PDA

View Full Version : I'll miss you buddy :( My Bender passed away.

taylorRichie
11/30/2008, 11:54 AM
My 8 year old Doberman passed away on Thanksgiving night/ Friday morning.

Read about it here (http://richietaylor.com/)

I know there are a few Doberman owners on the site, and I highly highly recommend you research bloat. It's rare, but serious. Knowing the symptoms could very well save your dog's life. I wish I had even heard of it :(

A completely healthy dog can die within an hour. And it's widely debated what causes it. No one really knows.

VCrossfan
11/30/2008, 01:17 PM
WOW. Sorry about your loss.. And so quick..

http://sk1.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/a61d01e1c32d001e

kodiak
11/30/2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear that man, he was a cool dog and will be missed.:(

Scott Harness
11/30/2008, 04:06 PM
So sorry:( for your loss.Dogs are the Best

don moore
11/30/2008, 05:34 PM
dont know what to say...........they are mans best friend.

tomdietrying
11/30/2008, 05:45 PM
I remember you talking about your dog in Moab. You really loved him. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Peace.
Tom

VXIRONwoMAN
12/01/2008, 12:11 AM
I am so sorry about your loss. I know what it's like. You know you can always come here to chat if need be. He will truly be missed. I just replaced one lizard with two more... maybe you should do the same with your Dobie. You are in our thoughts tonight.

Chopper
12/01/2008, 05:42 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. For some of us, it's no different than losing a child or sibling. Two years ago, my six year old Wiemaranar (Cooper) bloated. This is very similar to a horse getting colic...a section of intestine twists, causing the blood flow to be cut off, and the gut begins to die. After some very expensive surgery, Cooper lived another miserable year and a half. He had a very hard time keeping food down, he was always starving....and lost quite a bit of weight. Ultimately, he had a stroke/seizure and passed. I don't think I would ever put anyone else thru the last 18 months of his life again. Large, deep chested dogs seem most suceptable. My other two Wiemies are getting very old now. No telling what caused Coop to bloat. Chopper is twice his size, and never had a problem. It's a really crappy way to go. My heart breaks for you man. But, you'll never forget him. At least you got to know him, and share some time together.

tom4bren
12/01/2008, 05:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a Dobie years ago. Her name was Sonnet (so graceful, watching her run was like reading poetry - hence her name). She was the best dog I ever had.

Tom

crager34
12/01/2008, 05:53 AM
Richie;

Sorry for your loss and thanks for the information. My dog is 6 now and is part Doberman (see gallery if, interested) and I will be looking into bloat.

Take care

Ldub
12/01/2008, 06:32 AM
I remember you talking about your dog in Moab. You really loved him. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Peace.
Tom

I am so sorry about your loss. I know what it's like. You know you can always come here to chat if need be. He will truly be missed. I just replaced one lizard with two more... maybe you should do the same with your Dobie. You are in our thoughts tonight.

I am so sorry for your loss. For some of us, it's no different than losing a child or sibling. My heart breaks for you man. But, you'll never forget him. At least you got to know him, and share some time together.

I can't say it any better...

Very sorry to hear of your loss Richie & Brittany.:sighwgray

taylorRichie
12/01/2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the support...

Can't say it's getting any easier yet... but at least I've stopped crying.

Chopper, I'm sorry you've experienced this as well. Most of my research has shown that if the bloat has progressed enough that surgery is required the dog has a slim chance of living a normal fulfilling life. I guess the best thing is to have a "Bloat Kit" on hand and at the first sign of bloat, act but I don't know how you'd be able to make the assumption.

Just sucks!

I've just been trying to spend as much time at my new Shop as possible, It's really coming along, I've put in the second level, and transferred all my tools. I'll edit my original post soon with images.

Thanks again everyone... It really does mean a lot.

