PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates and Hood Inserts

rowhard
12/08/2008, 07:12 PM
As some of you have read in the thread, Update on Accessories for your VX from Kuwait, I have purchased the molds for the Skid Plates from myamy22 in Kuwait. I think, or hope they arrived today (12/8/08) in New York. It will be a few weeks before I even see them since I and tysamigo, who had ordered a complete set of plates combining the order to share the shipping cost, which was shocking. It will be shipped to him first, then the molds will be forwarded onto me. And being the holiday season am sure it will be delayed even more.

I will be making these skid plates out of fiberglass, not plastic. I also plan on adding a faux carbon fiber hood insert at a later date.

Now, I am only just getting things organized and am in NO position to accept orders or requests yet. Also, I will not be accepting pre-orders or payments until I am ready to make your set. So if you have the money, put it in the bank and draw some interest.

I will be placing a thread under the miscellaneous section of the parts and accessories category at a later date with prices and instructions.

SilverBullet75
12/08/2008, 08:58 PM
Any estimate on timeframe?
Month, 2, 3, year?
:)
thanks!
Looking very forward to doing business with you.

rowhard
12/09/2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks silverbullet75, am hoping for just couple of months lead time.

rowhard
12/10/2008, 03:50 PM
I'm stoked. Tyler, (tysamigo) call me and said our package arrived at his place today from Kuwait. He will be sending me the molds in the next few days, then I can start playing.

Phantom
12/10/2008, 03:53 PM
saweet!

rowhard
12/11/2008, 04:57 AM
Just finish placing a order for I hope everything I will need, well, most everything to start the ball rolling. Would be nice to find a faux carbon fiber hood insert under the Christmas tree, Wait, I already have a real one thanks to newthings.

pbkid
12/11/2008, 11:37 AM
let me know if you get the carbon fiber hood going...

rowhard
12/11/2008, 05:03 PM
let me know if you get the carbon fiber hood going...

am planning on doing that right away, but it isn't carbon fiber, it is a black fiberglass that looks just like carbon fiber. CF is to hard to work with and 4 times as expensive.

OHVX'er
12/11/2008, 05:16 PM
Will they have the hoodscoop molded into them ?

rowhard
12/11/2008, 05:35 PM
Well, that might come later. Right now I just want to see if I can produce an acceptable insert.

rowhard
12/13/2008, 12:02 PM
Thought this might be a good time to upload a photo of the plates from Kuwait that tysamigo bought.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF1566.JPG

workmeistr
12/13/2008, 03:57 PM
Those look GREAT!:dance:

I'm still game for at least a front plate (raw), once you get the 'factory' up and running.

Are you planning to try a painted option, or will you be leaving that to the customer? (Proton is pretty distinctive and straight-forward, and might suggests an easier match than say, Foxfire, with just the right mix of metallic).

Either way, I still plan to get an un-painted one and have it painted locally, so as to hold them accountable for an acceptable match.

Thanks for this Christmas present, Rowhard. Keep us updated as to the pricing so we (I) can start saving our (my) pennies.:p

rowhard
12/13/2008, 05:56 PM
workmeistra, you warm the cockles of my heart. Soon my friend, very soon and the price will be very affordable. I will be able to do either primed or painted,.... but of course for a additional charge.

I am hoping to offer the hood inserts for around 300, the fronts for 275, the rears for 250 and the sides for 225 a pair. but that is a wag, but a very close wag, and a high wag at that.

kodiak
12/13/2008, 08:41 PM
Nice, I’ll be up for some side skids in about 3 months.

Gussie2000
12/14/2008, 07:23 AM
Hi roward i'm also interested in those skid plates.

Brian Drinks
12/14/2008, 12:45 PM
That sounds good,cant wait to see them or buy them

Gussie2000
12/14/2008, 01:05 PM
That sounds good,cant wait to see them or buy them

Hey brian are you up for the meeting next year around july ?

PA.NY.NJ.CT vx'ers are invited.

