PDA

View Full Version : Does a SC need break in time?

AlaskaVX
07/11/2003, 12:47 PM
When you add a SC to a 47,000 mile engine do you need to break it in slow/hard or anything? how many miles to break it in? What type of driving is the best to break it in with? I have never done major engine mods and have no clue if it even really needs to be broken in.

Thanx in advance,
Alan

Green Dragon
07/11/2003, 02:57 PM
Can't say about a 47K engine. I broke my SC in at 10K & have never taken my foot off the pedal. I guess that why I bought it!

Bob

AlaskaVX
07/11/2003, 02:58 PM
So you actually do have to break it in, or just drive normally? In other words can I floor it? I want to go race at the drag strip this next weekend, is a week enough to get it broken in? I will be making a long trip in the mean time.

psychos2
07/11/2003, 03:13 PM
this is what we do at work to break them in !!! go to this link and click on were it says "ONE KICK *** MOTOR"
http://www.perfmar.com/ shawn

Zu4two
07/11/2003, 08:30 PM
I don't think you have to "break in" your SC, though the computer will probably take a few hundred miles to adapt to all the extra air you're ramming into the engine.

A few things you should do?
-Make sure you run all the regular gas out of the tank and fill it with Hi-test.
-Make sure you change your oil at the 3K intervals, since the SC's going to make your engine run hotter.
-Make sure there aren't any cops sitting at the red light with you when you floor it on the green.
-Check the tightness of the SC belt after a few hundred miles, since it will stretch and there is no automatic tensioner.
-Don't sweat the "high mileage" on your motor, mine is still running good and strong at 87K.

Have fun with the new found power and drive safe!

paultvx
07/12/2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Zu4two

-Make sure you run all the regular gas out of the tank and fill it with Hi-test.

I do not see the reason for this. Yes, higher octane rating would help avoid predetonation and yield greater performance, but it is not required.

AlaskaVX
07/15/2003, 11:57 AM
Well thanx for the suggestions. I already run 92 octane and thats the highest you can find in Alaska unless you use some race gas. I always change my oil every 3,000 miles with fully synthetic so I am definately good there too. Will be sure to check the belt after my road trip to Soldotna this weekend. Can't really floor it on the green in town anymore, 1 more point on my liscense and I lose it. Thats the main reason I go to the track now, so I can get it out of my system once a week.

Thanx again
Alan

Dallas4u
07/15/2003, 12:56 PM
I ran premium for a bit, then noticed other SC owners on the boards were running regular and didn't see a difference. I decided to switch and haven't seen a noticable difference.

By the way, any word on when you get your SC'd VX back???

AlaskaVX
07/15/2003, 01:13 PM
supposedly today but the way things have been going... I don't know

AlaskaVX
07/15/2003, 03:14 PM
Just talked to Northern 4x4 and they said to cross my fingers, it might just be done today!:)