PDA

View Full Version : :( CV boot S.O.B. Make me so mad. Grrr...

taylorRichie
11/01/2008, 04:02 PM
Yep... Now the other side needs some CV boots. Must have a small tear because there isn't a ton of grease all over the inside of my wheel well...

But The side I already did does have a bunch of grease all over!!

It appears as though I didn't get the clamp on tight enough and it's leaking from the outside of the boot (toward the tire) [it's the passenger side lower boot].

I think I'll be able to take care of that one without a full dismantle. Just have to brake clean it really good, regrease it {Recomendations on Grease??} Then put it back together with a new clamp {Where can I get just a clamp/Band??}

Have we come to a consensus on what Boots are best :D With the white stuff coming any day I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the boots, what is recommended to prevent any major damage? I drive about 3 miles at a time. And figure I'll be driving maybe 25 miles a week.

garbage bags? Duct tape? Pray? ;)

JoFotoz
11/01/2008, 07:41 PM
I've had really good results with the McQuay-Norris brand.

Part # 66-8013 ...for the inner.
(Kragen Auto Parts...same as Checkers etc I believe)

Changed one right after lifting...its still good 4 years later.

Funnily enough...just changed the other side this weekend....

our rides are PMS'ing in sync :eek:

jo

Ldub
11/02/2008, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=taylorRichie;138166]
I think I'll be able to take care of that one without a full dismantle. Just have to brake clean it really good, regrease it {Recomendations on Grease??} Then put it back together with a new clamp {Where can I get just a clamp/Band??}[QUOTE]

You can get the bands, (pkg of a dozen) at Harbor Freight...:_wrench:

I'd look for CV grease at NAPA or some other auto parts store.

taylorRichie
11/02/2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Larry,

And Jo having yours boot survive 4 years is nothing ;) What is that like, 1200 miles :p

Now to find a shop to work in... The storm just hit :D YAY!

JoFotoz
11/02/2008, 05:38 PM
LMAO...:p:p

Jo having yours boot survive 4 years is nothing ;) What is that like, 1200 miles ?

Yea , about that...well maybe more like 7000...:eek:

It never occurred to me...:o

jo

tom4bren
11/02/2008, 06:25 PM
I've been running heavy duty zip ties on mine for a while now (temporary fix till I was sure I wouldn't be tearing into them again). The zip ties work pretty well but did have one come loose. As long as you get them tight, they'll be fine. Now that my diff's dropped, I'll probably go ahead & but on the metal bands.

Tom