PDA

View Full Version : should I ...?

yal^
07/10/2003, 06:00 PM
There is 2001 VX Proton Yellow I fell in love with in about two seconds from getting behind the weel. Everything says NO, even my husband, but...
It has 25000 miles on and is in perfect condition. Maybe slight scratches on the back of the fender, but nothing serious. At the end they had to drive it and have fun, right? Dealer probably will ask $19 950. How much would it be worth to say?
Help, please.
yal

Joe_Black
07/10/2003, 07:29 PM
Check www.carmax.com, www.traderonline.com and ebay for a good comparison of prices. You'll find the Protons command a little higher price and when I looked last week (for a friend) there were several in the above resources. I've had some excellent experiences with the CarMax in Orlando, although I got my Dragon in your neck of the woods from M'Lady Isuzu.

It's a great vehicle and this board is a tremendous resource for any questions or issues you may have. But if it's something you truly enjoy then... GO FOR IT!

nocturnalVX
07/10/2003, 07:30 PM
Asking the members of this forum what thier VX is "worth" is likely to become a loooooooooooooooooooong thread, so here's the easiest answer. The dealer asking @ $20,000 sounds likely. So you offer $15,000... meet somewhere in between, get the coolest vehicle on the planet, and join us at Lombard's cruise night this Saturday! See you there!

Spike
07/10/2003, 07:43 PM
Don't forget to go by the dealership after hours (so you don't get harassed) and copy down the VIN # to run a CarFax report.
Then give it to your insurance agent to get an estimate.

AnalogVX
07/10/2003, 08:37 PM
That's what I paid for my '99 with 36k last September. I felt the same way, everything financially was saying no, but I had to have it. My purchase was based purely on emotion and owners' threads on vmag at the time. I haven't looked back since. Sorry if that only makes matters worse :p

It kinda sounds like you already made up your mind? ;)

Dallas4u
07/10/2003, 09:27 PM
Bought my '99 in Nov. 00', paid $22.5 w/13k miles. I was paying on a '97 Honda Prelude at the time which I LOVED, but I had to have the VX... yup, HAD to have it. I bought it WHILE also paying for the Prelude. I sold the Prelude privately.

Nothing ever says "yes" when you are purchasing a vehicle. The dealers and salesmen always make it a total pain in the arse to buy a car. If you want it... and you know you do, chuck it up, go back there, tell them how much you want to pay (not monthly, but total... probably around $17k) and play them. I hate dealing with sales people, but you'll have to play their game.

IsuZOOM
07/10/2003, 09:39 PM
Out of all the vehicles I've ever bought, only two haven't left me with regrets - my '01 Proton and my '00 RX-300. Go for it!

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/10/2003, 10:04 PM
I bought my 2000 IronMan VX in January of 2001; after dealing on and off again for 3 weeks as I was trading in my white with gold accents 1995 Jeep Grande Cherrokee Limited with Smittybuilt Gold edition grille guard/step bar/tail-lamp guard pkg.
and Hidden Hitch along with new Perrelli Scorpions AT's.

Book value without the add ons was about $9k-$11k--they offered me $6k...I asked for $11...I laughed and left.

a week goes by and they call me up to renegotiate...I tell them on the phone I'm not coming all the way up there for $500...they say they can do me right...I go in and we haggle....they offer me $7.5k....I laughed and left.

a week goes by and they call me up again..I go in and we haggle...they offer me $9k...I hold out for more...manager tries insulting me by insinuating that perhaps the VX is unaffordable to me and therefore I should be dealing on a rodeo sport... I surprise him with complete calmness by agreeing with him on the notion that perhaps I CANNOT AFFORD the VX but am in no way interested in any other vehicle on the lot...I thank him for his time and laughed and left.

a week goes by and they call me up stating they can do better on my trade-in....I go in and they offer me $10k...I spend the next 6 hrs haggling for $2,500 off the sticker because I brought in an ad
for a Chevy Blazer ZR-2 discounted for that amount at another lot
just down the street, all while feigning interest in the Chevy, while also finally get my trade value up to $10.5. I must admit they finally wore me down and I signed the papers!

yal^
07/11/2003, 08:46 AM
wow, thanx.
I could not get better response from anoyone. I am crazy about the car, and the longer I do research on it, the more I love it. Thank you for your advice, I spoke to the dealer, who btw appears to be less sharky, as the others since he knows my family and got already some money on us. He said "off hand", trying me sleaky, that maybe $1.500 would go down, it all depends. I told him I am not in a hurry. I keep my guard up and wait for the sytuation to develop but wish me luck; I am getting anxious and may break down and... You know, you get what you want regardless anything else. Especially that this is one of a kind purchase.

