PDA

View Full Version : I don't care what you say...

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 10:59 AM
...my VX runs better on Premium.

Bart

pbkid
12/08/2008, 11:04 AM
^^^^^second that....i dont ever use anything less than premium...

Triathlete
12/08/2008, 11:06 AM
I run better on CarboPro:rotate::rotate::rotate:

Chopper
12/08/2008, 11:11 AM

Bart Mine's never known anything else. I don't want the knock sensors to work....I'll trust they are there. We generally don't store race fuel either...at the end of the day, in the VX or the Lightning truck it goes. I wouldn't run straight 110 or even 107, but 6 or 7 gallons of 110 ( Sunoco) mixed into 10 or 15 gallons of Sunoco 93, won't hurt anything.

LittleBeast
12/08/2008, 11:24 AM

Bart

me too!!!!!!!!!!

and I get better gas mileage with the Power Button "off", so sue me :)

iamironman
12/08/2008, 11:30 AM
Mine's never known anything else. I don't want the knock sensors to work....I'll trust they are there. We generally don't store race fuel either...at the end of the day, in the VX or the Lightning truck it goes. I wouldn't run straight 110 or even 107, but 6 or 7 gallons of 110 ( Sunoco) mixed into 10 or 15 gallons of Sunoco 93, won't hurt anything.

Since you're not using your knocker sensors................. can I have them??

:bgwo::bgwg::bgwb::bwgy:

tom4bren
12/08/2008, 11:31 AM
I've never had any trouble running regular in any of my vehicles.

But ... if y'all like pissing money - go fer it:)

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 11:32 AM
me too!!!!!!!!!!

and I get better gas mileage with the Power Button "off", so sue me :)

Yeah, I never understood how people get better gas mileage with the POWER button on. I mean, if I am climbing a hill and going a little slow, I hit the power button and off I go, RPMs increase and so does speed, without pushing my foot down a bit more. So how could faster speeds and higher RPMs possibly yield better gas mileage???? :confused:

Bafrt

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 11:44 AM
I've never had any trouble running regular in any of my vehicles.

But ... if y'all like pissing money - go fer it:)

It's not "trouble", I've never had issues running on regular either. Its just way better with premium. Starting up is better, idle is better, and pick up is WAY better. You should give it a try. :)

Bart

Chopper
12/08/2008, 11:54 AM
If you don't change your driving stlye, the power button does nothing...milage won't change. It's simply a different tranny program, that holds a gear till almost redline, when the throttle is held at 75% WOT or better...on a hill, again, with your foot in it a bit, it will kick down a gear a bit sooner. Since our thrashy ol Isuzu 6 runns out of breath long before redline, it really only helps to about 4500 rpm....the last couple thousand rpm is all clatter, and agricultural noise. My power button is always down, and I'm getting 18-20mpg combined. I rarely (almost never) go over 3/4 throttle.

WormGod
12/08/2008, 12:11 PM
Have a S/C so I don't really know what the difference is anymore with less than Premium. Been too long for me to remember a difference. :cool:

LittleBeast
12/08/2008, 12:45 PM
If you don't change your driving stlye, the power button does nothing...milage won't change. It's simply a different tranny program, that holds a gear till almost redline, when the throttle is held at 75% WOT or better...on a hill, again, with your foot in it a bit, it will kick down a gear a bit sooner. Since our thrashy ol Isuzu 6 runns out of breath long before redline, it really only helps to about 4500 rpm....the last couple thousand rpm is all clatter, and agricultural noise. My power button is always down, and I'm getting 18-20mpg combined. I rarely (almost never) go over 3/4 throttle.

