PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator

Joe Isuzu
09/08/2008, 06:42 PM
Up for grabs is the modified allen wrench needed as well as complete instructions on how to replace your fuel pressure regulator. This is courtesy of etlsport. Simple process, just kinda pain the butt to access some of the parts due to the location on the engine. First to respond with interest gets the part and instructions.

LittleBeast
11/18/2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah my VX has all of the symptoms now, idle low then high then low then wont idle, so I ordered the Fuel Pressure Regulator today from St Charles Isuzu and will be putting it on ASAP, so let me know how to get this from you, thank.

Ldub
11/18/2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah my VX has all of the symptoms now, idle low then high then low then wont idle, so I ordered the Fuel Pressure Regulator today from St Charles Isuzu and will be putting it on ASAP, so let me know how to get this from you, thank.

When you get the FPR from Merlin, marvel at the GM part number on the packaging...then, if you would, post a pic of the packaging with the legible part #. I'd like to do a little checking around for cross referencing...:naughty:

LittleBeast
11/18/2008, 12:57 PM
Will do.

nfpgasmask
11/18/2008, 01:04 PM
I might still have the packaging from mine too. I will poke around in the garage and see.

And you know, I changed my FPR before Moab this past May, and on occassion, my VX will have a surging idle when I start up. It does it for 5 or 6 revs and then levels out normally. Its weird.

Bart

Joe Isuzu
11/18/2008, 08:21 PM
Littlebeast, responded to your PM, I forwarded the part and the instructions to someone else on this forum shortly after I posted, I didn't keep the message but whomever has the allen wrench and instructions, please let littlebeast know if you're done with the FPR change

circmand
11/19/2008, 07:01 AM
I am waiting to hear back

LittleBeast
11/19/2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks everybody circmand is sending it on to me :thumbup:
I barely got the VX home yesterday, but hopefully it will be back up and running in no time :_steering

Chopper
11/19/2008, 11:53 AM
I might still have the packaging from mine too. I will poke around in the garage and see.

And you know, I changed my FPR before Moab this past May, and on occassion, my VX will have a surging idle when I start up. It does it for 5 or 6 revs and then levels out normally. Its weird.

Bart

0177 has done this, very mildly (50 or 100 rpm) very occasionally, since the day it was born. A light stab on the loud pedal ends it pronto.

pbkid
11/19/2008, 11:59 AM
ya, i have the same issue......

usually like 2k rpm idle with your foot for like 3 seconds will fix it for me...

IndianaVX
11/19/2008, 12:15 PM
get me a part number also, i have an "in" at a gm dealership, more importantly the parts department, and can usually get a bit of a price break. when i see the part number, i will call and get a price to compare around. i need to do this also.

LittleBeast
11/19/2008, 12:33 PM
By "barely got it home yesterday" I mean it died on me every single time I started it without my foot on the accelerator, and it died every time I started to slow down or brake and did not have my foot on the accelerator keeping it above 1k rpms, and when I gave it gas it would choke and sputtering and barely get up to speed at all. I know what you guys are talking about mine does the bouncing idle every once and a while, but yesterday was scary in 5pm traffic in Houston, knowing that the VX would cut off if I hit the brake without my right foot on the gas at least above 1k or so. I will get the part numbers and photos up as soon as I get the part in.

circmand
11/19/2008, 12:58 PM
using the brakes at 5 in Houston anyhow?;eekp;

JGeorge264
11/19/2008, 09:15 PM
Mine was doing that exact same thing Little Beast. I fixed it with a new idle control valve. It gets filled up with carbon like the EGR does. You can clean it but it was a fairly inexpensive part ($50 or so)and its a 5 minute replacement so I just put in a new one.

Jody

tom4bren
11/20/2008, 05:50 AM
"I barely got the VX home yesterday, but hopefully it will be back up and running in no time"

Sorry to hear you ran into troubles getting home after I met you - hope I didn't jinx you:)

Maybe it was just scared since it knew you thought it would be up on blocks for a few days.

Good luck.

Chopper
11/20/2008, 06:27 AM
You can usually clean an IAC...just use electronic cleaner not degreaser or brake cleaner. The one on the Lightning truck needs to be done every 10k or so. So far the Isuzu has stayed pretty clean.

nfpgasmask
11/20/2008, 08:18 AM
Mine was doing that exact same thing Little Beast. I fixed it with a new idle control valve. It gets filled up with carbon like the EGR does. You can clean it but it was a fairly inexpensive part ($50 or so)and its a 5 minute replacement so I just put in a new one.

