PDA

View Full Version : VehiCross High Mileage

me.hansen
11/06/2008, 07:51 PM
I'm looking to buy a VehiCross but wondered how many miles this thing will run for.

Could I expect to get 150k miles without any major repairs.

I've heard some good reports about high miles and extremely low maintainance. But need more actual proof.

Solitude
11/06/2008, 08:44 PM
might do a search on oil consumption

JGeorge264
11/06/2008, 08:52 PM
Mine has just shy of 157 k with nothing major.. typical window issues, egr needs cleaning once in a while and its thirsty for oil but all in all the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Joe Isuzu
11/07/2008, 04:50 AM
at 96k and no issues, yes, oil consumption is something for which you should be on the lookout, but otherwise, running fine
service is relatively cheap as well, at least with respect to my Audi's (imagine that...)

tom4bren
11/07/2008, 06:41 AM
That's a hard question to answer.

Pride of ownership tends to outweigh longevity here. The vast majority of the owners here tend to perform preventative maintenance at a much higher level on the VX than they do for their other toys so the VX's seem to be holding up quite well for the most part. Is the longevity because of it being a well built vehicle or because of the TLC???

There have been some seized engines, some trannys go TU, some ABS issues, some EGR issues - but I don't think that they are outside the 'norm'.

etlsport
11/07/2008, 06:58 AM
i got my vx at 39k

its now approaching 74k

its been to the dealership exactly once.. for an ABS light and a front bearing repack (which i could have done myself if necessary)

the abs issue was never resolved.. but im feeling motivated today so i may just take care of it today.. the dealership quoted me 3000 to replace the abs module.. i picked up a used module for a hundred bucks and will spend about 20 on brake fluid... time will tell how long it takes to do the install though

other than that.. i have had to replace my fuel pressure regulator, 1 headlight bulbs, 2 fog light bulbs a tail light bulb and 3 pcv valves probably 6 quarts of oil burned between changes

the only other issues ive had came from fixing what wasnt broken until it was broken:thumbup::thumbup:

tom4bren
11/07/2008, 07:02 AM
"the only other issues ive had came from fixing what wasnt broken until it was broken"

& the labor involved with sorting the thousands of pix taken of every turn of the wrench???:):):)

etlsport
11/07/2008, 07:07 AM
"the only other issues ive had came from fixing what wasnt broken until it was broken"

& the labor involved with sorting the thousands of pix taken of every turn of the wrench???:):):)

well..yea... that was a given.. :_confused

tom4bren
11/07/2008, 07:19 AM
It's just been a while since I 'rattled your cage':)

nfpgasmask
11/07/2008, 08:34 AM
I just rolled 80k. Everything is good, except for burning oil and a dead ABS (which does not bother me in the least). I have a diff seal leak which I am also shamefully ignoring at the moment and another weird issue that has existed since 35k but does not seem to cause any trouble. Other than that, she runs great and I hope to get to 150k myself.

If you are going to buy a VX, I would say you should be ok with one in the 80-90k range, just do not be hasty and maybe try to find once in stock condition. In a year or so there is a really good possibility I will pick up a second VX...I just can't imagine driving anything else really.

Bart

circmand
11/07/2008, 09:36 AM
axle seal mine has not required anything major

Joe Isuzu
11/07/2008, 10:41 AM
I forgot to add about the abs module, that tends to go bad on this particular vehicle too
I've seen some VX's that are dogs and then some that were really well cared for, to me, it seems this is more evident with VX's than most other cars
Due to some parts issues (trim pieces), I would spend the time to find the best condition VX you can find, even those aren't too expensive

kpaske
11/08/2008, 02:42 AM
I've got over 110k on mine and I've never done anything really major - just everything you would expect like the timing belt and other scheduled services, and a few unplanned issues like the windows and ABS. I think most vehicles nowadays can easily go to 200k if they're properly maintained, but if you really want something that's super "low maintenance" i suggest looking at diesels. My Jetta TDI gets an oil change every 10k, and needs very little else (except for that expensive tranny service every 40k grrrr!)

VCrossfan
11/08/2008, 04:51 AM
Got my VX at 70k and some change, It's clock is at 148k now. Pulled OEM shocks and installed Rancho 9000's, A couple battery's, 2 Fuel pumps ( I just installed a Bosch w/lifetime guarantee, spend alittle extra and get it ) Timing belt at 95k and water pump while I was in there (the original was ok, just alittle PM ) Tweak the right window track and lube both a few times a year, with no major mechanical issue's, I feel I contribute that to this forum and the knowledge of it's members for preventive maintenance issue's. Mainly running pure synthetic fluid everywhere possible which was one of the first things I did 5 years ago and have stuck with ever since.

Brian Drinks
11/14/2008, 09:02 AM
I bought mine with 75,000 miles on it in 2001 now iam at 130,00miles with no real problem,so far just the window issue,abs light on egr replacement still love like i just bought it peace.