PDA

View Full Version : Selfish Fallout3 plug

WormGod
10/09/2008, 10:41 AM
Fallout 3 has officially gone GOLD. Will be on shelves Oct. 28th (US) for 360, PS3, and PC.

Announcement (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/pr-100908.php)

Would love to try to get a heavily discounted group buy for everyone here but it looks like it's gonna be tough with the demand on retail and pre-orders. I will keep you all posted if I get some luck in that dept.

Thmstec
10/09/2008, 04:29 PM
What a shameless plug! :rolleyes:

But a discount would be very cool.:cool:

In any case-- looking forward to the game, it looks to be very good. ;Dy;

Hotsauce
10/09/2008, 04:36 PM
I still have the original game.

Wasteland

John C.

Knigh7s
10/09/2008, 04:58 PM
YEAH!!!! Cant wait! I'm down for a group buy if possible!

mdwyer
10/09/2008, 06:27 PM
Fallout 3 has officially gone GOLD. Will be on shelves Oct. 28th (US) for 360, PS3, and PC.

Who is publishing it? Or more precisely, will its copy protection make my computer cry?

phines
10/09/2008, 08:43 PM

So, which version do you recommend? Since it's available for both consoles, is it safe to assume that the PS3 version won't be much better than the 360, if at all?

I know I should just update my PC and go that route but too many of my friends are on the consoles now... :rolleyes:
________
Sex Advice Dicussion (http://www.love-help.org/sex-advice/)

phines
10/09/2008, 08:46 PM
Who is publishing it? Or more precisely, will its copy protection make my computer cry?

I know you aren't asking if you can steal a game that a fellow VX'er and his team spent tens of thousands of hours developing, are you? ;)
________
Armenian Recipes (http://www.cooking-chef.com/armenian/)

Whaleboy
10/09/2008, 10:51 PM
might have to call the siia! :P

kodiak
10/10/2008, 12:02 AM
That’s a game I’ll pay full price for.:cool:
So is there any VX Easter eggs in there Gary?

PS: The PC version is always better. :p

WormGod
10/10/2008, 07:56 AM
I like to mess with the mods that fans put out so it gets a lot of longevity there. So, that's a vote for long game life on PC.

I also like parking my arse on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table, so playing on 360 is also a huge advantage for comfort, heh.

PS3.... I dunno. Don't owned one and honestly never played a game on one. Hell, I don't even know if I know where the power button is on one, heh.

I am not aware of any computer eating DRM on the PC version. Copy protection is probably not much different than Oblivion's was, though I wouldn't quote me on that. I think I have read some previews already that stated that, compared to other games out there that ran people through the gauntlet of DRMs, Fallout3 was a happy medium in comparison. Don't think I would worry there.

Sadly, it looks like a 360 version slipped the cracks too. I don't know the whole story, but my only guess would be that a press-reviewer's copy fell into loose hands and they managed to strip it and torrent it. So folks with the know-how are dl'ing an ISO and slapping it on disk to play on their modded 360 (I think the word was that it had to be modded, not 100% sure). regardless, and this is s funny story, yesterday, someone was playing it and realtime streaming. A couple of us were watching it online here and wouldnt ya know it.... the numbnut opened his dash blade and BOOYAH, we got his Live name, hahahaha. The intelligence level of petty crooks just isn't as romantic as it used to be. :bwgy:

Ya, I'll keep my ears open for copies and prices in hopes of putting a group buy together. Been getting harder to do lately, but it's always worth a try.

mdwyer
10/10/2008, 08:58 AM
I know you aren't asking if you can steal a game that a fellow VX'er and his team spent tens of thousands of hours developing, are you? ;)

Oh, no. Hell no! I've got my white hat firmly screwed on. But I've also got my Consumerist hat screwed on. I won't support an industry that treats me like a criminal.

For instance, I loved the SystemShock series of games. They make amazing worlds, and so I was thrilled to see them back with BioShock. But I simply could not give my money to them when they insisted on taking away my rights. In that case, it was the right to run Microsoft's Process Monitor.

