PDA

View Full Version : I must be getting old

tom4bren
10/10/2008, 07:19 AM
The old addage applies here:

"What I used to do all nite - now takes me all nite to do"

CSTYLES came over on Wednesday to help me install my new diff drop brackets. We started at 9AM & were still wrenchin at 8PM. We never did get it finished. We got as far as mounting the new brackets to the axel but when we jacked the axel back up, the green cup (CV outer race) hung up on the passenger side A-arm. There it sits. The young buck was ready to work on it all nite but I was tired - it was raining (light sprinkle actually) - I was tired - things were getting frustrating - I was tired ... you get the picture. Now I have a nice Proton sittin in the driveway with no front end on it. Nice.

OK, pity party over. The main reason for this thread (other than playing straight man for Zeus to take some cheap shots at me) is to offer a little advice for those that will be doing the diff drop eventually.

1. It can be done at home by your average shade tree mechanic.

2. Allow plenty of time - you may be able to do it in a day but it'll prolly take two. An extra pair of hands can be invaluable (thanks CSTYLES for picking up the diff from my chest after it fell on me)

3. Beg, buy, borrow or steal a pitman arm removal tool (looks like a bearing puller but doesn't flex). You will have to remove the steering linkage. Do not use a ball joint fork (tore the boot).

4. Have extra jacks & jackstands available - I recommend 4 stands and 2 jacks.

5. Make sure you have PB Blaster on hand & a long breaker bar - suspension bolts are tight.

6. A couple of prybars (wreckerbars) will be handy as well.

7. Wear disposable clothes - you'll be so dirty that you'll want to just throw them away (if you're dropping your diff, you prolly tore your CV boots & there's a nice coating of grease on EVERYTHING you touch)

8. USE THREADLOCK when replacing suspension bolts.

The good news is that we should have all of the kinks worked out on the bracket design by the time any of Y'all try it (weld lines smoothed where they need to be, notch cut for that pesky bolt head that got in the way, ...). I hope to also update the directions (from the Isuzu forum) with handy little details.

Zeus - dude, you coulda warned me about what I was getting myself into:)

BTW, even if you're not dropping your differential, check your fluid. Mine was almost empty.

nfpgasmask
10/10/2008, 08:23 AM
BTW, even if you're not dropping your differential, check your fluid. Mine was almost empty.

Are you saying your front pumpkin was almost empty of diff fluid? Do you have a seal seep like I do?

Bart

tom4bren
10/10/2008, 08:45 AM
Absolutely no signs of leakage. It didn't look like even a quart came out tho. I'll try to probe the drain before I refill tho (in case there was a clog) but when I pulled the axel, I didn't get much there either. I'm confident that it all came out.

I'll be checking it regular-like from now on tho & keep y'all posted on any loss.

ZEUS
10/10/2008, 10:43 AM
2 Days!? :p Please consider that when I got started I removed the front axle assembly and drove around in 2wd for several months while I collected parts. I simply put things back together one day. So for me, it was not a big deal because it was so broken up. USE THREADLOCK!

tom4bren
10/14/2008, 10:02 AM
Not to sound too much like a Nubie but - Use threadlock on what??? I didn't have anything trying to vibrate loose.

ZEUS
10/14/2008, 11:49 AM
Where the brackets bolt to the frame and where the brackets bolt to the axle housing. Mine loosened up after awhile.

tom4bren
10/14/2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Zues - added above.

Sincerely,

Thor

CSTYLES
10/18/2008, 12:35 PM
I'm dying to hear how it all came together. Tom is a good teacher, I took loads of pictures at every step and I can't wait to tackle the job. When I get my truck back up and running, maybe we should do another off-road trip.

tom4bren
10/20/2008, 06:29 AM
UPDATE:

I got so tired of seeing the Proton up on blocks in the driveway with no front end, I went out in the rain on Friday to put it all back together. OK - it was really wifey who was tired of seeing it & thumped my ears to prompt me to get'r done.

That CV outer race was really jammed against the A-arm on the passenger side. An air grinder with a cut off wheel trimmed that pesky A-arm just enough to clear the green cup. Everything went right into place after that. Driver's side is done but I still need to repack the inner CV on the passenger side & replace the LAST TORN CV BOOT I WILL EVER HAVE on the Proton.

The steering linkage was a pain in the arse to get back in place but it's done. BUT ... I messed up some threads on the passenger side stud where the smaller castle nut goes. Have you ever tried to find a M12x1.25 die? I couldn't find one so I'll be trying to fab a thread chaser out of a nut before the job is done.

OH, I almost forgot. I probed the drain & got a bunch more fluid out of the pumpkin. I prolly wasn't low at all.

My old brackets are at the welder now for the next set to be made.

The crossmember drop brackets came out very nice. I don't think I'll have any problem with it hanging down too low.

I painted the diff drop brackets and the crossmember Proton so as soon as it's all done (& cleaned up real pretty) I'll get some pix. The color contrast should be very helpful in seeing what needs to be done.

BTW - that steering linkage stud that has the threads dorked up - I tore the boot (dust cap???) as well. Guess what, you can't buy replacements. Do Not use a ball joint fork for that part, use a pitman arm puller. Luckly the guy at my local front end shop found an old spare that fits perfectly (just looks a little different). Since I got a replacement, I never called Merlin to see if he can get them.

AlaskaVX
10/20/2008, 04:52 PM
Where the brackets bolt to the frame and where the brackets bolt to the axle housing. Mine loosened up after awhile.

Same problem here, so yes, USE THREADLOCK!

tom4bren
10/21/2008, 08:32 AM
Done - now I just need to take some pix.:):):):):)

tom4bren
10/21/2008, 02:20 PM
How can I remember what I never knew????

LittleBeast
10/21/2008, 04:00 PM
How can I remember what I never knew????

Well then you would just have to learn what you never knew before you forget again...... or something like that ;)

LittleBeast
10/21/2008, 04:02 PM
Same problem here, so yes, USE THREADLOCK!

Dude, AlaskaVX what has it been like 3 months or so? Good to see you still around.

tom4bren
10/22/2008, 06:58 AM
"Well then you would just have to learn what you never knew before you forget again...... or something like that"

I tried to remember what I forgot but then I forgot to remember what I didn't know so now I just assume that I knew but then forgot so just learn it all over again ... wait ... what were we talking about?

I forgot.

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 06:34 AM
I finally snapped some pix last nite (first day this week I've gotten home before dark). I'll only post one here in the thread - the rest are in my gallery.

I ain't never gonna figger out this 'thread picture postin' thing. You'll just have to live with the thumbnail here & go to my gallery for the higher res pic. Sorry.

tom4bren
11/03/2008, 11:26 AM
This is what we had to do to the crossmember drops for CSTYLES (his was OEM, mine was aftermarket - Calmini I think). The next set will mount inside the crossmember (not an option on the Calmini).

We ran into some problems with his install. I'll post later when I figure out the right terminology (we basically toasted his steering center link). The work-around that he came up with tho was actually easier than the straight forward approach.