PDA

View Full Version : nitto grapplers

primvx
11/05/2008, 12:07 PM
just got my grapplers in and waiting on the tire shop to install them on my 99 ebony with 18" stock rims. I'll get some pics up tonite if its light enough . now its time for a little trim job while im waiting for the tire shop to call man these look big! oh there the 285/60/18. cant wait!!! cost me 182 at discount tire free shipping and 2 day delivery

Pepino
11/05/2008, 01:57 PM
i just installed mine same size and i didnt have to do any trimming at all, i am not lifted or anything, they look great and feel great!

VXGirlie01
11/05/2008, 03:32 PM
congrats! :rotate: ours are supposed to come in next week! we got ours from discount tire as well.

can't wait to see your pictures!

primvx
11/05/2008, 04:32 PM
They are on!!! and no trimming and no lifting and no rubbing. The tire shop was real skeptical about them fitting but i assured them they would.also it was the first vx they had ever seen.
The ride is 50% softer than the Geolander ht/s that were on and thats a good thing.I have Rancho 5000's and they are on the stiff side. As far as looks go they cant be beat! good mix of sports car with rugged off road.
could use just a little leveling with the torsion bars but not a must do. I like em!! to dark for good pics i'll get some later

MSHardeman
11/05/2008, 05:00 PM
How in the heck are you guys getting the 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers on with no lift and no trimming?:confused: When I had my Grapplers mounted I had to trim a small triangle of the cladding in front of the tire. Was your cladding already cut (does it come to a point in front of the tire)?
I'm just curious, but congrats on not having to trim and on picking a bitchin' tire.

WormGod
11/07/2008, 08:00 AM
Trimming happens. Same vehicle but some things make all the difference in the world. A previous alignment could have lifted or lowered the torsion, which will come into play for clearance. Even wheel size. In my case, I have 18x8.5 (off-0)wheels with the 285/60 Nittos and some pretty extensive cutting was necessary. On an otherwise stock/factory VX, this size should be pretty safe. Should be....

WiSDoM
12/19/2008, 04:30 PM
Hi guys

was thinking about a set myself. How are they in the deep snow and ice?

Pepino
12/19/2008, 04:41 PM
i just tried mine today in deep snow after a winter storm here in wisconsin, they are great! and in ice any tire is the same while breaking you wont get any traction at all, i love my terra grapplers

WiSDoM
12/19/2008, 04:49 PM
not so much concerned about the braking as i am the traction on say like going up a hill? or losing traction on icy roads. was thinking about maybe studded tires A/T or something. I know alot of people here have them. they look like a very nice tire. I just took off my yoko M/T+ after two years of use.would love to get another set of them in the spring but need something more safe this winter.

Ldub
12/19/2008, 07:27 PM
not so much concerned about the braking as i am the traction on say like going up a hill? or losing traction on icy roads. was thinking about maybe studded tires A/T or something. I know alot of people here have them. they look like a very nice tire. I just took off my yoko M/T+ after two years of use.would love to get another set of them in the spring but need something more safe this winter.

Just a little FYI from an old "tire guy"...
Most any tire can be studded, it's just a matter of drilling holes in the lugs & shooting in the studs.
If your tire dealer isn't equipped, or willing to think outside the box, look for an "OK Tire" retailer in your area...:_wrench:

Riff Raff
12/20/2008, 06:36 AM

WISDOM-- You should seriously look at the "General Tire AT2". They are an awesome A/T tire similiar to the BFG A/T tread pattern, weigh 10 lbs less per tire than the BFG's, and cost a lot cheaper. Plus the General Tire AT2 is Snowflake/Mountain approved for severe snow conditions and come already "pre-holed" for the installation of studs!!! If you're looking for a tire to be studded, then this is it. Check them out at the General Tire website, and they are also available at Discount Tire. Sweeeeet!!!

