PDA

View Full Version : Yes I did it and I like it alot!

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 07:44 AM
This thing is pretty cool!!! Just on time for Minnesota winters!
I love the seats and the color interior is different that any other car I’ve seen.
Now I understand why you guys fix up the Vehicross.

Ok hear we go asking questions already. Before purchasing the VX, I drove on a sandy road and all the TOD lights led up so that’s good. But what I am experiencing is when I am driving around and come to a stop, about 5 miles before a dead stop, I hear a clunk in the rear and the TOD dash lights switch to just the rear wheels. So the clunk happens when the system is switching some how. After taking off, when the cars shifts from 1st to 2nd just a second before it shifts to 2nd I hear a smooth clunk but not as hard as I hear it when going from 2nd to 1st . Man this is so hard to explain sorry English is my second language. … so what are you guys think

pbkid
11/04/2008, 07:49 AM
hmm, i would say that it doesnt seem to typical....

the little clunk from 1st to 2nd is not too big of a deal, sometimes all of ours shift a little hard...but you shouldnt hear clunking from the rear when decellerating (sp)...

maybe someone who knows some more about the technical stuff can chime in...

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 08:17 AM
Actually, what you described sounds totally normal to me. Normal in that if the VX has not had regular, COMPLETE tranny services done every 30k then you will start to here the clunk.

When you come to a stop, the VX will downshift and you will hear/feel a clunk. When I bought my VX, shifting up from 2nd to 3rd was harsch, even violent at times. I did a complete tranny service at that time, and kept up with it, and have not had any more harsch clunking at all.

I would say, since you just bought this VX and most likely do not know when or if the tranny has ever been properly serviced, its time to make friends with some local VX owners and get your tranny job done. It will cost you under $100 to do it yourself, and a Saturday of work, but it will make your VX that much healthier, and the clunking will be much, much better.

That's just my 2 cents...

Bart

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 08:49 AM
I am like 2 hours a way from the dealer so I will do it myself, just call the autopart store and they have the trans filter $40 buks and 9.1 quarts for trans oil I thing I will be good to go thanks guys

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 09:04 AM
I am like 2 hours a way from the dealer so I will do it myself, just call the autopart store and they have the trans filter $40 buks and 9.1 quarts for trans oil I thing I will be good to go thanks guys

Yup, its really not that hard. The sucky part is dropping the cross member that gives you access to the dropping the pan. Also, getting the fluid back up into the tranny is no fun, but with one of those $6 funnels with a valve and lid from Walmart, it's not hard. It takes 2 people, but the siphon method is WAY easier than trying to use one of those cheap hand pumps.

If I was you, I would switch to synthetic fluid like Mobile-1 or Royal Purple.

This is something you should also have:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

Let us know if you have any more questions!!!

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Bart

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 09:21 AM
you think is necesary to change the trans filter? or I just can change the fluid
Thanks for your help

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 09:29 AM
you think is necesary to change the trans filter? or I just can change the fluid Thanks for your help

Absolutely YES. ESPECIALLY if you do not know or think maybe it has never been done. Your filter may be original, clogged and it would most definitely help to replace it, clean your pan and magnet out, and refill your tranny with some nice, clean, new synthetic ATF.

Have you done any kind of work like this before? If not, let me know, I can break it down for you. Again, its not that hard. Just buy a 12 pack of beer for a buddy and get a helper for the day, and allow at least 4 hours, if not a whole free day to do the job. And I highly recommend the funnel with a lid and valve thingy you can find at Wally World right in same section as the trans fluid. You just need that and a length of clear tubing from the hardware store that you can attach to the end of the funnel. I can't remember if it was half inch or 3 quarter inch tubing.

I have done mine twice now. The first time, I used one of those little hand pumps. They work, but it was really messy and really difficult.

Also, iirc, I think you need a deep socket to reach all the bolts that hold the pan up.

Do a search and see if you can find the thread that has the full instuctions for this.

Bart

etlsport
11/04/2008, 09:29 AM
you might as well do the filter.. to get all of the fluid out i think you need to remove it anyway

also try greasing your drive shaft and changing out the fluid in your transfer case and both differentials they are all easy preventative maintenance that can help to reduce the noises you get on the road

here is a link to a video which shows the 3 fittings on the driveshaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaNXz-ty34

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 09:39 AM
Here is a good thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11343

I forgot another tip. When you get your tranny filter, it will come with a folded up cork gasket. Flatten the sucker out under a few heavy books for a few days, it will make your life a lot easier!!

Bart

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 10:16 AM
Very cool guys thanks alot I will do it soon and I will let you guys know. Also the font struts are leaking so would you recommend the rancho 9000 shocks?

