PDA

View Full Version : need help to know what made my overheat?

CoastieCosta567
10/16/2008, 12:14 PM
hey guys and gals, i need help to find out what made my engine over heat really bad, what happend was i was going up a sand dune and it bottomed out and i had it on 4wd low, and i was pressing the gas hard, then i realized the engine temp... gauge went up to almost all the way. then i reversed and gave it like 2 mins and the gauge went all the way back to normal. now what i'm thinking is, did it happend cuz the sand was hot and it was bottomed out and reving the engine to go up, did that made it over heat cuz there was no air cooling the engine from the bottom plus the hot sand? what you guys think? or is there something else i should worry about? Thanx guys. Oh by the way, i just moved to Corpus Christi Texas, so it's hot over here as well.

nfpgasmask
10/16/2008, 12:50 PM
So you just over heated? No damage to the engine, right? I think I over heated once climbing a hill. Some coolant boiled out of my radiator. But that was it. Nothing else ever happened. Do you have a scan guage? If so, what was your water temp up to?

Bart

CoastieCosta567
10/17/2008, 12:44 AM
dont have a scan gauge yet, but just over heated, nothing else.

etlsport
10/17/2008, 07:36 AM
how fast were you going? 4lo isnt meant for speeds above a crawl really.. id say like 20 mph max.. its a lot of load on your engine

VehiGAZ
10/17/2008, 08:15 AM
That's a pretty conservative limit, etlsport. I run in 4W-Low up to about 4000 rpms (~40-45 mph) every winter for extended periods of time (> 30 min) with no ill effects. Beyond 4k, it sounds so whiney that I think I'm about to destroy it!

Coastie, the heat and lack of motion may have caused your VX to overheat. Running at high rpms for extended periods of time will do that to any vehicle. Bring it to an oil change place and have them test your coolant - it may need replacing...

Good luck!

nfpgasmask
10/17/2008, 11:09 AM
dont have a scan gauge yet, but just over heated, nothing else.

So were you spewing vaporized coolant or just bubbling over? This is why I carry a fire extinguisher too!!

:) Bart

CoastieCosta567
10/18/2008, 08:20 PM
thanx guys, but i was just trying to go up small very soft sand sand dune, and only on 4L for only like 5 min's, but i know i reved it up pretty high, but i didn't put to much attention to how high. I also changed the coolent like maybe on 3k miles ago maybe less, i didn't see or smelled anything burnning even when i popped the hood opened. Oh I carry to fire ex's aswell, one in the back and the other behind the center consol between the to front seats. but anyways, i did see alittle of tranny fluid come out from the bottom, i have had some tranny fluid come out before only when i switch from 4H to 4L, do you guys think there something wrong there? the leak started after i had my tranny fluid flushed and replaced the gasket.