PDA

View Full Version : Awesome seat covers

Heraclid
07/11/2003, 08:46 PM
They were brought up once before, but has anyone here actually installed the Wet Okole seat covers? Pricey, but they look really great.

http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOH&Product_Code=VEHICROSS&Category_Code=ISUZU

zadam123
07/12/2003, 02:16 PM
I had those on my old amigo and had them on my vette too. on cloath seats there awesome and look increadible but on leather i wasn't to happy, they kept moving around so not sure if i would do to the vx.

Just my opinion

adam

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your input. Hey, I have a pair of cheap ones already - maybe if I put the Wet Okole ones over top of those they wouldn't move much?

paultvx
07/12/2003, 02:37 PM
Looking at the stock Recaros I don't think the Wet Okole covers would move around too much. It's contoured enough and the pictures look like they fit very snug. No excess slack etc. It should be fine.

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 02:56 PM
And I would think they'd make them just a little small so the neoprene material would stretch to provide a snug fit. They certainly LOOK fine in the pics. Hmmm. Although the covers I have already don't fit too great because our Recaros ARE so contoured.

WyrreJ
07/12/2003, 03:15 PM
I always thought this company was cool. Didn't see it explained on their website, so in case you were wondering "okole" is hawaiian (maybe just hawaiian pidgin) for "butt." It is pronounced oh-koh-lay with emphasis on the "oh."

paultvx
07/12/2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
And I would think they'd make them just a little small so the neoprene material would stretch to provide a snug fit. They certainly LOOK fine in the pics. Hmmm. Although the covers I have already don't fit too great because our Recaros ARE so contoured.

I doubt the covers you have already were taylor made specifically to the VX... which explains the fit.

Moncha
07/13/2003, 07:42 PM
Todd Greene (AKA- Headblade (http://www.headblade.com) HAs Wet Okole's installed and they look great! I can't find the pics but I know they are around some where. They have a pattern thatthey made for his so they would be a perfect fit.

Heraclid
07/13/2003, 07:57 PM
paultvx,
Yeah, I just picked up some with a print I liked from Wal-Mart. They'll do, but a perfect fit would look a lot sharper.

WyrreJ,
I was wondering about that and had a feeling it was something like that, but had not gotten around to researching it yet. Thanks! Odd name.

Moncha,
I'll see what I can dig up - I know the ones on their website look sharp. I'd probably try to get ones that most closely matched our Martian Red Rock interiors. I tried to request swatches but was having problems with the website. Guess I'll have to make a phone call.

BTW, here are a couple of links I found on the subject...

http://www.off-road.com/isuzu/inside_armor.html

http://www.autoaccessoriesrusfl.com/neoprene.htm

Medic
07/13/2003, 08:28 PM
I agree, the Okole covers look great, but I was disappointed with the functionality of them on my CJ-7. They're nice in the winter, and keep that frozen butt thing to a minimum, but they're terrible in the summer. They don't breath very well, and contribute to swamp butt on longer trips in warm weather. Also, if you don't wash them regularly, they tend to develop an odor, and not a terribly pleasant one. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I just wanted to throw my $.02 worth in. I haven't had them on my VX, so I could be wrong.

Heraclid
07/13/2003, 08:41 PM
Hey, all info is greatly appreciated, good or bad. Interesting that they would cause that on long warm weather trips and be made by a company called Wet Okole. Truth in advertising?

Don't make too many long trips, would consider the seat preservation a good trade-off, and a wash every now and then is no problem. The thing I'm wondering now is this - I've seen people say how grippy they are and how well they stay in place, but also a few say they aren't. I think it's just a problem on leather, but of course that's what I have.
They certainly *appear* to fit very nicely as they are customized for the Vehicross, and most of what I can find says they have a good fastening strap setup.

Anita
07/14/2003, 01:26 PM
A little off the topic but should anyone reupholster their seats and are gonna discard the leather, I am looking to get the seat's leather piece(s) off one of the recaro back supports. Doesnt matter what interior color it may be.