I go full throttle just going down the street, and having the power button "on" kills my mileage on the highway. Especially on road trips, if my power button is "on" the power mode keeps my VX from shifting to Over Drive (4th) all the time, especially when using cruise control. Sometimes when I am in cruise control and the power button is "on" going around 70 or so, the VX stays in 3rd, but if I push the power button to "off" it immediately shifts into 4th (overdrive).

pbkid
12/08/2008, 12:51 PM
i WONT turn my power button on.... ive tried it before and it did not increase milage with my driving style...

also, i believe with our motors seeming to have a tendency to blow i dont think its good to rev them that high...

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 01:51 PM

I also think the terrain makes a big difference. You are driving in a board flat state, where out here my daily commute takes me up and down some long stretches of mountain. The only thing I have been able to do to increase my gas mileage is to remove my roof rack and spare from up top. All that drag is no good.

Bart

Gussie2000
12/08/2008, 05:13 PM
Yes,i think i most had discuss this matter with many people.

Our VX's came equipped to run on 87,ok that's fine & for the 1srt three months i use 87 & i didn't like the way how the engine performed at all.

And since i began to use 93 my engine runs smoothly,the knocking that my VX had from day 1 is much less louder,plus the mileage is way more then with 87 so my advice : USE 93 at all times or at least as much as you can afforded.

Another key in the puzzle is the way you drive,that guys have a lot to do with the mileage you can run for each gallon of fuel you use.
I personally don't press deep the gas pedal to move foward,plus the acceleration our VX's comes with is enough to move fast the almost 3000 pounds the VX weights.
My secret : press the gas pedal little by little,the VX begins to gain speed & in 7 seconds the VX is moving at 30 mph; What more you want ?

Since the engine comes with the variable valve timming feature which means that the engine would use only the amount of power demanded by the throttle & save fuel for when the driver demands more power.

Again,use 93 as much as you can afford,plus the 93 is a cleaner fuel & produce less polution because it burns slower then the 87,the fuel lines remains much cleaner & all related components.
Add twice a month a fuel injection cleaner & you'll feel the difference with the engine.

This is just my two cents quote

VCrossfan
12/08/2008, 05:25 PM

Bart

I drive about 250 miles each week and 90% is interstate and I hate to waste Higher $$ fuel there, but since gas prices are way down I think I'll run a tank of the good stuff. I do get "Pinging" with low and mid grade...Thanks for reminding me Bart..

nfpgasmask
12/08/2008, 05:41 PM
Another key in the puzzle is the way you drive,that guys have a lot to do with the mileage you can run for each gallon of fuel you use.
I personally don't press deep the gas pedal to move foward,plus the acceleration our VX's comes with is enough to move fast the almost 3000 pounds the VX weights.
My secret : press the gas pedal little by little,the VX begins to gain speed & in 7 seconds the VX is moving at 30 mph; What more you want ?
This is just my two cents quote

Again, I would say it definitely depends on the circumstances. First of all, if you are not lifted and you live in a state that has barely any inclined roads, the VX's get-up-and-go power is certainly sufficient. I DO remember living in flat Illinois with a stock VX and being able to haul tail all over the place. But now, lifted, with bigger tires, a roof rack catching hella wind, and a 45° incline on the highway for 7 miles, it's tough to get my VX over 60mph sometimes without flooring it. Hell, loaded down with camping gear on the way to Moab into the wind I couldn't get over 45mph up hill at one point, even in POWER mode. So yeah, there are times out here where you have to push the skinny pedal a lot farther down to get the speed you want going up hill...but uphill burns gas, and that much I know!!

Bart

pbkid
12/08/2008, 10:00 PM
Again, I would say it definitely depends on the circumstances. First of all, if you are not lifted and you live in a state that has barely any inclined roads, the VX's get-up-and-go power is certainly sufficient. I DO remember living in flat Illinois with a stock VX and being able to haul tail all over the place. But now, lifted, with bigger tires, a roof rack catching hella wind, and a 45° incline on the highway for 7 miles, it's tough to get my VX over 60mph sometimes without flooring it. Hell, loaded down with camping gear on the way to Moab into the wind I couldn't get over 45mph up hill at one point, even in POWER mode. So yeah, there are times out here where you have to push the skinny pedal a lot farther down to get the speed you want going up hill...but uphill burns gas, and that much I know!!

