PDA

View Full Version : Headlight seals popping out

cooks 7
07/08/2003, 10:27 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the seals around the headlight popping out between the light and the hood. Whenever I go over 80 they start to pop out and i have to smooth them down. I don't think they were glued from the factory but i am considering glueing them down now.

Anybody else??????????

Vasha13
07/08/2003, 10:31 AM
Yes, many of us have had this problem. You can use the search feature to find specific threads but basically, take them in for warranty replacement or just glue them down yourself.

IsuZOOM
07/08/2003, 11:02 AM
My dealer used silicone adhesive to stick em back on - if they come off again, I'm getting new headlights :D

WormGod
07/08/2003, 11:11 AM
Mine just recently decided to fully come apart. I have put some clear adhesive on the small parts that came loose months ago, but the rest decided to come undone last week. I just cleaned the area and applied the clear adhesive to the rest of the seal.

If you are under warranty, I am sure taking it back in would be a solution, but I fear that the lights will just continue to do it with replacements. Probably an easier solution to spend the $5 and 10 minutes of your time to solve it. :luck:

paultvx
07/08/2003, 12:47 PM
It's a design flaw. If you get replacement headlights from the dealer, those new headlights will eventually do the same.

So your choice comes down to around $5 and 30 minutes or so of your time (remove front bumper and headlights if you have to) compared to weeks of waiting for your dealer to:1) tell you to just glue it, 2) argue with you before agreeing to glue it for you, 3) argue with you even more before finally agreeing to order new headlights... which takes a week to arrive.

AlaskaVX
07/08/2003, 12:52 PM
If I could get new headlights under warranty I would be extremely happy, Its only a matter of time before the plastic covers get really scratched up. If you can get new ones go for it! especially since it's free!

WormGod
07/08/2003, 01:06 PM
Just on a whim, does anyone have an idea of what a single headlight assembly costs? Mine are pretty chewed up after this past winter from sliding ice and all and a backup set might be a reasuring stockpile.

Vasha13
07/08/2003, 01:10 PM
My dealership said that they cost $375 a piece.

And they don't replace the whole headlight to fix the rubber gasket problem - they just order the rubber part behind, take it out, gouge your cladding, and put it back. Mine has been in twice for this.

paultvx
07/08/2003, 01:10 PM
Time is not free. Some of us don't have the luxury of parking our butts at the dealer's waiting room.

Scratched plastic cover is a easy sub $10 fix. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze plastic polish (blue plastic bottle with white cap) does the trick and it only takes a few minutes of buffing.

Both are simple low cost fixes. Going to the dealer and wasting time would cost me more.

cooks 7
07/08/2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the help, I'll just glue 'em. It's conforting (somehow) to know that others have had your problem.

WormGod
07/08/2003, 03:17 PM
I'll give the scratches a go with some buffing. Thanks for the tip. I think I actually have some plastic compound sitting in the billions worth of bottles in my garage.

Cptnmorgan
07/08/2003, 03:56 PM
Delaer replaced my whole headlight assemblies, but less than a year later I now have to glue them back on as I am now out of warranty......

The double sided sticky tape they use is CRAP!!!! Some all weather, clear silicone should hold up better.......

paultvx
07/08/2003, 09:55 PM
All purpose automotive adhesive... widely available. Comes in a squeeze tube. Clear and runny. Smells like rubber cement. Apply to seal and hold the seal in place with your fingers for a minute or so. That's all it takes to start to set. After that, just leave it alone to do its thing. Holds very well. Used it on the outer rubber weatherstrip around the rear gate which the dealer neglected to do when they replace the original ripped seal... that's why I'd rather not leave repairs to the dealer. They just don't pay enough attention to the details. One thing to remember is to not to apply too much of the adhesive to the seal. It'll be a bit messy if you do.

PWX1
07/10/2003, 09:40 AM
TRY 3M SUPER WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE- COMES IN BLACK SO CLEANUP IS EASIER-
HAVE USED IT TO REPAIR AND EVEN REBUILD RIPPED OR MISSING CHUNCKS OF WEATHERSTRIP ON AN OLDER ISUZU.
P.S.- ONLY A SUGGGESTION CAP