PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the !@#$ seat belt buckles...

vt_maverick
11/25/2008, 02:39 PM
... from getting caught in the door every time you close it? I end up having to re-open the door once I'm in or slide my hand between the seat and the door to fish it out every single time. :mad:

Well I'm actually not that mad, just thought somebody might have an idea/fix...

circmand
11/25/2008, 03:07 PM
Even worse if you do not catch it it drains your battery over night

nfpgasmask
11/25/2008, 03:18 PM
I think it must have something to do with how far back your seat is. I don't typically jam things up on my side, but I usually have the passenger seat all the way back and it gets caught a lot on that side. I am also in the habit of making sure the seatbelt is all the way reeled in before I shut the door...

Bart

vt_maverick
11/25/2008, 04:16 PM
Definitely correlated with seat position as mine IS all the way back. With it in that position it doesn't matter if it's reeled in or not, if you don't take the time to pull the buckle around the left seat bolster it will get caught (at least on my VX) every time.

My G35 has a belt guide attached to the clip on the wall that holds the buckle away from the door by a few inches or so - just wondering if you guys have ever seen something like that for the VX...

creeg
11/25/2008, 04:19 PM
This is supposed to fix the seatbelt getting stuck in the door, but its not a perfect fix:

1) get in seat and put on seat belt
2) there is a little plastic slider on the seat belt. Slide that so that it is up againts the male end of the seat belt

by doing that, it is supposed to keep the seat belt out of the door- something to do with keeping the metal seatbelt-thing high enough on the seatbelt strap so that its not in the door.

It works, but you have to remember to check where that slider is every once in a while, as it doesnt stay in place very well.

CrnCnn
11/25/2008, 04:43 PM
I have had this problem as well. I also have my seat all the way back. I have just trained myself to check it before I close the door.

Gussie2000
11/25/2008, 05:36 PM
Oh yes that's anoying,every time you get in or get out got to actually fight with the belt :mad:`

It seems that the retracting system fades away after years :(

I guess we all got to live with it

etlsport
11/25/2008, 07:48 PM
ya what he said... after you put your seat belt on.. locate the plastic clip (it should be on your lap somewhere or down towards the door) and slide it so its almost all the way to the buckle... next time you take the seat belt off the buckle wont be able to slide between the door and seats

Ldub
11/25/2008, 08:54 PM
This is supposed to fix the seatbelt getting stuck in the door, but its not a perfect fix:

1) get in seat and put on seat belt
2) there is a little plastic slider on the seat belt. Slide that so that it is up againts the male end of the seat belt

by doing that, it is supposed to keep the seat belt out of the door- something to do with keeping the metal seatbelt-thing high enough on the seatbelt strap so that its not in the door.

It works, but you have to remember to check where that slider is every once in a while, as it doesnt stay in place very well.

ya what he said... after you put your seat belt on.. locate the plastic clip (it should be on your lap somewhere or down towards the door) and slide it so its almost all the way to the buckle... next time you take the seat belt off the buckle wont be able to slide between the door and seats

This'll sound odd to you guys but...

I adjust mine, fully retracted, so the buckle (male) is hanging as high as possible. It's always right there, over my left shoulder, ready to deploy...:thumbup:
And placing it there upon exit, keeps it "out da door".:smilewink

etlsport
11/26/2008, 05:32 AM
This'll sound odd to you guys but...

I adjust mine, fully retracted, so the buckle (male) is hanging as high as possible. It's always right there, over my left shoulder, ready to deploy...:thumbup:
And placing it there upon exit, keeps it "out da door".:smilewink

i did that the first time.. but i weigh in at a whopping 135 lbs... so i dont use much of the seatbelt at all.. so when i had the clip all the way up, my seat belt was really loose! so i adjusted it for the highest it will go with me sitting there

tom4bren
11/26/2008, 06:15 AM
The problem is actually two fold for me.

1. The belt gets twisted in the guide for the retractor - happens alla time. I've almost hung myself on multiple occasions when reaching down to pick up something off the floor. So ... make sure the belt stays correct in that guide as much as possible. A stronger retractor would help with this I'm sure.

2. The plastic slider thinggy doesn't stay in place for me either. I fixed this on a previous car by sewing a button where the plastic slider thinggy should be (mine was actually missing). I haven't done this yet on the VX but will eventually.

Rest assured, I have it on good authority that if you are sewing anything in a vehicle you are an upholsterer & not a seamstress (seamster???). Your manhood will remain intact.

WormGod
11/26/2008, 08:11 AM
It became a habit for me to simply check everytime I got out. Doesn't go so well for passengers though. *sigh*

vt_maverick
11/26/2008, 10:07 AM
Tried the moving the plastic guard at lunch and it works great, although like others said I'm not sure how long it will last. The button sewing (man-style at least) seems like a good option.

circmand
11/26/2008, 11:34 AM
I still have to see if adjusting works

dave3702
11/26/2008, 02:16 PM
Searched "seatbelts" online and found a company that offers belt components. I had seen a push together plastic button on other brands and they offer this item. Ordered two, put them on the front belts so they are about the middle of my lap with belt on. This keeps the male buckle up and out of the door and it doesn't need to be re-adjusted ever.

etlsport
11/26/2008, 04:11 PM
Hey good to see you still around dave! That button is a good idea, I found part numbers to order them from toyota.. i think they are like 5 bucks each or something like that

Black: 73219-02010
Grey: 73219-02020
Beige: 73219-02030

Joe Isuzu
12/03/2008, 07:48 AM
I thought this post was hilarious. Yes, it happens to me too, anytime my wife closes the passenger door I can tell if she closed it on the seatbelt or not. I just constantly give her grief but it's happened to me on the driver's side as well. Frustrating but I guess you live with it. I will try the slider thing mentioned previously and see if that helps.

So-CalVX
12/03/2008, 11:22 AM
haha... i thought it was a problem with the seatbelt... like maybe IF my truck had been wrecked (like i think it has) they didn't install new belts... but i'm kinda relieved i'm not the only one....

i just make sure i put it inside before closing the door.... but i forget from time to time :(

crager34
12/04/2008, 10:19 AM
The ONLY time this ever happens to me, is when someone (not me) takes their seatbelt off and doesn't let it properly retract. They usually hang onto it allowing it to twist, so it can't rectract. Then when they get out, the slack flops outside the door and when they goto close it.... CLANK!!!!

Don't let the thing twist and make sure it retracts properly is my fix.

tomdietrying
12/04/2008, 07:15 PM
Who knew........it really works!
Peace.
Tom