PDA

View Full Version : love my VX!

etlsport
11/21/2008, 04:27 AM
first snow (and unexpected too) of the season and i live on a particularly bad road... so i woke up this morning to like 4 cars and 2 buses disabled on the side of the road... my vx towed out one of the cars and drove one of the disabled drivers back home without even breaking a sweat :dance:

Mark B
11/21/2008, 04:53 AM
My VX only home has been in Florida. Just sun and sand.
She has never seen snow. Maybe one day I will take her to the cold country.

tom4bren
11/21/2008, 05:09 AM
What - no pix & a How2 write up???:)

Yer right tho ... VX=God's gift to mankind.

kodiak
11/21/2008, 06:04 AM
I can honestly say I've never driven anything better in the snow, and I’ve driven everything. I think?;)

etlsport
11/21/2008, 06:37 AM
the short wheel base is great and terrible.. great cause all the weight is right over the wheels.. but it does want to spin on you too if you arent careful

VehiGAZ
11/21/2008, 06:55 AM
What do you use for a tow line, Eric?

etlsport
11/21/2008, 06:58 AM
i have a 20' long 3" wide tow strap with looped ends that i got at a local 4x4 place.. rated at 20,000 lbs

in the front of the vx i use the stock tow hook and just put the loops around that, for the back i have 3/4" d ring shackles rated right around 10,000 lbs that i put through the tow loops back there

VehiGAZ
11/21/2008, 07:07 AM
I know the kind. Gotta get me one of them for the coming winter. I found a cheapo one at a cheapo store a few years back, and it lasted about 0.3 sec before proving how cheapo it really was.

Now why do you have snow in PA but we've got nuthin' but a nice sunny day in CT?!?

Well, I guess I want snow, but not until I get the rest of the leaves cleaned up and the 928 gets put away for hibernation...

kodiak
11/21/2008, 07:17 AM
lol! Yeah, I’ve never driven one of those. But from what I understand the Typhoon is awesome entail you turn a corner, then it kills you.:deadgray:

How about a Typhoon? It will put you in your seat, even in some snow! I test drove one in the slick stuff and would have bought it if the turbo hadn't cut out on me. Still, as strange as it feels to say this... it is not as practical as the VX. Must be gettng old. :rolleyes: Viva La VX!

WormGod
11/21/2008, 08:20 AM
Yep, mine has seen it's fair share of snow. And the salty roads that come with it, which like to chew on metal like no tomorrow. Upkeep is a pain in the arse in the winter around here.

Getting snow outside as I type this. Not much but enough to bring out the paranoia in every motorist out there.

pbkid
11/21/2008, 09:21 AM
my favorite is when you get to pull a jeep out of a ditch...

(sorry for you jeep owners, no offense but some of them take it too far)

i remember a couple years back i was on a back road out by my parents and there was a X3, a tacoma and some sort of small car all stuck on a side road...

small car got stuck, X3 tried to help, but got stuck... tacoma almost got him out but unded up fishtailing into a bigger drift and getting himself stuck...

drove around the toyota in deeper snow, pulled the X3 out, then the small car...

then i came back around to the other side to pull the toyota out...

they were all like...WTF is this thing?? by the time i got em all out, they were all astounded by the snow power and the interior of my VX

iamironman
11/21/2008, 04:07 PM
That story almost makes me wnt to move back to detroit for the winter in my VX.........................Almost!! LOL

Reminds me, when I was 14, after my mother went to bed and I "borrowed" her '73 ford LTD station wagon for a joyride and it was snowing cats and dogs... I was doing donuts on oakman blvd just south of tireman ave, (if anybody else knows where this is you know how wide this street is.) I wound up in a 6ft snow drift... took me 3 hours to dig the tank out... I "borrowed" a shovel off a nearby porch... (while I was digging, I turned the headlight off)... when I was finally dug out I started driving home and a car coming towards me started flashing their lights at me, being inexperienced as I was I had no idea why this guy was doing this so I just kept going when I got home pulled in the driveway a cop pulls up right behind me....................

I was grounded for a month...

ScottinMA
11/21/2008, 06:10 PM
I've had my VX a few years and I must say that it is NOT so safe in the snow. I live in New England and commute to Vermont weekends during the snow season. The Short wheelbase is the issue. You can put this vehicle in a spin faster than anything but a CJ5 (a short wheelbase jeep manufactured years ago). However, it will dig it's way out of most anything. You just need a LOT of experience driving a short wheelbase vehicle like a VX to keep it safe. I would say that in my experience the safest ride in the snow I've experienced in a 4WD was in a Suburban (when driving through Jackson Hole WY I was totally impressed!).

pbkid
11/21/2008, 06:49 PM
subaru's are pretty awesome, ill give them credit for sure...

the real question is what type of tires do you have??

it makes a HUGE difference...

i can get farther in my lowered integra with awesome tires than my isuzu with crappy tires....

with the stock tires my VX wasn't anything extraordinary...then i went and spent a ton on good tires....best thing on the road now....

same with my acura, summer tires, cant go anywhere...good snow tires, i go back and forth up and down the rockies and pass trucks and SUV's all over the place....

just my opinion that tires make the world of difference in the snow...

mdwyer
11/24/2008, 12:36 AM
subaru's are pretty awesome, ill give them credit for sure...

just my opinion that tires make the world of difference in the snow...

Agreed on both counts. One of these days, I'll spring for another set of rims and some Nokian Hakkapeliitta's, and I'll be pretty much unstoppable. Until then, the all-seasons seems to work pretty good on the Subaru, up until I get high-centered... :)

But I am totally sold on good snow tires. The difference they make is amazing.

kodiak
11/24/2008, 07:19 AM
I found this yesterday. Subaru AWD is awesome.:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

fuzzy
11/24/2008, 07:35 AM
pbkid,

What tires do you have that dominate the snow and ice of Colorado? My BFGs work okay most days, but I find that chains are needed for the really bad weather.

WormGod
11/24/2008, 08:05 AM
Cool Subaru AWD vid. I always was a fan of the symmetrical system and have never had any issues with my WReX in any conditions. Well, except when I was too lazy to switch out my old BBSs with racing Yokos during a winter, but that shouldn't count, heh. My Subie holds up near perfect in the snow, but since it is dropped on Cobb springs it has the ride height of a sheet of paper. Still, it does great in snow/rain, but if the snow is anywhere above 5-6", I pull out the VX. No worries about ride height at that point, heh.

pbkid
11/24/2008, 09:08 AM
actually i have a set of bridgestone winter duelers (which is funny to me because i wasnt impressed by the factory duelers)....

they are heavily siped and work AWESOME....my parents actually live right down by you fuzzy...they live in palmer lake/monument....

i have only gotten my VX stuck once and it drive it like its a tank in the snow....and the only reason i got it stuck was because i wanted to see how far up a snow mound i could get....i get about 3/4 the way up and it all gives way and i was just sunk up to my frame...my wheels werent even touching the ground..

but seriously, i do a TON of backcountry snowboarding and go up all types of crazy hills covered in snow to get to my destination and my vx never has problems...ive gotten to places where jeeps and tahoes and xterra's couldnt dream of in the snow....

at my parents house i very commonly end up "plowing" the driveway with the front of my VX... and very commonly the snow is deeper than my hood....

if you want a demonstration ill be down by black forest quite a bit in the next month because of holidays...we can go for a little trip if you want.... maybe during 'colorado colors'???