And I am sorry, I started a new thread in the wrong place - got exited I found you, you know?

yal

paultvx
07/11/2003, 10:55 AM
Everyone says no? Well, that makes it easy. You'll have it all to yourself. Perfect! ;)

VCAMILO
07/11/2003, 11:06 AM
Great story Jolly Roger VX'er. My story was almost similar but
it all happened in the 5 hrs I was @ the M'Lady Dealership. I walked out three times and got in my car before they pulled me back. I guess they needed to sell them because they had 30-40 Vx's in the lot. BUT NO PROTON ONES!!! ARG!!! I got miss Ebony!
The financing wasnt that great but... I had to have her; We had to have them. My mother also has a VX! ;Db;

AlaskaVX
07/11/2003, 11:10 AM
Nice dealing Jolly Roger, 6k-10.5k thats awesome!
As for "should I" I think you already know the answer to that :)
If you get it, you won't regret it. I paid $22,200 and it had 14,000 miles on it and still believe I got a good deal. If you can get it for 17k or less it would be a killer deal! I really like the proton's. Good luck haggling

Spike
07/11/2003, 03:15 PM
Warning, subliminal message follows:

buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it... buy it...

;Db;

Pens
07/11/2003, 06:53 PM
I bought my Proton 01 in October last year with 12,000 miles on it for just under $20,000. Can't really complain about the price and it would do me no good since they weren't going to deal on it anyway. Just be advised that people search for the protons and they get shipped to other dealers with people already lined up. I think you would be doing well to get that for $18,000.

yal^
07/11/2003, 07:26 PM
I do not count on less than $18000, but thanx for advice.

btw I just got in a big fight with my hubby, who decided a 91 BMW 850 il would be a better car for the same money. Somebody hand me a shot gun

Heraclid
07/11/2003, 07:47 PM
A BMW guy and a VehiCross girl... how ever did you two get together? :-)

Just kidding. No violence now, ya hear? :-)

yal^
07/11/2003, 07:51 PM
Good question. How?
To tell you the truth I have no idea ;)

And violence? What violence? There will be no violence, just a divorce at the worst ;)

Heraclid
07/11/2003, 08:06 PM
Well there are probably plenty of guys here who would be interested in and appreciate a woman who digs a VehiCross... I mean you have to be a neat gal. :-) But I hope things work out for ya.

Hey, maybe that's it... if you drive a proton yellow VX you'll be a dude magnet. LOL

cruzer65
07/11/2003, 08:44 PM
Hi yal i was wondering if you are talking about the proton yellow vx at the Mitsubishi dealer .If you are i stoped in to look at it . It's in great shape. I also talked to a sales guy , and i think they will sell for about 17,500 give or take a couple of hundred.
I paid 18,500 for mine and it only had 13,000 miles on it.:)

paultvx
07/11/2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by yal^
I do not count on less than $18000, but thanx for advice.

btw I just got in a big fight with my hubby, who decided a 91 BMW 850 il would be a better car for the same money. Somebody hand me a shot gun

A 91 BMW would be a better car?? What?? Is he insane??

Your repair bills on the BMW would be astronomical simply because it's a BMW Every mechanic you take it to, including BMW certified mechanics will think "cha-ching!"

The VX being a newer vehicle will likely need fewer doctors visits until wear and tear starts to set in after a few years of use. The cost of the 30,000 mile service will be a real zinger but nothing like what a repair bill would be for a BMW. Put the "no sex" card on the negotiating table. Whatever car you get, no matter how expensive or exotic it is, if it isn't truely what your heart desires, you will never be happy with it.

Spike
07/12/2003, 05:39 AM
You said 850 ... that is the 12 cylinder...

We are DEFINITELY talking about high repair bills!!!

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 09:39 AM
If you're going to be the one driving it every day, you oughta get to choose it. Simple as that.

