PDA

View Full Version : Gas light~?

Luninox
12/09/2008, 08:47 AM
So who's actually run out of gas? It seems I've gone FOREVER with that little orange light staring me in the face.

How far do you have after the light comes on? (with mindful driving)

etlsport
12/09/2008, 08:48 AM
i usually estimate about 30 miles.. iirc the light is supposed to come on when you have 2 gallons of usable gas left.. so at 15mpg.. about 30 miles

nfpgasmask
12/09/2008, 08:54 AM
I've ran my tank down real low only twice, and both times the orange gas light never came on. And my indicator was well below the E line so go figure...

Bart

iamironman
12/09/2008, 09:37 AM
didn't realize I forgot my wallet($) till my light came on... and was 40+ miles from home... I made it home and then to the gas station 42.2 miles... and didn't run out of gas!!

etlsport
12/09/2008, 09:45 AM
didn't realize I forgot my wallet($) till my light came on... and was 40+ miles from home... I made it home and then to the gas station 42.2 miles... and didn't run out of gas!!

thats awesome.. i know my gas light comes on and goes off when i am in the 2-3 gallon range.. i have my scan gauge set up to act as a fuel gauge.. works fantastic.. my last fill up was just over 19 gallons.. the scan gauge was only off by 0.05 gallons!

LittleBeast
12/09/2008, 10:53 AM
While i had the entire dash out of the VX doing some mods on the lighting, I drove for a couple of days and since I didn't know how fast I was going or anything else for that matter I ran out of gas on a major highway here in Houston. lol

pbkid
12/09/2008, 12:48 PM
ya i've ran outta gas before...wasnt fun...ended up stopping about 300 feet downhill from the pumps and it was 4am so there was no one to help me push or pull....

ended up having to walk about 3 miles each way to the nearby gas station with no coat in the colorado snow....

i now go nowhere without a coat in my car....and a spare gallon of gas...

Pepino
12/09/2008, 02:06 PM
ya mine turns un when i have around 35 miles left, last time i ran out of gas, and everything turned off steering wheel got super hard to move and i got to the gas station just with the momentum i had, i filled it up and it was 21.5 gallons, dont know what happen to the other gallon, no dents in the tank or anything

VehiGAZ
12/09/2008, 04:14 PM
So who's actually run out of gas?

Not exactly out of gas but close - bucking and spitting for the 1.5 mile drive to the gas station. I've never driven so far under 2000 rpms! The light seems to come on when I have about 25-30 miles left.

I ran out of gas in my 928 about a month ago, but all of 150 yds from a gas station with a loaner can, so not so bad. The manual said that the tank is 23.9 gallons, 2.1 gallons of which was reserve. I figured that meant even when my range was down to zero, I still had a reserve of about 2 gallons left. Reasonable guess, but unfortunately WRONG! When it says you have zero range, it means it! "Reserve" must mean something else in German.

I've coasted into a gas station before - long time ago. I was trying to squeeze one more exit on a long road trip (a la Kramer) and ran dry on my way up the exit ramp of I-70 in Indiana somewhere. I threw it into neutral, coasted up the ramp, blew the stop sign, and just barely made it to the pumps. Whew!!!

Phantom
12/09/2008, 05:38 PM
I didn't even know the VX had a low gas light, mine has never come on, and Ive had it touching E a couple of times. Maybe I have a blown fuse lol. I don't want to temt fate and try to have it light up.

tom4bren
12/10/2008, 06:09 AM
It's been years since I ran out of gas & never in the VX. The light comes on but I've never pushed it.

Funny story tho. My office is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. One of my workmates stopped in one day to ask if I had a gas can & could run him up to the gas station. He could get about half way up the hill before it died.

Long story short - I told him to back up the hill. He made it, turned around at the top & drove 3 miles to the gas station.

etlsport
12/10/2008, 06:10 AM
It's been years since I ran out of gas & never in the VX. The light comes on but I've never pushed it.

Funny story tho. My office is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. One of my workmates stopped in one day to ask if I had a gas can & could run him up to the gas station. He could get about half way up the hill before it died.

Long story short - I told him to back up the hill. He made it, turned around at the top & drove 3 miles to the gas station.

haha.. wonder if that would work in the VX.. my gas light comes on when i have 7 gallons left if i am parked on a hill with the back end up

VehiGAZ
12/10/2008, 10:41 AM
haha.. wonder if that would work in the VX.. my gas light comes on when i have 7 gallons left if i am parked on a hill with the back end up

Depends on where the fuel line exits the tank. If it's toward the front, then the backing-up trick would work. If it's toward the back (where the sensor seems to be) then it won't. I think it's in the front though, because if you hit the gas hard with just a tiny bit of gas left, it seems to slosh to the back of the tank and I get bucking and spitting.

Riff Raff
12/18/2008, 08:41 PM
Hmmm. Why push fate??? I've run out of gas a couple of times in my life (in other types of cars), and the whole experience is downright humbling and embarrassing. It puts my abandoned vehicle at risk, and puts my personal safety at risk in trying to acquire gas. I don't want to ever run out of gas, ever again! Nowadays (in today's criminal society); when I get to 1/4 of a tank, I just go ahead and top-off with gas. My Dad (rest his soul) once told me a long (very long) time ago when I was 16 that: "You know, Son-- it costs just the same amount of money to keep your car full, as it does to keep it empty!"

Triathlete
12/18/2008, 09:24 PM
I have run out twice! Once close enough to coast into a gas station and once not so fortunate!:o