WormGod
12/01/2008, 07:59 AM
So sorry for your loss. As another Dobie owner, I feel your loss to heart. Sadly, Bloat is one of those things that has a way of sneaking up on a dog. I guess, in a way, it loosely relates to us with appendicitis in that shrouded kind of way. Unknown, stealthy health issues are always !@#$ing scary. :(

BTW, I had some neighbors years ago who had their German Shepherd/Timberwolf mix (that's right, no joke.... thing was HUGE) diagnosed with bloat. The corrective surgery destroyed the poor dog. He actually only lived for about 1 year after the surgery due to a countless number of post operative issues. Mostly, he simply did not want to eat, ever again. It was like, once they cut him open and messed with his digestive system, he refused to use them again. Very sad really, but dogs have that strange intuition where they do NOT like to be fixed by unnatural means.

VehiGAZ
12/01/2008, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost two German Shepherds to bloat. It's a "terrible and swift sword" alright - one minute your dog is acting fine, the next there is clearly something wrong, and an hour or two later you're at the vet's saying goodbye. Devastating. May your sorrow be short-lived...

nfpgasmask
12/01/2008, 09:08 AM
Oh man, Richie, that sucks. I'm very sorry. I've been dealing with sick pets for the past week. I can't handle loosing another baby this year. We already lost our 9 year old cat last April and our other cat and dog were sick last week. Anyway, sorry to hear about this. I will be reading up on this "bloat" asap.

Bart

Moncha
12/01/2008, 10:37 AM
My total sympathies are with you. As I am without human children, my buddies are the closest thing. I am heartbroken for you..

pbkid
12/01/2008, 11:25 AM
wow, thats too bad man....a dog is a big loss...

Solitude
12/01/2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry for your Loss man, unexpected deaths are always a shock, I lost my boxer back in march, it was a while before the hurt went away,

Good thoughts sent your way

Jeff

Mark B
12/01/2008, 01:01 PM
Very sorry to hear. My deepest sympathy
My 2 dogs passes away a few years ago.
Hogan was 16 and I put her to Sleep. About 6 months after that I had to put Lucy to Sleep. She was 15. I still think about them every day and know what you are going through.
Mark

Gussie2000
12/01/2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the support...

Can't say it's getting any easier yet... but at least I've stopped crying.

Chopper, I'm sorry you've experienced this as well. Most of my research has shown that if the bloat has progressed enough that surgery is required the dog has a slim chance of living a normal fulfilling life. I guess the best thing is to have a "Bloat Kit" on hand and at the first sign of bloat, act but I don't know how you'd be able to make the assumption.

Just sucks!

I've just been trying to spend as much time at my new Shop as possible, It's really coming along, I've put in the second level, and transferred all my tools. I'll edit my original post soon with images.

Thanks again everyone... It really does mean a lot.

Oh man that's really sad,I know how it feels when your best friend is gone.

I had two loyal friends,female boxer named natty & an beautyfull spaniel named ron. :(
I love dogs & nothing can replace their loyalty & dedication. :o

Currently my best friend is an mini puddle named prince.

I hope you find an new friend soon,without forgetting the one who share all his live with you ! BLESS !

taylorRichie
12/01/2008, 07:10 PM
I genuinely thank all of you for taking the time to post... It really helps... Today was the first day back to work, and I stayed 3 hours late knowing that going home was going to be tough... And it is...

I can't figure out if it's better to find a new friend fast? or to mourn Bender for a while... Seems like having a new buddy to take care of would help making home life more normal, but I don't want to have guilt, as if I'm replacing Bender, cause he truly can not be replaced. :( I really just don't know.

Justin, I've read on the elevated food issue too, but it's been written both ways, Good and Bad. Bender has always had elevated food. The thing with bloat, as I understand it, no one is sure what can trigger it, it's all speculation, and theory. My Vet said lifting a hind leg and scratching their face just after eating may cause it. Laying down wrong can cause it, Running after scarfing down food can cause it. Bender always inhaled his food, and I never thought it was an issue. He was on a strict diet, 1 cup at a time so even if he did eat fast it wouldn't be too much at a time. The one consistent piece of advice I found was feed multiple meals through out the day and never one big meal.

