PDA

View Full Version : Shocks - Rancho 9000xl

VehiX
12/14/2008, 04:47 PM
Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.

iamironman
12/14/2008, 06:22 PM
Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.

I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...

etlsport
12/14/2008, 09:05 PM
I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...

i think you are the only person i have ever heard that from.. why dont you like them? just curious.. i have my stock shocks and a back up set i dont plan on getting rid of..

VehiX
12/14/2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your response iamironman, but I'm looking specifically for the 9000XL's not the 9000's. I have done searches where people mentioned that they have em and love em but no details on them.

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the 9000's? Anyone know the major difference between the 9000's and the 9000XL's?

The stock shocks are not an option for me as I don't have a spare arm and leg to fork over for them! Not sure what makes them worth $425 a peice either?! I'm convinced that price is a misprint from the dealer! For that price I could have a custom set up built from fabtech or some other outrageous suspension company/setup! Sheesh

Anyway, I have asked about the XL's before ...over a year ago... and still no one seems to have the details. If you own the XL's and have some info for me, please chime in.

iamironman
12/14/2008, 10:49 PM
Ok... I was being ummmm short... they are the rancho 9000xl's... I was not aware they had just 9000's without the 'xl'...

I don't like them.... I bought the vx in july and they were already on... they have the in cab controll to charge them and release the air and the dual pressure gauge... they have never worked right... I fill them up, they hold the pressure... I drive around a bit, notice the ride is deteriorating... look down they are empty... one point, one air tube burst... not sure why... but a mech friend found the leak and replaced the tube for me.... worked just like before...! up n down.... I thought it was cool at first... even bragged to buddies how I could go from highway to off-road on-the-fly... but after weeks, nay months now of constantly reaching down and pushing the button to fill them back up every couple hours... now they won't fill up at all anymore... can hear the motor chuggin away but no fill up... and I've had two people including Tone try and find the leak.... no luck... BUT.... I am willing to give them one last chance to redeem themselves.... I'm going to take the vx to a rancho dealer and see if they can find the problem (find it cheap, hope they don't charge to 'find' a problem).... and if it is a reasonable $$ fix, git 'r dun, if they don't hold up... something else goes wrong with them, I'm switching.... I'd rather have something that, in the immortal words of our great denizen of the infomercial Ron Popiel says.... I can: "Set it and Forget it"

etlsport
12/15/2008, 06:35 AM
that makes sense then, i have heard that complaint a few times about the in cabin controls for it.. an installer told me that like 75% or more have trouble with the remote system. as far as i know, very few people have had trouble with leaking if they dont have the remote system (just turn the dial on the shocks themselves instead)

crager34
12/15/2008, 08:39 AM
I have them... I really like them. I have the fronts set to 7 and the rear to 8 I believe and love the ride they offer. I don't know the part numbers, but they are easy enough to find. Try and find a buy three get one free offer... this happens alot with Rancho.

VCrossfan
12/15/2008, 08:42 AM
I've had the Racncho RS9000X on for a few years ( 90% hiway use ) with the 9 way adjustments, all 4 shocks at my door for around $200 ( BUY 3 GET 1 FREE W/FREE SHIPPING ) it had the option for the inside cabin control unit which I passed knowing there would be problems in time. I set mine on 6-7 and love them...

nocturnalVX
12/15/2008, 09:09 AM
I have the Rancho shocks, and like the adjustability. I mostly drive around with all 4 set at the max (9). I like the firm ride, and the VX wallows around too much when the shocks are set at the minimum (1). However, I do set them at 1 when people that don't like the "rough" ride are riding along. I have shocked a few people that the ride can change so much. I have not messed around with the middle settings too much, and did not get the remote controller option because of all the horror stories.

I am getting Cece a set of the Bilstein H1 shocks for Christmas, so I will be able to compare them against my Ranchos.

iamironman
12/15/2008, 09:39 AM
so... you can set something right on the shock itself?
how does the air get in if it's not pumped in?
or am I stuck because mine has the hook-up on it for the in-cab thingymabobthatsucks?
should I just take it to a dealer and have them take the thingymabobthatsucks off and set it where I might like it set? (I think I'd be ok with 7 f/r)

Anyone want a FREE (just pay for shipping) in-cab thingymabobthatsucks?

nocturnal: please let us know ow the bilstiens stack up!