There's a thread for this planned meet;look for the tri-state meeting

pbkid
12/14/2008, 01:32 PM
Carbon fiber look would be fine with me. Would prefer a scoop but I suppose we will look at that later. My vote would be a 4runner style scoop. I think a scoop like that would match the curves of our car perfectly

iamironman
12/14/2008, 03:41 PM
Thought this might be a good time to upload a photo of the plates from Kuwait that tysamigo bought.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF1566.JPG

NO WAY!!! Those look CGI... AWESOME!!!

I want a hood insert with a scoop... what pbkid said... (EXCEPT I want primered cause I want to paint mine)
Carbon fiber look would be fine with me. Would prefer a scoop but I suppose we will look at that later. My vote would be a 4runner style scoop. I think a scoop like that would match the curves of our car perfectly

scoop... scoop... scOOP.... SCOOP... SCOOP... SCOOP!!!

--------------

Solitude
12/14/2008, 03:59 PM
AWESOME:eek:

Brian Drinks
12/16/2008, 09:35 PM
Hey brian are you up for the meeting next year around july ?

PA.NY.NJ.CT vx'ers are invited.

There's a thread for this planned meet;look for the tri-state meeting

Sound like a plan can't waint to meet keep me informed thanks.

WormGod
12/17/2008, 08:09 AM
Wow, totally missed this thread. Very cool. Keep us updated. Think I might be interested in sideskirts and rear plate. :)

Cheers!

nfpgasmask
12/17/2008, 08:33 AM
Those actually look pretty nice. I might even consider a front skid plate just so I can run without a front license plate. :)

Bart

TheGanzman
12/20/2008, 06:26 AM
I'm wetting myself in anticipation...:bgwo:

rowhard
12/22/2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I can breath a sigh of relief, I have the molds, (arrived today) and most of the supplies needed to start. Just missing a few items like the duratec primer and hi gloss gel coat additive. The molds are a bit rough, so will have to work them to gold plate them and make them glass smooth. Will then make a master set of plugs and molds to set aside. As far as the hood insert go, am working with a local supplier to source the mounting hardware. Want to duplicate the OEM mounting as close as I can since they have already done the engineering on it. Anyway, that is where it stands for now.:)

Bieredalsace
12/22/2008, 08:38 PM
You are doing an awesome favor for the club. Thank you
You have to "gold plate" the molds?
Please don't forget the hood fangs...unless I am the only person wanting them.
Have a nice Holiday!!

rowhard
12/23/2008, 03:03 AM
Sorry, gold plate is an expression we use to use in the Air Force when prepping the F-111 for alert duty, 'making it perfect'

rowhard
01/01/2009, 03:24 PM
Well, things are progressing nicely. I bought a little over 2 grand worth of supplies which have arrived. Have been getting the workshop sorted. Next week, since I have some time, will start getting some work surfaces sorted and mold holders, maybe even gold plate one or two of the molds.

Get'in close, get'in excited.

Really want to see what a faux carbon fiber skid plate looks like, maybe even one in a silver glitterflake like a bass boat if anyone wants a little bling :bwgy:

pbkid
01/01/2009, 04:00 PM
workmeistra, you warm the cockles of my heart. Soon my friend, very soon and the price will be very affordable. I will be able to do either primed or painted,.... but of course for a additional charge.

I am hoping to offer the hood inserts for around 300, the fronts for 275, the rears for 250 and the sides for 225 a pair. but that is a wag, but a very close wag, and a high wag at that.

this what you are still thinking for price??

rowhard
01/01/2009, 05:53 PM
this what you are still thinking for price??

Well, you know, that was ballparking. I hope I can do it for that if not less. My labor is cheap. Of course I will have to pass on the shipping and handling. It's a case of breaking down the cost of material per part, then figuring in some of Kentucky's finest as overhead and going from there. (Tysamigo can explain 'Kentucky's finest' to you if you don't understand). Hope to maybe be making parts within a month. Of course I have to deal with a flooding workshop about then. Washington, the evergreen state, cause it is all moldy from the friggen rain

pbkid
01/02/2009, 01:44 PM
sounds good....any hope on doing something like a 4runner hood scoop on the insert??