Thanks again everyone, and I still recommend becoming familiar with the possible causes of Bloat.

I empathize with anyone who has ever lost a pet, I never knew it could hurt this bad. I have lost dogs in the past (family pets) but never one that I cared for a nurtured, one that needed and relied on me. :(

VX crazy
12/02/2008, 05:24 AM
I am so sorry!! Dont beat yourself up about what you could have done or what caused it! I too am an animal lover, I had a dog that passed away and I went and got the exact same kind of dog the same day and named her the same name! Crazy I know, but at the time it totally distracted me from grieving for the old one, and helped me to get out of bed in the mornings! You have tons of love to give to an animal and you it would be good for you AND the animal out there waiting for you!

Chopper
12/02/2008, 06:18 AM
The grief is natural....and in it's way good. Trying to defer it by bringing someone new home right away, is sort of like the transition girl you find to fill the gap right after a bad breakup. You'll always be comparing...rather than enjoying them for what they are. When you've moved along far enough, that you are not looking to fill a hole, the "right" personality will find you. It may be a dobe....it may be a terrier....but you'll know him/her when you meet. And you'll know it's time. Like any kind of love, the more you try to force it, the harder it will be to find, and the more wrong paths you will go down. It's not like replacing a beloved vehicle or TV.

kodiak
12/02/2008, 07:15 AM
I had to putt my dog down yesterday her name was Remy. She was having bad complications from diabetes. I had her for a little over 9 years. She was a good dog.

taylorRichie
12/02/2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll get a new dog soon. I just don't like coming home to an empty house. Brit has school late. Right now I'm just going to spend my time checking out Breeders, and Breeds, though I think I've made my mind up on another dobie. I haven't met one I didn't like.

I had to putt my dog down yesterday her name was Remy. She was having bad complications from diabetes. I had her for a little over 9 years. She was a good dog.

Dude I'm so sorry... It's always a tough decision to make when their quality of life isn't what it should be. Good luck! This place has been a great outlet for me. (no one can see the tears on my side of the screen)

My mom currently has a 1 eyed, but blind in the other eye dachshund. But he still wags his tail every time you call for him and he's become great at navigating their house. His quality of life is still good, but he's a silly dog.

WormGod
12/02/2008, 08:06 AM
Rich, I would sit on the new pet thing for a while. I did that with my Dobie just after having to put my 13 year old rescue Grayhound, Rudolph, down for throat cancer. I loved him dearly and having a new dog so fast caused me to judge her too mych and make unfair comparisons. She suffered for it greatly. Unknowingly, I just didn't give her the attention she needed. It took some time, but I came to my senses and turned around. I was a horrible person for it and she hardly benefited, but all has been good since I snapped out of it. Lucky for me, pets are quite forgiving and can be your best friend as long as you return the favor.

The lesson was learned though. I really should have gotten over my grieving period before I decided on picking up a new best friend. I "thought" she would solve all my sorrows from the loss of Rudy, but she was not the pill for that resolve. My advice though, just on my experience, try giving it some time. You may be a world different than me and it will work out, but this is just one perspective. :)

crager34
12/02/2008, 12:38 PM
Richie!! Come down to Moab for the weekend for some wheeling, drinking, and hanging out. You and Brit can stay with me and my dogs if you like.

kodiak
12/02/2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks to every one, sorry I didn’t start a separate thread. I just thought having 2 threads about dogs passing away in the same week was just too depressing. We berried Remy in the back yard last night, It hit me pretty hard this morning when she wasn’t there waiting for me to let her out. There’s just no way you can prepare for the day your buddy dies.

don moore
12/02/2008, 09:58 PM
:smilewink rick..Its hard to loose a family member..

