PDA

View Full Version : DTC readers anyone?

WormGod
09/21/2008, 04:21 PM
Well, after 7 years, my VX has FINALLY decided to throw a CEL. For no apparent reason and with no noticeable affects. Pulled into a gas station to fill up a 2gal gas can for my lawnmower and upon leaving,, "BLING", say hello to the oh-so orange CHECK ENGINE, heh.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangtuning/cel-image-lg.jpg

I suspect air or fuel management but am not quick to jump the gun here because of the S/C and plethora of other new air and fuel components I fitted just last year. Idling rpms have slowly started to levitate on it's own over the last year and sometimes stall if no throttle is induced but it was never a big enough issue to deal with. It usually corrected itself after about 5 secs of a 2k RPM idle rev.

I hooked my reader (DIYDiagnostics) up to it last night and came to realize that my reader doesn't work at all now. Nada. Nil. Nothing. So, I am looking for another. I looked around a PepBoys today to see if I could just get an el'cheapo but man, they were just that.... El'Cheapo. I am in no hurry as the VX actually runs and operates fine so I figure I can research for a better bang for the buck.

So far, I have come across this....

Equus 3100 DTC Reader (http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3100-Diagnostic-Post-1996-Vehicles/dp/B000EVWDAK)

Looks pretty solid to me though it is not exactly the cheapest out there.

Anyone know of any other ones that are quite worthy?

Ldub
09/21/2008, 04:45 PM
It'll cost more, but I like my 2-1/16" scan gauge from Tone...
http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
The ability to read & clear codes "on the fly" has kept me sane,(or closer to it) more than once.
The larger, rectangular scan gauge is another good option, that is a little le$$ moolah...
http://scangauge.com/
If you're currently using an oiled gauze type air filter, my guess is that your MAF needs to be cleaned, or there's a vac leak in the system.:_wrench:
I recently had a PCV valve split in half, causing a vac leak & CEL with similar symptoms.

kodiak
09/22/2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah, what Ldub said.:thumbup:

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/22/2008, 02:32 AM
Don't laugh..but mine is from Wally World and it seems to work pretty good. They have 2 versions...one for like $68 and the one I bought for like $98. Both are made by the same company and the only difference between the two is the more 'spensive one has a usb cable to hook up to you 'puter with a cd included. I have never used this feature so cannot comment on its practicality. I've had it for like 1.5 to 2 years stuffed in the glove box and use it every now and then for my vehicles as well as buddies.

VehiGAZ
09/22/2008, 06:13 AM
Autozone will read the code for you for free. At least you can find out what happened without having to shell out for a good code reader.

etlsport
09/22/2008, 06:16 AM
i like my square boring scangauge... works well to read and clear codes.. plus gives me instantaneous engine readouts.... only ones i really look at are water temp and voltage.. but its still nice to have them

WormGod
09/22/2008, 07:08 AM
The thing is, I use the reader for not only both of my cars, but family and friends (to try to make a buck off of them before they shell out more duckets on a shop ;) ). Just something that I can pluck up out of the garage and throw in the car.

And ya Dub, that is more what I am leaning towards. I have never been happy with the intake system from filter to TB, and since messing around with this stuff about a year ago, this is where most of these small issues started. I am confident that is the issue. Though, I admit, my EGR refuses to "clean" up anymore, so I may be looking at getting a new one.... so I won't rule that out.

Ldub
09/22/2008, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=WormGod;135700]The thing is, I use the reader for not only both of my cars, but family and friends (to try to make a buck off of them before they shell out more duckets on a shop ;) ). Just something that I can pluck up out of the garage and throw in the car.QUOTE]

I know you don't want to $pend that much, but, depending on how it's mounted, a scan gauge could still be made portable with the purchace of an extra OBD cable...:naughty:

nfpgasmask
09/22/2008, 12:53 PM
I recently had a PCV valve split in half

Ummm, how exactly does that happen? Purolator?

