PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem

vulcan
10/18/2008, 06:54 PM
trans when cold takes a long time to shift, summer or winter. rpms rev high before shifting. and on highway rpms are over 3000 at 45mph or higher.

Triathlete
10/18/2008, 08:44 PM
Have you checked the fluid level lately?

etlsport
10/19/2008, 09:09 AM
does it shift hard? if your shift indicators are wrong (putting you in 3rd gear instead of drive) you would have high rpms like that.... and the mode selector switch would be your culprit.. its pretty common on the VX

vulcan
11/05/2008, 07:45 PM
i live in buffalo grove,il does anyone know any reputable mechanics work on vx's and not give you the run-a-round?

Ldub
11/06/2008, 05:42 AM
I don't know how close you are to Chicago, but Nocturnal VX has recommended Espos garage, & I'm not 100% sure on the name...:sighwgray
PM him if the Chicago area is an option.

nfpgasmask
11/06/2008, 08:23 AM
I don't know how close you are to Chicago, but Nocturnal VX has recommended Espos garage, & I'm not 100% sure on the name...:sighwgray
PM him if the Chicago area is an option.

x2 on Espo's. His joint ain't far from Buffalo Grove and he serviced my VX before I made the drive from Chicago to Reno, and I am sure he is now both Gill and Cece's regular mech.

Espo's Auto Services‎
2345 N Neva Ave
Chicago, IL‎

About the trans, sounds like you definitely need to have it looked at by someone.

Bart

SlowPro48
11/06/2008, 08:57 AM
Does it shift OK after it's warmed up? Has it been acting like this all along or is this something new? Might be normal!

By design, upshifts are delayed and the torque converter clutch doesn't lock up when engine coolant temp is below 70C/158F. Helps the vehicle warm up quicker - which is very useful for passing EPA's LA4 emissions test (aka "the city test") but I don't care about all that environmental crap, I just like the way I get heat in a hurry in the winter.

Thank you EPA! ;)

etlsport
11/06/2008, 09:16 AM
Does it shift OK after it's warmed up? Has it been acting like this all along or is this something new? Might be normal!

By design, upshifts are delayed and the torque converter clutch doesn't lock up when engine coolant temp is below 70C/158F. Helps the vehicle warm up quicker - which is very useful for passing EPA's LA4 emissions test (aka "the city test") but I don't care about all that environmental crap, I just like the way I get heat in a hurry in the winter.

Thank you EPA! ;)

x2... i know when my water temp is below 150ish.. my vx does not like to shift.. i rev at 2500+ at 60mph and once up to temp its more like 2000-2200

johnnyapollo
11/06/2008, 11:30 AM
As an FYI, one of the symptoms of low tranny fluid is a shift delay when the engine is cold which goes away as the engine warms up. As the motor warms up the low levels start flowing and the shifting get easier. There are a few areas on the tranny that are prone to very slight leaks that are hard to detect without getting under it.

-- John

tom4bren
11/06/2008, 02:16 PM
Have you checked your winter mode switch?

When it's engaged, you start up in 2nd gear from a dead stop.

nfpgasmask
11/06/2008, 03:22 PM
Sounds like destiny to me:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=138535#post138535

Bart

H3_VX
09/18/2011, 11:55 AM
I am experiencing this sometimes. At start, I experience some delay in transmission shifting it appears. At the same time it feels as though the engine struggles for a few moments, but it seems as though its probably more transmisssion/shifting related. The 3.5L seems like a dog to begin with. But, It seeems to lessen the more I get underway. Should I also have the tranny flushed with some new fluid put in or is this a normal thing? JFYI, i'm at 78,000 and previous owner said she had no tranny work done yet. It just seems odd to me. My first vehicle I ever owned went 150,000 until I finally had the tranny flush done. I'm a procrastinator. LOL!

H3_VX
09/19/2011, 09:38 AM
self important bump! LOL!

atilla_the_fun
09/19/2011, 10:48 AM
Do not flush, do not flush, do not flush, do not flush (my opinion). Change the fluid and filter only. If the PO did no transmission work, all that flushing will do is remove all of that wonderful metallic/gear buildup that has been keeping the tranny from slipping. Its akin to the issues of using synthetic motor oil after a car has been run on normal oil for 100K miles, the synthetic does its job and removes gunk from the engine, but the gunk has been keeping the seals tight.

Try running with Power Mode enables, and see how that effects the shifting.