Ldub
12/03/2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks to every one, sorry I didn’t start a separate thread. I just thought having 2 threads about dogs passing away in the same week was just too depressing. We berried Remy in the back yard last night, It hit me pretty hard this morning when she wasn’t there waiting for me to let her out. There’s just no way you can prepare for the day your buddy dies.

Amen Brother...Very sorry for your loss too...:sighwgray

Scott Harness
12/03/2008, 06:10 AM
Sorry you guys! You are making me sad.My boxer is getting there, one eye, deaf, bad hips. He is starting to need help getting on the couch.:(

WormGod
12/03/2008, 08:16 AM
This is very interesting to say the least. I ran into a friend last night who is a vet assistant and was asking her about bloat, to keep me up with the facts, other than what's online. She instantly got all serious on me and was saying that it was weird that I bring it up because the number of pets being brought in and diagnosed with bloat was really high this year and just seems to be increasing. Even for simple check ups now, her office is considering sonograms as part of the check up process, to look for any digestive complications. Her response has me more worried than ever now. :confused:

Chopper
12/03/2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry you guys! You are making me sad.My boxer is getting there, one eye, deaf, bad hips. He is starting to need help getting on the couch.:(
That's my Crystal now....13....gotta lift the back end onto her couch. Getting a little senile too. I just keep on putting that decision off. We have a service that comes to your home to make the whole thing easier on the dog...but I just can't pull that trigger, you know? Every day is a gift at this point.(probably more for me than her) I hate this conversation.

lasturbo
12/04/2008, 12:46 AM
My condolences to both of you. My Aussie Shepherd is 9 years old now and my first dog that I purchased and raised. I will be devastated when his time comes....Hang in there all, they all go to doggy heaven :)

Chopper
12/04/2008, 04:31 AM
You had to say "pull the trigger" didn't you?! I had a dog when I was a kid, part shepard/part coyote (grew up in the desert on farm land). Perhaps, we just assumed he was that type of mutt because he came home with all sorts of crazy critters. He came home with someone's prize rooster one morning. Not too long after that, he came home with a bullet hole and a dragging leg. My mom's boyfriend came over (yes my dad knew about him) to put my dog down. I was inside the house when I heard the gunshot so I immediately ran outside balling only to see my not-yet-dead dog get shot in the head - first shot didn't do the job, the one I saw did the job too well to forget. Took years to want another dog!

I was raised on a farm too. Only horses (and MAYBE a cow) got Vet care. I've yet to use a gun on any animal. Saw way too much of that growing up. I'm all for hunting the hunters. Way more sporting when your target is armed

taylorRichie
12/04/2008, 08:05 AM
To also append my initial post...

I misunderstood what my Vet was saying... He has only seen one other case of Bloat in a doberman. And that was in school. He sees 1-2 cases of bloat each month. "Bender's Story" has already saved a life. 2 days ago my sister-in-law's Parents dog got sick. They were worried after hearing about Bender, so they took her right in to the vet. Turned out she was Bloating and needed Emergency surgery. She is doing better now, but only time will tell.

I don't mean to SCARE anyone I just want to make sure we're all aware of this silent killer. I wished I'd known. Next time you take your dog in for shots, or a check up have a conversation with your vet. Know the risks, and preventative measures that can be taken for your specific breed.

nfpgasmask
12/04/2008, 08:13 AM
I was raised on a farm too. Only horses (and MAYBE a cow) got Vet care. I've yet to use a gun on any animal. Saw way too much of that growing up. I'm all for hunting the hunters. Way more sporting when your target is armed

x2. I thought I was the only one who felt this way...

Aside from last resort, starving in the middle of nowhere, the only thing I will be found shooting an animal with is my Nikon...

Bart

Ldub
12/04/2008, 08:33 AM

x2. I thought I was the only one who felt this way...

Aside from last resort, starving in the middle of nowhere, the only thing I will be found shooting an animal with is my Nikon...

Bart

x3...I always thought that having a high powered weapon was a MAJOR unfair advantage. I only know one person who IMO, hunts "right". That's my cousin.
He makes all of his own arrow heads & spear points from flint, makes his own long bows & flint knives, etc. Doesn't use bait, salt licks or cameras, just goes out with what he made & brings home food. I've always admired him for that...:cool:

nfpgasmask
12/04/2008, 09:09 AM
x3...I always thought that having a high powered weapon was a MAJOR unfair advantage. I only know one person who IMO, hunts "right". That's my cousin.
He makes all of his own arrow heads & spear points from flint, makes his own long bows & flint knives, etc. Doesn't use bait, salt licks or cameras, just goes out with what he made & brings home food. I've always admired him for that...:cool:

Yeah, hunting really is no "sport", imo. Personally, I think you should go hunting naked, and if you can take a deer with your bare hands, by all means, its yours! ;)

Bart

kodiak
12/04/2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah I’ve never had to put a family pet down before. I couldn’t imagine seeing what you did Justine. That must have been very traumatic.

Scott Harness
12/04/2008, 10:47 AM

The only negative thing about that type of hunting,if your a bad shot, is the animal wanders around with an arrow stuck in it. Eventually dying from starvation or infection. The same can happen with a rifle,but chances are alot slimmer because you can get a second shot fairly quickly.
Look up Ted Kerasote,if you like to read,He has written alot on ethical hunting. He also wrote Merle's Door-Lessons from a Freethinking Dog,FANTASTIC BOOK everybody I've turned it on to has bought several copies for friends. www.MerlesDoor.com

Scott Harness
12/04/2008, 11:06 AM
More writings:
www.Kerasote.com/books.html
especially Bloodties-Nature,Culture and the Hunt. Read the reviews. Sounds like he has a really good perspective.

Ldub
12/04/2008, 11:22 AM
Look up Ted Kerasote,if you like to read,He has written alot on ethical hunting. He also wrote Merle's Door-Lessons from a Freethinking Dog,FANTASTIC BOOK everybody I've turned it on to has bought several copies for friends. www.MerlesDoor.com

Just reading the excerpt made me want to go out & buy this book...well, that & your recommendation...:thumbup:
I do believe a trip to Barnes & Noble may be in order this afternoon...if I can convince myself to brave the 14 deg weather...:rolleyesg

Scott Harness
12/04/2008, 11:26 AM
Be Brave, lol Yea I'm going to buy Bloodties

Scott Harness
12/04/2008, 11:31 AM
What's funny is he finds Merle just outside Moab,after eating pizza.Gotta be Zaks or Jays Pasta House.:cool:

Ldub
12/04/2008, 11:34 AM
What's funny is he finds Merle just outside Moab,after eating pizza.Gotta be Zaks or Jays Pasta House.:cool:

That, & the description of his companions & new friend (Merle) is what put the hook in me.

Scott Harness
12/04/2008, 02:16 PM
When I read that part I couldn't help but think of The Portal in Moab and that bitch of a lady who thought my dog was a Doberman! He was off leash and when she started bitching at me, he sat down and stared at her. Good greyhound! ;)

I was there!! THAT was funny!You kept telling her he was a greyhound.

taylorRichie
12/04/2008, 05:06 PM
It was pretty traumatic at the time but I got over it after awhile. From growing up in Texas, dove hunting, and then moving to Wyoming with my dad, I was always around hunting. Guns and animals just fit now, I guess. :confused: Even a couple of months ago, my uncle took his old dying horse up in the mountains one last time, shot him, and left him up there somewhere. He never said anything about it or mentioned he was going to do it. Nobody questioned his actions because everyone could relate to leaving your hunting horse in it's element. I don't know what to say about hunting - it's a way of life that works for many people just like religion works for some and disgusts others. My dad gets all his meat for the year from the elk and deer he kills. It is a leaner, healthier food and just like eating a meal you have prepared for yourself gives you a certain pride; well hunting, killing, and dressing the animal you are going to eat increases that experience. The big horn sheep I took down after high school provided the greatest meals I had during college and was an awesome bonding experience with my dad. Riding horseback 20 miles into Wyoming high country, navigating fully loaded horses with packs through a washed out mountainside trail, surviving unpredictable mountain snow storms, camping with minimal essentials for 2 weeks, taking in everything around you, then taking down a big horn sheep when you are down to your last scraps allowing you to stay another day... I don't think anyone can say anything about "the sport of it" until they themselves have been a part of it. Besides, the animals we have killed died much more humanely than the burger you just bought at the store. Like I said, it's simply just a way of life, it works for some of us and doesn't harm anyone else.

