PDA

View Full Version : got codes 43 and 12

zadam123
09/15/2008, 06:03 PM
took my car to get the abs checked out and pulled codes 43 and 12? Anyone know what these are?

I replaced the abs module about 4 years ago and think they were the same codes.

rowhard
09/15/2008, 06:37 PM
Just looked at my code sheet and can't find it, need more info like a P0121 or something like that

zadam123
09/16/2008, 04:25 AM
thats all they told me code 43 is ft holding solenoid valve .not sure what other is they should be under abs

Ldub
09/16/2008, 04:46 AM
Took me a while to find, but here ya go...:_wrench:
These have all been posted here in the past, but I can't remember who to give credit to...sorry for my poor record keeping.:sighwgray

BTW, if you see this Scott, could we include this info. in the knowlege base?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/abs1234.gif

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/66mk.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/absdtc.gif

zadam123
09/16/2008, 09:49 AM
so is this the abs module. should i look at something else. if its the abs module is there a reason this would be the 2nd time i would be changing this in 4 yrs? seems crazy since its a 2100$ item, could something be causing this to go?

zadam123
09/21/2008, 06:09 AM
Anyone know this info?

Where the shorted or disconected wire can be?

Y33TREKker
09/21/2008, 07:29 AM
Does the vehicle now actually feel abnormal under braking? IIRC, if the ABS system records a fault code, the ABS system isn't even used until the fault code is cleared and/or the problem is fixed.

You might trying erasing the code using the procedure Ldub posted to determine if the code reappears. If nothing else, you could try disconnecting the main electrical connector from the ABS unit, check both parts (male and female ends) for corrosion/debris that may be causing a bad connection, then reconnect and see what happens. What's showing up as a short or disconnected wire may just be a bad connection of some sort.

zadam123
09/21/2008, 12:45 PM
Does the vehicle now actually feel abnormal under braking? IIRC, if the ABS system records a fault code, the ABS system isn't even used until the fault code is cleared and/or the problem is fixed.

You might trying erasing the code using the procedure Ldub posted to determine if the code reappears. If nothing else, you could try disconnecting the main electrical connector from the ABS unit, check both parts (male and female ends) for corrosion/debris that may be causing a bad connection, then reconnect and see what happens. What's showing up as a short or disconnected wire may just be a bad connection of some sort.

my vehicle has no abs now, I know this cause i tried to stop in the rain and locked the wheels, I also have befor disconected the battery to cancel all codes for the check engine light, I think it also resets the abs, though i may be wrong, if it does the light still comes on,

you said to try disconnecting the main electrical connector from the ABS unit, check both parts (male and female ends) for corrosion/debris that may be causing a bad connection, where is this connector?

thanks

Y33TREKker
09/21/2008, 01:07 PM
my vehicle has no abs now, I know this cause i tried to stop in the rain and locked the wheels, I also have befor disconected the battery to cancel all codes for the check engine light, I think it also resets the abs, though i may be wrong, if it does the light still comes on,

To clear the codes/reset the ecu, did you also do the brake pedal procedure indicated in the info Ldub posted? I don't know that just disconnecting the battery clears stored codes.

you said to try disconnecting the main electrical connector from the ABS unit, check both parts (male and female ends) for corrosion/debris that may be causing a bad connection, where is this connector?

thanks

The ABS unit I'm talking about is located at the rear passenger side of the engine compartment (towards the rear of the vehicle from the fuse box). Is this the same unit that was replaced on your VX? The electrical connector is on the front side (towards the fuse box). I didn't disconnect mine, but I'm guessing that you slide that retaining clip towards the engine to release the connector from the ABS module.

zadam123
09/21/2008, 07:06 PM
I have no idea what they are saying about reseting the codes. anyone konw if a battery reset wil reset abs? or can anyone give a more basic explination on a reset