PDA

View Full Version : New Kid! Intro and Questions

ShadowRider
07/12/2003, 05:44 AM
Hey everybody! I've been lurking around as a guest for the past half a yr or so...finally joined today! I live next to San Francisco, where VXs are rare, although I do see a couple now and then...are you guys on here? I see a Proton and an Ebony around sometimes. That's probably what started my love for the VX in the first place, when I had my first sighting of the Ebony around the city a few years back at an In-N-Out.
Well, thanks for having me. I'm #556!, can you believe it?!! I purchased an Astral Silver in April, and loving it! Already put over 4000 miles on it...and I have a second car too!
Well, as veterans, some of you may be able to advise me on some of my concerns. First and foremost, the previous owner treated the car pretty roughly...I didn't really notice it when I first bought it (too excited to pay attention to details). The exterior is fine, but the interior is pretty worn out. Does anybody know how to fix the following?: Scratches and scuffs on interior plastic, scuffs on the carbon fiber material; scuffs on the exterior side body molding; torn leather.
I'm not much of an off-roader myself, and have no clue how to fix these things. Any advice is appreciated! Also, does anyone know how to clean the bottom of the car of stuck-on mud? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Shadowrider

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 09:57 AM
Welcome! :-) The more the merrier.

For the leather, I'd look around for a good car upholstery shop. I hear they can work wonders. Then get some seat covers on it. May not look as cool, but when you want to show it off more they come off, and it will keep the original seats looking cool for a whole lot longer. Wet Okole (see another post I made last night for link) makes some really stand-out ones, but they are expensive.

For scuffs on plastic, get a high quality plastic polish like Meguiar's. I just had mine off-raoding a couple of weeks ago and had just a few minor battle scars on the plastic part of one of the side mirrors. Polish took it right out. This also vastly improved the look of my headlights, which were a little scuffed-looking when I got it.

For mud... well, I'm still getting rid of it from two weeks ago. You may never get it all. Get up under it, use lots and lots of water and a good scrub brush. Use a high pressure stream where it is safe to do so, but be careful around sensitive electrical parts and use a low pressure stream when necessary. Don't blast the front grill area with a strong stream of water - you may bend the radiator fins. Don't get anything wet that you shouldn't, like the alternator (which is mounted low), for example. Took mine through some mud pits and learned that one. :-) Especially make sure to get mud rinsed out of the brake components real good. Mud is fun, but the cleanup afterward may never end. I thing I've got it out of my system now. :-)

IsuZOOM
07/12/2003, 10:25 AM
Welcome and I'm glad you found your way to this site! I agree - for the interior leather, check your yellow pages for some upholstery shops.

xdfarrx
07/12/2003, 12:31 PM
Yo shadowrider-
VX!!-solid. Vx is perfect car for the bay/city. I live in Tahoe in the winter. we don't need to offroad cause the roads we rally are already off road, between s$%#@y roads and snow. You should consider the following. Air intake (better power and fuel economy), exhaust (same results as intake, but more), urethane that Monchavx was sellin (really nice 45$ if still around and can install yourself), and flip your fluids to synthetics (diffs, tranny, and transfer case, engine), I run Mobil 1 (0w-30). All the above will cost you about 700-800$, but without a question is worth it. The exhaust I had custom made was 240$, some people like the Powervault kit, but I opted for larger size catback outtake, and a sebring exhaust, and the intake calmini sells(200$?) or you can make yourself for way less(K&N cone filter is @ 45). If cash is an issue atleast you should flip your fluids- Find a good lube place that has a tranny oil exchanger. I noticed a big difference in my ride when i did this originally. Rock synthetic they are worth it- Lot of passionate people in this forum- wealth of info. Any questions look in the search. or holler out and someone is bound to come at you with some knowledge-
peace

AnalogVX
07/12/2003, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the board!
I off-road alot and the mud just keeps coming. I put my VX on jackstands and remove the wheels and get in there with good stiff brushes of all sizes and lots of soap and water. Good time to check everything out and rotate tires too.

tomdietrying
07/13/2003, 06:32 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

Moncha
07/13/2003, 07:18 PM
Welcome!!!

ShadowRider
07/14/2003, 06:31 PM
Thank you for all your advice, everyone! You guys are great. My girfriend is commenting on how friendly and helpful all of you are! Ok, now for the big thing...I have DEEP scuffs on my bumper from backing into a stationary cement trash can in a gas station (I know...shame on me. I already cried and took my frustration out on the trash can...hurt my foot...) I should have visited this site more before I started driving it so much, maybe then I would've bought the Van Eyes earlier. Anyways, since that's too late, does anyone know whether there is something I can buy to "fill in" the scuffs? Or whether there's another way to fix it? Thanks again!

Shadowrider

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/14/2003, 06:44 PM
All of the cladding including the rear bumper is available from your local isuzu parts dealer. I hit a pheasant and shattered my turnsignal lens on the front end...ordered a new one at the dealer and thumbed through the parts book and saw the rear bumper and side cladding listed...I think the bumper was around $400. I removed my rear bumper to make it easier to install my trailer hitch. It was not hard to remove and reinstall...just a bunch of screws underneath and along the side under the side cladding.

Moncha
07/14/2003, 07:27 PM
Try St Charles Isuzu (http://www.vehicross.info/links.php?op=visit&lid=11) They generally ahve great prices and free shipping on everything.. Ask for Merlin and let hem know you are from this site...

isuzusales
07/15/2003, 05:48 PM
you can also call our parts department here at Crystal Isuzu...Our new Service Manager is Pat Goss of Motor Week TV fame and Goss' Garage on radio. He own's an Axiom and is a HUGE Isuzu fan! (not bad for an Isuzu sales manager:D )
Crystal Isuzu
(301)890-6100 or (301)577-9200
Silver Spring, Maryland

Moncha
07/15/2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by isuzusales
Our new Service Manager is Pat Goss of Motor Week TV fame and Goss' Garage on radio.

I love that guy!! He always show off the cool stuff... Tell him check in here.. I'd be great to have a celeb in the ranks!

How's your prices?

andy454
07/16/2003, 06:46 AM
Shadowrider
I too have some scratches on the inside plastic from hauling my deer stand around. I think I am going to try and have the line-x or something similar sprayed on it. I am even thinking about red to match the seats. Does anyone know how this would hold up on the inside plastic? Will it give some before cracking? Thanks

webdog
07/16/2003, 08:01 AM
I just bought a rear cladding panel from St Charles Isuzu for $271,
shipped fedex to my door in 3 days for free.:D Detailed instructions for installation located on Tones web site under trailer hitch installation.

ShadowRider
07/16/2003, 01:26 PM
Andy454,

What is line-x? Never heard of it before.

Webdog,
Thanks for the info. I'll probably get it once I get some moolah... Would you happen to know how much is their interior rear panel spare tire cover?

ShadowRider

webdog
07/16/2003, 06:44 PM
CALL 1-800-727-8066 for a quote. Ask for the internet discount.:D