If its attention or a status symbol he's looking for or something, I dare say the very limited-production VehiCross will get a lot more attention than the 12-year-old BMW. Until very recently I'd never even seen a BMW I liked, but that's just me.

Now I probably wouldn't go back to a car - just feels weird. Even my wife's minivan feels so low to the ground now. I actually used to think I'd never have an SUV, but that was largely due to how they cornered. The VehiCross is without that problem and handles very well. I feel like I can push the envelope on a VehiCross and get away with a lot. Heck, I KNOW it. I'm still blown away that it didn't have more difficulty down in some of the stuff it was driven through at the Juniper Springs meet.

WyrreJ
07/12/2003, 11:21 AM
The 850 was a 2-door coupe and of rather limited production, I wouldn't be surprised if had less numbers than for the VX. And, even for a 12 year-old car, it is still looking fairly sexy. But, as Spike pointed out, if the 12-cylinder needs any repairs, the cost will be ass-kicking-tro-nomical, and the 12-cylinders are not known for reliability either.

Plus, you might want to look at safety systems. Did even BMWs have anti-lock braking and air-bags back then? If you can get specs like stopping distances for the 850, almost certainly they are longer than for the VX which has one of the shortest stopping distance of any vehicle on the road today due to the brake design being borrowed from an SUV that was 500lbs heavier.

yal^
07/12/2003, 01:51 PM
huh, let it be known I am a proud owner of my Yellow little Proton ;)

My hubby cave in this morning discovering he left his wallet and check book at the dealer's in the car I told him to test drive. First he got very upset, and then he was told, after getting his stuff back, that other person looking at the car last night would not get in because of his wallet lying there. He took it as a sign from God knows where and decided to negotiate.

Imagine the level of my stress as I got a phone call from him, that he is buying the damn thing. Further more, after my heart and severe panic attack he brought sales guy to my work right in the middle of the wild rush, where my boss is staring at me, customers are demanding this and that, and they want to know what is my answer. Too bad they did not wait for me after I was done with work, I could've bargain more. My hubby, bless his heart is a good but naive men.

Heraclid: yes, it is attention that my husband was looking for, but he understands now the repair bill is not worth it, especially that the last couple of "status and attention cars" were a complete disaster. Well, the sytuation is, that he will be driving a Mercedes ML 320 we bought initially for him but I ended up driving for last year or so. I though it would make him happy, but he only parked ML in a garage and continous driving old hit junkie we have for emergencies.

Now I need you to tell me I did well and will be happy with it. I have to, otherwise the shot gun will be in use, but it won't be me shooting. I am scared to death...

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 02:17 PM
WyrreJ, pardon my ignorance on the matter of the 850. Hey, I didn't even get a driver's license until a few years after that car was made.

yal^, congratulations! Now trade VehiCrosses with me. LOL! Just kidding, but I do like the yellow.

Yes, I think you did quite well. Stick around here and you'll be in good shape - we have a lot of good people here with a lot of experience and know-how to answer any questions you have about your VX. Other than that, make it a point to take good care of your VX and it should take care of you. That means don't take it up to its eyeballs in mud like someone did recently. <innocent look> :-)

Joe_Black
07/12/2003, 02:25 PM
Congratulations! Be sure to post some pics for us of your new baby! Just tell your hubby you would've had to double the payments to just to keep the BMW running and insured! The 850 is a nice looking car, but most people look at them while in the service bay waiting for $$$ parts. The Isuzu? Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

valenki
07/12/2003, 02:32 PM
I have a 1999 Ironman w/ 16,000 miles on it in perfect condiiton
I am thinking about selling it because I need the money. I have the title on hand and want 16.000 firm for it. This vehicle has barely been used at all. If interested let me know valenki@aol.com

yal^
07/12/2003, 03:23 PM
you mean to get another one so mine has a company? ha, let me cool off from the exciment of having one and give my other half fell in love with it, then we will talk ;)

you all are great, and yes I will stick around with tones of questions I believe. There is a first: what the hell do I do with the rear view mirror problem?

yal^
07/12/2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by cruzer65
Hi yal i was wondering if you are talking about the proton yellow vx at the Mitsubishi dealer .If you are i stoped in to look at it . It's in great shape. I also talked to a sales guy , and i think they will sell for about 17,500 give or take a couple of hundred.
I paid 18,500 for mine and it only had 13,000 miles on it.:)

ouch, paid a little bit more, but that's life. Mine was at Continental Honda in Countryside and is in perfect condition. The whole family is going nuts about it. My dad want's to know if I would trade in for his Ranger. HA HA

Heraclid
07/12/2003, 03:42 PM
You bought the wrong damn vehicle...

