PDA

View Full Version : Need a Part? Don't use PartsRequest.com!

vt_maverick
11/04/2008, 06:54 AM
Since VX and Isuzu parts in general are becoming more and more scarce, I figure a lot of us are searching for good places to find used parts. Last week I decided to try out a site called partrequest.com, which claims to send your request to a nationwide network of junkyards and used parts dealers who then contact you directly to let you know they have your part. The fee for the service is $3.99 for each part you request (I requested the rear seat cupholder from a Trooper), and they "guarantee" that they will refund your money if you don't find your part within three days.

It has now been five business days since I submitted the requests, and I have yet to receive an email from any junkyard confirming that they found my part. I have received three generic emails that were clearly autogenerated, since they read like "Congratulations, we have found your Need rear seat cupholder from 98-02 Isuzu Trooper". When I called two of the yards they confirmed they didn't have the part and that they had never even looked for it. The third yard said they are no longer working with partrequest.com but are still getting requests. This site is either ineffective or a complete scam. I tried to use their refund request link, but magically the web page doesn't work, and they don't provide any other means of contacting them besides a web form. No email address, no telephone number, non-functioning feedback forms - but strangely their payment pages work just fine. Thankfully it was only four bucks, but can you imagine how much money they're making nationwide if a few people try it each day?

Word to the wise... look elsewhere.

ZEUS
11/04/2008, 07:11 AM
I used Junkyarddog.com (http://www.junkyarddog.com/) It is free and I was contacted by two yards within a week regarding ABS speed sensors. One yard examined the sensor before shipping it and discovered it was a faulty part - my money was refunded immediately. Give it a shot!

pbkid
11/04/2008, 07:42 AM
ah, good advice, thanks for the heads up...

lasturbo
11/13/2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tip ZEUS! I just submitted a request and will see what happens!! :bwgr:

vt_maverick
11/14/2008, 07:33 AM
I tried junkyarddog two weeks ago and didn't get anything back either - but at least it was free.

vt_maverick
11/14/2008, 09:50 AM
Looked for this before but didn't see it... do we have anything like a comprehensive parts cross-reference guide? Something that would tell you at a glance that the dash is shared with XX-XX Rodeo, transmission shared with XX-XX Trooper, etc.? I've found those cross-references when I needed them by searching individual threads, but it takes time. Would be awesome if there was something out there already.