PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Engine Problem - HELP!!!

tomdietrying
07/12/2003, 12:09 PM
Well, I went out for my birthday to downtown Dallas. That's about 10 miles. Hour later drove to Sears. Stayed in there about 15 minutes. When I tried to start my VX, IT WOULD NOT START. It would crank up, but as soon as I took my foot off the gas it would die. This happened about 15 times. I thought that maybe it was just too hot outside and the engine might need to be cooled. I popped the hood, started the cat like nothing was ever wrong. I went straight to the dealer to have them check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advice on what you think it may be would really be appreciated.

paultvx
07/12/2003, 12:21 PM
Not quite the same for me... I was at a 3 way stop, when it was my turn to go the VX rolled forward about 2 feet and died. Complete power loss. Tried to restart immediately and nothing. The starter didn't even crank. Oddly, the hazard lights worked. Turned the key to completely off, waited a few seconds and tried it again and it fired right up like nothing had happened. It was really strange... like I had entered some weird vortex or something. Mentioned it to the dealer and they said since no warning lights came on, there's nothing they can do... chalked it up as a glitch.

The only things I can think of for your case is perhaps the fuel filter is clogged... or the gas cap is not on tight enough for the tank to pressurize corrrectly. Sounds like the motor wasn't getting fuel or spark.

Triathlete
07/12/2003, 06:53 PM
When hot out mine does this on occation. I have found that opening the gas cap and resecuring it usually does the job. Its like the heat causes it ti get vapor lock or something. Give it a try next time and see if this helps. :smack:
To those in the know...could this be a bad gas cap?:confused:

dtruax
07/13/2003, 01:32 PM
I that exact thing happen once - I had not pushed the Mass Air Sensor (by filter) the whole way back in after I unplugged it. Ipushed it back in, and things were back to normal.

mrtew
07/15/2010, 03:21 AM
My VX does this every few months. If I drive to several places and it sits in the sun on a really hot day for about 5 minutes while I run in to some store when I come back it starts fine but then stalls several times in a row. Finally the revs will stay up and it gets back to normal and I don't see it again for a long time and forget all about it. It's good to knowI'm not the only one and it would be even better to find out the cause and cure!

etlsport
07/15/2010, 04:26 AM
replacing my fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter got rid of the problem for me.. exactly how you described it but for me it was a weekly problem. the odd thing though is that mine seemed worse in the winter time

circmand
07/15/2010, 07:31 AM
I doubt heat is the issue. I live in BHC which is in the middle of the Mohave Desert (for those who may not have heard of it) are summers are always in the 110 degrees plus. Last summer we had a dozen days in a row where the temp was in the 120 degree plus area and over 100 at night. Never had this issue. That being said whatever the issue is may of course be complicated by heat.

jdm monkey
07/15/2010, 07:53 AM
Did you check your IAC valve?

Bob Barker
07/15/2010, 08:17 AM
Sounds like diry fuel filters to me. I would start there, easiest and cheapest fixes first, then if that doesn't work move on to more expensive things.

Another free fix may be to check all the vacuum lines for cracks or maybe one is loose...