PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm joining the VX Club

isaac65
11/23/2008, 09:47 AM
Well, first of all my name is Isaac and I've been thinking about getting a small SUV for a while. I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure I want to get a VX.

Just wanted to get some expert advice on a few things.
I live in Dallas and found a nice one in Harligen, TX (close to mexico) with 80K miles. They want $8000 for it. Deal or No Deal? The few VX's around here are either way more with approx the same mileage or they look nasty and worn from the pictures. I'm planning on heading down there on Wednesday to pick it up since we're going to San Antonio for Thanksgiving anyway.

A few questions for you guys:

1. Is it really that hard/expensive to get parts for the VX? I don't think I'd mind after market parts to do a repair or maintenance. I would understand a VX only part like headlights or hood insert would be difficult to find, but what about mechanical parts? Most are the same as the Trooper, right?

2. I've never owned an SUV. Is the gas mileage it has reasonable for an SUV that size/age/engine size/etc.?

3. I've heard from several sources that the resale value will be crap since Isuzu is no longer here. Have you noticed that? I haven't. Actually, a few people I've talked to while shopping around for one have told me that they've been getting tons of calls to see them and one guy said he sold his in two days and was still getting tons of calls.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into trouble by going out on a limb and buying a car long distance. I just don't see myself in a "regular looking" SUV. I really like the way these look and think they'd be a really good fit for me.

Thanks for the help!

rowhard
11/23/2008, 10:12 AM
Well, there is good news and not so good news.

the good news is that you will be buy and joining a community that, well as some have said, 'welcome to the addiction' The VX is an awesome PUV, thats Performance Utility Vehicle and you will have more fun then you proable ever had with your clothes one.

Now for the not so good news, so know this going in. Isuzu has pulled out of the American market, so parts, espically the VX only parts will be getting harder to find.

Underneath, it is a trooper, in fact is based on the 2 door version. so it shares many parts with it and also, many of the parts came out of the GM parts bin, so find a good, smart GM mechanic to help you there.

If you want something that gets good MPG, don't bother, I get 14 on average. and that is pretty much normal. I do have larger tires.

If you want to check that one out, common problems we have is the windows tilting when coming up. User SBC has designed a replacement bracket to fix this problem for 50 bucks and is worth every penny. The 6 cd changer is junk, very few members haven't had problems with it. Many have complained about rear end whine so most of us just buy bigger speakers. Do you have a family? getting in out of the back seat is a B#@$h!

And of course, all of the other things you would look at on ANY second hand vehicle.

That said, welcome to the addiction. There are a number of members down your way and they often will caravan up together to MOAB for the annual ZUZOO meet in May.

pbkid
11/23/2008, 10:34 AM
^^^^he's right....

parts wise, unless its body, there is another car that is compatible most times...just have to find the compatible part...and thats what we have this site for....

its a great car to drive, really fun and you will get all types of looks from people and all types of questions like "is that a ferrari concept?", "is that the new cayenne?"....which is always fun to play with people and tell them yes :bwgr:

advise---if the windows havent been fixed properly you will most likely have the window tilt problem, so go ahead and buy the brackets and get them fixed right...also, keep an eye on the oil, if it drops the slightest bit, fill it. or you will be in deep *&#.....i check mine EVERY time i get gas or stop at a gas station at all, i personally didnt keep an eye on mine when i first had my VX and it ended up costing me a very expensive new motor....also, replace your PCV valve when you do oil changes, its a $2 part that will help keep the oil flowing well through the motor...

thats what i've learned so far, and im sure a few others will chime in with other words of wisdom....good luck and welcome to the addiction/family

kodiak
11/23/2008, 10:38 AM
1.Parts can be expensive if you don’t know were to shop. Yes, except for the body and shocks most of the VX part came out of the vast GM and Isuzu parts bin. The chasie is a modified two door trooper and a lot of the interior came from the rodeo.

2.The gas mileage isn’t good, It’s not bad for an SUV. The best average I’ve achieved was 20 mpg and that was with a lot of freeway driving.

3. Good question? The VX is getting old, but the value seems to have leveled off. With the rarity of the VX and the fact that rare japans cars are starting to be seen as sot after collectables chances are good that it will be a vary collectible investment.

tomdietrying
11/23/2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I would also check to see if it's a '99. If I'm not mistaken, I think the 99s seem to have the 5th or 6th cylinder that goes bad every so often.

If you get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
check to see if the differential fluids have been changed. If they have been changed, it's a good bet someone has been taken good care of that VX.

VehiGAZ
11/23/2008, 11:15 AM
1. Is it really that hard/expensive to get parts for the VX? I don't think I'd mind after market parts to do a repair or maintenance. I would understand a VX only part like headlights or hood insert would be difficult to find, but what about mechanical parts? Most are the same as the Trooper, right?

2. I've never owned an SUV. Is the gas mileage it has reasonable for an SUV that size/age/engine size/etc.?

3. I've heard from several sources that the resale value will be crap since Isuzu is no longer here. Have you noticed that? I haven't. Actually, a few people I've talked to while shopping around for one have told me that they've been getting tons of calls to see them and one guy said he sold his in two days and was still getting tons of calls.

1 - you can still get VX-only parts from an Isuzu dealer, but yes, they might be expensive and slow to arrive. You can always pick some up from a totaled VX that someone is parting out, too. Aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful, though. If you have a second vehicle, then it's no big deal to wait for a part you need.

2 - Mileage is not so great, but there is also a wide range (14 - 20 mpg) depending on the particular truck and how you drive it. But gas is cheap again, so...

3 - The VX is a special model, so it is still in demand while other Isuzu models may be near unsellable. People tend to take better care of VXs than Troopers, so that also works in your favor.