Bart

yup bart....try living in colorado its really hilly...

secondly i go snowboarding 2 days a week at minimum so i need the extra power to get up and down the pass

tom4bren
12/09/2008, 09:52 AM
"It's not "trouble", I've never had issues running on regular either. Its just way better with premium. Starting up is better, idle is better, and pick up is WAY better. You should give it a try."

That & an electric fan conversion - I may never have to fill up again:)

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/09/2008, 10:41 AM
entering 9 years of ownership...I ran premium up until my trip to Moab last May. I was "forced" to run lower octane because some of the stations didn't offer anything over 87.

Now thats ALL I run as long as I'm not going to be doing any "aggressive" driving. If I was to run an autocross or something I'd play it safe & fill up with premium for the sake of being supercharged...if I was stock I'd NEVER run premium again.

Maybe my driving style, terrain, or VX's personal taste is different than most???? Maybe the regular in my area is better than most??? But, I've never heard a knock or ping whether I run regular or premium and I swear mine gets worse gas mileage when I run Premium.

Since I changed my fuel pressure regulator years ago, mine starts at the touch of the key whether its cold or warmed up irregardless of regular or premium.

I used to be one of you guys when it concerned this topic. No Longer.

My truck with 5.2L V8 & real duals (Magnaflow's) & Headers (Gibson) with chrome "carburator" style 360 deg. open air filter just started pinging on regular the other day.....the cause....tiny (pinhole) vaccuum leak on cruise control hose. If my cruise control hadn't quit working I'd never have found it. Replaced hose & no pinging what so ever floored going up steep hill with regular in tank.

Do whatever works for you...me...I'm running regular unless something changes.

VehiGAZ
12/09/2008, 11:30 AM
Since our thrashy ol Isuzu 6 runns out of breath long before redline, it really only helps to about 4500 rpm....the last couple thousand rpm is all clatter, and agricultural noise.

That's true for the stock VX, but a supercharged VX has much longer legs, with almost all of the improvement above 4000 rpms. Plenty of reason to run in Power Mode if you have an S/C!

That said, I haven't noticed much of a difference between how it performs on premium vs. regular. I'll try switching back and forth a couple of times this winter...

Scott Harness
12/09/2008, 11:43 AM
I'm stock,but I'll play with a few tanks while gas is so cheap.I think OPEC is about to cut production.:mad:

mdwyer
12/09/2008, 05:19 PM
I was "forced" to run lower octane because some of the stations didn't offer anything over 87.

The story goes that you don't need the octane rating at altitude. Throughout most of Colorado you can't get 93 proof. The pumps here have 82/85/91.

The VX doesn't seem to mind what I put in it, but the Subaru throws check-engine lights if I put cheap stuff in -- it claims the catalytic converter isn't working.

In any case, the price of gas has gone down so much that I'm willing to splurge again. :) It feels really strange to refill the car for less than $20 again...

iamironman
12/09/2008, 08:58 PM
I'm stock,but I'll play with a few tanks while gas is so cheap.I think OPEC is about to cut production.:mad:

Yup... December 17th... might cut it by 1 1/2 -2 1/2 million barrels a day... suposed to up oil to $65-$75 a barrel... I don't think it will... I think we're headed to $30 a barrel till early spring then it will start going up... we shall see...

:confused:

VehiGAZ
12/10/2008, 10:38 AM
suposed to up oil to $65-$75 a barrel... I don't think it will...

Me neither - I think the slump in the global economy will do more to reduce prices than cutting the supply. If OPEC tries to push the prices up, demand will drop even more...

circmand
12/10/2008, 12:51 PM
My VX is running better on H2O:bgwg::bgwb::smilewink:bwgy::smilewink:bgwb: