PDA

View Full Version : Doing the new VX dance

sandwich
11/06/2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Everybody,
I just recently got the bug to get a VX after I bumped into one on a local classifieds site. It seems like it would be a decent vehicle for me, as I need something small/manageable for the city, something that won't be too sad if it gets scratched/bumped, something that handles highways well, and something that can manage an occasional off-road jaunt, as I mountain bike all summer long.

Anyways, I found one locally that seemed like a good deal and went to check it out last night. The owner has stated that he had maintenance regularly performed on the truck including timing belt at 65k, regular transmission fluid changes, and all scheduled maintenance. Right now the truck has over 90k miles on it, and seems to be in good shape. I didn't get a chance to drive it as it's currently waiting for a renewed registration.

I came away with a couple of questions though, so I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

1) There's a relatively big leak coming from under the hood. It appears to be coming from the steering pump/assembly/something. It was dark and all I had was a flashlight, so I tried my best to diagnose it but was only able to track it to the steering. The fluid was brown and seemed to be thin-not like oil and not like brake fluid. Is this a common problem? What could cause it and what's a likely fix (including cost)?

2) Certain corners seemed bouncier than others and worse than they should be. I know rancho and other shocks are readily available, but I love the stock piggyback dampers on the VX. Are these still available, and how much do they cost?

3) The owner said he was getting between 16.5-18 highway MPG. He has slightly larger tires than stock on the truck, but they aren't MT or offroad tires. Does this seem reasonable? Is there an easy way to boost MPG or does it seem possible that he miscalculated due to not recalibrating the odometer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. There's another one nearby that has lower miles but the dealership it's at appears to be run completely by unhelpful tools, so I'm hesitant to drive 50 miles to deal with people who can't figure out how to answer simple questions.

circmand
11/06/2008, 01:20 PM
for the rest I will let the more knowledgable answer

VehiGAZ
11/06/2008, 01:51 PM
1) Will need more info about the leak to offer any insight, but no - nothing should be leaking.

2) Stocks shocks are close to $500 each if you can still get them (not sure if they are available). Pretty much ALL OEM parts are extraordinarily expensive, now that Isuzu pulled out of the US market. We love our VX's, but you need to go into this with your eyes wide open - Isuzu support has vaporized in a practical sense. They will still get you parts if you need them - but they may take a month and the prices can get ridiculous. On the other hand, with so many Troppers and Amigos on the road, there are a LOT of aftermarket part supplies, which is kinda nice, because they are often cheaper than what Isuzu used to charge for OEM parts.

3) That mileage is range is great for combined driving with an emphasis on highway driving. If he has bigger than normal tires, then that number is an under-estimation of the average mileage. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear - the VX's mileage just ain't that good.

nfpgasmask
11/06/2008, 02:09 PM
Its hard to say about leak indeed, without more info/photos.

Personally, if you are serious about owning a VX, I would be patient, and keep looking. Test drive 2 or 3 so you can get the feel for the vehicle, and if you are really smart, be willing to travel for the right one. I got lucky, but I know many folks on here have bought VXes from states away, sometimes from across the country. It is well worth the extra effort and time to find the right one, imo.

The first step to your success is already done, that is, signing up with this forum! :thumbup:

A few points of advice:

1) Try to find one with the factory roof rack- they are VERY hard to get now
2) Try to find a 2001
3) Check the oil on every vehicle you drive, some VXes have an oil burning issue
4) Don't be afraid to ask us for help, find a local VX owner on here, meet up, talk tech and go for a ride!

Good luck,

Bart

SlowPro48
11/06/2008, 02:36 PM
Welcome aboard!

1) Sounds like power steering fluid but there's no way to tell from your description whether it would be something as cheap as replacing a leaky hose or as expensive as replacing the pump or power steering unit itself. Sorry - no way to answer this really.

2) Yes, the shocks are still available. The bad news is that one of the reasons they're still available is because they are outrageously expensive! Last time I checked they were $427 each but that was probably two years ago. They may have gone up since then. The good news is they can be rebuilt for a lot less than that.

3) Mileage sounds about right. On average, I get 17mpg. And that's fairly accurate. I've checked my speedo/odo with a GPS and it's only about 2% off at 70mph. The best I've gotten was a little over 21mpg but I had and egg taped to the bottom of my shoe for 2/3 of that tank. I probably could have eeked out another mpg or two but I just couldn't stand to drive that way any longer. The worst mileage was when I first got the VX. You have to realize I was coming from a ponderous 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck so the VX felt like a frisky little go-kart and that's the way I drove it - which earned me 11 mpg and two speeding tickets within the first month.

You really should drive a Vehicross before you buy one. They're not for everybody. The rough ride is probably the #1 complaint. Being a mountain biker, you're more used to the pounding than most though so you would probably be alright. Then you just have to deal with the #2 complaint which is lack of cup holders... :bgwg:

ScottinMA
11/06/2008, 04:33 PM
This doesn't sound good. Why would a timing belt be changed at 65K? 100K is timing belt change out unless something ridiculous is going on. Leaking fluids....I would keep my eyes open for a better VX. Just my opinion.

PK
11/06/2008, 04:56 PM
This doesn't sound good. Why would a timing belt be changed at 65K? 100K is timing belt change out unless something ridiculous is going on. Leaking fluids....I would keep my eyes open for a better VX. Just my opinion.

JDM timing belt change out is at 100,000 kilometres, which equates to around 62,500 miles.
Same timing belt in basically the same engine, so would have expected you guys to be changing belts around 65,000.

PK

ScottinMA
11/07/2008, 05:06 AM
JDM timing belt change out is at 100,000 kilometres, which equates to around 62,500 miles.
Same timing belt in basically the same engine, so would have expected you guys to be changing belts around 65,000.

PK

But your Isuzu Manual indicates the timing belt gets changed out at 100,000 miles.

nfpgasmask
11/07/2008, 08:27 AM
I am in full agreement that you should look for a better VX. There is no reason you should buy a vehicle of any kind with problems off the bat, unless you are getting a stellar deal and know how to fix a lot of stuff yourself.

There are PLENTY of VXes for sale, just take your time, and travel if necissary....but I think I already said that. :)

Bart