PDA

View Full Version : Little Big Planet is an amazing game!

LittleBeast
11/20/2008, 09:42 AM
So instead of cluttering up the Fallout 3 thread I decided to start another one:

PS - Yeah, I saw some stuff about Little Big Planet on G4 and I really couldn't understand what all the hub-bub was about. I guess I will just have to play it to find out. In a nut shell, what is so fun about it?

So basically you can do whatever you can imagine. As you play you will pick up different items and you will learn how to use them as you go, but you can seriously do whatever you want, and if you cannot you simply can go and make your own level and then everyone on PSN can play the level that you designed and rate your level on many different levels. If you do not want to design and create your own levels and environments you can simply play through the game or play through any of the infinite number of levels that other people all around the world have designed. All the while doing whatever you want, and by this I mean if you want to knock over the other person playing with you do it, if you want to put a donkeys tail or a flower on someones face that you are playing with, do it, if you want to have a pumpkin as your head do it, if you want to play an underwater level you can find one, can't find one? Make one and then everyone else can play it to, want to play alone have at it, want to play with 4 people on one PS3 do it, want to play with people from across the world do it, want to go through the American Gladiators course level with your friends do it, is the course not exactly correct, could you make the level better? Do it, want to run through the Ninja Warrior level, do it......... Get the picture?

FULLY customizable EVERYTHING, if you can think it you can do it, it really is your own Little Big Planet, great game.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 10:26 AM
I guess I understand the "free for all" concept, but I don't understand what EXACTLY makes it fun? So you have this character who jumps around and pushes things and builds things and etc, but so what? Is it simply the fact that you can build your own levels that makes it fun? Or is it more the community aspect? And as for the game play, is there a goal? I mean, so your on this level that someone made, how do you "pass" the level? Is there like stuff you have to find or bosses to kill or obstacles to conquer? I just don't get it. I mean, obviously, it is simply what it is, and its fun from what I understand (i just need to play it) but from everything I have seen I am just at a complete loss as to what makes this game so appealing...I'm not knocking it, just trying to guage it. I would just buy it, but I can't tell you how many times I have wasted $50 on a game that totally sucks.

Bart

Ldub
11/20/2008, 10:31 AM
I would just buy it, but I can't tell you how many times I have wasted $50 on a game that totally sucks.

Bart

Man do I hear THAT!...:sighwgray

That's why I started renting first, then buying used...:smilewink

I was going to rent LBP yesterday, but the ONE copy they had was out...so I told the store mgr. about all the buzz surrounding this game & he "said" he was going to get more copies...we'll see.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 10:49 AM

I was going to rent LBP yesterday, but the ONE copy they had was out...so I told the store mgr. about all the buzz surrounding this game & he "said" he was going to get more copies...we'll see.

Yeah, I would rather spend $50 on a couple cases of my favorite expensive beer, than waste it on a crappy game. BUT, if the game is good, the money spent is worth every penny, but those games are trully hard to come by. As I write, the latest GTA sits in a drawer under my TV, played only for a little bit. I've been thinking abotu GameFly a little...anyone using it?

But serioulsly, let's get back to Little Big Planet.

Bart

LittleBeast
11/20/2008, 12:07 PM
Is it simply the fact that you can build your own levels that makes it fun? Or is it more the community aspect? And as for the game play, is there a goal? I mean, so your on this level that someone made, how do you "pass" the level? Is there like stuff you have to find or bosses to kill or obstacles to conquer? I just don't get it. I mean, obviously, it is simply what it is, and its fun from what I understand (i just need to play it) but from everything I have seen I am just at a complete loss as to what makes this game so appealing...I'm not knocking it, just trying to guage it. I would just buy it, but I can't tell you how many times I have wasted $50 on a game that totally sucks.

Bart

No I think it is the sheer number of things to make your experience unique that makes this game such a value. Any aspect of the game on its own is great: levels, community, interactivity, but it is the way they are all tied together in one package that impresses me. As for gameplay, each level has its own goal, there are parts of levels called races, obviously you are trying to reach a certain destination as fast as possible, but the real heart of the gameplay is a side scrolling platformer with infinite possibilities. Most surfaces you can walk on have 3 different "depths" you can walk on, the foreground, middle ground, and background, and you can hop into whichever one you want by simply pushing up or down. You can change your sackboy's mood and facial expressions, you can create your own bosses in levels and select how they are supposed to be defeated, and even give your bosses different traits and behaviors. There are jetpacks that can allow for ultimate freedom in parts of levels, or there are vehicles that can be ridden and controlled. Once you complete a level it ranks all the players that were in that level and shows which one of you got the most points which are attained by collecting various objects and items and depends on how well you complete the races or any other part of the levels, and then it shows you your world ranking for that level, if it is a level in the story than you can move on or play the level again to try and master it, or if it was a level someone created you can rank their level on many different aspects.

cyronman
11/20/2008, 01:00 PM
I guess I understand the "free for all" concept, but I don't understand what EXACTLY makes it fun? And as for the game play, is there a goal? ...I'm not knocking it, just trying to guage it. I would just buy it, but I can't tell you how many times I have wasted $50 on a game that totally sucks.

Bart

x2

cyronman
11/20/2008, 01:09 PM
I've been thinking abotu GameFly a little...anyone using it?

Bart

Not YET, but I have been THIS close to starting it for a bout 2 months now.
Call me frugal, but it just seems a tad too expensive to hook me right now.

And not to stray off course, but something about this LBP reminds me of (Star Wars) Lego games, which was a blast when I rented it last year.
And that game actually has 'progression'.

WormGod
11/20/2008, 01:40 PM
Tried LBP at work and just couldn't get into it. Got dull fast. I guess I am just not what you would call a "casual" gamer. I need mayhem and exploding pickup trucks. :cool:

It is a pretty game though. Very photo realistic.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 02:01 PM
Tried LBP at work and just couldn't get into it. Got dull fast. I guess I am just not what you would call a "casual" gamer. I need mayhem and exploding pickup trucks. :cool:

It is a pretty game though. Very photo realistic.

Yeah, i think I am on the same page as you, Worm. I like to "open the door, sit in the seat, turn the key, AND GO". I have no tolerance for games that require any of the following:

1) Reading A LOT (I mean seriously, it's a video game, not a book)
2) Designing or customizing your character (who cares what your guy looks like in GTA? I just wanna kill ppl!!)
3) Games with loads of cut scenes (I'd rather watch a movie)
4) Games that take 20 minutes to "set things up" before you can actually start playing
5) Games that require you to be an octopus with hands to control

I don't like roll playing games really at all (who knows, even Fallout might not be for me, as I thought it was more of a FPS than a RPG).

Have any of you guys played "PixelJunk Eden"?? I downloaded the demo for the PS3, and while pretty, I was just like, WTF? Do I need to smoke a couple bowls to enjoy this? It was interesting for about 2 seconds. I'm afraid LBP will be much like this.

Bart

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 02:04 PM
When I think of LBP I think of The Sims.

Yeah, the Sims is WEAK. My wife plays it sometimes, and you know, pee isn't clear. If you are going to go through the trouble of making a game where the characters will piss themselves if you don't take them to the bathroom, at LEAST give the urine some diginity and make it nice and yellow.

The Sims could be great, if you could KILL in the game with something other than neglect...

:) Bart

Ldub
11/20/2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the Sims is WEAK. My wife plays it sometimes, and you know, pee isn't clear. :) Bart

It's obvious to me, that you aren't drinking heavily enough...:naughty:...:rotate:

LittleBeast
11/21/2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, i think I am on the same page as you, Worm. I like to "open the door, sit in the seat, turn the key, AND GO". I have no tolerance for games that require any of the following:

1) Reading A LOT (I mean seriously, it's a video game, not a book)
2) Designing or customizing your character (who cares what your guy looks like in GTA? I just wanna kill ppl!!)
3) Games with loads of cut scenes (I'd rather watch a movie)
4) Games that take 20 minutes to "set things up" before you can actually start playing
5) Games that require you to be an octopus with hands to control

I don't like roll playing games really at all (who knows, even Fallout might not be for me, as I thought it was more of a FPS than a RPG).

Have any of you guys played "PixelJunk Eden"?? I downloaded the demo for the PS3, and while pretty, I was just like, WTF? Do I need to smoke a couple bowls to enjoy this? It was interesting for about 2 seconds. I'm afraid LBP will be much like this.

Bart

Yeah I am right there with you on all accounts really, that is still why I never finished Oblivion completely (don't really like RPG's that much) sounds like you would love Uncharted though and definitely Resistance 2, and PixelJunk Eden was not enjoyable at all, PixelJunk Racers is pretty fun as a multi player but as 1 player completely boring.

nfpgasmask
11/21/2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah I am right there with you on all accounts really, that is still why I never finished Oblivion completely (don't really like RPG's that much) sounds like you would love Uncharted though and definitely Resistance 2, and PixelJunk Eden was not enjoyable at all, PixelJunk Racers is pretty fun as a multi player but as 1 player completely boring.

Yup, I played Unfarted (:)) all the way through. Fun game, but the controls were a little difficult and annoying for me. Would have been better as a FPS!

Bart

PK
11/21/2008, 03:29 PM
Looks like the marketing gurus don't think much of LBP.

It is one of the games they give away when you buy the Playstation down here in Aussie land.

PK

Ldub
12/04/2008, 12:00 PM

How bout' that...the squeaky wheel gets the grease once in a while...:razzgray:

They now have TWO copies of LBP, & I was able to rent one...:thumbup:
Pretty entertaining for a side scrolling platformer, some aspects reminded me of "Sonic".
Had a few friends over last night, & multiplayer is a good time, why is putting the "smack down" on unsuspecting friends SO enjoyable???...:naughty:
Haven't gotten into the "building your own levels" yet, but my version of the sack boy reminds me of what I can remember of the 70's, combined with Pirates of the Carribean & a couple Zombie movies...:rolleyesg
This title has huge potential for winning "stoner game of the year"...:smilewink