Bart

LittleBeast
09/22/2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry not meaning to thread jack but can the Scan Gauge change the tire size in the computer to correct the Odometer, miles per gallon, etc? Thanks.

nfpgasmask
09/22/2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry not meaning to thread jack but can the Scan Gauge change the tire size in the computer to correct the Odometer, miles per gallon, etc? Thanks.

I know it can do the tire size speedo fix, but I do not think it corrects the ODO.

Bart

Ldub
09/22/2008, 02:54 PM
Ummm, how exactly does that happen? Purolator?

Bart

The top half seperated from the bottom when I got a little over zealous trying to remove it...:rolleyesg
I figured...ah, just snap it back together & let-R-buck....Dinna work so goood...:sighwgray

nfpgasmask
09/22/2008, 02:59 PM
over zealous

You? Over zealous? Naawwwwwww!

:) Bart

Cobrajet
09/22/2008, 04:09 PM
I've been using an Actron scanner from Sears Like this one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947059000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tools+%26+Equipment&sName=Automotive+Testing+Equipment) for several years. Cost me about $150, but I needed something for my Lincoln, S2000, and VX. Not very fancy, but gets the job done.

etlsport
09/22/2008, 04:28 PM
i have my scangauge flush mounted in the ecu cover of the vx.. still can pull it out fairly easily, i ordered a second cable for it (scangauge separates from its cord via an RJ-45 connector) so i leave the one behind the dash and the other in the glove box so that i can pull it out and test other cars

as far as i know the speedometer reading is a mechanical thing you need to change the gears in the gauge cluster to correct it.. bbut you can get an accurate reading on the scangauge of your speed by putting in your tire size change factor

twistedsymphony
09/24/2008, 05:18 AM
I know it can do the tire size speedo fix, but I do not think it corrects the ODO.

Bart
if it works like most other cars the ODO get's it's signal from the speedo so if one is correct so is the other.

Also most Autoparts stores will scan your car FREE..
VIP, Autozone, Napa, Advanced, Pepboys, etc... just ask they'll plug in and read your code and wont charge you a dime...

in my state I need to be CEL free for the annual state inspection. Had the EGR go on me just one week before my inspection (d'oh) I tried cleaning it twice and it would be CEL free for a day or two and then it would come back so I just bit the bullet and bought a new one on ebay (~100 after searching for a while most new ones go for 150-200)... came with a new gasket and everything and the VX is much happier now.

WormGod
09/30/2008, 07:13 AM
Ordered the ScanGaugeII yesterday. Figured if I am gonna spend that much money, I may as well get something that looks good enough to actually USE while driving and not just throw in the toolbox when done.

Ldub
09/30/2008, 07:16 AM
Ordered the ScanGaugeII yesterday. Figured if I am gonna spend that much money, I may as well get something that looks good enough to actually USE while driving and not just throw in the toolbox when done.

Good choice...:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
09/30/2008, 08:14 AM

Yeah, you can even change the display color to your liking. I have mine mounted in a hole cut in the plastic below where the CD changer used to be. I think it looks pretty good there.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/vector.jpg

Bart

mdwyer
09/30/2008, 08:48 AM
For what it is worth, I have the Actron CP9175 (http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9175-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Post-1996/dp/B000FJS8O6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1222790114&sr=1-9). No frills to it. They have a simpler model that JUST showed you the code and allows you to clear it. I think that would be just as effective. In any case, the one I have is under $100 right now. I get to pull it out of the garage every couple months when I need to talk a car down off a ledge...

I also have a CarChip (http://www.amazon.com/CarChip-OBDII-CAN-Data-Logger/dp/B000J2ERHQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1222790294&sr=1-4). It is able to read and clear codes, but it is such a pain to do so, that I can't recommend buying it for that reason. Actually, the only reason to get it might be covering your butt after an accident or a speeding ticket, I guess. I really don't use it anymore, but I still leave it plugged in.