So, I never bought BioShock. I never stole it, either. It is one thing to screw over EA. It is another thing entirely to screw over the developers, who did nothing wrong and everything right. I'll buy BioShock in an instant once the DRM is replaced.

I think I probably will buy Fallout3. My friends have told me that the previous games were a riot, and Bethesda apparently has an enlightened view of their customers.

Besides... I'd be supporting someone who is keeping a VX out of the junkyard. :)

I know I'm only one person, but I hope the message gets to the video game companies -- all the media companies: I want your product. I'll pay you for your product. All you need to do is deliver a good product.

ISCE
10/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Awesome! Congrats Gary, I am sure it's nice to have gone gold.

What are you working on next?

kodiak
10/10/2008, 03:34 PM
might have to call the siia! :P

Is Aliens going to have a Bata test run? If it is let us know, I’d like to sign up!

EA has a bad habit of hijacking your system. BFME II was the worst for that. If you didn’t have fresh unmodified install of windows it didn’t work. They’ve lightened up since then. Sales for the game dropped because no one could get it to work. The copy protection ruined a very good game.

PS: Fallout 3 is going to rock!

mdwyer
10/11/2008, 09:23 PM
For instance, I loved the SystemShock series of games. They make amazing worlds, and so I was thrilled to see them back with BioShock. But I simply could not give my money to them when they insisted on taking away my rights. In that case, it was the right to run Microsoft's Process Monitor.

So, I never bought BioShock. I never stole it, either. It is one thing to screw over EA. It is another thing entirely to screw over the developers, who did nothing wrong and everything right. I'll buy BioShock in an instant once the DRM is replaced.

For the record, today I made good on that promise. 2K removed SecuROM from the Steam installs a while back but didn't really make a big deal about it. The DRM is gone, the game is still interesting, so today I bought it.

The devs still lost, though: I bought it for $20 instead of the $50 it was going for when it was shiny and new. Well, if any of their devs end up in my area, I'll buy 'em a beer.

Now I've got something to keep me amused untill Fallout3 comes out. :)

twistedsymphony
10/12/2008, 11:19 AM
I've already got the collectors Edition Pre-Ordered for the Xbox 360...

This is probably one of my most anticipated games of the year.... and I play a lot of games... like a LOT of games. :p

by last count I had 106 games in my 360 collection alone. :rolleyes:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/collection1008.jpg

Bioshock is amazing though... That's easily one of my favorite current generation games so far...

As for the whole DRM thing, I completely agree. I loath DRM and it's the reason I refuse to buy DRM music or even most PC games.

I used to play mainly on PC but
Wasting time installing and configuring things, buggy software that made me wait for a patch before I could enjoy the game I bought, constant expensive upgrades to the hardware, DRM, and generally being much more comfortable on a couch than at my computer led me to switch to consoles exclusively about 7 years ago.. I don't miss PC gaming one bit.

oh and WormGod, if you're ever interested in how hacked consoles work let me know. I'm a staff member on Xbox-Scene and while I've never modified a Xbox 360 to play pirated games, I'm familiar with the process, and the how any why it works. ;)

LittleBeast
10/12/2008, 09:29 PM
100 xbox360 games x $40 (minimum each) = $4000?????

Wow, you should consider eBaying them off, there is no way you will still play all of them right? I just recently got a ton of money for my Dreamcast collection on eBay, just a thought.

So the chances are pretty slim that we will have a group buy for the PS3 Fallout3? With the BluRay player (HDMI), Blutooth, wireless internet, and free of charge online play, I still think in the long run the PS3 will come out the better choice for most people.

WormGod
10/13/2008, 08:43 AM
Is Aliens going to have a Bata test run? If it is let us know, I’d like to sign up!
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Ya, Brian and Gearbox have their hands on an awesome franchise. I am a huge Aliens fanboy and I would probably die of a coronary explosion were that IP laid on my desk. Totally looking forward to the few Aliens IP titles announced for the future.

Still no word on a group buy. Things are slow here with so many people taking extended vacations and such now. That's both good and bad, I guess, heh.

And nah, can't say what is next in the pipeline for me here. There is a LOT planned and so far, I have been playing a part in it all. Good stuff but no announcements will be made for a while I imagine.

VCAMILO
10/13/2008, 09:03 AM
Bought COD4 for PS3 10 months ago and its the ONLY game I play daily. Is this sick or what?

LittleBeast
10/13/2008, 10:07 AM
Bought COD4 for PS3 10 months ago and its the ONLY game I play daily. Is this sick or what?

Yeah I went through that phase with COD4, but I still am loving Warhawk more than ever! If you have the patience to make it through the enormous learning curve of Warhawk, wow is it a great game. Once you are good at it, Warhawk is my favorite online game, and I have played all kinds..... Oh and I am Decat on PSN if you ever see me on there, COD4 is a great game though.

twistedsymphony
10/13/2008, 12:30 PM
100 xbox360 games x $40 (minimum each) = $4000?????

Wow, you should consider eBaying them off, there is no way you will still play all of them right? I just recently got a ton of money for my Dreamcast collection on eBay, just a thought.

My Dreamcast Collection was about 3 times larger than my Xbox 360 collection :rolleyes: I did sell most of that one off though.

Any game that's a collector's edition or special edition I keep with little intention of selling. probably about 1/2 of my collection is games that I paid less than $15 for off the discount rack or used. That and I've owned the 360 since it launched in 05. Still expensive but not as bad :P

And Wormgod... if you want a quick way to see whos playing pirate copies of your game...

Most of these people can't help but SHOW OFF:
http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?gt=&g=593&z=&c=&x=74&y=2

^1991 Xbox Live users have been tracked playing the game (supposedly some of them are reviewers or testers but I'd be willing to bet 99% of them AREN'T) :cool:

kodiak
10/13/2008, 04:44 PM
I’ve played thru just about every Aliens game made, the good and the bad. This one looks pretty good. It looks like they used the doom 3 or unreal engine. Ether way I’m looking forward to it.

Hopefully I’ll be sick of Fallout 3 by then.;)

WormGod
10/14/2008, 07:27 AM
Ya, quite a bit of them would be reviewers, though NONE should be testers. I think the hunt has since been turned over to suits in dark glasses or something, so I could care less. Oh, and just FYI.... some have been caught and "dealt with rather severely". Considering MS is the mommy of the 360, THEY deal with them. According to the last guy I heard about.... he is going to feel the consequences for the rest of his life. :eek: ;)

mdwyer
10/14/2008, 09:38 AM
I’ve played thru just about every Aliens game made, the good and the bad.

Even the one on the Commodore 64? That one was coooool. :D

kodiak
10/14/2008, 09:52 AM
LOL! No never played that one. I was in to Amiga’s by the time that came out for the c64.

Even the one on the Commodore 64? That one was coooool. :D

kodiak
10/25/2008, 05:23 PM
Lol!! I just watched the x-play fallout 3 special. Looks awesome, can’t wait to play it.:p

kpaske
10/25/2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, really awesome graphics in that one, Gary. I'm still waiting for my 2008 Holiday Bundle to arrive (comes with Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda... woohoo! ;Db;) but I'd probably be interested in the group buy if you can make that happen. In fact, I may know a few people if you need to meet a minimum volume.

Twistedsymphony - you have quite the collection going there! So what's the deal with the hacked consoles? In order to play pirated games you have to modify the hardware? Doesn't that void your warranty?

Hotsauce
10/26/2008, 06:34 AM
Any of the original concept art for sale?

John C.

WormGod
10/27/2008, 08:19 AM
Not that many live nearby here in MD, but for those that do, I will be at the Best Buy in Rockville (Rockville Pike) tonight somewhere between 9 - midnight for a midnight release of Fallout3 with DC101 and press. Weather allowing (I am a wimp in the cold), I hope to be around the whole time.

Kinda wishing I drove the VX, heh.... :cool:

LittleBeast
10/30/2008, 07:47 PM
IGN gave Fallout 3 an amazing review well done!!!!! I can't wait to get a copy for the PS3.

kodiak
10/30/2008, 08:11 PM
Editor’s Choice, Gamespot.com! Good job, I’ll be picking up a copy hopefully tomorrow.:p

kpaske
10/30/2008, 08:14 PM
Oh, that woulda been cool... meet a fellow VXer, game dev, and the DC101 crew. Too bad I'm on the other side of the country now. I grew up in the MD/DC area (bought my VX in Gaithersburg), but I've been in the Seattle area for about 6 years now.

WormGod
10/31/2008, 07:23 AM
Ya, reviews are generally pretty good but a few are popping up that pop some negative marks. Lots of folks (and most of the not so great reviews it seems) are approaching it like it's an FPS and comparing game mechanics to games like Halo and COD. :confused: TOTALLY different kind of game.

kpaske, you should have made the long road trip. Was a good time, even if it was wet and cold. Great turn out. Thank God that Best Buy has a parking garage because once the line under the tent got too long, it continued through the parking garage to keep everyone out of the rain, heh.

Oh, and my boss's wife, Lynda Carter came by. Always a joy hanging out with Wonder Woman. :bwgy: Lots of fanboy jaw dropping going on.

Got some feedback about a group buy but it looks bleak. I can get very discounted copies but in extremely limited quantity (3, and that about covers my nephews). That may change later, but it's a waiting game. :(

kodiak
10/31/2008, 08:00 AM
People that have played games like Morrowind and Oblivion should get the game play right away, from what I understand.
Hopefully I’ll have a copy today so I can give you a review first hand.;)

Lynda Carter, now that’s cool. :thumbup:

kodiak
11/04/2008, 07:27 AM
I didn’t get a chance to pick up a copy this weekend. I have 2 friends that have been playing it non stop all weekend and they love it. Hopefully I’ll have a copy soon.;wtf;

nfpgasmask
11/19/2008, 08:46 AM
You know, I have stayed away from this thread entirely because I know my PC is probably not going to be able to run this game like it should be run, but man, I saw some screen shots the other day and it looks freakin sweet. I need to invest in a new PC!

Bart

LittleBeast
11/19/2008, 10:02 AM
You know, I have stayed away from this thread entirely because I know my PC is probably not going to be able to run this game like it should be run, but man, I saw some screen shots the other day and it looks freakin sweet. I need to invest in a new PC!

Bart

Or just buy a BluRay player (PS3) and have the best of both worlds :)

nfpgasmask
11/19/2008, 10:22 AM
Or just buy a BluRay player (PS3) and have the best of both worlds :)

I have a PS3, but I am just not so keen on these types of games on the console...its all about keyboard and mouse. If you could hook a keyboard and mouse up to a PS3 I would have bought it already!

:) Bart

kodiak
11/19/2008, 10:31 AM
It might not be too bad on a console. It’s 3rd person and a rpg, it could work.:rolleyes:

I have a PS3, but I am just not so keen on these types of games on the console...its all about keyboard and mouse. If you could hook a keyboard and mouse up to a PS3 I would have bought it already!

Ldub
11/19/2008, 10:50 AM

Dude...you CAN, if the game supports keyboard/mouse functionality...:smilewink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjCxwMsE7I

LittleBeast
11/19/2008, 11:37 AM
^Yeah adding the keyboard/mouse to a PS3 is pretty easy really

Hotsauce
11/19/2008, 04:17 PM
PS3 will support bluteeth mice or keyboard, or usb connection.

As for the game...

It plays much like reskinned Oblivion. Character here needs items from other side of map sort of thing. The items and scenes are excellent, the movement of the NPC's and opponents is a little stiff.

I do like the idea that you choose your role of good or evil, much like Deus Ex, it determines final outcome.

Once you figure out that you NEED to use R2 for effective combat its much easier to play. I used scoped .44, and sniper rifle exclusivly, and took down every opponent with them easily. I was a little disapointed that the game ended when it did, and I wasn't able to finish the rest of the world. I'm replaying now from an earlier save.

I played 'good' on the first way through, I'm going to try it again as evil.

John C.

kodiak
11/20/2008, 05:10 AM
I still need to pick it up. I got it to a little VX mod project that cut in to my gaming time. I’ll post the mod later.:cool:

WormGod
11/20/2008, 08:24 AM
What John is talking about (R2) is VATS. Strategic targeting system that allows you to set up shots and get a bullet-time style playback of your attack. Good fun really, and IMHO, never gets old.

I just beat Fable II, Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery so I am gonna get cranking on Fallout 3 now to get myself some achievements. If you play on 360, my tag is "VXSS". Just started playing it last night and made my character "Obama", who has a very decent resemblance, heh. Saving the world, one mutant at a time! ;)

LittleBeast
11/20/2008, 09:10 AM
Not to take anything away from Fallout 3 truly a great game, but I just got Little Big Planet, and played for hours with some buddies of mine and I can honestly say I have never had that much fun and laughed so hard in my life, that game is the most entertaining game I have played to date. Two thumbs way way up, and Resistance 2 is phenomenal as well.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 09:24 AM
HOLD THE PHONE! So you are saying that there are games that you can use keyboard and mouse with on the PS3? I mean, I know the devices can be hooked up to the PS3, but I thought it was a problem to use keyboard and mouse with most games?

Bart

PS - Yeah, I saw some stuff about Little Big Planet on G4 and I really couldn't understand what all the hub-bub was about. I guess I will just have to play it to find out. In a nut shell, what is so fun about it?

PPS - I just finished playing the Left For Dead demo on Steam. I enjoyed it a lot. I am debating whether or not to buy it. I just don't wanna spend $50 on a video game at the moment...

LittleBeast
11/20/2008, 09:43 AM
PS - Yeah, I saw some stuff about Little Big Planet on G4 and I really couldn't understand what all the hub-bub was about. I guess I will just have to play it to find out. In a nut shell, what is so fun about it?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=139606#post139606

kodiak
12/27/2008, 11:58 AM
Well I started playing Fallout 3 last night and couldn’t stop playing entail about 5am. The world is massive and so open. It an RPG_FPS, awesome game so far and I love my dog.:thumbup:

mdwyer
12/28/2008, 10:36 PM
Well I started playing Fallout 3 last night and couldn’t stop playing entail about 5am.

Hmmm... I got Fallout 3 from Santa, but I haven't installed it, yet. I'm afraid I'll 1) run out of disk space and 2) play until 5am.

kodiak
01/09/2009, 01:19 PM
Well I finished the game a couple days ago. It took me awhile to figure out that QuiGon was my dad.:laughing: Very cool game. I love how it combines the open world envierment with the occasional action packed linear game play. It’s definitely the best game I’ve played this and last year with left4Dead coming a close 2nd. BART! You do know that Fallout3 was designed specifically for you right?

P.S. I do have one request. EXPANSION!!!

nfpgasmask
01/09/2009, 01:46 PM
BART! You do know that Fallout3 was designed specifically for you right?

I have always looked at the FallOut games and known that I would probably like them. However, I am always stuck in the same way I am right now, that is, with an outdated PC that need more video power. For some reason, I have always been on the Half-Life upgrade schedule...that is, when Half-Life came out, I bought a new PC, when HL:2 came out, a new PC. So, when is HL:3 coming out? That's where I will probably upgrade.

And I STILL need to buy LFD.

Bart

kodiak
01/09/2009, 01:59 PM
I hear ya. Rent it for the PS3. It doesn’t look as good as the PC version but it’s not too bad. Generally I don’t do FPS’s on consoles but this one with it’s targeting system might be ok.

Hotsauce
01/09/2009, 06:59 PM
I'm a little dissapointed at the ending.

I replayed, and brought Fawkes with me, remembering his earlier help....Nope, denied. I really thought I had it there.

Lots of interesting side quests to do, and places to figure out. Vampires, Aliens, etc.

Still haven't figured out what happens when I activate a radio tower.

Still haven't figured out what the satcom array is for.

Still haven't fugured out what Fort Constantine is for.

John C.

kodiak
01/10/2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah, if you fallow the main quest path the game will end pretty quickly. I took another look at the PS3 version last night. It’s actually not very good. You can't see as far and there's a lot of pixilation and artifacts. I’ve noticed that some games don’t port over to the PS3 very well.

WormGod
01/12/2009, 08:28 AM
Some of the things that people found disappointing about the endings are being tweaked in upcoming DLCs. We heard the pitchforks and torches beating at our front door so we did something about it. And know that in the next, I guess, couple of weeks to 4 months or so, we will be releasing DLCs. All of which I have been working on and playing with and there are a LOT of cool new additions as far as story, NPCs, locations, weapons (YAY!), creatures, and armor.

Operation: Anchorage - Enter a military simulation and fight in one of the greatest battles of the Fallout universe – the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders. An action-packed battle scheduled for release in January.

The Pitt - Journey to the industrial raider town called The Pitt, located in the remains of Pittsburgh. Choose your side. Scheduled for release in February.

Broken Steel - Join the ranks of the Brotherhood of Steel and rid the Capital Wasteland of the Enclave remnants once and for all. Continues the adventure past the main quest. Scheduled for release in March.

Sorry PS3 guys.... no releases for you all. PC and 360 exclusive.

kodiak
01/12/2009, 09:23 AM
Nice! I’m looking forward to it. I download the Garden of Eden Creation Kit last night, allowing user content is brilliant. I can just imagine some of the crazy mods that are going to come from it. I have a feeling Fallout 3 is going to be around for a long time. :thumbup:

P.S. After all Counter Strike was a user mod and look how good it did.

WormGod
01/12/2009, 11:16 AM
Already played around with some great fan mods.

One allowing you to call in a Vertibird for air support or to drop off a squad of Enclave soldiers for you to command.

Of course, the nude mods, heh. These are always the first to appear. Fans never cease to amuse me.

Many companion mods adding new NPCs to aid you, or just giving existing NPCs support to join you.

TONS of new weapons and armor.

Graphical updates like larger textures with more detail. These tend to bring even the beefiest of systems to a halt (I have a P i7 w/ 3gig DDR3 at home and it came to screeching halt on many of these).

Gameplay tweaks for weapons, creatures, NPCs, UI.... many of which alter balancing for easier or more difficult gameplay.

Many, many more. I have fun on weekends just sitting down and downloading a few to check them out. Some great stuff out there.

kodiak
01/12/2009, 11:47 AM
lol! That’s awesome. Yeah I need download some tonight. Only problem is usually about 90% of user mods are absolute crap, but there’s that 10% that just makes it all worth while.:rolleyes:

WormGod
01/14/2009, 07:57 AM
New patch just came out too. Fixes quite a few things. On all versions.

FYI, we needed to put the patch out before the 1st DLC as it has some things needed for DLC to work properly. So, consider that a hint that something is coming very soon. ;)

kodiak
01/14/2009, 11:32 AM
Nice, I’ll get the patch today. I’ll also be testing it on Windows 7. :eek:

VXR
04/26/2009, 11:42 AM
Just started playing this on my 360 last week. Definitely one of the best games I have played...

don moore
04/26/2009, 04:59 PM
whats this I hear..LAS VEGAS???

kodiak
04/26/2009, 11:09 PM
I can’t wait! ;)

WormGod
04/27/2009, 09:05 AM

Cool beans eh? I look forward to it too. I think Obsidian is gonna do it some great justice. :)