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 10:21 AM
Very cool guys thanks alot I will do it soon and I will let you guys know. Also the font struts are leaking so would you recommend the rancho 9000 shocks?

Hmmm, don't know much about the shocks, but just curious, how many miles does your VX have?

Bart

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 11:10 AM
only 75k

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 11:17 AM
only 75k

Well, that's good, but there is also a possibility that you have gone 75k without any real trans service. I bought my VX is 26k, and I had HARD slamming of the gears even then, and when I drained my fluid the first time, it was like Hershey's syrup. After my initial trans service (fluid, filter, etc) my clunking went away and then I did another tranny service at about 60k and my fluid was still pinkish and didn't smell at all burnt like it did the first time around.

I think tranny service is something that is over looked by a lot of VX owners simply because it is kind of a pain in the butt to do. Also, I think a lot of shops opt to just drain and refill the fluid, and often times probably do not have the above procedure I posted and either over or under fill the tranny, which will also cause issues...

Bart

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 11:31 AM
Bart, you are right I am glad I am getting your help in this, thanks man!

Alex-

vcrossmn
11/04/2008, 11:35 AM
So when you fill the trans the car must be running?

VX1032
11/04/2008, 11:51 AM
If you bought the VX already, make sure you change your profile.

and when you are refilling, if you don't run the vehicle, all the old fluid won't get out and you will have some old stuff left in it.

You can always take is somewhere and have them "flush" it. It is what I do. it doesn't change the filter, but it will get all the dirty fluid out. it takes 14 qts versus the 9 to dump and fill.

nfpgasmask
11/04/2008, 01:20 PM
So when you fill the trans the car must be running?

Well, sorta. Basically, put in 4 or 5 quarts, then follow the procedure above. You can fill it most of the way with the engine off, but to check the fluid level after you fill you have to have the engine running, again, following the procedure above. I wanna say, last time I drained my fluid, dropped the pan, changed the filter and refilled it was about 5-6 quarts. Your transfer case you can also drain and fill, I think you will need 3-4 quarts for that. Either way, I would have 9-10 quarts of ATF on hand to do the job in full.

Bart

PS - Another trick I just remembered but it definitely requires a helper: With the pan dropped, clean and ready to put back up, you can dump 2 or 3 quarts into the pan while it is down, then slowly raise it up (carefully keeping it level) and put 'er in place. This way, you already have 2 or 3 quarts in there that you don't have to siphon or pump. :)

VehiGAZ
11/05/2008, 05:58 AM

Howdy, Noobie!

There has been much debate as to the best replacement shocks for the VX. I don't recall which are the adjustable Ranchos - the 9000 or 9500 - but they have gotten mostly good reviews. I myself chose the Bilsteins, and have been very happy with them, as has everyone else who has put them on. They come with a lifetime warranty, too.

(Can you tell I'm pushing one over the other yet? ;-)

vcrossmn
11/05/2008, 07:32 AM
Are the Bilsteins adjustable like the ranchos? I was checking some websites and some rancho shocks have 9 ways to be adjusted for quality ride wondering if that is a good thing for our vx's

Thanks for the tip

Alex

4X4 UFO
11/05/2008, 11:44 AM
The Bilsteins are not adjustable. They are almost as firm as the stock shocks. I believe others have commented that the firmest setting on the Ranchos is not as firm as the Bilsteins.

Randy

VehiGAZ
11/05/2008, 11:55 AM
What Randy said... although I do recall a couple of people saying that the Ranchos at the firmest setting were as stiff as the OEMs, but only at the firmest setting. I put the Bils on mine then met a local VXer for a comparison test. My (uncalibrated) butt told me that the Bils gave a ride about 96% as stiff and controlled as the OEMs.

4X4 UFO
11/05/2008, 01:04 PM
My butt is bound to be out of calibration, too, but 96% sounds about right! :)

vcrossmn
11/06/2008, 01:07 PM
Hey guys I just did the trans flash and when I did the transfer case I found out that the previous owner put gear oil instated of ATF. That’s to bad seams to shift a little better but the soft clunk still there between 2nd and 1st. I did my part I just order the ranchos 9000xl adjustable and I will let you guys know after installation. Thanks guys for helping out

nfpgasmask
11/06/2008, 01:43 PM
Hey guys I just did the trans flash and when I did the transfer case I found out that the previous owner put gear oil instated of ATF. That’s to bad seams to shift a little better but the soft clunk still there between 2nd and 1st. I did my part I just order the ranchos 9000xl adjustable and I will let you guys know after installation. Thanks guys for helping out

That's good. A soft clunk from 2nd to 3rd I would say is normal, at least for me. Mine clunks from 2nd to 3rd even more when in POWER mode.

Bart