TheGanzman
01/02/2009, 04:04 PM
sounds good....any hope on doing something like a 4runner hood scoop on the insert??

Count ME in!:bwgy:

Baldwin
01/03/2009, 04:36 PM
Skid plates look great! I'm down for front and sides.

Baldwin
01/03/2009, 11:46 PM
Regarding the hood inserts, is the entire insert made of CF or has anyone simply put an adhesive over the original? I've seen some, but I wonder if the curve of the adhesive would be a problem. I'm sure the adhesive is faux CF though I think i saw a website that claimed it to be real.

rowhard
01/04/2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I un-packed the molds today since I now have my workshop in working order, can't say the same about me. For sure, they are going to need some work and TLC, they are rough. But that's okay since I still have some time off thanks to fine management where I work. Getting them perfect will be the easy, but time consuming part. Just a case of fill and sand, once they are right will lay a tooling gelcoat on them so I can produce a master set of plugs, then a master set of molds from the new master plugs. As far as the hood insert, still haven't been able to source the mounting hardware. Have a local hardware provider working on that, but no news in 2 weeks. If anyone out there can help me with this, it would be greatly appricated.:)

pbkid
01/04/2009, 06:28 PM
well would it just be a matter of ordering a fiberglass or plastic insert and then create a mold of it as part of the cladding??

Quan. Part # Description Price
(1) 76181-35901 (Hood Scoop Insert) $82.09
(1) 76182-35020 (Guide) $ 9.77
(1) 76192-35010 (Plate) $ 9.49
(2) 90269-04054 (Rivet) $ .43 (x2 = $ .86)
(4) 75567-21030 (Protector) $ .77 (x4 = $3.08)
(1) 90167-45005 (Screw) $ .52
(1) 76187-35010 (Retainer) $ .64
(4) 76183-12030 (Protector) $ .52 (x4 = $2.08)
(2) 76184-12020 (Protector) $ .52 (x2 = $1.04)
(1) 76185-35010 (Protector) $ 5.04

is something like that helpful?? these are part numbers from toyota
got it from here-
http://www.yotatech.com/f12/wtb-4runner-hood-scoop-insert-96001/

let me know if that helps at all...

CrzyFool
02/06/2009, 01:45 AM
I'll help finance the hood scoop project, let me know.

Marlin
02/08/2009, 04:46 AM
I'll help finance the hood scoop project, let me know.

I would be too, I would rather have a functional molded hood insert vice cutting a hole in my insert, but that is on my list before I go to Moab, the engine bay of the Vx is incredibly hot compared to other vehicles. I would rather have the rear facing scoop, to avoid pushing all kinds of junk into the engine bay. A little screen can only stop so much, I am more interested in letting hot air out than pushing cooler air in. My intake temperature is ridiculous, 20-30 degrees higher than ambient. My expedition is within 3-4 degrees of ambient. (per scan gage) The skid plates look sweet, but certainly not functional as any kind of trail protection?

pbkid
02/08/2009, 10:37 AM
I would be too, I would rather have a functional molded hood insert vice cutting a hole in my insert, but that is on my list before I go to Moab, the engine bay of the Vx is incredibly hot compared to other vehicles. I would rather have the rear facing scoop, to avoid pushing all kinds of junk into the engine bay. A little screen can only stop so much, I am more interested in letting hot air out than pushing cooler air in. My intake temperature is ridiculous, 20-30 degrees higher than ambient. My expedition is within 3-4 degrees of ambient. (per scan gage) The skid plates look sweet, but certainly not functional as any kind of trail protection?

no protection from the plates, they are made of fiberglass...

tomdietrying takes his off in moab every year and leaves them in his tent till he goes to drive home...then he bolts them back on...that way he doesnt screw em up and he can have the look all around the year except for that week in moab...

thats what im planning on doing with them..

rowhard
02/08/2009, 05:48 PM
Well, after today, I can understand why Ron said,... you know what. It ain't worth it.

workmeistr
02/08/2009, 05:58 PM
Uh oh...

Is everything okey dokey? Hang in there, rowhard. You'll be a legend among men if you pull this off. Is there anything we can do to help? Take care, Bren.

rowhard
02/08/2009, 06:08 PM
Bren, thanks, no, it is a learning process. It is becoming labor intense. I can see me only producing one front skid plate a week,... I hope. The tooling gel coat I sprayed is harder then woodpecker lips , and that is on a positive, I can't even imagine what a negative, i.e.; mold is going to be like, and that was a rear which is simple. Just feeling frustrated right now

Ldub
02/08/2009, 11:33 PM
Well, after today, I can understand why Ron said,... you know what. It ain't worth it.

Bren, thanks, no, it is a learning process. It is becoming labor intense. I can see me only producing one front skid plate a week,... I hope. The tooling gel coat I sprayed is harder then woodpecker lips , and that is on a positive, I can't even imagine what a negative, i.e.; mold is going to be like, and that was a rear which is simple. Just feeling frustrated right now

"Harder than woodpecker lips"???...:laughgray

That's funny, right there...:rolleyesg

At least you still have your sense of humor.

Keep the faith Row...with experience, comes ease & grace...:smilewink

vt_maverick
02/09/2009, 06:47 AM
Well maybe I'll get flamed for saying this since we're all anxiously waiting, but take a week or two off. The best thing you can do when you're getting frustrated is just to walk away for awhile and then come back. You might even have a better idea in the meantime.

Best of luck and definitely let everyone know how we can help.

rowhard
02/14/2009, 12:15 PM
Thought I would share a photo of my first front reject.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/first_reject.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12935)

But am gett'in close so get your money ready

tomdietrying
02/14/2009, 02:41 PM
That first reject looks pretty good.

I'm wondering how hard would it be to get that reject, make a mold, pour metal into the mold, and have a metal skid plate made?

I've got a front skid plate, but I wouldn't mind having one made out of metal. That way when I'm offroading I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Just a thought.

Peace.
Tom

rowhard
02/14/2009, 03:58 PM
well above my pay grade to figure out how to do it but am sure it is possible in the world of everything is possible

SilverBullet75
02/14/2009, 05:07 PM
LOL...how much for the reject!?

rowhard
02/14/2009, 06:08 PM
LOL...how much for the reject!?

Wouldn't give it to my best friend or sell it to my worst enemy. Just put it out there so all can see that I am still plugging away. I'm second generation Prussian and a Virgo to boot, need I say anymore. Am sure I will never produce anything that is acceptable to me, just hope that my VX family will be happy and patient.:)

don moore
02/14/2009, 06:20 PM
ill take the rejects.. hell ill drive up to get them ..i would love to have them..:confused:

rowhard
02/25/2009, 04:15 PM
:bwgy:Okay, am ready to supply rear skidplates for those of you that have a front only. Fronts are only a week or so away. I have posted a order letter under 'Parts and Accessories'. Hopefully Moncha will have a chance to review it soon so it will be accessible to everyone.

Moncha
02/25/2009, 05:00 PM
Done, go for it

rowhard
02/25/2009, 05:20 PM
Done, go for it

Thanks Scott

Osteomata
02/25/2009, 05:27 PM
I have no visualization skills. I need to see pics of these things on a VX, and I found lots of picks of the front skid, but I am not seeing pics of the side and rear skids installed. Can someone link such pics? Especially one with a high contrast such as the proton color.

- Os I have decided that I shall be known as Os. But Jack is OK too.

rowhard
02/25/2009, 05:47 PM
I have no visualization skills. I need to see pics of these things on a VX, and I found lots of picks of the front skid, but I am not seeing pics of the side and rear skids installed. Can someone link such pics? Especially one with a high contrast such as the proton color.

Well, not a high contrast, but I found this one. http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10195

snowtrooper1966
02/25/2009, 09:45 PM
I'm wondering how hard would it be to get that reject, make a mold, pour metal into the mold, and have a metal skid plate made?
Just a thought.
Peace.
Tom

I like the way you are thinking!!!!!!
Best,

Ldub
02/25/2009, 09:58 PM

Here's another look...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01665.JPG

Mrmonk7663
09/17/2009, 12:19 AM
Whats the word on these skid plates and the hood inserts? What was the final price and are all parts available? Sorry if I missed a thread that has all this info and i'm digging up old stuff.

