PDA

View Full Version : HELP-How do transfer title from out of state?

VX crazy
11/08/2008, 08:07 AM
Has anyone purchased their VX from out of state? I am buying one in Illinois and bringing it to Texas, I have searched online and very confused....I just pay sales tax in Texas when I get it here correct? Any info would help, do we need to notarize title transfer or bill of sale in Illinois before leaving? Just need to know the process.......for title transfer....too many forms.

jdm monkey
11/08/2008, 08:40 AM
I bought mine from TX and brought it to VA. There is a place for buyer and seller to fill out at title page and sign after that all I did was to register the car in VA. I downloaded a form from DMV, bring the bill of sale, title and money to pay tax and for new tags.

VX crazy
11/08/2008, 11:41 AM
Any info on license plate issue....seller told me I need to bring plate from my VX and put on his, and IF i get pulled over show both titles and bill of sale, he said I have 72 hours to transport but I dont need some paper temp plate??

JoFotoz
11/08/2008, 12:21 PM
If you are a AAA member..their offices will handle all the paperwork.

Inform your insurance company too...though some policies automatically cover this situation.

I do know people that have asked for a 'second' , lower bill of sale ..to pay less State Tax..:eek:

...but heaven forbid I would suggest this :p

jo

VX1032
11/08/2008, 12:24 PM
temp tag need is different by state. I used a dealer plate (yeah it was illegal) but I had access. If you can tow you can get around all of that.

You texas website, http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/vehicle_titles_and_registration/protect_buyers.htm
says you need to have the seller sign the Application for Texas Certificate of Title Form 130-U. Also for transit it requires the Vehicle Transit Permit since the tags won't be on.

4X4 UFO
11/08/2008, 07:38 PM
Lisa,
I bought my first VX from an owner who lived in Chicago. We did the title transfer at the local government office, and they issued (I think it cost $30) a temporary license tag to cover the vehicle while in Illinois (I think for 2 or 3 days, I don't remember), and I'm sure it would be honored by other states 'till you got your new VX home. By the way, congratulations on your new ride!

Randy

rowhard
11/08/2008, 07:39 PM
That's the nice thing about the UNITED states of American. Ever damn state is different

VXIRONwoMAN
11/08/2008, 09:34 PM
I got my VX from a guy who was still making payments on it in AZ to a bank in Colorado Springs. Yeah... I picked the most difficult Proton to get out of the bunch, but it's mine now. We typed up a contract between the two of us... Buying this VIN, make, model .... for $xx.xx ... and once the vehicle is safely/legally registered in (home state), and the title is in the hand of the buyer, the buyer will overnight the original plates to it's rightful owner. Or something to that extent. I drove the VX with his plates on until I received the title and registered it here in Chicago. I had the notarized contract to prove that I had just bought it and brought my insurance cards just in case. If you want something to refer to, I can email you a copy of the contract we wrote for mine.

I don't know how TX is on the plate matter... In Cali the plates stay with the car unless they are vanity plates. In IL, the plates go with the owner from vehicle to vehicle. If it's like IL, bring your old plates to play it safe.

Okay so the answers to your questions... Get a notarized note. It's cheap and will hold up in the court of law if necessary. I paid the sales tax in IL once I registered it here. It's the same in Cali, so I would assume it's the same for TX.

Any other questions, you know who to call.

Riff Raff
11/09/2008, 04:24 AM
Hi Lisa:

I bought my VX from Chicago, IL on E-Bay and had to have it transferred to Washington State. You don't need any license plates to transfer the vehicle from state-to-state. Remember, you are not transferring the plate; you are transferring the "VIN". All you need to bring to the DMV is a signed-off title from the seller with annotated mileage, and a bill of sale showing the date of sale, actual mileage, and purchase price (which will be used to calculate your local sales tax). What's important is the mileage, date of sale, and purchase price must identically match on both documents (signed off title & bill of sale). If they don't all match, you are asking for trouble and interregation by the DMV. In addition, don't try to be sly and have a lower than normal sale price on the bill of sale. All state DMV's are now hip to the sales tax trick on lower than normal vehicle values. In fact, the DMV computer software has built-in parameters for current car values, and will raise a flag if the value is intentionally too low on the bill of sale (more interregation). Your bill of sale should at least have the "minimum" fair market value of the VX in accordance with the Kelly Blue Book value guide. Lastly, pre-calculate your estimated local sales tax and bring that amount "in cash" (plus an extra cushion for misc fee's) to the DMV. Once everything is done, the DMV will re-issue new Texas license plates for your VX. You can visit your Texas Department of Licensing on the internet and/or visit a local DMV office if you have further questions. Bottom line-- the entries (sale date, sale price, & actual mileage) must "match" on both the signed-off title and the bill of sale; otherwise, prepare for interregation by DMV. Again, don't have a sly/bogus super-low sale price below fair market value on the bill of sale or you'll be asking for trouble. Best Regards, Riff Raff

VX crazy
11/09/2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone! I feel so stupid but I will call Texas DMV to find out if they will give me some temporary paper plates, the seller in Chicago said to bring my plate from my recked vx, which I guess should not be a problem since I will have both titles and bill of sale and just tell them its better than driving with no plates! The other issue was that all this is happening on a sunday....so not sure where there are notaries on sundays??? I will call this week and find out what Texas requires. I have the form seller needs to sign, the 330 form....And about the tax, here in Texas they do look at bill of sale, but you PAY off VIN # and milage to caculate fair market value, so I will be paying more tax...but they must have gotten wise with the people altering bill of sale price.

And we bring home my wrecked baby on friday.....that is going to be hard to see....and even harder to rip her stuff off to put on the new one!

thanks again yall!!

Ldub
11/09/2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I feel so stupid but I will call Texas DMV to find out if they will give me some temporary paper plates, the seller in Chicago said to bring my plate from my recked vx, which I guess should not be a problem since I will have both titles and bill of sale and just tell them its better than driving with no plates! The other issue was that all this is happening on a sunday....so not sure where there are notaries on sundays??? I will call this week and find out what Texas requires. I have the form seller needs to sign, the 330 form....And about the tax, here in Texas they do look at bill of sale, but you PAY off VIN # and milage to caculate fair market value, so I will be paying more tax...but they must have gotten wise with the people altering bill of sale price.

And we bring home my wrecked baby on friday.....that is going to be hard to see....and even harder to rip her stuff off to put on the new one!

thanks again yall!!

VERY HAPPY to see you bouncin' back into the saddle so soon Lisa...:thumbup:

As far as plates/registration...tahellwiddit...just get out there & DRIVE!...:smilewink

If ya get stopped...Ask forgiveness, not permission...:naughty:

VXIRONwoMAN
11/09/2008, 11:53 AM
After some research... I found a notary for you on Sunday. However, they close at 5pm. I can give you directions if you need it.

VX crazy
11/09/2008, 12:13 PM
Cece that would be great!!! Phone number too thanks so much!!!

nocturnalVX
11/09/2008, 12:18 PM
As far as plates/registration...tahellwiddit...just get out there & DRIVE!...:smilewink

If ya get stopped...Ask forgiveness, not permission...:naughty:

You rock Dub! I happen to know an "outlaw" biker that is using a plate assigned to a motorcycle he sold awhile ago. Before that he was riding with no plates, blowing through toll ways... How rude! :rolleyes:

Give the government their money when you get back to TX. The sticker on your old plates is bought and paid for... just transfer it to your new VX when you get home. See ya next week!

JoFotoz
11/09/2008, 12:22 PM
As long as youre insured , and you have the title signed over.....

...isnt a "fix it" ticket" the worse that can happen ?

Unless maybe youre "testing it out" at 100mph!:p

jo

Ldub
11/10/2008, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=nocturnalVX;138751] I happen to know an "outlaw" biker that is using a plate assigned to a motorcycle he sold awhile ago. Before that he was riding with no plates, blowing through toll ways... How rude! :rolleyes:[QUOTE]

Next time you see this troublemaker in the mirror...have Chi-Chi give him a good "talkin' to"...:smilewink

tom4bren
11/10/2008, 07:09 AM
Lisa,

Before you head up there, have the current owner look over the title VERY carefully. When I got mine from MO back to VA & headed to the DMV I found out that the title still listed a lien (it had been paid off for 3 years but never cleared from the title). It took several weeks to finally get the title signed over to me. Also contact your DMV for a mileage disclosure form for the seller to sign. The mileage was mis-stated on my title because the PO had re-titled from CA to MO & they messed it up. The only fix for that was that the title now states that the ODO reading is not representative of actual mileage (no biggie for me since I'll NEVER re-sell).

Insurance should not be an issue since IIRC it's Federal law that all insurance companies must insure purchased vehicles for 30 days to cover the registration process. Remember that it's illegal to insure or register something you don't own. So the process is Title, then insure, then register. In reality, it all happens in about 15 minutes while standing at the DMV window.

I doubt that you'll be able to get temp tags for the drive home (but then all states are different). Just run your old tags on the new ride till the title is transferred.

If you pay personal property taxes where you live, don't forget to check with them 30 days after the title is processed. When we bought our boat, I didn't & when the paperwork finally made it from DGIF to the County 2 years later, I had to pay taxes & fines for the whole 2 years (right at Christmas - ouch).

I drafted my own sales agreement that we both signed. Lemme know if you want me to email you a copy.