Doomer
12/15/2008, 10:47 AM
I have no help, but another question along these lines. Does anyone know if the stock shocks are rebuildable?
I have a freind who is manager of a 4-wheel drive shop, and he recommends the Bilsteins, but said the Ranchos are good too. However, he said the stockers may be rebuildable.
I know motorcycles have used this type of shock for years, and most of them are rebuildable and can be recharged without rebuilding.
My shocks are fine, but I am curious.
Thanks...Robert

nocturnalVX
12/15/2008, 11:02 AM
so... you can set something right on the shock itself?
how does the air get in if it's not pumped in?

There is a dial at the base of each shock that sets the firmness (if you don't have the in-cab setup). I don't think you can retrofit the dials onto the shocks made to be adjusted by air pressure.

LittleBeast
12/15/2008, 11:22 AM
I have no help, but another question along these lines. Does anyone know if the stock shocks are rebuildable?
I have a freind who is manager of a 4-wheel drive shop, and he recommends the Bilsteins, but said the Ranchos are good too. However, he said the stockers may be rebuildable.
I know motorcycles have used this type of shock for years, and most of them are rebuildable and can be recharged without rebuilding.
Thanks...Robert

http://www.brucessuspension.com/

Bruce is a very nice guy and has rebuilt VX shocks for members here before. I am sending him a spare set I acquired here on vx.info to be rebuilt sometime this week. He is the only guy I have been able to find that is willing to do this. He should be able to get all 4 rebuilt somewhere between $475-500. He gives multiple discounts when you send him all 4 at once. I have taken before and after photos of me cleaning them and will snap some more shots when I get them from him. I purchased my extra set of stock shocks from a member here for $100 dropped off in Austin (no shipping costs), add the price of the rebuild and shipping there and back and I am looking at $700 for 4 OEM KYB VX shocks rebuilt and ready to go, a little better than what Isuzu wants for them :)

VCrossfan
12/15/2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks...Robert

My buddy has a Motorcycle shop and has a pair of my originals under his bench for a couple of years now and we have been meaning to pulling one apart and if there is no inner damage to the reservoir ( scared, out-of-round etc. ) then just getting seal kits might do it. I have access to Nitrogen at work, we use nitro for assist gas on our Lasers. In fact we just installed a Nitrogen Generator and make our own, why pay for it when it's 78% of what you breath. The generator removes the Oxygen. I'll talk to him and bump it up on the things to do list.

Scott Harness
12/15/2008, 11:44 AM

Bruce is a very nice guy and has rebuilt VX shocks for members here before. I am sending him a spare set I acquired here on vx.info to be rebuilt sometime this week. He is the only guy I have been able to find that is willing to do this. He should be able to get all 4 rebuilt somewhere between $475-500. He gives multiple discounts when you send him all 4 at once. I have taken before and after photos of me cleaning them and will snap some more shots when I get them from him. I purchased my extra set of stock shocks from a member here for $100 dropped off in Austin (no shipping costs), add the price of the rebuild and shipping there and back and I am looking at $700 for 4 OEM KYB VX shocks rebuilt and ready to go, a little better than what Isuzu wants for them :)
Thanks for the info!:cool:

VCrossfan
12/15/2008, 03:05 PM

Cool Beast...Ask Bruce if he is replacing the "Seal Head" it's the main part that has to do with our shocks leaking. It's located at the bottom of the shock where the shaft enters the shock and that seal is the one that fails, also just changing that seal might be ok for a while but if the bushing is worn it won't be long until that seals fails. We found what we need through KYB mainly the Seal Head complete unit (16mm I.D X 46MM O.D.) We disassembled one today and I'll have pic's tomorrow showing the Seal Head. And there wasn't any scaring of the reservoir I.D. or the main I.D. of the shock body...

lasturbo
12/15/2008, 05:09 PM
I have no experience with the "factory KYB's" as mine had 134k on it when I bought her and they were shot as my VX was bouncing all over the place. I installed the Rancho 9000XL's (RS999215 & RS999214) back in October and what a difference. I have the fronts at 8 and rears at 7 and feels OK. My only complaint that I still can feel a little bounce but do not know if it is the normal short wheel base (IFS front/springs rear) feeling without comparing with another fellow VX'r with factory KYB's and/or Bilstein set-up. I also sent in my receipts as Rancho had a promo for getting the new Rancho myRIDE wireless remote control tuning system so I will see what that is all about when I receive the "kit." More to come....

VehiGAZ
12/16/2008, 02:48 PM
My heretical 2 cents...

The OEM shocks may be cool in design, but they are complete junk.

