PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the dealer... 10yr / 100k warranty still in affect.

VCAMILO
09/19/2008, 10:03 AM
I took my 2001 VX in for the 80k tune up / 50k tune up and it was about $900 bucks in stuff. Pulley bearing was out, serpentine belt, timing belt, trans flush, rear axle flush, filled with the new GMC semi-synthetic fluid, etc...

Then the service rep calls me and tells me that the car also needs work on the rear axle (10hrs each side), the power steering was leaking, front CV boots were cracked, a few gaskets here and there, and a shifter module was bad because of the power steering leak. To my surprise it was all covered under the 10yr / 100k mile warranty. So my total bill was $1080 because the shifter module was not covered at $170 bucks.

The next day I took the car back because of a new exhaust leak coming from the engine and my erratic AC fan behavior. After 2 minutes of talking to my new service guy (my two previous service guy's were my personal friends... but recommended me to this this old timer) he told me that the exhaust leak was due to the EGR valve bolt (or something like that) that have come undone. The mechanic had noticed it before but did not want to mess with it because of the treads. It’s behind the engine at the top left corner. So this morning after the engine was cold I got in there and made it tight. The AC fan can be replaced for $60 bucks and it behind the glove compartment accessible by doing a hand stand on the passenger side. Four bolts its all you need to remove the thing.

So, once again I’m leaving the dealer very happy. It's nice to have friends at my local dealer. The good thing is that the same Isuzu tech has been working on my car since 2002. He knows my VX very well. :cool:

bentcipher
09/19/2008, 10:09 AM
Curious about your shifter module... did it feel "bad" before the mechanic told you it was. Something that I always thought was a bit abnormal about my Vx is that it's pretty harsh when engaging gears - i.e. putting it in drive makes it "jump" forward a little bit. Just thought it was weird.

My p/s is leaking too but haven't gotten to taking it apart yet... ;)

VX1032
09/19/2008, 11:07 AM
I had that exact same problem with the EGR bolt. I ran it for a year not really caring about it, just making noise and all. Then when I took it in for the full 60K service at 52k, they found that as what I thought was an exhaust leak and tightened it for free. Dealers are nice when you spend a lot of money.

VCAMILO
09/19/2008, 01:12 PM
When I used to shift from Drive to Reverse sometimes I would hear the tranny shift hard. Some would say its the linkage that needed to be tension correctly. I have not noiced it in the last two days. Also while in Power mode it would shift hard at lower speeds. I will have to keep and eye on it in the the next few days. Im going off roading this sunday and I can take a look at those two senarios.

VehiGAZ
09/19/2008, 01:25 PM
the car also needs work on the rear axle (10hrs each side)

By that, he meant that his Isuzu warranty work account needs some beefing up! But what do you care... you're getting a tip-top ride out of the deal.

10 hrs a side?! Even when my VX was in the shop for a month for a differential rebuild, they didn't bill that many hours!