PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Dome Light

Bieredalsace
11/08/2008, 08:35 AM
My dome light has 2 problems. It comes on sporadically when you open the door, sometimes Yes and sometimes No....... and when I push on the cover where it says "push here" to turn the light on independant of the door switch, there is no movement. It won't budge. So right about now I'm thinking of going to Auto Palace, Advanced Auto Parts or Pep Boys and buying anything that will cover the cutout in the ceiling material.
Thanks for any help.

Y33TREKker
11/08/2008, 09:26 AM
Can I have it if you decide to 86 it? :bgwo:

If there is no movement, I'd say the problem is in the light fixture itself. My guess is that the problem would be easily apparent if you just took it out and looked at it piece by piece. That's something I've never done so I couldn't make any guesses as to which particular piece might be causing the problem, but it's probably something simple, like maybe a bug got into it and is causing limited movement of one of the pieces. (That may sound far fetched, but it actually happened on one of my motorcycles one time. A bug just happened to be crawling across the contact of my starter switch one time when I tried to start it, and the resulting "pieces" that remained prevented the switch from making good electrical contact until I took it apart and cleaned off the contacts. Once it was cleaned, no more problems.)

Bieredalsace
11/08/2008, 12:56 PM
I understand what you're saying about there being a "bug" in the switch..no pun intended!!
There were times when I held the bulb in my fingers and wiggling it and it lite sometimes and sometimes not. So I like your idea about taking the whole thing apart and checking it bit by bit.
Thanks for the advice.

rowhard
11/08/2008, 07:36 PM
maybe a silly question, but has the lens been reversed during a bulb replacement?

Chopper
11/10/2008, 06:20 AM
Mine used to come on when you hit a bump. I pulled the bulb years ago, and forgot all about it. I don't need a light in there at all.

tom4bren
11/10/2008, 06:47 AM
Mine's stopped working. I replaced the burned out bulb & it worked for a week. 'Nuther replacement bulb but no worky either. I haven't torn into it yet. Mine still depresses tho when I press it.

Grif
07/13/2009, 06:27 PM
My dope lig..... erk dome light wasnt working at all... popping the cover off I found no bulb. So I replaced the bulb, no joy. So I replaced the fuze, which was obviously blown, and YAY.. was suprised to discover the tap-on/off feature.

However, the timer will not turn off the light when the doors are closed. Its supposed to turn off on like 3 mins. However, even if I manually tap it off, once I close the door it turns on again, and wont turn off untill I get back in the vehicle and tap it off. However, once I leave the vehicle it turns back on again and the timer will not turn it off, it simply turns back on and wont turn off ever, till I get back in and tap it again.

Any ideas? I'm beginning to wonder why the original owner may have removed the bulb now in the first place!!

Really would like this to be an easy simple fix.... <crosses fingers>

Grif
07/13/2009, 08:20 PM
My dope lig..... erk dome light wasnt working at all... popping the cover off I found no bulb. So I replaced the bulb, no joy. So I replaced the fuze, which was obviously blown, and YAY.. was suprised to discover the tap-on/off feature.

However, the timer will not turn off the light when the doors are closed. Its supposed to turn off on like 3 mins. However, even if I manually tap it off, once I close the door it turns on again, and wont turn off untill I get back in the vehicle and tap it off. However, once I leave the vehicle it turns back on again and the timer will not turn it off, it simply turns back on and wont turn off ever, till I get back in and tap it again.

Any ideas? I'm beginning to wonder why the original owner may have removed the bulb now in the first place!!

Really would like this to be an easy simple fix.... <crosses fingers>

EDIT:

Ok, went through all the fuses, to no avail. But now I notice that if I tap the light off and exit via the PASSENGER side door, the light does not turn back on at all, not even timed.

While fussing though the interior fusebox, I noticed a diode. I'm wondering if that diode is responsible for the timing of the dome light to turn off? I'm also wondering if that same diode is responsible for another quirk, that being that I cannot adjust the brightness of my dash lights.

I know it sounds odd, you would think the brightness of the dashboard lights would be controlled by a simple potentiometer, but the pot does nothing when I try to turn the brightness of my gauges up or down. Problems related? I dunno.... I kindly beg assistance.

Gussie2000
07/13/2009, 08:51 PM
EDIT:

Ok, went through all the fuses, to no avail. But now I notice that if I tap the light off and exit via the PASSENGER side door, the light does not turn back on at all, not even timed.

While fussing though the interior fusebox, I noticed a diode. I'm wondering if that diode is responsible for the timing of the dome light to turn off? I'm also wondering if that same diode is responsible for another quirk, that being that I cannot adjust the brightness of my dash lights.

I know it sounds odd, you would think the brightness of the dashboard lights would be controlled by a simple potentiometer, but the pot does nothing when I try to turn the brightness of my gauges up or down. Problems related? I dunno.... I kindly beg assistance.

Probably the black switch that turns off the dome light at the driver's door jam may be broken,while the passenger one is working OK.

About the dash light potentiometer mines use to work,but after i upgrade my stereo sys it never worked again,i just didn't bother with it.

The potentiometer may need replacement,go to saint charles isuzu website & check up the price for a new one or call merlin for better assistance

Push your right hand behind the dashboard & try to figured out if the pot's harness is disconected.

Riff Raff
07/13/2009, 10:22 PM
Gremlins.:smack:

tom4bren
07/14/2009, 04:16 AM
I gave up on ever getting my dome light to work.

The only problem I have with my dash light dimmer is that I hit it with my knee every time I get in. Whenever I turn on headlights, dash illumination is always at lowest setting.