Good luck this week!

kodiak
11/23/2008, 11:15 AM
Holy crap! I thought I was the first one to reply to this thread.

That’s what I get for not refreshing the page.:p

isaac65
11/24/2008, 04:34 AM
Well, thank you guys for all the advice. I got my greyhound ticket ready and I'll be heading down Wed morning to pick it up. I'll let y'all know how it went and hopefully you'll start seeing more of me on here. :)
Wish me luck!

tom4bren
11/24/2008, 05:36 AM
& don't forget to keep Merlin's number handy for OEM parts. He's at St Charles Isuzu & is HIGHLY recommended as the best source (he even gives a discount to members here).

For aftermarket stuff, Tone Monday is a good source (also a member here).

Don't second guess your choice. I paid more for mine than I should have - went half way across the country for it - bought it sight unseen - never regretted it.

BTW - keep an eye on your CV boots as well. If your VX isn't lifted, chances are they'll last forever but ...

isaac65
11/24/2008, 06:15 PM
Well, had someone buy it out from under me before I could get to it. Was really pissed off till I found this one. I don't know how I missed it earlier, but it's not too far from where I live. I think I can get him down to $9500. I hope so cause it looks really clean and the guy was pretty cool. He sounded like he really loved it and took care of it.
What do you guys think?

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/isuzu-vehicross-cars294866958;_ylt=AkJbLVeRQahIKgg152sgCyrbWY54;_y lv=3?sortcol=price&sortdir=up&askpriceub=any&askpricelb=any&deliverymileageub=any&deliverymileagelb=any&location=Garland%2C+TX+75043&listingtype=used&model=vehicross&make=isuzu&distance=300

kodiak
11/24/2008, 07:29 PM
Looks good! Hopefully the windows are bad, Then you can talk him down and fix it later for 50$;) Ask him about oil consumption. Allot of the 2001s like mine don’t have that problem. So if it doesn’t that’s a plus.

Well, had someone buy it out from under me before I could get to it. Was really pissed off till I found this one. I don't know how I missed it earlier, but it's not too far from where I live. I think I can get him down to $9500. I hope so cause it looks really clean and the guy was pretty cool. He sounded like he really loved it and took care of it.
What do you guys think?

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/isuzu-vehicross-cars294866958;_ylt=AkJbLVeRQahIKgg152sgCyrbWY54;_y lv=3?sortcol=price&sortdir=up&askpriceub=any&askpricelb=any&deliverymileageub=any&deliverymileagelb=any&location=Garland%2C+TX+75043&listingtype=used&model=vehicross&make=isuzu&distance=300

isaac65
11/25/2008, 04:22 AM
Looks good! Hopefully the windows are bad, Then you can talk him down and fix it later for 50$;) Ask him about oil consumption. Allot of the 2001s like mine don’t have that problem. So if it doesn’t that’s a plus.

Cool, will do. Glad I found this one and didn't go with the other one. He seems like he really look care of it and it's got MB Quart speakers and a built in 10' JL sub in the spare tire compartment. I'll let y'all know how it goes later today.

isaac65
12/10/2008, 02:22 PM
Cool, will do. Glad I found this one and didn't go with the other one. He seems like he really look care of it and it's got MB Quart speakers and a built in 10' JL sub in the spare tire compartment. I'll let y'all know how it goes later today.

Well, it's official. I'm now the proud owner of my first VehiCROSS! :cool:
It turns out it's actually RobVX's ebony 2001 VX #1301.
I love it and I'm glad I found a really nice one locally. I look forward to frequenting these forums and maybe meeting some of you some day.

Ldub
12/10/2008, 05:06 PM
I love it and I'm glad I found a really nice one locally. I look forward to frequenting these forums and maybe meeting some of you some day.

Welcome to the FAM!!!...:dance:

I STILL have vivid memories of the first time me & Suzy went for our first "dance" ...GAME OVER!

Scott Harness
12/10/2008, 05:24 PM

You have found the best one you could find.I've seen Rob's VX in person at a meet. You're right, great guy and he took fantastic care of it.Tomdietrying can vouch for Rob also. Several active DFW VX's on here. Congrats! Moab is in May GET READY WOOT as Ldub would say

Ldub
12/10/2008, 05:34 PM
You have found the best one you could find.I've seen Rob's VX in person at a meet. You're right, great guy and he took fantastic care of it.Tomdietrying can vouch for Rob also. Several active DFW VX's on here. Congrats! Moab is in May GET READY WOOT as Ldub would say

WOOT-WOOT!!!

kodiak
12/10/2008, 05:52 PM
Very cool! Welcome to the club. The only bad thing is you won’t enjoy driving other cars now. It’s the VX curse.;)

don moore
12/10/2008, 08:20 PM
just remember we or some of us are always here for you .......WELCOME:p

PittVXr
12/10/2008, 09:00 PM
Glad you found one. Take it from me, you will spend days reading the forums here. There is a ton of good info available that will answer just about any question you can think of.

VehiGAZ
12/11/2008, 06:58 AM
Congrats Isaac!! Enjoy the ride...

isaac65
12/11/2008, 09:02 AM
Congrats Isaac!! Enjoy the ride...
I will and thank you all for the warm welcome!

BigSwede
12/11/2008, 11:28 AM
Hopefully you bring it to Moab so I can see that 10-foot subwoofer... ;)

isaac65
12/11/2008, 03:53 PM
Hopefully you bring it to Moab so I can see that 10-foot subwoofer... ;)

lol, yeah, I noticed that... :rolleyes:

tomdietrying
12/11/2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I'll second what Scott said about the VX you bought and the original owner. Welcome to the club.
Peace.
Tom