Jody

Where exactly is the Idle Control Valve??

Thanks - Bart

JGeorge264
11/20/2008, 01:09 PM
(from previous thread to quote VX Extreme)

Since I have a S/C on my engine and the throttle body is mounted upside down on the S/C'd engines, the idle control valve should be on the upper left hand side of the throttle body on a stock engine. This would be when you are looking at the engine with the hood open looking toward the windshield. It is a dark gray/black domed sensor that has an electrical plug going into it. It has 2 screws (I believe they were torx screws) holding it into the throttle body. I would recommend that you remove the throttle body and clean it and not just the idle control valve. The port that the idle control valve closes against was pretty dirt with oil buildup on mine as was the idle control valve itself. I don't think that you can clean that port well without removing the throttle body. You want to also clean around the ports where the butterfly valve in the throttle body closes. I would recommend removing the throttle body. It only take about 30 - 45 minutes to remove, clean and reinstall.

LittleBeast
12/01/2008, 10:41 AM
Fuel Pressure Regulator replacement how to:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12021

Dino did a great how to on this mod!

Moncha, is there any way to get this listed on the How To's? I did not see it there, under engine how to's. Thanks.

tom4bren
12/01/2008, 10:47 AM
Moncha,

I think I've already created a pdf for this. Is the easiest way to get it to the right place for me to post is to the download & you move it over to the how2?

Tom

WormGod
12/01/2008, 11:36 AM
0177 has done this, very mildly (50 or 100 rpm) very occasionally, since the day it was born. A light stab on the loud pedal ends it pronto.

Funny you say this because this has been my "quick fix" for this until I replace some guts. Unfortunately, it did not work for me this weekend. On start, the engine instantly revved and idled at 2500. AFter about 3-5 seconds, it would drop to about 1500 and rev right back up to 2500 again. Rinse and repeat a few times. Typical rev on startup, but it has never revved so high. I pumped the accel once up to about 3k, which usually kicks it in to acting normal, but strangely enough, it stayed at 3k. I hopped out real fast and look under the hood to see if the throttle cable was sticking, but the throttle body and cable were fine. I gave the TB a rev by hand and it still continued at 3k. Hated to do it, but I let it stay there for a few more revs before it finally gave in and stalled. I didn't want to hot cut the ignition. I turned it back on about 10 minutes later and it was fine. Turned right over too.

Needless to say, she stayed in the garage all weekend. I don't need to wear this problem thicker than it already is. I have enough parts on my "to do" list already. :(

LittleBeast
12/08/2008, 10:57 AM
I did the FPR swap and Idle Control Valve cleaning last night, and the VX now idles and drives A LOT more smooth! Probably as smooth as I have ever experienced. Pics will follow tomorrow probably. I hate to admit this but everything went smoothly except that at first I was turning the back bolt the wrong way because it was facing the firewall and I didn't stop to think about which way to turn it, but I got it off after I realized I was trying to tighten it at first and then I just replaced both of those allen head bolts with some 12mm spares bolts from other VX projects and it looks good as new, and more importantly runs better than ever, literally!

Oh and the Idle Control Valve was pretty black in there, but it is spotless now ;)

circmand
03/16/2009, 10:23 AM
on post and pics about the fix:(

LittleBeast
04/06/2009, 03:01 PM
on post and pics about the fix:(

Dang! I am so sorry! The only photos I have right now are there:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/3-6-09_054.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/3-6-09_057.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/3-6-09_062.jpg
Which probably don't help too much, but those are the part numbers and GM reference numbers that LDub wanted and a pic of the part. What other pictures did you want?

MSHardeman
04/06/2009, 03:19 PM
circmand,
I'm not sure which pics you're waiting on, but the link that LittleBeast listed above of Dino's fuel pressure regulator replacement how-to is excellent. I used Dino's step by step when I replaced my regulator and everything went off without a hitch.

circmand
04/06/2009, 04:46 PM
and in a later post on 12/8 she mentioned she would post pictures. I assumed she meant additional pictures since it was after the post. I was not meaning to be critical I just was reminding her just in case like me a lot of times she just forgot.

MSHardeman
04/06/2009, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I wasn't being critical because information is what this site is all about. I just wasn't sure if you where waiting on pressure regulator pictures or pictures of the idle control valve.

Oh, and LittleBeast is a dude. One rad dude I might add.:p

circmand
04/07/2009, 07:53 AM
to littlebeast

LittleBeast
04/07/2009, 05:24 PM
HAHAHA classic. My VX is nicknamed LittleBeast it does not refer to me, lol :)