PDA

View Full Version : Goodbyes are always so difficult

Maugan_VX
11/23/2008, 07:30 AM
So yesterday, I traded in the VX on a brand new 08 FJ cruiser.

I just wanted to come by and say thanks to everyone that helped out when it came to any questions I had with my VX - I realize that I was a pretty pompous *** when I first got here, and for that I apologize. I truely appreciated the help that I got from the community and I enjoyed discussing things related to the VX.

Why did I do it?

The VX had close to 130,000 miles on it. I put 80k on it in 4 years. Also, when I bought the VX in 2004, I was 6'6" 180 lbs. I started taking care of my diabetes more attentively and I'm now the same height but 230 lbs. After driving home from North Carolina a couple weekends ago, I couldn't walk for a day because the seat had made my whole right leg go numb. Had to go see the doctor and everything - he said that I was lucky that I didn't get a blood clot. Also, my family has expanded with the addition of a giant golden retreiver and the space required to move the dog, the wife, and bags for a week made the VX unpractical.

That being said, the VX was the best Isuzu I've ever owned, and I've owned only Isuzus up to this point. I'll always love it, and when I pulled it in at the dealership, all the toyota guys were checking it out and litterally fighting over the keys to take it out for a spin. It made me sad to see it go, but I'm looking forward to seeing what my new ride will be able to do.

Cheers, and I hope that I can still show up to an Isuzuwarrie and get to play with you guys :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_W-OLykJh4lc/RPeinTwsABI/AAAAAAAAAGY/p_VHyNwRLiU/s400/100_0137.JPG

Gussie2000
11/23/2008, 07:40 AM
It's sad to let go something you always loved & devoted to.

However you had reasons to do so,life changes & so we have too.

Even though your VX's gone you always will be a VXer it's like the marines "SEMPER FI"

Stay with us & let's us know how your new toy performe out there.I'll admit that the FJ is a great SUV.well, it's a TOYOTA :rolleyes:

Congrats on your new ride ! :)

jamessmith
11/23/2008, 08:25 AM
Good luck!!!the FJ cruiser is an awesome truck..you cannot go wrong in a toy. Take care of your medical condition,and may god bless....

pbkid
11/23/2008, 10:25 AM
hey, sounds like you had pretty good reasons to do it so we dont blame ya....

good luck, the FJ is a nice ride too, im sure you will like it...

if you ever get bored and want a vehicle to play with, just pick a VX up on the side :bgwp:

tomdietrying
11/23/2008, 10:30 AM
Good luck with with everything in the future. Years down the road a FJ may be in my future too.
Peace.
Tom

VehiGAZ
11/23/2008, 11:19 AM
I agree - the FJ is something of a spiritual successor to the VX... cool looking, bad view out the back, gunslit windshield, excellent off-road prowess, and a pita to get into the back seat!

I've been thinking about getting out of my VX, too (they are giving away the Cayenne S these days) but then I see it sitting there looking so f-n cool that I just can't do it!

Good luck Maugan!

VCrossfan
11/23/2008, 11:48 AM
I love the FJ. Take care of that new ride and most importantly your health....

lasturbo
11/23/2008, 05:32 PM
Best wishes to you and Happy Holidays from San Diego! Enjoy your new ride!!

Moncha
11/23/2008, 06:30 PM
As I have always said, you are always welcome here. You have knowledge that can't be exchanged for anything. Keep checking in and stay in touch. Good luck with the FJ.

Scott

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/23/2008, 08:15 PM
Good luck with the new ride. Don't be a stranger!

Everytime I go to the 4wd jamboree in Canfield, OH (they even have Ian from extreme 4x4...jesse never seems to show..:mad:), I marvel over how much aftermarket stuff is available for the FJ. They have fully outfitted FJ's on display that leave me licking my chops! If I could get that kind of aftermarket support for the VX, I'd be broke right now!

WormGod
11/24/2008, 07:44 AM
Good luck!!!the FJ cruiser is an awesome truck..you cannot go wrong in a toy. Take care of your medical condition,and may god bless....

No it isn't and yes he can. :p :cool:

Sorry to see ya let her go, but, we all hit that crossroad eventually. Best of luck to ya and I hope she finds a good, new home (even at her age :) ).

LittleBeast
11/24/2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah the FJ is not as cool as the VX in my book either, but still a nice option. Jay Dunford traded his VX for a FJ as well and he has that thing black out nicely. Good luck with everything :)

Maugan_VX
12/01/2008, 12:24 PM
No it isn't and yes he can. :p :cool:

Sorry to see ya let her go, but, we all hit that crossroad eventually. Best of luck to ya and I hope she finds a good, new home (even at her age :) ).

I just put 2200 miles on it in the first week of owning it. Had to drive the sucker up to Maryland and back from Georgia. The trip back had a 6x12 trailer on the back of it... in the rain.... lightly loaded (wicker furniture) and in the rain caused a fair bit of fishtailing. Quite disconcerting.

As for the aftermarket stuff, I bought it a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'll be laying low on the plethora of aftermarket, warranty-breaking goodies.

It is getting the GPS nav system installed today :)

tom4bren
12/01/2008, 12:32 PM
So the $10 question ... how did your back handle the long drive in the FJ?

Mark B
12/01/2008, 01:08 PM
Good luck. Hope you gave your VX to a good home.
Drop by from time to time and let us know what you are doing.

taylorRichie
12/01/2008, 07:30 PM
I understand getting a new vehicle... but only to save some mileage on the VX :) I'm sure I'll get a new car in a few years... but I have no intention on getting rid of the Vehicross... I'd rather park it than part with it. :D

That being said I'm a big fan of the FJ and it was definitely in the running when I purchased my VX.

At your current driving rate you'll have more miles on your FJ than I do in a couple years ;) And I wouldn't be surprised if you already have more miles than Jo.

kpaske
12/01/2008, 08:18 PM
Wow, sorry to see another member go. Personally I think it makes sense to think about selling rather than letting it sit parked (unless you have the free time to enjoy it on the weekends of course). Do you mind if I ask how much you got on your trade in?

WormGod
12/02/2008, 07:48 AM
I just put 2200 miles on it in the first week of owning it. Had to drive the sucker up to Maryland and back from Georgia. The trip back had a 6x12 trailer on the back of it... in the rain.... lightly loaded (wicker furniture) and in the rain caused a fair bit of fishtailing. Quite disconcerting.

As for the aftermarket stuff, I bought it a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'll be laying low on the plethora of aftermarket, warranty-breaking goodies.

It is getting the GPS nav system installed today :)

MD eh? Should have taken the opportunity to look me up. I have been BORED!!!! :bgwp:

etlsport
12/02/2008, 02:26 PM
MD eh? Should have taken the opportunity to look me up. I have been BORED!!!! :bgwp:

haha Gary, I'll be down in fredneck wednesday afternoon - friday mid day if you want to grab a bite or somethin

Maugan_VX
12/03/2008, 07:07 AM
So the $10 question ... how did your back handle the long drive in the FJ?

My lower back hurt quite a bit on the way up. Getting used to the seat and apparently its quite a common complaint about the FJ seats. On the way home though it didn't hurt nearly as bad. Getting used to your cars seats is part of the process. My legs however were perfectly comfortable and never went numb or tingled or anything.

MD eh? Should have taken the opportunity to look me up. I have been BORED!!!!

My folks live over on the Eastern Shore. I drove up Wednesday night and left Saturday morning. I barely had enough time to visit all my family up there unfortunately. I might be back around Xmas - although we're supposed to go to my in-laws for that holiday this year.