VXobsession
09/19/2011, 12:29 PM
I recently blew the seals in my tranny, lost most of the fluid, therefore making it slip and smoke. I had to pull a big Dodge out of a very deep and muddy ditch (loved every second of it since it was my fiance' that was stuck). I barely made it home after that. Lucky for me, my fiance' is a mechanic who specializes in transmissions.....and has the VX obsession too. Can't wait until my baby is back on the road....I feel like I've lost my child.

H3_VX
09/19/2011, 02:15 PM
Do not flush, do not flush, do not flush, do not flush (my opinion). Change the fluid and filter only. If the PO did no transmission work, all that flushing will do is remove all of that wonderful metallic/gear buildup that has been keeping the tranny from slipping. Its akin to the issues of using synthetic motor oil after a car has been run on normal oil for 100K miles, the synthetic does its job and removes gunk from the engine, but the gunk has been keeping the seals tight.

Try running with Power Mode enables, and see how that effects the shifting.

So your recommendation is to continue using regular oil and to just change the tranny fluid, because I was considering using royal purple synthetic oil and synthetic tranny fluid for next change. I'm ordering a k&n air filter also.

atilla_the_fun
09/19/2011, 02:55 PM
I'm running Shell 15W40, regular oil (its a diesel oil) and I've had no problems. I actually ran it through last Minneapolis winter, but I never ran the car if I knew that it was below -10F. I think that for this winter I will put in 10W30, and it will be allright. I've noticed no oil consumption at all with this oil @ 103K miles.

If you're burning oil, then by all means you can experiment by switching to synthetic. But, if you're happy with what you have now, you can consider staying with regular oil. Saying that, I use Mobile 1 oil filters in mine, I read that the higher quality filters give better oil pressure, which is something that may come in handy on our engine.

Come to think of it, the only issues I have with the Shell 15W40 is that they sell it in Gallons, and not the large 5 Quart bottles. Also, I do have some engine chatter from the high weight oil.

H3_VX
09/19/2011, 03:11 PM
I'm running Shell 15W40, regular oil (its a diesel oil) and I've had no problems. I actually ran it through last Minneapolis winter, but I never ran the car if I knew that it was below -10F. I think that for this winter I will put in 10W30, and it will be allright. I've noticed no oil consumption at all with this oil @ 103K miles.

If you're burning oil, then by all means you can experiment by switching to synthetic. But, if you're happy with what you have now, you can consider staying with regular oil. Saying that, I use Mobile 1 oil filters in mine, I read that the higher quality filters give better oil pressure, which is something that may come in handy on our engine.

Come to think of it, the only issues I have with the Shell 15W40 is that they sell it in Gallons, and not the large 5 Quart bottles. Also, I do have some engine chatter from the high weight oil.

Are there any forum members that have had problems after a tranny flush service?

I have also considered using zMax on the engine and in the fuel system.

Riff Raff
09/19/2011, 06:38 PM
does it shift hard? if your shift indicators are wrong (putting you in 3rd gear instead of drive) you would have high rpms like that.... and the mode selector switch would be your culprit.. its pretty common on the VX

x2. Make sure both your Power Mode & Winter Mode push-button switches are in the "OFF" (disengaged) position, and then take it out for a test drive again.

:luck:

Grif
09/19/2011, 06:56 PM
Just FWIW, my transmission guy said the same thing. If the history of transmission service is unknown or known to be neglected on a higher mileage vehicle, then its best not to flush. He said he would do it if I insisted, but would not take responsibility if it need a rebuild shortly thereafter. To his credit, he would have been the guy getting paid for the rebuild job anyways, so he potentially lost some paid shop-hours. All he does is transmissions, and is highly regarded.

Are there any forum members that have had problems after a tranny flush service?

I have also considered using zMax on the engine and in the fuel system.

H3_VX
09/19/2011, 07:05 PM
Just FWIW, my transmission guy said the same thing. If the history of transmission service is unknown or known to be neglected on a higher mileage vehicle, then its best not to flush. He said he would do it if I insisted, but would not take responsibility if it need a rebuild shortly thereafter. To his credit, he would have been the guy getting paid for the rebuild job anyways, so he potentially lost some paid shop-hours. All he does is transmissions, and is highly regarded.

ok, thanks for info. i've asked some other friends on different forums and they all say the same, not to flush, only to drain and refill. BTW, your avatar makes me want a kaiser. one day perhaps, one day. :bgwb::yesb:

Grif
09/19/2011, 08:47 PM
BTW, your avatar makes me want a kaiser. one day perhaps, one day. :bgwb::yesb:

Aww shucks... that lil ole pic? I just put it there for somthing to wear. lol

Just upped some others to my gallery. But this is WAY :ot:

Gussie2000
09/19/2011, 09:34 PM

I also use rotella shell in my horse,many car forums where i lurk into have good words about this oil,seems the best regular oil out there.