Spike
07/14/2003, 01:53 PM
Back piece? the leather? or plastic?

paultvx
07/14/2003, 02:02 PM
OT... does the leather covering come off easily? and how?

I am wondering if it is possible to insert one of those inflatable lumbar deals in the seat under the leather. Probably not feasible... leather is probably too tight.

bliptrip
07/14/2003, 05:32 PM
I've had the Olole seat covers for about two years now and am very happy with them. Great fit, mud proof, and great looking. I got the same yellow & black covers that Todd (Headblade) uses. Everyone that sees the car for the first time thinks they are stock. As an added bonus, you get a much better butt grip than what leather gives, so you don't slide around as much when the road gets bumpy or twisty

They can get a little stinky if you don't keep 'em clean, but a professional steamcleaning will make them look and smell like new again.

Highly recommended!

SGT.BATGUANO
07/14/2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Medic
Also, if you don't wash them regularly, they tend to develop an odor, and not a terribly pleasant one.

Apparently, you haven't heard George Carlin regarding this phenomenon......... You have to remove the covers and SQUEEZE the old farts out of them!!!!!!;)

paultvx
07/14/2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by bliptrip
I've had the Olole seat covers for about two years now and am very happy with them. Great fit, mud proof, and great looking. I got the same yellow & black covers that Todd (Headblade) uses. Everyone that sees the car for the first time thinks they are stock. As an added bonus, you get a much better butt grip than what leather gives, so you don't slide around as much when the road gets bumpy or twisty

They can get a little stinky if you don't keep 'em clean, but a professional steamcleaning will make them look and smell like new again.

Highly recommended!

Dry clean?? That sounds a little too high maintenance for a item that's suppose simplify things.

bliptrip
07/15/2003, 10:14 AM
I get my VX professionally detailed about twice a year, and the carpets & seat covers get steam cleaned as part of the package. If that's too high maintenance, you can buy a special neoprene soap mix from Wet Okole and do a quick scrub down whenever they get dirty or smelly. You'd probably spend less time cleaning the covers than treating and cleaning the leather seats on a regular basis.

-x-
07/15/2003, 10:32 AM
....some evil substance (stuff that takes the humidity out of the air) spilled on my seat and apparantly suck all the moisture and life out of a spot on my seat (hardend and stiffend). It appears to be sloooowly going away but i might be hallucinating.

Anyhow, any idea if theres any way to "re-hydrate" the leather or reverse the effects of the moisture being sucked out. Normal cleaner and conditioners havent had any noticable effect. But it appears to sloooowly be getting better as i mentioned....x

f.y.i. yes it was because i did not immediately clean it up :(

Anita
07/15/2003, 10:51 AM
-x-

I would continue with a conditioner or a heavy lanolin lotion but also to pour some on the spot and leave it overnight soaking if possible. Leather will with time and wear get more piable but you want to make sure it wont crack.

Spike
07/15/2003, 01:48 PM
X - "Eagle One" has a leather conditioner that is very high in lanolin content. The instructions on the bottle instruct you to work it into the leather surface with your hands, not a cloth. (The cloth will absorb it and waste it) Obviously, it is also very good for your hands.
I have not seen it at Pep Boy's in a while, but I did see it on a web site. I have used it in the past and it is really nice stuff.

Sgt Batguano - Carlin also did this little amusing clip:

The Fart Retrieval League is a noble organization devoted to the freeing of countless millions of farts trapped in cushions around the world. There is little the league can do to free the little buggers trapped in cushions in places like people's homes or cars. But members can do something about farts trapped in cushions in public places. Elite squads of Fart Commandos are working every day in hotel lobbies and on public transit jumping up and down on cushions to liberate trapped farts. Won't you join them in this humanitarian work? The next time you are on the train or in a hotel lobby jump up and down a few times, and FREE A FART!

Heraclid
07/15/2003, 03:15 PM
Ya know, it would be a better world if they truly were trapped and did not spread into the air for all to inhale.

WyrreJ
07/15/2003, 05:59 PM
Aeron office chairs are the FRL's #1 pick for the humane treatment of farts.

Spike
07/15/2003, 06:14 PM
Sure.. but not to the wallet!