PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti intelligent all wheel drive

etlsport
11/05/2008, 07:45 PM
Intelligent All-Wheel Drive (AWD)

Mention All-Wheel Drive (AWD) and most people’s thoughts turn to rugged, mountainous terrain. In reality, AWD can be put to very good use in settings a lot closer to home. The Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system featured in the Infiniti FX is so advanced it can detect traction needs in most any condition you’re likely to encounter and react accordingly. Intelligent All-Wheel Drive constantly monitors road conditions and automatically shifts from All-Wheel Drive to rear-wheel drive, or anything in between, delivering performance and stability that adapts to most driving conditions.

hmm that sounds awfully familiar.. they are so excited about it.. we've had it since 99 :cool:

blacksambo
11/05/2008, 08:52 PM
'97, really!

Chopper
11/06/2008, 08:08 AM
Quattro changed everything:cool:

vt_maverick
11/06/2008, 08:46 AM
As if it really matters - I had an 05 FX AWD for awhile and I doubt the AWD even engaged once. Plus, when a vehicle costs 45-50K, who the heck wants to take it offroad anyway?!?

Scott Harness
11/06/2008, 09:43 AM

Yes!x2:cool:

etlsport
11/06/2008, 10:04 AM

what sets the quattro system apart from a normal awd from like.. subaru? or is it just cause its wrapped in an audi that makes it better

VX1032
11/06/2008, 12:33 PM
As a pure AWD I think Subie's is the best. You can run that thing without electronic controls since it has a viscus center diff. Also, with the front diff intergrated into the trans so you can have equal length front CV's, well, the thing is a work of simplicity in engineering. Whole drivetrain is a work of art if you ask me. Course I wouldn't want to do anything "hard" with it, but it is perfect for dirt roads and the street.

Chopper
11/06/2008, 05:11 PM
Couple of years later, Porsche took it even farther. The miracle drivelines are the new Mitsi in particular, and the Nissan to a lesser degree. Early Quattro wasn't better, it was the only not made for agricultural reasons. They showed the world the advantage of all four clawing for traction in the rally world, and very much, led the way for everyone else.

blacksambo
11/06/2008, 07:02 PM
I think what makes the Isuzu Torque-on-Demand system meaningfully different is the rear wheel bias. Said differently, it puts the torque where the traction would do the most good for cornering ability. When a vehicle accelerates out of the apex of a turn, all the monentum and weight shifts to the rear tires, and torque focused primarily on these weight bearing rear wheels makes all the diffrerence.

WormGod
11/07/2008, 07:54 AM
I have to agree with the Subie comment. I swore by my VX and TOD but when I got my WReX, I found myself confused. For a sporty little bugger, the Subie can handle rougher conditions with an amount of ease. Top that with speed and performance and it becomes quite the cross trainer. Though, I wouldn't pick one over the other since they are both fun for whatever the occasion calls for.

I at least now find myself in possession of a DD that I can drive in light snow conditions (since it's lowered) and a vehicle with higher clearance for deeper snow. And in perfect conditions, simply 2 extremely fun vehicles. :cool: