...:naughty:
Smokes, various breeds of alcohol & appropriate mixins, soup, bread, etc...:cool:
If possible, please keep the WAY too far below zero stuff up on YOUR side of the border...:smilewink
Very Warm Holiday Wishes to my favorite Neighbors to the Nort!:thumbup:

This is what this tread reminds me of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gLjfE_3Y&NR=1

Yah, it's so strange that beeping your horn & deploying the "Flintstone brakes" doesn't seem to be that effective...who'd a thunk it?...:rolleyesg...:smilewink

VXGirlie01
12/20/2008, 06:33 PM
1 foot of snow here in seattle. we were one of the very few cars out today looking at the holiday lights. it was the first time driving the vx in the snow. and i must say.....WOW!!! what a tank in the snow! i was very pleased!!

took him up skiing as well
http://jasontang.virtuality.org/albums/crystalmountainfriends/IMG_0405.sized.jpg photo courtesy of our friend jason that went skiing with us

kodiak
12/21/2008, 01:56 PM
1 foot of snow here in seattle. we were one of the very few cars out today looking at the holiday lights. it was the first time driving the vx in the snow. and i must say.....WOW!!! what a tank in the snow! i was very pleased!!

lol! I had to go out on a couple of recue mission on Friday it was a lot of fun. No matter how hard I try I just can’t get stuck.:rolleyes:

VehiGAZ
12/21/2008, 02:10 PM
lol! I had to go out on a couple of recue mission on Friday it was a lot of fun. No matter how hard I try I just can’t get stuck.:rolleyes:

You get back in there and edit that post! You are tempting fate!

kodiak
12/21/2008, 03:17 PM
You get back in there and edit that post! You are tempting fate!

:pI just sacrificed a chicken, so think I’m ok……...for now.:right:

taylorRichie
12/21/2008, 05:10 PM
Well I didn't get stuck... First time with the VX on bad roads... did great...

Only... What the hell is up with the understeer!! LAME! now I see why the 50/50 split is much better. And I got a bit too cocky and... hit a curb... silly me... ;)

kodiak
12/21/2008, 05:40 PM
Well I didn't get stuck... First time with the VX on bad roads... did great...

Only... What the hell is up with the understeer!! LAME! now I see why the 50/50 split is much better. And I got a bit too cocky and... hit a curb... silly me... ;)

lol! There is a mod for that, I was just thinking about doing this yesterday.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=109&4-HI_conversion_for_TOD_equipped_Isuzus

Yeah if you don’t power in to your turns you’ll under steer in the snow just like a two wheel drive truck. But be sure you’re in second or you’re using the winter button. ( Same thing.;))

pbkid
12/21/2008, 06:17 PM
ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! ME!!! ME!!!

Our ski house (rental) in VT is still without power since last week's ice storm, so I don't know if we can make it up there this weekend at all.

I got a brand new Burton Supermodel in the basement crying for snow. And we're trying to plan out a ski trip for February - Steamboat maybe... a direct flight from NYC is like $270 right now.

if you make it out let me know and i will definately come ride with you guys...

pbkid
12/21/2008, 06:18 PM

^^^^x2 :)

taylorRichie
12/24/2008, 07:09 AM
Well, I had to rescue 3 cars yesterday... 2 from my street. If you don't have 4WD you're not getting to the end of the street. (They don't plow it.)

I drove my VX back and forth on it and with these big wide Nitto Mud grapplers the entire street looked like it had a CAT TRACK go over it.

I went and built a 5' chain with different ends on it so I could get out the little cars that have no place for a strap.

People get excited when they get pulled out by my VX, they've never seen or heard of one, and want one. Especially when I don't break loose at all while pulling them through the snow (4-lo).

snowtrooper1966
12/24/2008, 08:46 AM
Your a good man, taylor!
Around here we dont help the tourons leave, we try to make 'em stay till all thier dough is gone;)
Except the two that almost T boned me yesterday while taking Snowtrooper Jr to daycare...they can leave!

It's about 18 degrees with a few inches of new snow last night, and forcast for a steady snow untill Xmas AM!
Here's to keeping all 4 on the road!
Best,

taylorRichie
12/24/2008, 01:44 PM
Got home from work just now (early day) and had a box of cookies on my porch... Nice old lady gave them as a thanks for getting her unstuck. :)

We're supposed to get snow in a couple hours with it running through the day tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be helping people get unstuck on the way to my Mah's tomorrow. Damn city plow budgets got cut.

etlsport
12/24/2008, 04:27 PM
had ice last night.. about 2am i hear honking outside my window.. and i dont exactly live in a populated area.. so out the door i go to find like 5 cars within 200 ft of my driveway... a buick turned sideways across both lanes and a crowd of people standing around trying not to fall down.. the guy had lost control and came to a stop sideways in the middle of the road.. but was "too freakin scared" to try to move his car (his back wheels were ON the bank of a creek that dropped maybe 2 ft to the creek

so i salted the whole road around him and we finally talked him into trying to get his car going again.. so after taking about 10 minutes to turn his car so it was back in a lane again he proceeded to drive down the road at less than 5mph.. as he drove away a civic going up the hill started to spin its tires... so another civic tries to pass it in the other lane (double yellow the whole way.. twisty back road).. and it starts spinning its tires.. so then there were matching civics stuck side by side blocking the road.. i smacked my forehead.. asked the guy in the 2nd civic what the $*^! he was thinking and then salted for them too.. then went inside before anyone else could annoy the crap out of me...
:rollb:

rowhard
12/24/2008, 06:16 PM
Well, my winter story really sucks. I just went out to my beloved VX to find the car port has collapsed on it. THEN, I hear our governor, yes the one that has been in the news with the Christmas crap has just declared a state of emergency so doesn't that effect how my home owners insurance pay's? I have never had a claim before so I have no idea.

But that aside, this rig kicks @ss in the snow, my god what an incredible snow vehicle

snowtrooper1966
12/24/2008, 08:02 PM
Maybe Santa landed on the carport...
Did you check inside the VX to see if he left you any presents?