Ldub
09/17/2009, 04:00 AM
Whats the word on these skid plates and the hood inserts? What was the final price and are all parts available? Sorry if I missed a thread that has all this info and i'm digging up old stuff.

From the "accessories" menu, left sidebar...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Classified&file=viewarticle&id=31

vt_maverick
09/17/2009, 02:22 PM
Isn't the rear skid plate not in production yet?

crotchrocket
09/17/2009, 03:02 PM
Here's another look...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01665.JPG

Looks awesome, but i'd need one in metal for sure. Scraped the hell out of the lower part of my rear bumper the last time i went off road, got into a seriously tight bomb hole :D

Ldub
09/17/2009, 10:25 PM
Isn't the rear skid plate not in production yet?

I believe that to be true, so far, John is only producing the fronts.

For clarification, the rear that I posted a pic of, is one of Rons that I got from Beej.

Sprey
09/17/2009, 10:46 PM
Just imagine the back of Ldubs Vx running you over :O :O

My hood inserts off at the mo and is in the process of being stripped down and repainted ( what a job :madb:)

Then once painted a decal will be added to it ( possibly ) Kinda for the lolside of it :D
Decal it self is a secret until im done :D

LittleBeast
09/18/2009, 12:32 PM
What about the side ones? I like those the best :(

Baldwin
10/23/2009, 09:58 AM
Is anyone still making these skid plates?

vt_maverick
10/23/2009, 11:03 AM
Look on the home page, bottom left, for rowhard's skid plate ad. It has the email address, prices, etc. for you to place an order.

Osteomata
10/23/2009, 06:08 PM
He doesn't seem to be responding to my email though...

rowhard
10/23/2009, 06:33 PM
He doesn't seem to be responding to my email though...

email sent

vt_maverick
10/24/2009, 05:26 AM
Did you see my email?

Ldub
10/24/2009, 06:34 AM
Did you see my email?

Do you remember where you left it?...:confused:...:laughing:

Osteomata
10/24/2009, 08:56 AM
email sent

Got it, responded, thanks!

rowhard
10/24/2009, 10:46 AM
still didn't get a response here. Guess I have you blocked. Are you using the same email address that is listed here? If not, send a pm, that will get thru no problem

vt_maverick
10/24/2009, 02:42 PM
Do you remember where you left it?...:confused:...:laughing:

:p

What does a guy have to do to get noticed?

Ldub
10/24/2009, 11:00 PM
:p

What does a guy have to do to get noticed?

LoL...ever tried putting gloves on your feets?...:laughing:

rowhard
10/31/2009, 03:07 PM

Just sent you a email, am ready to paint yours. But just in case, PM me since not sure if your emails are getting thru yet

mrtew
11/01/2009, 05:50 AM
Are you going to make the hood inserts still? Or are there any other available?

rowhard
11/01/2009, 07:49 AM
Good Question. Everything has been back burnered and am only now re-starting the front plates, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Are you in need of a replacement or something?

WormGod
11/03/2009, 07:22 AM
Only working on fronts? Sure would like raw (unpainted) side skirts and a rear diffuser. ;)

ViXen
12/03/2009, 09:13 PM
Bumping this post to see if there is any status on progress??

Ldub
01/10/2010, 12:52 AM
As far as the hood insert, still haven't been able to source the mounting hardware. Have a local hardware provider working on that, but no news in 2 weeks. If anyone out there can help me with this, it would be greatly appricated.:)

Hey John...look what I found...:smilewink

Don't know if they come in different lengths or sizes, but it might be a starting point.

Maybe could be used in conjunction with a coupler nut & threaded rod?

http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=21

Ldub
01/11/2010, 01:58 AM
Finally was able to find just what you were looking for John...:dance:

Adhesives & everything...:thumbup:

http://www.weldmountsystem.com/parts.htm

Scroll down...enjoy!

don moore
01/16/2010, 11:39 PM
good find .