It seems that most owners have had failures before 75k miles. OK, maybe I shouldn't say "most" but even if it's 25% of us, WTF?!? That's a miserable failure rate!

Get a set of Bils - they are warrantied for life. The Rancho's need to be cranked up to 7-9 to get a comparable ride to the OEM setup, so why bother having an adjustment?

VCrossfan
12/16/2008, 04:40 PM
LittleBeast here's a pic of our Seal Head unit, Ask Bruce if his price includes it being replaced. You can still get them (or very close to it) from KYB (16mm I.D X 46MM O.D.)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_3720.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12531)

This pic shows the entire shock apart, if you notice the top round plate has been destroyed, it's purpose mainly to keep people from messing with the Schrader valve. Under alot of Nitrogen Pressure. I don't think it needs to replaced if rebuilt...In my opinion

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_3700.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12530)

lasturbo
09/25/2009, 07:01 PM
Will Rancho 9000XL's work with a 3 inch lift???

Spike
09/30/2009, 06:53 AM
I have them... I really like them. I have the fronts set to 7 and the rear to 8 I believe and love the ride they offer. I don't know the part numbers, but they are easy enough to find. Try and find a buy three get one free offer... this happens alot with Rancho.

That is about where I have mine set - and I have had them for about 4 years I think?
Unfortunately, I don't remember the model #'s

At first I drove around on them all set to 9 ... wow was THAT fun!
I enjoyed 'feeling the paint stripes' on the highway .. but I knew my passengers wouldnt, so i turned them back down a little bit

;)

I do remember reading on other general 4x4 forums that the remote units were prone to be flaky. So that was never a consideration of mine. So just tune them in, and leave them there

Just remember to have them installed so you can easily reach the knob!

Osteomata
09/30/2009, 08:52 AM
Well which shocks would you recommend for the following situation (currently running OEMs)
1. You can barely stand the incredibly rough ride. Bone jarring is how I would describe it.
2. You do not anticipate doing any off roading.

Rancho's set at medium? Bilsteins?

Spike
09/30/2009, 01:20 PM
Well with the Ranchos, you DO have options! Just sayin'

alterastro
09/30/2009, 02:55 PM
OK, going back to basics here... are my standard shocks shot or ok? The ride is bone juddering to say the least. I always thought that if they were shot the ride would be 'wallowy' but others comments suggest it would be very hard?

What is the standard set up like. I'm convinced mine is too hard, but always thought that was 'how they are'!

James, can I have a ride in yours to compare????

Nick :)

MSHardeman
09/30/2009, 04:55 PM
Nick if your teeth rattle everytime you run over a strip in the road and you can feel every little pebble in you butt then your VX is just right.:biggringr
Seriously, the ride is pretty stiff (brutal) to begin with; at least that's my experience. I'm with you, if the shocks are going out the VX would bounce up and down a few times after you hit a bump. Also, you can crawl under the VX and look at the shocks to see if they are leaking fluid.

VX KAT
09/30/2009, 05:51 PM
I too disliked the extremely rough ride, and literally thought my back door was going to jiggle off or at least bend/damage the hinges when driving on dirt/gravel roads.

After off-roading in Moab 1st day, back door was jarred askew and didn't close correctly...Jack (pbkid) or some other mystery VXer :p fixed it while it sat in the parking lot at the Red Rock Lodge. :thanx:

After much research, went with the Ranch RS9000xl's, have all set at 5.

Some observations:
~2 of 4 OEMs (1 front, 1 rear) were blown, but no fluid was leaking.
~pushing on front and rear fenders showed virtually NO movement, so the "pushing test" to assess shocks was not helpful in my case.
~my VX rides only about 1/2" above rear bump stop, which means it hits it hard virtually every time I hit ANY bump/pebble.
~Tim Parker (SBC) told me that most VXs either rode sitting ON the bump stop, or had very little clearance like mine (and his)...so the rough slammin' ride was very much related to this.
~I've considered cutting bump stops in half as many have done...but mechanic talked me out of it (can't recall why dang it)
~Hubby's FJ and my 4Runner have about 7-8" clearance above rear bump stops...so I don't understand why the VX has so very little clearance.
~Ride on rough/gravel/dirt road did improve with the Ranchos, rear door jiggling noise is reduced. (I literally assess the ride by how loud the noise is from rear door).
~I recall a post that said the Ranchos set at level 9 were still softer than the OEMs.

Very pleased I got the Ranchos, the way I look at it, with 9 adjustments, I have much greater flexibility to find a ride I like, and can change it. It's still firm enough that I'm pleased with cornering and off-road performance.

I too got a deal on the Ranchos, but 3 get 1 free...I paid $97 x3.

Knigh7s
09/30/2009, 08:24 PM
I've been using the Rancho RS9000x (not xl) Shocks for a good 2 or so years. I don't really have a complaint about them. I've always had them set to 9 since the day I installed them. I did find that my OEM shocks had no rebound after uninstalling them. I would literally have to pull the shaft out manually.

But do to the construction i have to drive through on a daily basis now, Just like VX Kat, I'm afraid my rear door is going to swing open one day on its own... I wish there was more we could do about that instead of its limited adjust-ability.

Some decent coilovers would be really awsome!!!

lasturbo
09/30/2009, 11:03 PM
Do any of you have your VX lifted with Rancho 9000xl's? My question is will they be long enough if you go 1-3 inches?
Rancho 9000XL specs FRONT
RS999214
Compressed-10.375
Extended-14.500
Rancho 9000XL specs REAR
RS999215
Compressed-12.875
Extended-19.125

etlsport
10/01/2009, 06:19 AM
yea, just priced them out at work (sears auto)

RS999215 and RS999214 for the 9000XL series

They are 104.99 each w/ a $40(total, 10 per shock) mail in rebate when you buy all 4 in october plus free install

deermagnet
10/01/2009, 05:01 PM
I probably have more miles behind the wheel of a VX on Rancho 9-way shocks than anyone in the world.

I junked the shocks from hell at 48K miles and went with the old school 9000X set on seven. I loved 'em and praised these shocks for years as the best thing I ever did to my VX. This is my daily driver so I know from hitting the same bumps and holes every day when there's even a slight lose of performance. I went with a second set at 100K. That's 52K, but many would've been happy taking 'em to 70K or more. I again had 'em set on seven to start, but on the way home I knew it wasn't gonna work. My VX was now older and the suspension may have been getting softer. I turned 'em up to eight and that was the ticket. A third set went on at 150K set on eight.

At 195K in 6/09 they were still pretty good, but I was anxious to try the 9000XL that everyone was talkin' 'bout. Being that they were gas-charged, I figured they would be stiffer than the non-gas-charged X's I've been used to. I had the dude set 'em on six to start. I bounced the front end and it felt too soft. The ride home confirmed that, so I tried eight. Nope, still too soft. Nine was slightly better, but I needed one or two more clicks to make it perfect. I was a good bit disappointed. They cost me over $500 with the install!

I chalked it up to over nine years on the road and 195K on the suspension parts. I actually got used to the new ride quite quickly and was eventually satisfied with the XL's. I'm now at 204K with almost 10,000 miles on the XL's. Today while I was out doin' 'bout a hundred miles I tried to reevaluate the ride and I'm still very happy with the way it handles bumps and cornering and whatnot.

It is in no way set in stone that these will be my next set of shocks. Around 260K I think I'd need Rancho to extend the choice of settings to ten or eleven. But I'll hesitate at that bridge when I see it. ;)

Mark Griffin :_steering

Scott
03/06/2015, 05:20 PM
Looking to rebuild my OEM shocks. The web address referred to in multiple posts is brucessuspension.com which doesn't work. I did find a suspension guy in NC, Bruce Triplett, whose website centers on motorcycle suspension but hope he's the guy. That website is brucessuspension.NET.

djvx
03/06/2015, 05:27 PM
Looking to rebuild my OEM shocks. The web address referred to in multiple posts is brucessuspension.com which doesn't work. I did find a suspension guy in NC, Bruce Triplett, whose website centers on motorcycle suspension but hope he's the guy. That website is brucessuspension.NET.

Hit he same dead end, let us know if that's him, and a price. Good Luck!

Mile High VX
03/07/2015, 07:53 AM
There is a great place here in the Denver area that did a set for arcobarco in UT.

http://www.rg3denver.com/

About $900 to do all four IIRC.

Matt is the owner and really good to work with.

LittleBeast
03/07/2015, 09:25 PM
Here are the two number's for Bruce's Suspension that I had saved in my phone. I can go out to the garage and find the invoice if these don't work:

(704) 798-0415

(704) 637-3675

djvx
03/08/2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks for posting

circmand
03/27/2015, 09:26 AM
I just got an email on my Advance Auto rewards card that starting April 1st Rancho is running a $120 rebate on a set of 4 shocks. Good deal for those needing a set of shocks.

siemprelisto
03/27/2015, 09:59 AM
Thank You for the Heads Up...