VXR
12/22/2008, 01:42 PM
99 ebony with 18" stock rims

:confused:

WiSDoM
12/22/2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks RIff Raff I will be looking into those. :)

Doomer
12/23/2008, 12:52 PM
Okay, I'm with VXR here. The 99 is "stock" with 16" rims. Nitto doesn't make ANY tires that fit the same as the stock 16" on the 99's. There are some that are taller, but I don't want to screw with speedo error and all that (the wifey does drive it some). Plus, the Nittos appear to be harder to get here in TX.
I am also looking at the Generals, having heard good things about them from some Jeep buds. Don't need any tires just yet, but probably get some this coming spring anyway.
I do like the looks of the Nittos and have heard lots of good about them as well.
Oh well.....
Robert

Knivx
12/23/2008, 03:13 PM
I have some 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine and they are great in the snow. I was plowed in last night (my vx is parked on the street) and this morning I popped right out. My parents house is up a hill as well and I get great grip going up. They grip in snowy/icy turns alot better than other tires i've had too (I despised my BFG a/t's i had on my wrangler). They seem to clear themselves really well for an all terrain too. All around great tire and a decent price. I'd recommend them to anyone needing a well performing A/T. Yet to test them in any snow 4wheeling though....

Knivx
12/23/2008, 03:15 PM
Oh and I got mine shipped to my door for free from discount tire making them easy for anybody to get. I think I paid $125 a tire where as tire shops wanted about $50 more per tire for them here in Idaho.

snowtrooper1966
12/23/2008, 09:32 PM
Just had a new set of claws intalled on the dragon. 185/60/18 Nitto Terras replacing the same that were on when I bought it last year. Nice to have now that were getting a few feet of snow a week!
Best,

Riff Raff
12/24/2008, 01:02 AM
Okay, I'm with VXR here. The 99 is "stock" with 16" rims. Nitto doesn't make ANY tires that fit the same as the stock 16" on the 99's. There are some that are taller, but I don't want to screw with speedo error and all that (the wifey does drive it some). Plus, the Nittos appear to be harder to get here in TX.
I am also looking at the Generals, having heard good things about them from some Jeep buds. Don't need any tires just yet, but probably get some this coming spring anyway.
I do like the looks of the Nittos and have heard lots of good about them as well.
Oh well.....
Robert

DOOMER--- For you, I would highly recommend tire size: P265/70R16. This specific size tire has an O.D. of 30.0" and weighs about only 44 lbs each (in the "P" series). You mentioned you didn't want to alter the speedo reading, so this size would be perfect as it's very close to the OEM diameter (O.D.). This specific size tire is available in both the Nitto Terra-Grappler (with tread depth of 13.1/32nds) & General Grabber AT2 (with tread depth of 17/32nds).

Please note that the General Grabber AT2 is both M+S and Snowflake/Mountain rated, plus it is already "pre-pinned" for studs (if desired). The Nitto Terra Grappler is only M+S rated (not Snowflake & no studs). In addition, the General Grabber AT2 has a whooping 17/32nds tread depth, which is unheard of in an A/T tire!!! Tread depths this deep are normally only found on M/T tires (not A/T).

When shopping for tires, try to stay clear of LT-series tires, as they are just way too damn heavy for the sporty VX. Rather, focus your search on P-series (aka: P-Metric) tires as they are normally 10 lbs less per tire than their heavy LT twin. Using P-series tires on the VX will greatly reduce "unsprung weight", and help maintain proper OEM launch, stopping, and MPG of the VX. Sweeeeet!!!

Doomer
12/24/2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the tip Riff-Raff. I have never owned a 4WD and listened to a couple of buds with Jeeps, but they do go "muddin'" a lot. My VX will probably see 95% street duty, with the off-roading being mostly Forestry trails in Arkansas and an occassional side trip exploring on a whim.
I have also considered the Yokohama GeoLander AT/S, but I like the looks of a more aggressive tire. I had good luck with the Yokos on my Mitsubishi Montero. Thanks for setting me straighT......Robert

MIDN USNA
12/27/2008, 11:26 AM
Im an assistant manager at a discount and run 285-60-18 cooper zeons. They are a less expensive alternative than the nitto and from my experience tend to get longer treadwear. No complaints here from my cheapo coopers!!!