PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer?

craigmm
10/09/2008, 01:48 PM
Alright, I am been attempting to manually turn my engine to break it loose. What I have been told is to hook a breaker bar to the harmonic balancer. So I did just that, at least I think it is the harmonic balancer, I hooked a 15/16 socket and breaker bar up to it and went to work. I broke it loose to the left but then the bolt or whatever just unscrewed, that didn't seem right. I then proceeded to go right in which I broke my socket, it was an old socket and unfortunately wasn't craftsman like my breaker bar. So here I am. I first would like to know where exactly the Vehicross harmonic balancer is. What I think it is is straight down between the engine and the radiator amidst all the pulleys in front. If that is right please give me a heads up, and some tips. If that is not it, please point me in the right direction, I know some vehicles don't have harmonic balancers. Remember my ultimate goal here is to manually turn my engine. Thank for all your help, you guys are great.

Ldub
10/09/2008, 05:29 PM
Alright, I am been attempting to manually turn my engine to break it loose. What I have been told is to hook a breaker bar to the harmonic balancer. So I did just that, at least I think it is the harmonic balancer, I hooked a 15/16 socket and breaker bar up to it and went to work. I broke it loose to the left but then the bolt or whatever just unscrewed, that didn't seem right. I then proceeded to go right in which I broke my socket, it was an old socket and unfortunately wasn't craftsman like my breaker bar. So here I am. I first would like to know where exactly the Vehicross harmonic balancer is. What I think it is is straight down between the engine and the radiator amidst all the pulleys in front. If that is right please give me a heads up, and some tips. If that is not it, please point me in the right direction, I know some vehicles don't have harmonic balancers. Remember my ultimate goal here is to manually turn my engine. Thank for all your help, you guys are great.

There it is!...:_wrench:

Also, might be a good idea to use METRIC sockets...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/00000_2.JPG

tom4bren
10/10/2008, 06:44 AM
So he was right & was crankin on the HB (#1 in your image). But it should be noted that the image shows the breaker on what looks like a tensioner pully (#3).

Before you continue to try to manually turn your engine - why is it seized? Did it sieze because something broke deep down inside or did you replace the timing belt & now it won't turn? Either way, it's not a good idea to force it to turn. Remember that our engine is an interference engine so if you have a valve open & the piston reaches top dead center - DAMAGE!!!

Ldub
10/10/2008, 03:16 PM
So he was right & was crankin on the HB (#1 in your image). But it should be noted that the image shows the breaker on what looks like a tensioner pully (#3).

Before you continue to try to manually turn your engine - why is it seized? Did it sieze because something broke deep down inside or did you replace the timing belt & now it won't turn? Either way, it's not a good idea to force it to turn. Remember that our engine is an interference engine so if you have a valve open & the piston reaches top dead center - DAMAGE!!!

That's why I put a circle AND arrow to indicate the crank/HB...:_wrench:

[QUOTE]
Tone
Site Supporter Former '99 Blown Ebony
Austin, TX US

I was wrong when I posted yesterday the 6VE1 was an Interference engine. I've checked with about a dozen engine publications online and they all agree concur it is a NON INTERFERENCE engine (most older Isuzu's were interference), except this site: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...ming_belt3.htm [QUOTE]

Where did you get this info?
I've read in many previous posts that the 6VE1 is non-interference...:_confused

I'm not sayin' you're wrong, I would just like to know the source, for my own piece of mind.:smilewink

tom4bren
10/22/2008, 12:44 PM
Thank you - thank you - thank you Larry for pointing out that I'm WRONG. Yes, that comment is dripping with sarcasm.:):):)

Actually in my defense, I was quoting you on the interference thing.

Ldub
10/22/2008, 04:32 PM
Thank you - thank you - thank you Larry for pointing out that I'm WRONG. Yes, that comment is dripping with sarcasm.:):):)

Actually in my defense, I was quoting you on the interference thing.

I'm a HUGE fan of sarcasm too.:cool:

Dood you're taking this way too seriously...:rotate:

But I'm glad you put a smiley after that anyway...:thumbup:

Please produce the quote you're referencing...I can eat crow with the best of em', & am given the opprotunity on a regular basis.:smilewink

tom4bren
10/23/2008, 12:10 PM
Naw - that'd be too much work. I'll just take the fall on this one.:)

All,

I was wrong, Dub was right:eek:

I feel all better now.

BTW - I never take myself too seriously - neither should you.