PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Steering Wheel

JimRori
11/30/2008, 01:21 PM
I have a '99 VX. It's in pretty good shape and I keep it clean. I noticed recently that the center part of the steering wheel has gotten sticky and it doesn't seem to be going away by itself. I am afraid I might have damaged the material while cleaning. Though I've cleaned it before without any problems. I live in Central FL and it does get hot here...

Anyone else have problems with the material after cleaning?

Thx.

PS: I also need to replace the part of the bumper that goes where a front license plate would go. Anyone with a front plate in there state got an extra hanging around?

iamironman
11/30/2008, 06:51 PM
They only give 2 plates in texas... no extra's :bwgr::bgwp::bgwo:

don moore
11/30/2008, 06:59 PM
They only give 2 plates in texas... no extra's

lol your bad..

WormGod
12/01/2008, 11:43 AM
Did you use some solvent on the plastic wheel that may have eaten it; softened it up? Strange that it would just get sticky for no reason other than spilling something on it. Might want to look at the container of the cleaner you used on it and see if it was plastic friendly.

As for the plate locale cover, those are a rare gem around here. Maybe more rare than the roof rails. MD has a front tag law so I have to keep my tag on, and I have the cover, but I am gonna hold onto it until someone offers me $1,000,000.01 for it. ;)

VX1032
12/01/2008, 11:50 AM
The front cover, hmmm, I put mine back on when I moved to PA. It immediately broke into a number of small fragmented pieces. I guess it didn't like sitting around the back of the VX for all those years in Jersey. Rubber got brittle and just fell apart with any pressure.

My steering wheel keeps getting sticky where my left thumb sits on teh side of the wheel. Only spot. I can safely assume it is grease/dirt buildup, but it always comes back.

4X4 UFO
12/01/2008, 11:54 AM
I ordered the "license plate mount cover" (I've forgotten the name Isuzu calls it) from Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu (636 441 4481) for about $25 or $30. He had it in stock about 6 months ago........

Randy

tom4bren
12/01/2008, 12:37 PM
"My steering wheel keeps getting sticky where my left thumb sits on teh side of the wheel."

"... sitting here with my thumb up my butt sounds better ..."

Shawshank Redemption

Sorry - that's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post:)

JimRori
12/05/2008, 04:40 AM
Did you use some solvent on the plastic wheel that may have eaten it; softened it up?

I use only Armorall products on the plastics. Nothing strange. I thought it might be some reaction to the FL heat and age...

Thanks, I'll try St. Charles Isuzu for the bumper part. Mine seemed to dry up and crack. I guess that's happened to others too.

Mark B
12/05/2008, 06:21 AM
My sterring wheel does the same thing.
I keep cleaning but it is still sticky on the left side.

WormGod
12/05/2008, 08:22 AM
I use Armor All on the center of the wheel, but use Meguire's leather cleaner and conditioner on the rest of it. Never had a sticky issue but I would get a weird gummy kind of grime thing going on. In the summer weather here, if it was hot and humid out and I drove with windows down, I would get that weird thing. The combo of humid heat and hand sweat make for a pretty nasty duo on leather. I found that just continuously cleaning with a leather cleaner and conditioner around the wheel will remedy this, or just drive with your A/C on so the wheel doesn't get soaked with the humid air, heh.

Similar sounding?

VX1032
12/05/2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, thats the stuff, though I don't drive with the windows down, so the outside air doesn't have anything to do with it. I notice it more the longer stints of driving it gets. Must be a sweat/grime thing. Steering wheel probably would have better with perforations to breath.