PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

XCross69
07/07/2003, 08:16 AM
Have any of you take-n your VX's to the dealer reguarding excessive oil consumption. I read about the VX for sale on ebay that had the engine replaced at like 50'ish thousand miles all under warranty. Mine does take oil too so I may have to visit the local dealer...any thoughts, input on this?

Tone
07/07/2003, 12:08 PM
Common / normal for our aluminum engine - use the search feature for other posts on this.

Cptnmorgan
07/07/2003, 05:30 PM
I just changed my oil last week and made a roundtrip from Ft. Worth, Texas to Denver, Colorado. Once I returned home I had to add about 3 quarts of oil ;eeky;

Guess i better get to the dealer:waab:

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/07/2003, 07:44 PM
I run Mobil 1 TriSynthetic 10W-30 most of the year
and 15W-50 when it is really hot. At most I've used
a half quart in 3,000 miles when my next oil change was due;
mostly use less than that....say a 1/4 quart. Most of my driving entails highway with very little city driving.

XCross69
07/08/2003, 04:59 AM
The VX owner I was talk-n with said that Isuzu, according to his dealer, had a bad batch of engines that had the ring-lands on the pistons manufactured wrong on the 3.5 engines that was used in the VX and also the Trooper... I assume this was in some of the 1999 models only... My question, if this was a problem why weren't they ever recalled??? I just don't think I should have to be add-n oil every so many miles on an SUV thats only a few years old!!

Andrey
07/08/2003, 06:13 AM
I have the same problem - have to add oil every once in a while (1999 Ironman) I use 10W30 Quaker State 4X4 semisynthetic. I was thinking that if I were to use Mobil it will be better but out of fellow members comments I see that they have the same issue using Mobil.
It seems that engine "consumes" more oil on highway.. but again maybe it is just an impression because in the city miles are accumulated slower then on the highway and speeds are lower.

Good concern - why Isuzu did not call back models which are affected by this to fix the problem. This SUV should not consume any oil !

VX crazy
07/08/2003, 06:19 AM
I had the same problem, but only using about 1 qt of oil between changes, I switched to Royal Purple synthetic 10w40 about 12k miles ago, and it has not used oil since!

autox-racer
07/08/2003, 08:23 AM
i use about 1qt / change also... i have been running mobil 1.

VX crazy - why would royal purple be any different on the consumption front? what weight were you running before?

VX crazy
07/08/2003, 08:48 AM
No clue why consumption would be different, I had been using Castrol syntec part synthetic 10w30 prior to that. Not sure what the change was.. because I still drive it like I stole it!

paultvx
07/08/2003, 01:05 PM
If you use synthetic oil, contact the manufacturer and see if the product you are using is based on Group 3 or Group 4 stock. If it's group 3, you're getting ripped off. It is not a full synthetic if it's based on group 3 stock. They do it to save cost while charging what they normally would for full synthetic.

There was a thread on this recently. Do a search and you should find it.

johnnyapollo
01/29/2004, 02:51 AM
I found this thread from posted on the E-Zoo-Zoo forum, about high oil consumption (thread is actually on automotiveforums.com):

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t130758.html

Seems it's a design issue with the 3.5L

-- John

AREA 51
01/29/2004, 06:12 AM
There was mention here or on a link that some engines had the oil control rings installed upside down at the factory.

The oil consumption monitoring at the dealer has them change and fill, then you have to bring it back like once a week for a month.

If They determine it's excessive (what is excessive in their eyes?) will they install a new block for free? What if they determine it's not excessive and your engine seizes or blows a rod 1000 miles after warranty expires? Will having the complaint on record along with the monitoring help in a court case?

Randy
01/29/2004, 07:38 AM
I have 144,000 miles now and use about half a quart between oil changes (every 5,000 miles). I have been using Penzoil 10W30 from "day one" and change the oil filter every time also.

Randy

AlaskaVX
01/29/2004, 09:41 AM
If you are burning oil it would be wise to check/clean your PCV and EGR :yes:

VXRaNgEr
01/29/2004, 10:05 AM
Last time I was at the Isuzu dealership I spoke to the service rep and she showed me a bulletin from Isuzu that said it is perfectly normal for these engines to burn oil as it is part of the design to keep all seals lubricated. It also says in the owner's manual that it is the owner's responsibility to check and top off the oil every other fuel fill-up. If it's in the manual, I'm guessing it's not a design flaw. There are other engines out there (VW 2.0, Wankel rotary) that burn oil as part of the design. Just my two cents.;Db;

zadam123
02/21/2004, 02:26 PM
I have the same problem and I bought a new car so i didnt have to worry about oil or things like that. As far a it being normal i dont remember seeing any comercials for any car that state " oil needs to be checked ever other fuel fill up". I guess they dont advertise that, i guess thats not a good selling point :mad:

O'well I still love this truck!

adam