x2

I've never hunted in my life, but I work with hunters... primarily bow hunters. And I enjoy the jerky and meat that I've been given.

I'm going to buy the book now.

Chopper
12/05/2008, 07:00 AM
Hey Zeus....tell Pop, he'd better be real careful taking Elk and deer. Deer in particular. There's a "wasting" disease working it's way thru their population. It appears to be related to Spongiform encephalopathy....the brain dissolving Mad Cow Disease. It's a Prion disease, not a virus, and apparently untreatable. No one is sure if it will move to humans or not, but there are warnings issued here every year for the last four or five. It has been moving steadily North and west. I've eaten Elk...it is excellent....but I'm not trading my brain for it. Of course, we roll the dice every time we eat any meat, I guess. Worrying times for us carnivores

Chopper
12/05/2008, 12:44 PM
How did you know I call him "Pop"?! Yeah, we have heard about that and apparently they did find a case or two in ranch deer somewhere, if I remember correctly. My dad always goes waaaaay into wilderness so hopefully those critters will be alright for a while. As for brain dissolving... my dad and I don't have too much to worry about there! :rolleyes:
I'm thinking, when the time comes...I'd be mighty fine to go out that way, and get really timbered up, and slip out from there. Let the animals and all, have at the remains and get recycled that way...I'm just worried about the horse getting back. Even up into the big empty in Idaho. I miss living in the mountains.

Scott Harness
12/05/2008, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking, when the time comes...I'd be mighty fine to go out that way, and get really timbered up, and slip out from there. Let the animals and all, have at the remains and get recycled that way...I'm just worried about the horse getting back. Even up into the big empty in Idaho. I miss living in the mountains.

I totally hear ya! I could never put my dad in a home, it would kill him. The older he gets the more he talks about dying. He told me he doesn't want to be buried next to his mom, even though there is a spot for him. He wants me to take him up into the mountains in a casket (no embalming) and let "the bears sh it him all over the woods". You might be onto something though, he just might take himself up there early to make that happen if he were to know it was already coming. :( He wouldn't want a funeral cuz he's never liked big groups. :rolleyes:

Great Minds think alike!! I'm totally recycling my body. Give back just a little.:cool:

Ldub
12/05/2008, 05:47 PM
Great Minds think alike!! I'm totally recycling my body. Give back just a little.:cool:

When we all move on to the VX commune we'll have "stew night" every once in a while...:smilewink

Scott Harness
12/05/2008, 08:55 PM
When we all move on to the VX commune we'll have "stew night" every once in a while...:smilewink

Share and Share Alike;ooo;:laughy::deady::coolgray::supercool

taylorRichie
01/10/2009, 03:10 PM
The only negative thing about that type of hunting,if your a bad shot, is the animal wanders around with an arrow stuck in it. Eventually dying from starvation or infection. The same can happen with a rifle,but chances are alot slimmer because you can get a second shot fairly quickly.

Thank you for the recommendation... I just finished reading it[Merle's door]... I look forward to reading more of his works, though I can't see them quite measuring up to this one.

Thanks again...

Scott Harness
01/10/2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the recommendation... I just finished reading it[Merle's door]... I look forward to reading more of his works, though I can't see them quite measuring up to this one.

Thanks again...
You're welcome,hope it helped with Benders passing:(