...if you don't want to get noticed. :-)

geshaw30
07/12/2003, 04:01 PM
Welcome...
Here's the answer to the first of many questions we're sure you are gonna have (and don't forget to use the "search" feature).
The rear view mirror, in iteslf, is pretty useless. There are two cheap "fix-it's" that can be done to improve rear visibility.....(1) buy a set of "van eyes". You'll know them as the plastic square deals one often sees on the rear window of Winnebagos. If you find one, I got mine at PepBoys, then cut it into a crescent moon shape to fit atop the curve of the window made by the spare tire cover. It really isn't necessary to put that entire ugly piece of plastic over your entire window when the cutout works just fine......(2) buy a set of the small round mirrors that attach to the exterior mirrors. This increases your vision greatly. Those two inexpensive "mods" solve the problem. Now, on a grander scale, you can purchase a rear camera system but it's rather costly. The camera, usually, is mounted in the half moon cladding piece on your rear door. If you look you'll see the sqaure area where, on overseas rides, the camera system is already installed.
Again. welcome aboard ....;pb;
________
Oxycontin Rehab Dicussion (http://www.rehab-forum.com/oxycontin-rehab/)

IsuZOOM
07/12/2003, 06:00 PM
I swiveled the rear mirror to the top-most position and it's much more effective. Still, I'm installing a camera / monitor too :)

AnalogVX
07/12/2003, 08:10 PM
CONGRATS! You are going to love this truck.
As far as rear visibility...
Removing the head rests from the rear seats also helps alot.

Spike
07/13/2003, 12:20 AM
WOOHOO! The subliminal message worked!

You are going to be SO happy with it...

Even after dealing with my recent engine replacement due to a failed oil pump, it has not swayed me from KNOWING I made the right choice. I actually flew out to Wisconsin, bought and drove my VX back here to Philadelphia 3 months ago.
Yours was local. cant beat that!

Enjoy!

The 850 was a GREAT looking car one of the few BMW's that I find attractive. .. But it was short lived, they werent selling enough, so they made the 840 (same car with an 8 cyl) their new flagship for a few years before dumping the whole 8 series altogether...

Unfortunately the only time I see an 850 around these days, there is someone behind the wheel that looks like a serious drug dealer. Such a sad legacy for such a nice ride.

Anyway, you are going to have to post pics of your new family member on here!

Oh and a word of advice... dont let others drive your VX.. they will get addicted and harass you to drive it again and again..

Joe_Black
07/13/2003, 07:02 AM
As IsuZOOM mentioned swiveling the mirror stalk to it's uppermost postion does help. However, I'm 6'3" and have a good angle to get "over the hump". One thing a VX owner quickly develops is a constant head-swiveling motion for use during reverse and lane-changing. You CAN see, it just takes a while learning what parts of the various small windows affords the best view for you. If you do let someone else drive it, be VERY certain to advise them of the unusual visibility issues so they don't bring it back damaged! ENJOY!!!

yal^
07/13/2003, 02:48 PM
What a warm welcome :thanx:
It is a loooooot different to drive this car from ML. VX has a character! LOL

Ok, a few words about the view.
Joe_Black: I am rather small person, only 5'1" and swiveling the mirror isn't giving me much 'cause I can't see it then, but I am listening to you and will work out the solution.

Spike: Thank goodness I left a key out of the sight when I went to work today. My family was looking for it to "test drive" my baby. It still has no plates, so it was safely in the garage getting on their nerves, as they could just look but not touch :)
About 850 I think it is some sort of dream that could never come true. Simply because the older those cars get, the more illusive they become. The legend is there, but not the reality sort of speak.

paultvx
07/13/2003, 04:33 PM
If I had the $ to spend on an 850 (and I would love to have one) I wouldn't do it. I'd spend it on a Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo and spend the rest of the $ to restore and mod it to the hilt. I estimate that with a $20,000 budget, it is possible to build a 600 crank HP 300zx. Price of the car included.

Porsche who?

Adjust your mirrors as you see fit. Everyone has a different seating position and height. I find that they are more useful if I aim them outward (so that I can see just a little bit of the VX). The round stick on convex mirrors I have do a great job in minimizing the blind spots.

Heraclid
07/13/2003, 07:45 PM
I have grown accustomed to the rearward view to the point I'm no longer sure I want to modify my VX over it. The most I'll probably do is install one of those beeping sensors just in case I got a small child back there one day because I sure don't want to hit any kid. A camera would be great, but not really worth the money in my book, especially considering the more inexpensive (and just as effective) alternatives.

I feel like I can see rather well actually with the stock mirrors. I have developed a pretty good sense of where the back of the VX is and am pretty comfortable with backing up now. Granted, I am over 6' tall.

I had the stick-on round mirrors on my Avenger and it's just a personal choice, but I wouldn't have 'em again. I've had problems with the mirror part turning black. Must have just had cheap ones, but still - I just don't like things that you stick on because they either never come off or always fall off. Wind deflectors, plain ol' stickers, the little round mirrrors... anything with adhesive I'm leary of. Just my 2 cents.

Spike
07/14/2003, 08:41 AM
Heraclid - That's what I like about the MacNeil WeatherFlectors.. NO adhesive... they just slide up into the window frame.

yal^ - Do yourself a favor and hide ALL keys except the one that is wired to your forearm.

As was said in a thread a long time ago, that the visibility issue tends to make you an even safer driver. I will totally agree.
Lane changing becomes an active process. I give people a long lead before pulling in front of them. The good thing is that the VX is so short.

MMMm.. a garage, I am SO jealous.

Enjoy!

AlaskaVX
07/14/2003, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the family! Now you have freinds all over the US! One of the members (gruven) is actually coming up to Alaska to do some fishing and we are going to hook up to talk some VX talk.
Hope you don't mind people staring at you, especially since you have a proton. :D :thumbup:

Spike
07/14/2003, 01:17 PM
Oh one more thing we forgot to mention...

You and your family need to drive around the US and visit the rest of the VX owners... in the VX of course..

paultvx
07/14/2003, 01:27 PM
So many people telling you what to do... aren't you sick of us already? ;)

Spike
07/14/2003, 01:51 PM
She can't be sick of us...
She is now one of us... ;Db;

It's not allowed.

VXD959
07/14/2003, 02:05 PM
Congratulations and welcome! You will not regret your decision! I really like the proton! I own a black and a silver one, but the proton is my favorite!!!

BTW, I was looking for a nice sedan in 1996 and was about to get a 1990 BMW 850 (silver/gray) with 45K miles. Price was right: $18,500. I consulted my trusted mechanic just to hear this: Do not even try! Very expensive parts, lot of problems with the engine, besides a V-12 that will put a hole in your pocket!!!
(My mechanic was an ex-BMW technician).

I settled for a 1994 325i sports package...which I drove for a couple of years.

But nothing compares to the VX!

ENJOY IT!;pp; ;pr; ;py;

yal^
07/14/2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
So many people telling you what to do... aren't you sick of us already? ;)

Hahahahahaha.... nope, that's what I was looking for for a very long time. A family sort of speak :D

And oh boy, the things started already happening. The most grouchiest neighbor came over to 'check out the tomatoes' and btw "what the hell is that thing on your driveway?" ;)

But I still have no plates so another day of waiting, and then....
Does somebody know where around Chicago area is a place I can let my baby go crazy?

SGT.BATGUANO
07/14/2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by yal^

Does somebody know where around Chicago area is a place I can let my baby go crazy?

Onroad? Well, since you said around Chicago, you must mean OFFROAD places. I believe some area VX'ers go to the BADLANDS in In. About a 3 hour drive.

I wish there was someplace to RallyCross nearby.

AnalogVX
07/14/2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
Onroad? Well, since you said around Chicago, you must mean OFFROAD places. I believe some area VX'ers go to the BADLANDS in In. About a 3 hour drive.

I wish there was someplace to RallyCross nearby.

Attica can be as crazy as you want to get. From sand to trails.