PDA

View Full Version : Acetone: Fact or Fiction?

iamironman
10/30/2008, 07:34 PM
Several weeks ago I got some advice on using acetone here on the Forum... Well I decided to try it and I can attest to the fact that it does work!
I buy the acetone at Dollar General for (go figure) $1.00 @10oz bottle.
I use 7-8oz on 20-22gal and I've used it on 4 tankfuls so far and I went from 15-18 mpg city/highway to 17-21 mpg city/highway/
The last 4 tankfuls I average out to 20.2 gals @ fill-up.
This last tank was 98% highway driving.
The last tank was 20.8 gals @ $1.94 @ gal (here at a local supermarket chain called HEB here in Marble Falls Tx)
Conservatively, that's .4 cents added per gallon of gas cost-wise (someone please check my math).

I do see a more responsiveness... takes off a 'lil faster. On the high end, when going about 60mph and I really goose it, the surge and pop is incredibly higher than before I started using the acetone.

Let me know what y'all think... VROOOOOM!! ZOOOM!!

Thmstec
10/30/2008, 11:17 PM
I felt the same way, now the strange part happens when you don't use it for a couple tanks... and you still get the better (acetone infused) results :confused:

JHarris1385
10/31/2008, 06:24 AM
Another believer. I have been running on and off for about 5 months now. I only put 2oz per 10 gallons.

I have ultimately gone from 12mpg to my most recent tank of 322 miles with a 16.2 fill up. You do the math and I am not stock.

Bieredalsace
10/31/2008, 07:47 AM
Well acetone is a well known cleaner so it doesn't surprise me that maybe the acetone cleaned deposits in the fuel lines etc.
That would also explain why the improvements continued after the acetone was discontinued.
Now if it would help keep the "check engine" light off I'd buy stock in the company! (JK)

Joe Isuzu
10/31/2008, 10:48 AM
Are there any drawbacks from the miracle cure??
I can't imagine something so cheap having such positive results w/o some kind of drawback. Things like this don't exist, do they? :)

JHarris1385
10/31/2008, 10:54 AM
Sure does not only will it clean and add mpg but I honestly think I have better responsivness from it....Science backs all of the above.

Hotsauce
10/31/2008, 02:16 PM
Are you taking into account that we get better mileage in colder weather?

John C.

Thmstec
10/31/2008, 03:25 PM
Are you taking into account that we get better mileage in colder weather?

John C.

I thought it was worse in the winter:confused:

I thought the "winter" gasoline mix was worse for mileage. And I was under the belief that warm air coming into the intake was better for efficiency than cold air? Although I guess the A/C being off would help...

Hotsauce
10/31/2008, 04:16 PM
Cold air makes power, and LOTS of it.

Cold air is denser, and the cooler charge air temp makes for less detonation.

This is why we try to make cold air intakes for supercharged cars, and why intercooling a forced induction car makes sooo much more power.

This is also why cars run poorly at high altitudes.

John C.

VehiGAZ
11/01/2008, 07:30 AM

I thought the "winter" gasoline mix was worse for mileage. And I was under the belief that warm air coming into the intake was better for efficiency than cold air? Although I guess the A/C being off would help...

Optimum air temperature for engines is somewhere in the 50* - 70*F range, according to the former automotive engineers at Car & Driver. So you should get your best mileage then. Temps above or below that range should decrease mileage.

I am personally convinced that mileage goes down when it's really cold (like below freezing) - maybe because the cold air is slower to combust? I don't know... pure speculation on my part.

If you live in a state that has a different grade of fuel in the winter, that may be another cause of lower seasonal mileage, but I thought that the low-vapor-pressure fuels used in the summer in some areas decreased economy, and that the "normal" fuel used in the winter was better for fuel economy.

taylorRichie
11/01/2008, 09:11 AM
Cold air makes power, and LOTS of it.

Cold air is denser, and the cooler charge air temp makes for less detonation.

This is why we try to make cold air intakes for supercharged cars, and why intercooling a forced induction car makes sooo much more power.

This is also why cars run poorly at high altitudes.

John C.

More power doesn't equate to better mpgs... A Warm air intake is added to cars who are "Eco Modders"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake

Bieredalsace
11/01/2008, 12:01 PM
Are there any drawbacks from the miracle cure??
I can't imagine something so cheap having such positive results w/o some kind of drawback. Things like this don't exist, do they? :)

Acetone is also a solvent !! So for example if you had plastic fuel lines it would eat through them very fast.
If you have one of those see through plastic in-line gasoline filters I'd be very careful. Probably should replace it with a metal one.

So-CalVX
11/05/2008, 08:16 AM
Another believer. I have been running on and off for about 5 months now. I only put 2oz per 10 gallons.

I have ultimately gone from 12mpg to my most recent tank of 322 miles with a 16.2 fill up. You do the math and I am not stock.

ok... i cant seem to find a good measuring cup for the acetone.... is 4oz a1/4 cup... i cant find my paper here at work but i think that was what i discovered.... ??

Thmstec
11/05/2008, 09:30 AM
1/8 a cup is 1oz.
So for 4oz, 1/2 cup.

Always knew that Pharmaceutical tech license would come in handy :rolleyes:

JHarris1385
11/05/2008, 01:36 PM
I just use a shot glass.

Chopper
11/06/2008, 08:21 AM

Sounds like Smokey Eunick...he messed around with heating the aircharge till he died. Even convinced GM at one point...either Camaro or Fbird sported heated intake charge at least one year.....but that 750lb engine made way less than 200hp. What a lump! '70s and '80s....automotive "Dark Ages"