PDA

View Full Version : tow weight

roguebrun
09/24/2008, 04:54 PM
has anyone towed anything over 5000lbs with there vehicross if so how much and what extra tow package items did you put on ie tranny cooler etc....was it safe and whats the deal with the overdrive button should you use it when towing i heard it will tear up your transmission

tom4bren
09/24/2008, 05:03 PM
I've only towed my SeaDoo Sportster which is well under the weight you listed. I did not have to go with a tranny cooler (I'd like to add one though for long hauls). The VX handles the SeaDoo just fine but I usually push the power button just because the shift points are better for towing. Sorry I can't be more help.

erland
09/24/2008, 06:31 PM
3500lbs max anything more and you will be all over the road. The VX cannot handle a weight distribution hitch which is what almost all full size trucks require to pull over 5000lbs.

Solitude
09/26/2008, 06:04 PM
I dont think no matter how much cooling you put on it.. that 4L30 can't pull that kind of weight

Ldub
09/26/2008, 06:09 PM
3500lbs max anything more and you will be all over the road. The VX cannot handle a weight distribution hitch which is what almost all full size trucks require to pull over 5000lbs.

In case you don't have one...
The owners manual advises..."NO TOWING"

But if you want to put another VX in the "salvage pool", I'm cool wit that.:naughty:
(not speaking to Erland, just re-enforcing his stance)

psychos2
09/27/2008, 08:22 AM
I towed a 22 ft donzi from cape cod mass to bolton landing ny .the boat weighs about 4000 lbs without the trailer. I do not know the weight of the trailer. I would guess maybe 800 to 1000 lbs. So I guess the answer is yes I have towed a 5000 lbs boat with the vx. It towed just fine. But I would not do it on a regular basis. The short wheel base and the weight of the vx make for an accident waiting to happen. This was with a dalan hitch and it is welded to the frame to make it stronger. I really do not know how safe it was ,but would not tow anymore than 5000 lbs down the road. Stopping that much weight in an emergency would not be fun or safe. I have moved larger boats at work with the vx just around the yard ,the hitch handled it no problem . But it would not be safe towing a 9000 lb boat down the road. shawn

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3038/thumbs/64boat2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1462)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3038/thumbs/64boat3.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1463)

roguebrun
10/03/2008, 10:18 AM
ok I picked up the trailer and towed it 100 miles at 4100lbs was not bad considering I did not have the breaks hooked up I live in Texas so I figure as long as you don't go over 5000lbs and are not hitting any hills you should be fine. my question is why can't you have a weight distribution hitch on the vehicross?

PK
10/03/2008, 05:03 PM
Guys, I have been watching this tread with interest.
I have been towing caravans, boats, and heavy trailers for the past 35 years.

I love my Vehicross, but would never tow anything over about 3000 lbs with it.

It has the power, but with the very short wheelbase and relatively low weight, it does not have the stability for an emergency stop.
It would be like the tail wagging the dog.

In addition, I had to get an engineer to certify the tow hitch on my Vehicross, as the car is not recognised here in Tasmania. (I have the only one in the state.)
The engineer would only certify it for 1000 lbs without trailer brakes, and 3500 lbs with trailer brakes.

You will get away with towing more - until you have an emergency stop on a wet road.
Then we will all be picking parts off your wreck.

I hope you take this as it is intended - constructive advice.

Regards

PK

Ldub
10/03/2008, 11:04 PM
In case you don't have one...
The owners manual advises..."NO TOWING"

But if you want to put another VX in the "salvage pool", I'm cool wit that.:naughty:
(not speaking to Erland, just re-enforcing his stance)

Guys, I have been watching this tread with interest.
I have been towing caravans, boats, and heavy trailers for the past 35 years.

I love my Vehicross, but would never tow anything over about 3000 lbs with it.

It has the power, but with the very short wheelbase and relatively low weight, it does not have the stability for an emergency stop.
It would be like the tail wagging the dog.

In addition, I had to get an engineer to certify the tow hitch on my Vehicross, as the car is not recognised here in Tasmania. (I have the only one in the state.)
The engineer would only certify it for 1000 lbs without trailer brakes, and 3500 lbs with trailer brakes.

You will get away with towing more - until you have an emergency stop on a wet road.
Then we will all be picking parts off your wreck.

I hope you take this as it is intended - constructive advice.

Regards

PK

Yep...:rolleyesg

And in case you're still wondering why a "weight distribution" hitch doesn't work...look at how much wheelbase you have to distribute that towing weight over...:luck:

psychos2
10/04/2008, 05:28 AM
What are the specs for towing with a 2 door trooper? Here is a link to a previous post on towing.Read what tone says in the post. shawn
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2962&highlight=towing+capacity

roguebrun
10/04/2008, 07:58 AM
the engine can pull 5000lbs but make sure and put a tranny cooler and add anything else to keep the engine from overheating. I think taking an ocasional weekend trip with no mountains (Texas is pretty flat) and fair weather (no wet roads) ( no heavy winds) you should be ok. your right about the emergency stop it would be hard to make any manuever but this goes for any car pulling any trailer semi trucks wreck and jacknife all the time. so the best advise with any trailer or tow is drive 5 miles below the speed limit and always give yourself lots of room to stop and always always be on guard. saying this the VX is only a temporary vehicle to tow with and I will probably upgrade to an FJ cruiser in a few years. also you should have trailer breaks and anything that you think would make it safer. I still don't know why you would not put on a weight distribution hitch and sway bars as that would make it safer to tow. :bgwg:

roguebrun
10/04/2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.autoanything.com/suv/isuzu/trooper/95A4A37A252.aspx

johnnyapollo
10/04/2008, 07:22 PM
I've towed over 5000 pounds (trailer full of books) a short distance (couple of miles) and wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. I've got Tone's hitch and it worked well without issues. The motor didn't have a problem with it but performance was ackward/sluggish to say the least. The main problem was in braking - coming to a stop took a concerted effort with plenty of room - the first time I came to a stop it just kept going - too much mass going in a straight line. Afterwards I compensated - the VX had no problem going up steep hills with that type of load but ideally you'd want a brake assist, tranny coolor and perhaps a Class 4 hitch, or at least have one welded to the frame (mine isn't) to reduce the pucker factor.

-- John

psychos2
10/04/2008, 09:25 PM
I am not saying it is safe,or I would do it on a regular basis. But I am saying it can be done. And there are laws in NY anyway that say a trailer over a certain weight must have brakes It makes a big difference when the trailer has brakes. I would not tow a trailer that heavy without them. shawn

Cobrajet
10/05/2008, 03:29 PM
I have to laugh when I think back to the late 70's when I pulled a U-haul trailer full of parts with my Cobra using a temporary bumper hitch. 4000+ pound car, a couple thousand pounds of trailer and parts, stopping with 4 non-power drum brakes! Ahh, those were the days! I never had any problem getting up to speed, though. :)