KeithVXlvr
07/14/2009, 09:52 AM
EDIT:

Grif, we told you not to buy that piece of junk. How are the seats ??

Grif
07/14/2009, 09:30 PM
Grif, we told you not to buy that piece of junk. How are the seats ??

I just got the rest of the audio gear hooked up and was offered over twice what I paid for it by a random shop customer when it rolled out of the shop bay. Yes, it rolls that well. I learned all my panels have been already dynamatted, and also recently leared that a local shop had installed a 3in lift kit. All this time I just thought it had big tires!! lol.

I also committed to getting the front end work done and the rear diff leak taken care of for about a grand.

The Dome light thing fixed itself as I re-seated the all the fuses, as a PC tech I know that kinda **** happens just reseating the hardware. Also my electric door locks now work and the passenger side electric window now at least TRIES to work, I can hear the motor trying anyways. (prolly need the standard metal retrofits for that window to work)

At the Audio shop I had my second sub installed and 4 JBL component front and rear sets. It sounds nothing less than incredible.

Rear seats still need thier locking mechanisms, I'll post pics someday. Thats kinda high on my short list after the suspension stuff. Since after the small subs and amp, the seats fold down just fine and can I bunjie the seats up against the front seats if I need to haul more computer gear.

Nobody but ppl on this forum have ever called my VX a POS. I love it, and it keeps getting better. Most ppl I meet are gape mouthed and have nothing but intrest in it. So... continue with the negativity if you want, its all working out just fine so far.

Thanks for your help. lol

Gussie2000
07/15/2009, 05:22 AM
I just got the rest of the audio gear hooked up and was offered over twice what I paid for it by a random shop customer when it rolled out of the shop bay. Yes, it rolls that well. I learned all my panels have been already dynamatted, and also recently leared that a local shop had installed a 3in lift kit. All this time I just thought it had big tires!! lol.

I also committed to getting the front end work done and the rear diff leak taken care of for about a grand.

The Dome light thing fixed itself as I re-seated the all the fuses, as a PC tech I know that kinda **** happens just reseating the hardware. Also my electric door locks now work and the passenger side electric window now at least TRIES to work, I can hear the motor trying anyways. (prolly need the standard metal retrofits for that window to work)

At the Audio shop I had my second sub installed and 4 JBL component front and rear sets. It sounds nothing less than incredible.

Rear seats still need thier locking mechanisms, I'll post pics someday. Thats kinda high on my short list after the suspension stuff. Since after the small subs and amp, the seats fold down just fine and can I bunjie the seats up against the front seats if I need to haul more computer gear.

Nobody but ppl on this forum have ever called my VX a POS. I love it, and it keeps getting better. Most ppl I meet are gape mouthed and have nothing but intrest in it. So... continue with the negativity if you want, its all working out just fine so far.

Thanks for your help. lol

Well GRIF,did you ever hear the word determination,you got that & the VX someday,finally will be the VX you were dreaming off.
Please don't hold a grudge against any one in here,we really love to know that our fellow members do the right choices,we want you to enjoy your new toy & play with it every single day,that's the purpose of this great site.

Even though we definetly wanted you to get into a better VX then this one we all really willing you get the VX up-to-date & running smooth,we really do.

I'll apolagize for any one in here that was bit hard on you,they didn't meant to be,we aren't like that.

Keep us posted on the progress,post some pics,about the rear seats i quite sure you read about tom willing to give a hand.

Good luck ! :yesb:

tom4bren
07/15/2009, 07:09 AM
Grif,

Personally I'm glad you got the VX and are now giving it the TLC that it deserves.

If anyone continues to give you grief, just turn it around into a big joke. If you ever get bored, search on 'offset from hell'. You'll see what I mean.:)

One caution tho. Many members with a 3" lift have experienced CV boot failures. Keep a close eye on them. DO NOT let them run dry. If you ever get to the point of a permanent fix, lemme know. I can help hook you up with diff drop brackets.

Tom

Grif
07/15/2009, 08:37 AM
Grif,

Personally I'm glad you got the VX and are now giving it the TLC that it deserves.

If anyone continues to give you grief, just turn it around into a big joke. If you ever get bored, search on 'offset from hell'. You'll see what I mean.:)

One caution tho. Many members with a 3" lift have experienced CV boot failures. Keep a close eye on them. DO NOT let them run dry. If you ever get to the point of a permanent fix, lemme know. I can help hook you up with diff drop brackets.

Tom

Really? It is going into the shop for that very reason. (amoung others) What is your permanent fix? Mebbe I can get the brackets before the shop orders thier parts.

KeithVXlvr
07/15/2009, 09:27 AM
Grif,

Sounds like you have that piece of junk up and running pretty darn well.

Most of the questionable VX's out there are real sturdy and just need a little TLC to get them back into primo shape.

Good job and post some pic's of that bad boy soooooon. :)

tom4bren
07/15/2009, 10:40 AM
Grif,

Here's a thread on the subject:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12892&highlight=cv+boots

I probably won't be able to help you out for a while. I've only got 2 sets & I'm waiting on both to be returned for modification.

There's contact info for Darlington in the thread. He can prolly help you out quicker than anyone.

The only difference between what Darlington sells & I have is that Darlington does a 1.5 inch drop & I have a 2 inch drop.

Don't forget to visit the How2 section to read up on the install procedures. You may want to print a copy for the shop if you're paying someone else to do the work. I'll PM you my cell number in case you need to discuss.

BTW, the above thread also lists Tone as a source for the diff drop brackets. He passed away a few months ago so is not an available source.