Since is a heavy viscosity graded oil you may consider using a lighter oil during the winter season

johnnyapollo
09/20/2011, 03:51 AM
The only problems I've had with a tranny flush is that the ends of the cooler hoses (where the machine hooks in) tend to get buggered and leak a bit. I'm looking for a replacement. Doing a full synth drain and fill next.

-- John

deermagnet
09/20/2011, 05:03 PM
H3, since the previous owner neglected the tranny for 78k miles, it could be just the tip of the iceberg. Assume everything else was neglected also. This is a partial hit list that others may add to as needed-

Change tranny fluid and strainer/filter
Change transfer case fluid (it's tranny fluid)
Change front and rear diffy fluids
Change motor oil and filter
Change power steering fluid (it's tranny fluid)
Change engine coolant
Replace radiator hoses and heater hoses
Flush and bleed brake fluid
Replace air filter
Replace PCV valve
Lube rear drive shaft components
Repack front wheel bearings
Replace fan belt
Align front end
Clean EGR valve and EGR intake tube
Clean MAF sensor
Replace fuel filter
Replace spark plugs

We'll add more later. :p

Mark Griffin

H3_VX
09/20/2011, 05:38 PM
H3, since the previous owner neglected the tranny for 78k miles, it could be just the tip of the iceberg. Assume everything else was neglected also. This is a partial hit list that others may add to as needed-

Change tranny fluid and strainer/filter
Change transfer case fluid
Change front and rear diffy fluids
Change motor oil and filter
Change power steering fluid
Change engine coolant
Replace radiator hoses and heater hoses
Flush and bleed brake fluid
Replace air filter
Replace PCV valve
Lube rear drive shaft components
Repack front wheel bearings
Replace fan belt
Align front end
Clean EGR valve and EGR intake tube
Clean MAF sensor
Replace fuel filter
Replace spark plugs

We'll add more later. :p

Mark Griffin

Thanks Mark, This is awesome. I know she had regular oil and filter service and had new rotors and pads installed along with brand new tires 2k miles ago, but thats it. I will get to work on everything else on your list. its a good starting point i suppose. next week i'll be bringing her to an isuzu dealer 75 minutes from me. one good thing, the oil level is unchanged since i took ownership.

what is egr valve and intake tube?
what is bleed brake fluid?

Thanks again helpful sir!!!!!!

deermagnet
09/20/2011, 05:48 PM
Brake fluid should be changed every five years or so. Bleeding and flushing is just when they pump a large amount of fluid thru the system and allow it run out at all four wheels eliminating all air from the system.

The EGR valve thing we do ourselves. It's on the pass side rear of the engine. It's easy to remove and clean. With the valve off, start the engine and spray LOTS of carb cleaner down the small tube that leads into the intake. Hit the throttle on the front of the engine by hand to keep it running as the cleaner pushes thru. You may get a check engine light for running the engine with the EGR valve off. Erase the code.

The #1 question on this page shows how to clean the EGR system-
http://www.isuzufaq.com (http://www.isuzufaq.com/)

Mark

deermagnet
09/20/2011, 06:14 PM
H3, I know what you said about another vehicle going 150K miles without tranny service, but that won't work with a VX. Please believe us, with a VX it's all about preventive maintenance. Ask me how I know. I have 255,000 miles behind the wheel of my VX as a daily driver. My VX is rock solid and as dependable as any VX out there. Word. :yesy:

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

H3_VX
09/21/2011, 06:12 AM
H3, I know what you said about another vehicle going 150K miles without tranny service, but that won't work with a VX. Please believe us, with a VX it's all about preventive maintenance. Ask me how I know? I have 255,000 miles behind the wheel of my VX as a daily driver. My VX is rock solid and as dependable as any VX out there. Word. :yesy:

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

you'll regret this post. LOL! i'll be emailing you ALL the time. :yesb::bgwb::yesb: